Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
Ok, I have an issue, and I would the advice of my fellow peers.

I graduated in December, and I got a job 2 months later, working for a Print shop in my town.

Yesterday, my boss told me that everything I learned in school was crap, and to just design whatever he says, basically breaking every rule that I had ever learned.

We get no business, but I am constantly riled on for not working fast enough or hard enough, which is odd to me, because we barely have any work.

What the hell do I do? I know that he is wrong, or else places like Pentagram, AIGA, or people like Sagmeister, David Carson, etc, would be poor. Its just confusing, I guess. Anyone else have these kinds of issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Giggity! I got the job offer from the other place, and it will completely benefit me more, I'll actually be doing work, instead of not having anything to do, and having my bosses see that as " not doing anything".

So what I'm wondering now is what's the best way to quit? I can only give a week, and my current work is very family friendly (Bosses are mom and son, and have a way too close Norman Bates thing going on).

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Well, to update, I told my bosses I was leaving at the end of the week, and they got upset. My boss looked like he was going to cry, is that normal?

Anyways, thanks for the advice, all I know is that this week is going to be awkward.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

WOOO Lost my job today, in part due to the Economy, and that the production manager didn't like me too much.

So, while I'm applying for new jobs, I started wondering about maybe Canada. Does anyone know how I can find jobs there?

I'm also thinking South Korea, because I have two friends ( ones a goon) who just got accepted to go there.

Lastly, anyone in Phoenix know of anyone who needs a Print Designer??

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Hey, I'm wondering about Image licenses and their applicability to non-profit organizations...it might be for a flyer, but seeing the organization is a non-profit, i'm wondering if the same rules(creative commons, etc) apply.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

I'm going to vent here for a second.

So, I got laid off of my in-house job because of "Corporate Restructuring", and I've spent the last 2 weeks looking for work. I've had a few nibbles, but today, I had 2 cancel out.

And one of them, I know the guys, I went to a happy hour they sponsored, hung out with one of them, who had lamented about not hiring me the first time I had approached them, and now, it turns out they went for some people who have had "Agency" experience.

I've learned to absolutely HATE "agency" experience, because it seems that everyone wants someone with Agency Experience, but they don't want to hire someone without Agency Experience.

So how the gently caress do I get Agency experience?! Where I went to school, there was no place to intern at, and I lived at an apartment during the summer, so leaving for an un-paid internship was out of the question...it's just aggravating.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Ahh, see, I've always wondered that, because it just seems like the agencies i've met, they just seem like screw-offs and I don't understand why someone "needs" it.

I'd love to know more about the experience, I'm currently looking for work, and with some of these place, if I can convince them otherwise about people with Agency experience, that'd be awesome.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Hazed_blue posted:

Ugh. Scenario time.

New studio is a potentially huge career advancement, but puts you in the middle of nowhere, away from all friends and relatives. Extremely stable and respected place to work.

Current studio would allow you to work full-time for new studio as an outsourcer (and possibly on their books), but career advancement would be halted. You'd actually have to take a step back, becoming a regular dude instead of a lead. But staying allows you to continue living where you enjoy, within driving distance of both you and your wife's family.

What do you do?

edit: to be more clear, would you move to the middle of nowhere for your career, or stay local to do outsourced work for the same studio, but be capped in your advancement?

I'm living this right now. I left a stable job(that would leave me capped in my advancement) in order to start an internship at an extremely respected and big firm in NYC. Potential huge career, portfolio advancements, but yeah, I'm really bummed about the lack of my wife and friends.

I agree with Beat, on many levels. Discuss this with your wife. I did, and it was a tough decision to make, I had to crunch a lot of numbers and potential opportunities, and yeah, I've left Phoenix for the humid oven of NYC.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

So I just finished my internship in NYC.

One thing that was mentioned to me is that my poster work is fantastic, and that I should be doing book covers/posters.

What I'm wondering is outside of Modern Dog, I don't know of any firms that specialize in that kind of work. I'm looking for some now, but if you guys knew of any off the top of your head, I'd appreciate it.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Email. Send a follow up a few days afterwards, and keep on being persistent, but don't be annoying like sending one every day.

Also, find out who the CD is, or the head AD, as they will most likely be your interviewer. Plus it shows you've done your homework, and they usually respect that.

As for job hunting, I've used them all. Craigslist is usually scummy, Monster/Career Builder/Jobing are pretty much failures too, but I've found In-House work that way.

I'd try Creative Hotlist, DesignObserver, Coroflot, Behance...contacting Aquent helps too.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

So I've been back from my internship for about 1 month now and I don't know if it's just the industry or what, but I can't seem to get a job. I've had several interviews in the Phoenix area that went no-where, and those were even for junior level positions.

I honestly don't get it, and I can't really appeal to my peers, because any sort of negativity in the community is treated as "bitching".

My portfolio has a lot of print pieces in it, but I also have branding & web examples to show that I'm well-rounded and I have one of the best references in the industry, who helped me re-work my pieces.

My Aquent agent loves my work, I've received positive feedback from different CD's in the valley.

Should I show less? Should I show more? I'm even considering hiring the resume writing service that is really popular here on SA due to it's success rates, but I don't even know if that helps. In interviews, I always make the interviewer laugh, and I impress them with my knowledge of branding & design.

Sorry, and thanks for the vent.

http://www.randygregorydesign.com

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Thanks. The typekit is broke right now, it's just auto-ing over to helvetica, which I'm going to change to a thinner typeface.

Thanks for the quick look. After viewing the same site for a while, you tend to miss things, and it's nice having another set of eyes look at it and as for displaying the logos, I've been told to not put it on letterheads, shirts, racks, et cetera, that it's better to just show the logo.

What's the thought around here in regards to that?

Thanks again.

Edit: fixed most of the stuff you mentioned...the color is going to go away in favor of a brown weathered look, and typekit is all working again. Thanks again, so so much. Like I said, it's nice having another set of eyes look at the work.

TheKingPuuChuu fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 22, 2010

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Lavalamp posted:

I'm a designer in Seattle, and I'm having a hard time finding anything but sporadic freelance work. I make alright money at it, but networking sales by myself is stressful and inconsistent. I don't know anything about creative recruiters, other than some names and what they do in general. Are there any specific ones in Seattle I should check out? It seems like the general consensus is that they're worth it in the end, but I'm not sure of how to go about it. Are there any other good methods of getting gigs/getting hired, sans online job postings and directly contacting firms, and the aforementioned personal networking?

Check out Creative Circle. I watch them because I want to go to Seattle, but every posting is local for freelance. But that's because all I watch is Seattle on that.

http://www.creativecircle.com/

le capitan posted:

Could I get some feedback on my website as well? I'm working on getting some of my art on the front page. I'm not sure what to do for my next step. I'm trying to get into concept art or animation in video games and have been having a really hard time landing that first job in the industry.

http://www.levigilbert.com

The first thing I can say is that your site looks stock. You've got some great stuff, you should try to fold that into your web design.

Give it some depth, some emotion to it, let the viewer know you're creative, don't just tell them.

great work by the way, I love the light bulb bug thing. And your illustrations are great too.

TheKingPuuChuu fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 23, 2010

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Beat. posted:

2. On my PC your website does not display properly in IE or Chrome. Because I frequently use design programs like Photoshop and Illustrator I use a large monitor with large fonts as the OS default and while every other designers site I look at looks fine, yours looks like a gigantic pile of text mashed together. What does that tell me?

Which IE are you using? I can't test for 6 ( using Windows 7), but it shows in both 7 and 8. Fonts are aliased though, which isn't pretty. Same in Chrome. But yes, I hate all of the large bodies of copy. When I squint, it just mashes together.

Beat. posted:

3. I don't care about any of the words you have written. Your work should speak for itself. Stop talking. I'm serious: get rid of all the text.

You and Debbie Millman say the same thing, but my Aquent agent, old professors & some CD's in the valley have said otherwise. I feel like doing that could shoot myself in the foot. But, gently caress it. I've got a new portfolio book that has no text in it, so I might as well.

My fears about that though come from other people saying things like "oh there's not enough web design in here" or "you should tell me why you did this." I don't want to have to explain the designs, but it just feels like I have to to try to get something in Phoenix, which you're absolutely right about.

And I'm on the networking thing. I've been a pretty active member of Phoenix Design Week and the AIGA, and everyone knows me. I stopped going to Creative Connect because it was just the same people every time, getting free drinks/food & complaining about the economy.

And I want to leave Phoenix, but the wife just got into a state job, which if she stays in it for a year, she can go do the same job anywhere in the country.

And as for meeting each other, come out to the next Say Anything, which is always at SW!TCH studio. There will be one coming up in November, I'd love to meet you, as you have always given me some great advice in the past, and you're not afraid to be brutal about it, which is refreshing when compared to the rest of the community because they're so drat nice about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

It's hard to say. I've been told to "bring everything" and I've been told to bring my best, which usually means around 10-12 images. Since you're going for an MFA, I'd say bring it all, and show in chronological order how you've improved.