Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

omegaultima posted:

I guess that means you have a new mission: replace the Waffleimages ones for the good of posterity

Spoonful of Bromide alt spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omegaultima
Mar 18, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

Spoonful of Bromide alt spotted

I have no idea who that is, so I'll just go back to waiting for the next update 6 months or so from now

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
So here's a thing - http://iwakuraproductions.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/the-sakura-wars-pc-fan-translation-project/

No bets on this race.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
"Uncle."

Oh God, that's even more creepy.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Posts in the Sakura Wars thread! Finally, I-

Psh, nevermind.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
...I have a feeling that it will be a direct translation, which is understandable because it's a text heavy game, but then we get stuff like "uncle" and I kind of wonder if there wasn't a better way to translate that. But, uh, I guess it's better than not translating it at all and just leaving it as Oniichan.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
I dunno, "Uncle" seems weirdly far off from the idea of "oniichan".
Like if you look at dubs when that kind of thing happens where some random kid calls an older person like a main character "oniichan" they usually change that to "Mister" or just don't address it at all, because it's one of those cultural things that English speaking countries just don't do- and unless it's Full Metal Alchemist (at least for me for some reason) reading/hearing "big brother" in English to address someone is weird. I could see maybe getting away with "cousin" but not "uncle".

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Why don't they just translate it as "bro," too few syllables for the animation?

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
... because it's the 1920s, brah?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't understand why they need to translate it at all. You can get that sort of thing across just fine without including an analogue to every single honorific, pronoun and miscellaneous appellative lest some nerd call you out on being technically inaccurate.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Because then you get poo poo like this

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
...no? When I say "don't translate it" I don't mean leave in all the onii-chans. I'm saying remove them entirely, change the sentence structure if necessary and express whatever relationship or character trait they serve as shorthand for using something that sounds natural in English.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 2, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

HMS Boromir posted:

...no? When I say "don't translate it" I don't mean leave in all the onii-chans. I'm saying remove them entirely, change the sentence structure if necessary and express whatever relationship or character trait they serve as shorthand for using something that sounds natural in English.

Well, that's a hell of a lot of work, basically. Japanese uses a very, very different sentence structure than English, and rephrasing and localization is more work than most fan translators want to do.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

That's why the good fan translations take so long, like Mother 3. Even then, people will still bitch about tiny changes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
To Woolsley or not to Woolsley, that is the question... :japan:

• Locked thread