Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dikdik
May 18, 2005

Picture a shrew.... only majestic.

Mein Eyes! posted:

I've still got another year (blargh) left in my BFA, so this is a pressing issue at the moment, but I'm curious if anyone here has had experience working with galleries. I mean this in two senses - working for galleries, either helping to hang or sell or manage or just sit and work shifts; and getting work into galleries, either being part of non-school-related exhibitions or getting represented. I've had a few shows in galleries related to my university, but I'm not sure how to enter the extra-curricular, commercial sphere.

My mid-term plans at the moment are to try and volunteer/intern at a local gallery this fall to get some experience working in a commercial space, then either continue interning in Chicago or see if I can't get a paid position somewhere, while at the same time showing my work around to everyone who can see it.

As a painter, I'm pretty much settled on making my income off of a job either marginally related to art, or a completely art-unrelated day job, and in both cases supplementing that income with portraits and such until I start building a good sales record.

Get to work now and stay where you are. My biggest set back in getting into galleries was losing all the contacts I had made in NYC.

Stay friends with your classmates because they will recommend you. Focus on galleries that carry work similar to yours. Go to their openings and kiss rear end. I know that is terrible and sickening. I hate doing it, but it's they way to get them to remember you. Stop in the gallery constantly.

Send out your porfolio regularly. It will not come back, so prepare to invest lots of money. Write cover letters for every porfolio you send out and include your artist resume.

Until you can show in galleries show in coffee shops so that you have something that isn't school on your resume. When you have your openings kiss rear end. Meet your buyers and be nice so they want to buy more.
Be prepared to be rejected a lot. Like, more than you think you can handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU