Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erotic Crab
Oct 16, 2004

*BBRRRR* It's cold in here!
My current dilemma:

I've had a job as a graphic designer at one of the top theatrical design companies in Los Angeles for a few months now (very competitive), but I just got a letter of acceptance for the Art Center graduate program. I can't stay at the company while at school since the job demands 60+ hours a week. What do I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erotic Crab
Oct 16, 2004

Akaikami posted:

See if they will take you back upon graduation and then decide. If you already have a great job, why do you need to go back to grad school?

I want to teach university students at some point, but you need a graduate degree to do that. Other then that, I don't know why I want to go back to school; I just like school :\ Somebody tell me if this is a stupid idea or not...

Erotic Crab
Oct 16, 2004

Hey, I was just given the greenlight to move forward on the production of a video for a 3.5 minute song that both teaches some advanced scientific concepts as well as showcases the band members playing their instruments with many action shots.

I created the whole video concept, including tying in the very technical science angles, and will now be production designing, character designing, animated in after effects/cinema4d, editing in final cut, and finishing.

I have absolutely no idea how much to charge for that amount of work. What are some rough figures for what you would charge? I will be giving them a large breakdown of the budget requirements, including if I need to hire some additional crew members to help in the production.

Erotic Crab
Oct 16, 2004

Prylex3 posted:

I am really taking an interest in Motion Graphics/Media, switching from Graphic Design. Looking at motion graphic reels interests me, and I am pretty well versed in print and static web stuff.

Are there any recommended schools out there? I notice SCAD has a Motion Media program, but that seems like a rarity. Most schools I look at have a Graphic Design, Video, Web or even VFX program, but no in-between that focuses on After Effects or Flash and the like. Am I going about this wrong? Or is this just a really small field?

Motion graphics is still an emerging field, but I would definitely look into working in After Effects, Cinema4D, Maya, and Mocha. I would skip learning Flash, but that's just my opinion.

I don't know of any schools that teach this field, as it's lumped into video programs mostly. It's not all that hard to learn AE or Cinema4D on your own, especially if you're coming from a Photoshop/Illustrator environment.

Erotic Crab
Oct 16, 2004

I got into the Parsons Design & Technology MFA program with some scholarships - does anyone have any experience with this program? It seems pretty good...debating whether to dive in or continue working professionally...