Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

veekie posted:

Explosions.

Schadenfraulein posted:

Shark-kicking.

GruntyThrst posted:

Anal Probing

veekie posted:

Enormous Steam powered Theater Mecha with Wave Motion Cannon.
You see? Kanna destroys things and looks shy so adorably and Kohran 'splodes things and vivisects Ogami so adorably. How are we supposed to choose between them?

Still, Kohran's update's coming up; maybe that'll make the One True Choice obvious....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

LittleSunshine posted:

Still, Kohran's update's coming up; maybe that'll make the One True Choice obvious....

If by "One True Choice" you mean Sumire. How can you argue with such vast tracts, semi-functional clothing and inadvertently high chance of getting Kanna absolutely free with purchase?! That's Two TWO threeTWO love interests in one!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Because Sumire turned out to be pretty boring.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sindai posted:

And her knockers secrete glue. It's the only possible explanation for that kimono staying on through an Iris tantrum.

OK, I'm sure some folks round here would think being tar-babied by Sumire was the high point of their existence, but personally speaking no thanks ick squishy.

Kirbyoto
May 2, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump

Sindai posted:

That's pretty much why people vote for her, because she's the only choice where Ogami doesn't end up dead or maimed somehow.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Kirbyoto posted:

That's pretty much why people vote for her, because she's the only choice where Ogami doesn't end up dead or maimed somehow.

Precisely! What better way to destroy a swordsman than by crushing his soul!

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.

----

Even Ogami feels the need to catch a few breaks every now and then.

That he has the chance to do so before his bones do the same bodes quite well for the rest of the night. You can do it, Ogami! :frogbon:

[Yuri]

Ah, Ogami-san. Please wait!

[Ogami]

Eh... what's up?

----
[Ogami]

Wait-- good lord, you're not going to show me those new clothes ALREADY, are you? What'd you do, get Kohran to zap 'em with her growth ray?

[Yuri]

Give me a little more credit th-- Kohran has a growth ray?

[Ogami]

Not per se, but she's taken to arguing that "scattered in pieces all across the landscape" would count as growth because the object's covering a wider area than it was initially.

[Ogami]

... she also has a rocket launcher.

[Yuri]

... I was WONDERING what had happened to all of the plants immediately outside Kohran's room.

----

[Ogami]

Thanks. Sorry for all the trouble.

[Yuri]

Don't mention it. Hehehe...
Now then, see you later.

DISCLAIMER: Laughter not meant to sound foreboding, just chalk it up to an odd translation job on my part or the possibility that Yuri sneaked a peek at Ogami's letter and is fully aware of the hell on Earth that will soon befall him.

How the hell are you expected to translate "ufufufufu" into a reasonable laugh, anyhow?

Yup, it's the second of Futaba's letters to Ogami, as far as I know!

To those who've forgotten, Futaba Taiga (maiden name Ogami) is his older sister/surrogate mother. These letters only appear in the PS2 version of this game, though she technically appeared first in Sakura Wars 4, where she's mentioned (in passing) in Sakura's ending.

[Futaba]

"These hot summer days just keep stretching on... are you staying healthy?"
"You're not breaking your stomach by eating only cold foods, are you?"
"You were always eating nothing but cold watermelon slices and breaking your stomach back then."

FUN FACT: Between this and the manga, it's hinted pretty strongly that Ogami has or will have a stomach ulcer.

Whether or not he'll have a nervous breakdown will remain to be seen, but it seems pretty damned likely.

[Futaba]

"Right, right, your nephew Shinjiro really likes watermelon-- just like a certain someone."
"He always runs off to the fields and brings some back. That boy is so mischievous."
"Now then, take care of yourself and do your best to be diligent."
~ Futaba Taiga

Futaba also keeps mentioning her nephew, Shinjiro, so it's a given that he totally won't rise to prominence and/or appear as a character somewhere much further down the line.

[Ogami]

Big sister Futaba... she's always treated me like a child, huh.
Even so, Shinjiro likes watermelons too... don't tell me he got that from me?
Next time, I'll have to make some time to write a reply to big sister Futaba.
Now then... I can't stay in my room forever--

-- because it would just stave off the inevitable, so--

[Ogami]

-- I should get going.

The library has always been a quiet place, though it'll probably get a bit livelier due to Maria putting up that--

"READING: I AM FULLY AUTHORIZED TO SHOOT YOUR BRAINS OUT IF YOU DON'T MAKE USE OF THESE FACILITIES AND JUSTIFY THE COST OF MAINTAINING A FUNCTIONAL LIBRARY, SO YOU'D BETTER DO IT"

-- poster. Well, we already know that it'll either be Maria, Sakura, or Kohran bumming around the library, so there shouldn't be any nasty surprises lying in w--

-- SWEET JUMPING JEHOSOPHAT

[Ogami]

... Kanna? What're you doing in a place like the library!?

[Ogami]

Yeah... sorry. But I really didn't think that you'd be here.

I mean, how DOES a Kanna know what a book is, anyway? They live in two completely different habitats!

----
[Ogami]

How the hell do you have enough energy left to sharpen your mind after all that exercising and power training and stuff, anyway?

[Kanna]

Enough horsepower to swim through an ocean, Captain!

[Ogami]

Right, right, forgot about that little tidbit. Hasn't Kohran ever thought about dissecting you to see how you work?

[Kanna]

Oh, yeah, she's tried to do that a BUNCH of times.

[Kanna]

... we're still airing them on the ol' steam-powered pay-per-view TV stations.

----

[Ogami]

Let's see...

It's been too long since we've gone with an "iamafag" answer here, so let's get cracking. :iamafag:

[Ogami]

How about a telephone book? It has a large cast of characters, so it could be pretty interesting?

[Ogami]

W, wait... Kanna! I only said that as a joke...

[Ogami]

A pillow!?

----

[Ogami]

... yeah.

Kanna thinks that books and pillows are entirely interchangable.

That is both adorable and completely unsurprising at the same time.

[Ogami]

Coming to the library to look for a pillow... ah, man, whatever. I'll just go back to the nightly rounds.

Kanna's pillow was found a few days later, crammed alongside a bunch of encyclopedias.

Sumire was not amused.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 9, 2013

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

----

[Ogami]

Ayame-san... is something the matter? I mean, you're sitting outside this late.

[Ayame]

Hmhmhmhm... I was just looking at the stars.

[Ayame]

It's mysterious, isn't it... even though you can see them clearly at night... you just can't see them during the day.

[Ayame]

Even though they're shining brightly... they're extinguished by even brighter objects.

----
[Ogami]

Like those explosions we get when Kohran detonates the attic or when Sumire unleashes her flaming naginata attack and Kanna does her Super Rinpai move and they clash and nearly kill every living thing within five miles.

[Ayame]

... so close and yet so far, Ogami-kun.

----

[Ogami]

Ayame-san...

[Ogami]

Even so, the stars are still shining. Even though we lose sight of them, they're still shining with all their might.

[Ayame]

Hmhmhm... that's true, isn't it. Ogami-kun, you always think positively. But that's... what I like about you.

[Ogami]

Eh...? Er, no, that's...

Goddamn, she has him dancing in the palm of her hand.

[Ayame]

Stars are... stars. Once the sun goes away, they can light up the night sky...
... I'm glad I talked to you, Ogami-kun. Thank you.

[Ogami]

Not at all...

[Ayame]

That by some chance, we might end up losing sight of a great many things.
That in order to obtain something that shines brightly, we might have lost something in return...

----
[Ogami]

But that's two things. Also, we're the Flower Division, not the Star Division, you silly goose!

[Ayame]

... just nod and smile, alright?

----

[Ogami]

... yes.

[Ayame]

... somehow, it's gotten a little chilly out here. Now then, see you later.

Perhaps it's the chill wind of heavy-handed foreboding that's sliding down your exquisitely curved back, Ayame. :geno:

With that, he's off!

Off to take the bull by its horns! 'Cause I mean, really...

Things To Do:
- Peep in on Maria.
- Call Maria out on her poo poo.
- Save/Sexually Harass Sakura.
- Iris's Symphony of Terror.
- Get drunk in five minutes or less with Yoneda.
- Sumire.
- Punch Yoneda.
- Utterly destroy Yuri's self-esteem.
- Read a letter.
- Embarrass Kanna.
- Have yet another heart-to-heart talk with Ayame.

- Find out what's bugging Kohran.

... we're batting zero for zero here. :gonk:

[Ogami]

Yeah... I thought it'd be good for me to help do maintenance on the Koubu every now and then.

[Kohran]

There ain't much maintenance that y'all could do on these robots.

Possible insanity notwithstanding, they don't call Kohran a genius for nothing. She's well able to predict how THAT would turn out.

[Ogami]

H~m... in that case, just let me help you out in general. Even I can do something like that, right?

PING

[Kohran]

That's true. Innat case... maybe y'all could wax th' Koubu.

Yay, grunt labor that even an ape could do!

[Ogami]

Alright~! I should be using that can of wax over there, right?

----
[Kohran]

That's a tank of highly flammable gasoline, Ogami-han, but don't let me stop ya!

[Ogami]

OH GOD. Er, alright, how about this one?

[Kohran]

That's th' right can of wax! It's also highly volatile.

[Ogami]

Don't you have anything that isn't--

[Kohran]

[Ogami]

Right, right, I almost forgot who I was talking to for a second.

----

[Kohran]

Yup, that's right. Do your best now~

----

----

Well whaddaya know? It IS a wax-on-wax-off motion.

I love those little touches. :frogbon:

[Ogami]

Right! It's sparkling!! Looks like I wiped it well.

----

Never mind the question marks, Ogami just forgot what he was doing for a second, what with his goldfish-caliber short-term memory.

[Ogami]

Oh! That turned out great!! They're shining like mirrors.

----

Hell if I know what motion THIS button combination is supposed to represent. The only thing that comes to mind is an Ogami quadruple-wielding waxing cloths with his hands, one foot, and his freaking forehead.

HARDCORE MECH WAXING ACTION, GO!

[Ogami]

Whew... that turned out great! Almost like it's as good as new!!

----
[Kohran]

"Various other things"? Ogami-han, you've been pilotin' this here thing for HOW long?

[Ogami]

Look, it's just, like, cameras and things, right? I don't need to know the details backwards and forwards to pilot it!

[Ogami]

Look, I don't have time to talk, I have to polish the left-turn signal and the throckwaddlethingy.

[Kohran]

... auxiliary camera an' left steam vent, Ogami-han.

[Ogami]

DON'T JUDGE ME.

----

And once that's out of the way...

The Koubu stands tall and proud in all of its completely unchanged glory!

[Ogami]

Right, it's perfect! I'm sure that even Kohran'll be satisfied with this.
Now then... I've finished cleaning the Koubu, so I should show it to Kohran.

[Kohran]

Ogami-han, how's it goin'? Are you done yet?

[Ogami]

I just finished. I was thinking of going to get you.

[Kohran]

I see. In that case... guess I'll give it a once-over an' check how it turned out.

[Ogami]

I, is that so... I was just hoping that it'd... go pretty well.

:master:

[Kohran]

Perfect, it's perfect! From here on out, I'm leavin' th' waxin' to you, Ogami-han!

----

[Kohran]

Even though we call 'em machines... they're surely trasmittin' their feelings to us.

By jacking into the brain interface plugs hidden at the base of every pilot's skull.

[Ogami]

Yup... that's right. Now then, I should get going.

[Kohran]

A'right, seeya later. Good luck on the nightly rounds.

Well, that's our good deed done for the day, and never you mind the fact that Ogami didn't actually ask and see what's gotten Kohran down in the dumps. :v:

NEXT TIME: End of the Nightly Rounds! Also, no one understands me. :(

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 9, 2013

Haz
Mar 12, 2007
The not-quite-so-brave-as-Sir-Lancelot

LittleSunshine posted:

How are we supposed to choose between them?

It's made easier by the fact that KANNA IS A MAN!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

Kanna's pillow was found a few days later, crammed alongside a bunch of encyclopedias.

Sumire was not amused.
I can't be the only one who thought "Sumire wakes up to discover Kanna is using her cleavage as a bookcase".

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Haz posted:

It's made easier by the fact that KANNA IS A MAN!

Which is just what Ogami needs.

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

Spirit Armor posted:

This could definitely be one of the greatest things EVER.

Also, choosing between Kanna or Kohran is like choosing between cake or ice cream.

Son Conan fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 8, 2008

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Spirit Armor posted:

This. THIS is the reason this LP is by far my favorite.

(Go Robot!)

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Spirit Armor posted:

"These hot summer days just keep stretching on... are you staying healthy?"
"You're not breaking your stomach by eating only cold foods, are you?"
"You were always eating nothing but cold watermelon slices and breaking your stomach back then."

FUN FACT: Between this and the manga, it's hinted pretty strongly that Ogami has or will have a stomach ulcer.

I have a feeling you know better and did this intentionally, but for the sake of random trivia, おなかが壊す is just the Japanese way of saying 'stomachache'. I also find it particularly hilarious that they use the word 'break'. It leads to such fun phrases like, "Remember that time you cooked for me and my stomach broke?" Also, the above phrases.

Haz
Mar 12, 2007
The not-quite-so-brave-as-Sir-Lancelot

Son Conan posted:

Also, choosing between Kanna or Kohran is like choosing between cake or ice cream.

More like choosing between exploding cake and A MAN! :)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

I, is that so... I was just hoping that it'd... go pretty well.

:masterstroke:

Great update! Glad to see the return of the MS Paints - it's been a while!

But Ogami seems to be broken... :smith:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So now in addition to his days of mindless ticket-taking and nights of lonely patrols, Ogami gets to enjoy afternoons elbow-deep in wax in the Koubu hangar! Wonderful.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Haz posted:

A man so fuckin' manly he can blow things up by punching them. :kamina:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Kanna will be the Pirate King!

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

I want my glasses to make dramatic noises and light effects too! :c00l:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

MONKEY VS. ROBOT

&

Ogami can't figure out what's wrong with Kohran?

Now I'm left wondering how James Kochalka would handle the situation.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Lessee, first and foremost, I've front-paged LaserShark's Spore Creature Creator monstrosity because it is kind of insane and awesome at the same time. Secondly, the next update will probably be Friday or Saturday.

And depending how the voting might go, we might actually SEE a Monkey vs. Robot scenario. Go figure. :v:

Revenant Threshold posted:

I can't be the only one who thought "Sumire wakes up to discover Kanna is using her cleavage as a bookcase".

That wasn't the intended meaning IT IS NOW.

seorin posted:

I have a feeling you know better and did this intentionally, but for the sake of random trivia, おなかが壊す is just the Japanese way of saying 'stomachache'. I also find it particularly hilarious that they use the word 'break'. It leads to such fun phrases like, "Remember that time you cooked for me and my stomach broke?" Also, the above phrases.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for those kinds of literal phrases. (Also, after seeing Futaba's character in that newfangled Sakura Wars V anime series, it just seemed like something she'd say in all honesty.)

Semiru posted:

Great update! Glad to see the return of the MS Paints - it's been a while!

But Ogami seems to be broken...

It's been way too long since I'd had the time to whip them up! :unsmith:

Also, being broken is arguably Ogami's default state.

Glazius posted:

So now in addition to his days of mindless ticket-taking and nights of lonely patrols, Ogami gets to enjoy afternoons elbow-deep in wax in the Koubu hangar! Wonderful.

To be fair, he's hardly ever lonely during the nightly rounds. He's outnumbered ten-to-one by lovely(?) women, for chrissakes.

There's also the fact that Kohran will eventually notice that Ogami is elbow-deep in what could technically double as an industrial-strength lubricant, and his afternoons will be anything BUT boring.

... but that's a story for another day, I would think.

Allen Wren posted:

Now I'm left wondering how James Kochalka would handle the situation.

I maintain that it wouldn't be too far removed from how the Sakura Wars canon would handle it. I mean, we already HAVE crazy anachronological steampunk tech, mad scientific spiritual powers, and punches that make giant fiery explosions.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 8, 2008

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!

Spirit Armor posted:

You can feel free to throw this in again whenever you don't have time to whip up a new one. It will ALWAYS be appropriate.

Also you have to admire/pity Ogami; even with everything he has to endure at this theater of horrors, he still gives every job his best effort.
You'd think by now he'd realize that the harder he tries the less likely he'll ever escape this place. :gbsmith:

Anyways, great to have another couple updates! The MSPaints were a lovely bonus.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I think when Semiru said Ogami was broken they were referring to the photobucket apparently no longer having the correct image.

Son Conan are you advocating we have a nice order of Kohran with a side of Kanna, or Kanna with a side of Kohran, or just that they are two great tastes that taste good together?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Spirit Armor posted:

It's been way too long since I'd had the time to whip them up! :unsmith:

Also, being broken is arguably Ogami's default state.
The MSPaints are still awesome. And yes, Ogami's default state is broken, that's why whenever he thinks of the Flower Division members they tend to be Crazy Stalker Girl, Crazy Selfish Girl, Crazy Shooting at Everything Girl, Crazy Explosion Probe Girl, Crazy Smash Bones Girl, and Chthulu Girl.

Also, because of this thread, I'm now watching the OAVs. But I don't want to watch too far or I'll ruin the story for the end of this game / other games. :argh:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Spirit Armor posted:

[Futaba]

"Right, right, your nephew Shinjiro really likes watermelon-- just like a certain someone."
"He always runs off to the fields and brings some back. That boy is so mischievous."
"Now then, take care of yourself and do your best to be diligent."
~ Futaba Taiga

Futaba also keeps mentioning her nephew, Shinjiro, so it's a given that he totally won't rise to prominence and/or appear as a character somewhere much further down the line.

[b][Ogami]

Big sister Futaba... she's always treated me like a child, huh.
Even so, Shinjiro likes watermelons too... don't tell me he got that from me?
Uh - I don't really want to think at all about why Ogami might think his nephew got a taste for watermelons from him.

But it's too late. :gonk:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I ... uh ... I think it is just that his nephew looks up to him, I think the previous letter mentioned him taking up kendo or something just like Ogami.

I mean his sister is already his mother figure, and he would probably be like a bigger brother for Shinjiro, but I don't think we need to go any creepier than sister/mother and uncle/brother relationships.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Ryuujin posted:

I ... uh ... I think it is just that his nephew looks up to him, I think the previous letter mentioned him taking up kendo or something just like Ogami.

I mean his sister is already his mother figure, and he would probably be like a bigger brother for Shinjiro, but I don't think we need to go any creepier than sister/mother and uncle/brother relationships.

Yeah, this is most likely the intended meaning. Younger children tend to naturally look up to their older relatives, especially when they're around them a lot. Older siblings, aunts, uncles, even just older cousins.

It's just that, after the horrors we've witnessed so far, we all naturally suspect foul play as a default reaction.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Spirit Armor posted:

Book Pillow

Extreme Polishing Action

Totally awesome. I agree monkey vs robo should be used more often in the future.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Spirit Armor posted:

[Kohran]

That's true. Innat case... maybe y'all could wax th' Koubu.

Um, am I the only one who thought this suggestion was going in an entirely different direction? Either way, this is is now one of my favorite euphemisms.

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006
a front row seat to the gun show

Haz posted:

More like choosing between death by explosion and DEATH BY SNOO-SNOO :black101:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Schadenfraulein posted:

More like choosing between death by explosion and DEATH BY SNOO-SNOO :black101:

Exploding during Snoo-Snoo.

Terashell
Dec 19, 2007

Gaben-chan~

veekie posted:

Exploding during Snoo-Snoo.

That generally happens anyway :quagmire:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Random vote for Kohran!

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Spirit Armor posted:

[Kohran]

Perfect, it's perfect! From here on out, I'm leavin' th' waxin' to you, Ogami-han!

So now the master has left to the student the all-important task of the Koubu's nightly fellation?

As always our plucky Ohgami will ace this task like any token hero protagonist!

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah, we can definitely squeeze in one more scene outta these nightly rounds.

We're overclocking Ogami's schedule so hard that he'll be crying for worker's comp. :colbert:

[Ogami]

Kind of, yeah. But getting a full house every day really feels great.

----
[Ogami]

Actually, it kind of makes me feel like I should be getting paid a lot more than I am now.

[Tsubaki]

... you're actually getting paid?

[Ogami]

Of course I am! It's just that Manager Yoneda doesn't give me nearly enough peanuts to get me through the week.

[Tsubaki]

... maybe if you got him to pay you with actual currency?

[Ogami]

Every time I ask him, he starts throwing Monopoly money at me until I stop moving.

----

[Tsubaki]

All the pamphlets and things are sold out, but if you're looking for bromides, we still have some.
What will you do? Are you going to buy one?

Eh, why not? I've been neglecting my collection of freaky stalker pictures.

[Ogami]

That's right... I'll probably take a bromide, then.

[Tsubaki]

You're going to buy one? Heheheh... thank you~!
Now then, please choose one. We've got a bromide for everyone in the Flower Division.

Good lord, when WAS the last time I'd bothered buying a bromide? Chapters ago?

[Tsubaki]

That's Kanna-san's bromide, isn't it.

Yaay, a close-up of Kanna doing what she does second-best!

[Tsubaki]

That'll come to 50 sen~. Thank you for your patronage!

'Course, we don't swing by Tsubaki's stall just to get free goods; we also do it to strike up a conversation that may or may not end with creepy pedophiliac undertones (on account of her being fifteen years old, which, once again, is about average where the rest of the characters are concerned).

[Ogami]

New merchandise?

"Teigeki" is shorthand for both Imperial Assault Force and Imperial Operetta Troupe, and a manjuu is a steamed yeast bun with filling.

... so I guess they're steamed yeast buns shaped like the theater...? Or shaped like each member of the Imperial Assault Force, which is pretty terrifying in itself.

[Tsubaki]

We've even started selling it at the cafeteria! The "Teigeki Manjyuu Combo"!!

[Ogami]

That's... that IS amazing.

[Ogami]

I see. A new product, huh... let's see...

Too normal; let's wait for the choices to change. I mean, they're BOUND to be better than--

Wait wait no bugger argh argh argh

[Ogami]

How about an Iris plushie? I think it'd sell pretty well.

Yes, it'd be the PERFECT way to attract a fanbase consisting solely of greasy lardball stalkers who would purchase the plushies solely to do unspeakable things to them.

[Ogami]

Wouldn't it!? I'm certain that it'll be a big hit! Let's make a trial product at once!!

On the plus side, they'd pay ludicrous amounts of money. LET'S DO IT.

-- but before we can get started, there are suddenly footsteps...

[Iris]

Mumblemumble... did someone call Iris?

... as Iris makes the worst mistake in her life.

[Ogami]

Tsubaki-chan...

Says Ogami, looking frighteningly serious.

Says Tsubaki, pulling out a length of hemp rope from under the counter.

Says Iris, slowly backing away from the advancing, drooling adults.

Says Tsubaki, as she corners Iris and rips the clothes off her back.

[Iris]

... eh? What, I don't want... kyaaaa--!

Screams Iris, who, after a lengthy cross-theater chase, eventually manages to escape their clutches and start running for Maria's room.

[Ogami]

Ah...

Says Ogami, who starts to understand just how valuable life is, especially when his is the one at stake.

----

[Ogami]

Teigeki rice cookies?

[Tsubaki]

Yup, my family's home is a rice cookie shop, so I was thinking of asking them.

[Ogami]

I see. That'll definitely work, won't it? I'll leave it to you, Tsubaki-chan.

----

Well, we're done here.

[Ogami]

Now then, I should get going. Do your best with the shop's cleanup, Tsubaki-chan.

[Tsubaki]

Yes, definitely! I'm almost done doing maintenance on the products, so...
We'll be getting a lot of guests tomorrow, too! I'd better get the preparations done the best I can!!

[Ogami]

Aah, that's right. We're leaving the shop to you, Tsubaki-chan.

[Ogami]

Hahaha... we're relying on you. Now then, I'd better get back to the nightly rounds.

Which are done with at the very second Ogami finishes talking to someone-- never before, and never during.

It's times like these that make me wonder if Ogami is more than meets the eye.

[Ogami]

Right... before I go back to my room, I guess I'll go down to the hangars and check on how Kohran's doing.

And then he does things like "yeah, I'm totally going to NOT check on my teammate who may or may not be suffering a nervous breakdown, or at least not 'til the very last minute," which confirms that he's just the same old vaguely-confused idiot that he's always been.

----

[Ogami]

Kohran... are you still doing maintenance on the Koubu?

[Ogami]

Er... gotcha. But I swung by because I WAS worried...

[Kohran]

I see... thanks. For lookin' out fer me.

----
[Ogami]

Cool! Well, now that we've determined that you're perfectly mentally stable and that there's nothing going on that'd make my life harder, I'm just going to go to bed--

----

[Kohran]

Even so, we've been launchin' a lot lately, right? Ah've gotta get that maintenance done properly, else I'll feel sorry for th' Koubu.
These children... if I wasn't around, they wouldn't be able t' get their work done with precision, so...

----
[Ogami]

So close. And yet, so... so... far.

----

[Ogami]

Kohran...

Which is like saying that the ocean is wet.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 9, 2013

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

[Ogami]

You really like the Koubu, don't you. We're relying on you, Kohran.

[Kohran]

Yup... I like the Koubu.

[Ogami]

But... it's not good to push yourself. How about you turn in for the night and continue again tomorrow?

This might be the only situation where the CORRECT answer to the ages-old "what's more important to you, me or (insert-thing-here)?" question is the "insert-thing-here."

[Ogami]

Kohran... what do you mean by that? I'm worrying for your sake, aren't I?
If you collapsed, who would help protect the capital? There's no one who could replace you.

[Kohran]

So that's why... back then... when I was told t' make a set for all y'all...

[Ogami]

Eh...?

SIRENS THAT CONVENIENTLY CUT OFF THEIR CONVERSATION RIGHT BEFORE OGAMI CAN GET TO THE ROOT OF WHATEVER'S PLAGUING KOHRAN!

[Ogami]

What!?

[Kasumi]

Emergency! Emergency! Demon-driven mechanical soldiers have been spotted in Ueno!! The damage is spreading out of control!
The Imperial Assault Force, Flower Division, is to gather at the strategy command room as quickly as possible!!

[Ogami]

Let's go, Kohran! We're going to have to sortie!!

[Ogami]

Just as long as they can move! If we don't hurry up and launch, the damage is only going to keep spreading!!

----

[Kohran]

... sorry 'bout that. I was kept late by th' Koubu's maintenance...

[Ogami]

Our deepest apologies. Now then... how is the situation at Ueno progressing?

[Ayame]

... not good. Since it's so late at night, the evacuation of the populace has been falling behind schedule.

----
[Ogami]

You guys actually bother to evacuate the populace? Don't we always see twenty or thirty people still trying to run away when we arrive?

[Ayame]

Yes, those are the poor souls who lose the "who gets to live" lottery.

[Yoneda]

It's the circle of life! 'Sides, this way we don't need to hire more than three people t' help evacuate citizens, and we save on overhead costs.

[Ogami]

Well, uh, at least they all manage to get away somehow, right?

[Yoneda]

Yeah. Dirty cheating bastards.

----

[Ayame]

If we don't hurry up and defeat the demon-driven mechanical soldiers, the situation is only going to get worse.

[Maria]

Captain, please give the order to launch.

[Yoneda]

What's the matter, Kohran? We got a report from the maintenance crew sayin' that they just finished.

[Maria]

As long as the Koubu can move, it's fine. You're just arguing over minute details now.

----
[Maria]

None of this pointless emotional "emo" stuff, we have already used up our quotient for the rest of the game.

[Kohran]

But YOU got t' spent your entire chapter on--

[Maria]

For the rest of the game.

----

[Sakura]

That's right, Kohran. If all of us do our best, it'll turn out alright even if the Koubu aren't in top condition.
You think so too, right, Ogami-san? It'll be fine if it's all of us, right?

[Ogami]

Well...

Ogami didn't have the heart to let down Sakura's frighteningly misplaced confidence, so he changed the topic.

[Ogami]

Let's do our best to make up for the Koubu's share of the work, too. Even if they're not in good condition, we can't lose just because of that.

[Kanna]

No matter what the reason, we gotta protect the peace of the people; I mean, we're the Imperial Assault Force, after all.

----
[Ogami]

It's that last part that I'm worried about.

[Kanna]

Yeah, well, I figure it'll all even out if we protect MOST of their pieces, right? They don't necessarily have to be /whole/.

[Ogami]

... and again, THAT last part is enough to rekindle my fear of my teammates

----

[Kohran]

I KNOW that defeatin' th' Hive of Darkness's important, but still...
But still... can't we all take better care of the Koubu when usin' them, even jes' a little bit?

'Sure, we have to make sure that this giant evil organization isn't going to mass murder the entirety of Japan, but let's assume that we'll have the time to THINK OF OUR ROBOTS.'

... on the other hand, we DO talk during battle, hold goddamn tea parties, and flirt with one another...

Yes, I really DO think that we have leisure. :smith:

[Sumire]

As the Koubu are all machines, if they get broken, all that needs to be done is to fix them. Don't you agree?

... oh god. :nyd:

[Kohran]

[Sakura]

... what's wrong, Kohran? You just fell silent all of a sudden...

That was the sound of one mind breaking, you foolish, foolish woman.

[Kohran]

Th' Koubu... my Koubu weren't born jes' for th' sake of bein' broken!!

[Sumire]

Wh, what are you getting angry about? And all I did was to state the obvious...

[Iris]

Kohran, what's wrong? You're acting weird.

[Kanna]

Right now, beating the enemy comes first, doesn't it? Let's hurry up and sortie!

[Sakura]

I'll try to fight in a way that'll avoid wrecking the Koubu as much as possible. That'd be fine, wouldn't it, Kohran?

[Kohran]

[Maria]

Now then, Captain. Please give the order to sortie.

[Ogami]

Er, aah...

[Ogami]

Imperial Assault Force, Flower Division, launch! Our destination is Ueno!! Repel the demon-driven mechanical soldiers!

[Sakura]

Understood!

It took five minutes for Sakura to realize that the meeting wasn't over yet, and that everyone was still sitting in the command room.

NEXT TIME: The Battle for Ueno Park! ... again!

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 9, 2013

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Spirit Armor posted:

[Iris]

... eh? What, I don't want... kyaaaa--!

It's afraid...IT'S AFRAID!!

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

Now Iris knows what it feels like to be at the mercy of someone with no regard for their physical (or mental, or emotional) well-being.

Speaking of which, Sumire has just guaranteed herself a taste of Kohran's specialty dish: Gunpowder-stuffed egg rolls with a tangy nitro-glycerine dipping sauce.

PS: The whole "cake and ice cream" comment was supposed to be saying that it was almost impossible to choose between the two, but that was, unfortunately, the only thing I could think of at the time.

Son Conan fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
In this situation my first impulse is that there'd be a large learning experience in making repairs to your own machine. Even if it was impossible, seeing the extent of the damage might bring people to their senses.

Except:

Sumire would blow the whole thing off out of hand.

Iris would get bored after 10 minutes and leave behind a marionette that could only say "Hi, I'm Iris!".

Sakura would find some way to trip over her own kimono and destroy her entire Koubu.

Kanna would also destroy her entire Koubu, because parts aren't made to be screwed together by someone who regularly place-kicks bears through conveniently spaced pine trees.

Maria might at least take it seriously because she can field-strip, clean, and assemble her own guns and understands maintenance from that aspect.

And, of course, Ogami would get a quick-time event comparable in length and relative camera position to the one that would follow Kratos crashing through the roof of a harem, but with none of the interesting sound effects.

• Locked thread