Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoffeeIsForClosers
Nov 26, 2004
Here’s my situation: I’m about to turn 24 and graduate from UC Davis with a non-art degree. I’ve recently realized that art, specifically cartooning/illustration is what I really want to be concentrating on at this point in my life. Is art graduate school at all realistic considering, other than a few drawing and painting classes, I have no background in art and no resume to speak of? To be honest, I’m far more interested in simply learning and growing as an artist, and am in a unique position where I can support myself through online poker, so actually getting credentials and/or a well-paying job aren’t a priority. Are any art academy programs that are open to anyone worth my time? Or will the best option be putting together a portfolio and trying to get into a more selective school?
I would like to live somewhere in SoCal, can anyone tell me anything about the general art scene there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeIsForClosers
Nov 26, 2004

CoffeeIsForClosers posted:

Here’s my situation: I’m about to turn 24 and graduate from UC Davis with a non-art degree. I’ve recently realized that art, specifically cartooning/illustration is what I really want to be concentrating on at this point in my life. Is art graduate school at all realistic considering, other than a few drawing and painting classes, I have no background in art and no resume to speak of? To be honest, I’m far more interested in simply learning and growing as an artist, and am in a unique position where I can support myself through online poker, so actually getting credentials and/or a well-paying job aren’t a priority. Are any art academy programs that are open to anyone worth my time? Or will the best option be putting together a portfolio and trying to get into a more selective school?
I would like to live somewhere in SoCal, can anyone tell me anything about the general art scene there?

Sorry to quote myself, but my question kinda got lost in the shuffle. If it seems too vague or general, it's because I really don't have the first clue about these things.

CoffeeIsForClosers
Nov 26, 2004
Any current or former students of the Academy of Arts University in San Francisco here? I'm thinking of enrolling in the fall and focusing on illustration, if anyone has any experiences or insights they would be much appreciated.