Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Well, I wish I'd found this thread some point back.

Anyways, I had been in a print-focused company based in Chicago, for quite a long time-about 15.5 years. Primarily dealing as a Photoshop monkey, but I did do some work with Illustrator and InDesign as well. Last May, my company opted to to offshore positions held by me and my department. Wasn't a bad thing, exactly...I already had a degree myself, I went back to school and finished earlier this spring.

It was a certificate program that focused primarily on web and animation; I felt that I did learn a tremendous amount, too. I've been constantly continuing to work, while doing some volunteer work as I've been looking for work.

I've been looking at positions that ideally have more of an online focus; I've been looking at positions that had more of a production bent too, I had figured that I might have an easier time with it...Still looking.

I've managed to snag more than a few interviews, but it does seem as if I'm hitting a bit of a soft wall with regards to not having more web experience that I can provide as examples or portfolio pieces-I am comfortable with HTML/CSS, and I usually know how to integrate scripts properly into elements on pages.

However, I wouldn't be looking for a development position. I do have a couple of separate sites that I've developed myself as a method to keep myself busy, but I feel that companies that I have interviewed with have been looking for someone a bit more rounded.

The volunteer work I had done for Photo Rescue Japan was fun, though I'm not sure about whether that particular relief effort is going to continue or not, which is a bit of a shame.

Any insight to another resource I might take a look at for looking for work here in Chicago? Ideally it would be something more of a full time position, but I'll consider contract work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Can't hurt to try, I guess. The worst that can happen is they say no. I'm 95% sure all their design work was done in Microsoft Word/Powerpoint and it's really, really awful.

Or, Frontpage...

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
What are the better cities/areas in the country for getting creative positions, even production artist-related positions, outside of Chicago/NY/California?

I've handled positions involving page layout, preflighting, retouching, web & graphic design...Though I'd definitely be more towards the "production" side of tasks, than "creative".