Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Positive Housemouse
Jun 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I would really like to get into event photography. I am going to upgrade my camera (Rebel XTi with 1.4 50mm lens) and I would like to get a little step into the field. I am still in high school so I think that's a problem. I go to concerts and whenever I approach a photographer to ask him/her how I can get into what he does they always brush me off thinking I am a joke.

I talked with someone who worked in the only local venue near me and they said they already have a professional photographer they hire, and they won't take internships. I live in the Jersey area if that helps. I would really like to take pictures at the beginning of the stage where the band plays at concerts because I can't risk my camera being broken if i'm in the crowed (99% chance it will), so I don't know how I can get a "concert" portfolio started. Can I please get some advice?

Edit: I am also familiar with the New York area, and I would definitely take a train there anytime if needed.

Positive Housemouse fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 7, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Positive Housemouse
Jun 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nihiliste posted:

There isn't too much you can do until college, because age is a barrier, not to mention experience. If you volunteer with a college paper, that should earn you both experience and a nice portfolio. Also, because you can legitimately claim to be press, venues will let you into special sections where your camera is a lot safer.

What would you recommend is a good way to start (locally) networking?

Positive Housemouse
Jun 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What can one do with a major in photography, that can make about six figures? Is this even plausible?