Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.
((UPDATE: PART 2/4))

ROBOT ROLL CALL!

Sakura! "Stalking with more subtlety than ever before!"

Sumire! "Gaze upon your goddess!"

Maria! "Keep your hands where I can see them!"

Kohran! "More cannons than GOD!"

O~gami!! "Why does my mecha have a lazy eye?!"

----

----

GOOD GOD, the force of our sheer unbridled awesome was too much for his old man heart to take!

We win it!

-- oh, no, it's just demonic teleportation to the top of the tower.

[Kohran]

Which means... if th' enemy wrecks the Imperial Capital Tower, our mission's failed, ain't it.

[Ogami]

Protect the Imperial Capital Tower, huh. It's an important mission, isn't it....

... Ogami could scarcely believe that this wasn't just some really good dream, or some hallucination of something finally going right. A task other than protecting some snack stalls, or gleefully cutting the fingers off guests clipping tickets! Hell, NOTHING could go wrong now!!

----

And then the cannon fired, killing them all in an instant. Yeah, it WAS too good to be true.

----

I'm vaguely annoyed that they can't actually dodge like that in the actual game, as in so many other strategy RPGs.

On the other hand, it's a refreshing change not to have to worry about dodge/hit rates and trying desperately to hit some bastardly dodgemonkey boss. Lord knows I have enough trouble with Sumire's lovely movement moving people where they need to be.

"Ya call that a cannon?!" Kohran cracked, bringing her own weapons up to bear. "I've stuck bigger things up Ogami-han's bunghole!!"

Meanwhile, Ogami curled up in his cockpit and cried bitter, bitter tears over his lost innocence.

[Ogami]

Th, that was close, they took us off guard.... what in the world was that cannon?

To his credit, he recovered quickly.

[Ogami]

Steam-Powered Fire Arrows.....? You mean the projectile explosives weapon that I learned about in the naval academy?

[Kohran]

Exactly! But because the Steam-Powered Fire Arrows are turrets set to face one direction...

[Kohran]

If y'all move forward without standin' in front of 'em... they won't be able t' aim at ya!

... sadly, Wakiji apparently aren't nearly smart enough to man the turrets themselves and aim them as necessary.

[Ogami]

Right, I understand! We'll protect the Tower, and destroy the enemy!!

[Kohran]

Understood!

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

((UPDATE: PART 3/4))

----:siren: SPECIAL ATTACKS TUTORIAL VIDEO :siren:----

Google Version!

YouTube Version!

Last tutorial ever, guys, I promise!
----

As the upbeat battle march starts playing once again, Ogami is hailed by Sakura, taking all the momentum out of their charge into battle.

----
[Ogami]

Look, if it's about my previous mistakes, I was young and inexperienced! I've learned a LOT about Koubu control since then! Besides, it wasn't MY fault that those kids were in the way!!

[Sakura]

Yes, Ogami-san, we know. You've improved a LOT since yesterday, and we're very proud of you for-

[Sakura]

... wait, WHAT kids?

[Ogami]

Nothing that had to do with the red paste you guys found on my Koubu yesterday! Nothing at all!!
----

[Sakura]

Do you know about "Special Attacks"?

[Ogami]

.... special attacks?

Not to be confused with Final Attacks.

[Sakura]

If you would like, I can teach you how to use them...

And we get to the final tutorial in the game!

[Ogami]

Aah, you're right. I'd appreciate it.

[Sakura]

"Special Attacks" use your spirit gauge when activated, and are attacks with added effects.

[Sakura]

Ogami-san, you get the attack-boosting "Brave Sword"...
... while I'm able to use the "Retreating Demon" to destroy the enemy's defense!

[Ogami]

Given how they can be used, its sounds like they could be really powerful. So, how do you use them?

[Sakura]

Okay, on the fifth hit of a five-hit combo, if you press any button other than the 'O' button, you'll be able to use a Special Attack.

[Sakura]

Now then... I'll give it a try.

The only requirements are as such: you've got to be able to hit the enemy five times, and you need to have something in your spirit energy gauge.

Instead of pressing 'O' on the fifth attack....

... you can press anything else and get an added effect.

Not shown: 96 damage, in addition to disabling the Wakiji's ability to guard itself. Each character's special attack gives a different effect, which I'll get into whenever I end up using them (which I rarely do, because I'm an unstrategic bastard AND because I prefer to blow spirit energy on final attacks and their straight-up damage.)

:aaa:

[Sakura]

That's all the explanation for the "Special Attacks." Did you understand that?

[Ogami]

Aah, thanks... I'll try it out during the actual fight. Now then, cutting communications.

----
[Maria]

Ensign, you're the goddamn commander. Why on earth would you be cutting communications?

[Ogami]

... s-sorry, I got sorta carried away.
----

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 7, 2012

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

((UPDATE: PART 4/4))

----:siren: BATTLE #2 - VIDEO :siren:----

Google Edition.
Youtube Edition - The video was too long for YouTube. :gonk: I'll figure out some other alternative tomorrow.
Rapidshare.

----

Alright, battle start!

As usual, we start out in some annoying little corner of the map; in order to actually GET to most of the Wakiji this time, we have to climb the hills.

The oddly square-shaped hills.

God bless you, illogical strategy JRPG terrain.

----

First order of business: gently caress defense, I want to MOVE. Thus, the 'Wind' strategy.

After some deliberation, I decide to cover Sumire. Generally, it's probably smarter to cover whoever's fast enough to take point, but I wanted to play fast, not smart.

And then Ogami charged in and started smacking poo poo around while needlessly AND recklessly exposing himself to danger, as any intelligent leader should do. WHEE~!!

----

New blood! Kohran steps up to bat. Normally, her speed's around average, with Sakura outpacing her; apparently, her trust level's high enough to make her faster. Sure, her Koubu isn't nearly the orky monstrosity that I'd imagined, but Kohran more than makes up for it for a few good reasons:

Not only does she have range second only to Maria, but her NORMAL attack alone has a huge AOE far outstripping most anyone else.

... and besides, her normal attacks make me happy.

Pros: Kohran isn't all blushy and demure and disturbingly saccharine like Sakura is.

Cons:

Her straight-out, eager fanaticism more than makes up for it. :gonk: SHE'LL DO ANYTHING FOR HIM, GUYS

ANYTHING :science:

ANYTHING :worship:

ANYTHING :suicide:

ANYTHING :happyelf:

But hey, them's the breaks! :v:

'Course, since Kohran's new blood, we get a slew of new conversations.

[Ogami]

Aah, it's doing pretty well.

[Kohran]

That's right, that's right! T' tell ya the truth... I was the one who put th' finishin' touches on yer Koubu, Ogami-han.

W-WHAT

OGAMI

GET OUT OF THERE

NOW

[Ogami]

Heeh, is that so.

WHY ARE YOU CALM, YOU'RE SITTING ON A HIGH-ORDINANCE EXPLOSIVE

[Kohran]

Yup. But since all we did was attach a horn t' yer Koubu, it was pretty simple.

----
[Ogami]

... so THAT'S why there's that ticking noise coming from my Koubu's horn.
----

[Kohran]

But c'mpared t' that... how's my Koubu! Don'cha think it's cool?!

[Ogami]

Let's see.....

ROBOTS :psylon:

[Ogami]

They're both cool. Piloting something like this has always been a dream of mine.

... you've spoken for all of us, Ogami. :kamina:

[Kohran]

Oh! So y'all DO understand!! It's all about slappin' one together an' runnin' around in it!

[Ogami]

Exactly! As expected, being able to ride something like this just gets my blood pumping...

[Kohran]

This's surely a woman's romance, right! Yup, yup... I think I'll get along with ya just fine, Ogami-han!!

[Ogami]

Hahahahaha.... actually, I think so too.

... so he IS into that kind of freaky mad-scientist S&M stuff?

[Kohran]

Also... jes' as you can see, my Koubu specializes in long-ranged attacks.
If it gets too far into th' fray, the Koubu'll probably get thrashed. I'm leavin' it in yer hands, captain-han!

Sakura's turn! For once, she's neutral and not crooning about Ogami 24/7 (just 18/7).

I decide to zoom out, check the terrain, and make sure I'm aware of the cannons' placement and range.

----

----

... cannons apparently have infinite range. Though their range tends to be narrow, it's all to easy to NOT notice that you've moved right in front of a cannon. And since they do about thirty or so damage to a happy pilot, taking them out is the first priority.

Sakura usually has point, mainly because she's almost always one of the first pilots to move. Her armor sort of blows, but you've already seen how useful her special attack is.

----

As usual, the grunts are faster than either Maria or Sumire, and everyone dogpiles Ogami immediately oh god why.

It's even worse because he takes the most damage out of everyone here, due to his horrid bonuses (as Glazius indeed pointed out). Ogami only got hit three times, and that's already 17 damage.

As comparison, another one hoses Sakura for five hits--

-- and does less damage.

Hell, everyone's going out of their way to attack Ogami, sometimes ignoring anyone else in range.

----

----

Naturally, she doesn't.

Sumire's in quite a good mood!

Hell, she's even able to go so far as to finish off what Maria started!

[Sumire]

Oh~ho ho ho! Ensign, did you see that?

----
[Ogami]

Gee, Sumire-kun, I dunno, it's not like you guys force me to WATCH and WAIT for you to finish moving before -I- ever get to do anything.
Like move.
----

Sumire's stuck right in front of the cannon, though, but--

----
[Ogami]

Wha--? How'd I get out here? I don't remember jumping all the way o- WAIT, poo poo, NO, gently caress YOU, PLAYER, gently caress YO--
----

----
[Ogami]

Waaaaaah!!
----

----
[Ogami]

W-whew, no damage done, AND I jumped back... Sumire-kun, are you alright?
----

----
[Ogami]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
HER BRAIN BROKE
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

[Sumire]

lol, blush

[Ogami]

STOP THAT, YOUR FACE WAS NOT MADE FOR BLUSHING!

[Sakura]

Ogami-sa~n~

[Ogami]

DON'T YOU START TOO!! I THOUGHT YOU WERE--

[Iris]

Hi~, Oniichan~! Iris hacked into your comm line, so she'll be able to talk to you aaaaaaall battle~! Isn't that wonderful?!

[Ogami]

*EEEEEEEEhuuuuhEEEEEEEEhuuuuuuhEEEEEEEEEEhuuuuuh--*
-----

Once Ogami's hyperventilation spree was over, he was calm enough to keep going with the battle.

Naaaaaaah. You're on your own, Sakura. :colbert:

He decides to vent his frustration on some poor sap instead.

(On hindsight, all this electricity WOULD explain why Ogami's head looks like some porcupine from hell).

[Kohran]

As expected, it's all 'cause yer th' strongest one here!!

... actually, I'm reasonably sure that all evidence points in completely the opposite direction.

Oh, Kohran, you and your inexplicable mini-Koubu.

The cannon facing Ogami is destroyed in short order, "all for Ogami's sake!!!111one" (naturally). That's the first!

----

Sakura's "Ouka Houshin" hoses the second easily, and suddenly, it doesn't feel like there are a lot of enemies on the field anymore.

Why would I ever want to waste her spirit gauge for something that's NOT her final attack? :iiam:

[Sakura]

Day after day, this is the result of diligence!

... whatever you say, man. :frogbon:

I personally think she's a little more frightening now that she's not channeling ALL of her fanatacism onto Ogami.

Maria ends her turn next to Kohran- looks like she's got something to say!

[Kohran]

I brought along one of my best inventions fer ya, Maria-han.

[Maria]

N, no... it's alright. It is the thought that counts, after all.

[Kohran]

Really? I thought it'd fit ya like a glove, since you were raised in Russia an' all...

... ?

[Maria]

(... it'll definitely explode. I cannot possibly accept her gift...)

As expected of the Flower Division's former leader (and/or anyone with half a brain), Maria knows her comrades inside and out.

[Kohran]

But y'know.... I'd gotten it done at long last, so...

[Maria]

It's alright!

[Kohran]

Izzat so.... well, can't be helped. Maybe I'll give it t' Ogami-han or somethin', then.

... I don't like where this conversation is heading. :cry:

[Maria]

That's a wonderful idea. I'm sure it'll make him happy.

YOU TRAITOR :argh:

[Kohran]

Really? If that's th' case, I'll give it t' him when the fight's over.

The conversation ends once Maria has doomed me to a fate most heinous.

As usual, nothing much happens on Sumire's turn. I just get her moving (which, thankfully, she can actually do! Hurrah!)

----

Ogami is much the same case. There are like... two grunts and two cannons left. What'd I tell you? We're blazing through this stage, no problem.

'Course, this is where the stage bogs down a bit, because I'm dead set on hearing most of the conversations before the stage's over.

Though she's still got gas in her engine, I end Kohran's turn next to Sumire.

[Sumire]

Hey, Kohran. From here on out, you shall be staying at theater for a long time, will you not?

[Kohran]

Yup, that's right. I'm finally finished with my work at th' Flower Mansion.

[Sumire]

Kohran. There is something I wish to consult with you about...
Might you be able to make my Koubu a bit more classy? For instance, by attaching something like peacock feathers.

Good god, Sumire would hold so much aggro that she'd start attracting incoming fire from battles that haven't even taken place yet.

[Kohran]

W, well... that'd be a cinch, but... would there any meanin' behind it?

[Sumire]

It would simply be for the sake of being classy. Budget would be no issue for this project, so I shall leave it up to you.

[Kohran]

Well.... I'll think 'bout it. However... don't be expectin' too much, now.

Sakura joins the group of chatting girls.

[Sakura]

Er, um.... Kohran. This is your first battle, right?
If there's anything you're not sure about, you can ask me anything you want.

[Kohran]

Thanks a bunch! 'n that case... can I ask ya jes' one thing?
'Bout Ogami-han.... how d'ya think of him?

[Sakura]

Eh.....?! Th, that's....

[Kohran]

Ahahahahaha! Sakura-han, yer so cute when y'all blush like that.
Welp, this kinda talk IS better suited fer th' middle o' the night, when it's just us girls.

FINALLY, someone who understands that we're in the middle of a fight!

[Kohran]

Also.... Ogami-han, listenin' in ain't th' best o' hobbies, ya know.

[Ogami]

Wha?!

[Sakura]

Kya!

[Kohran]

Ahahahahahahahaha!

I'm beginning to think that Kohran's starting to reach Iris-like levels of gleeful sadism.

----

Meanwhile, Maria takes out the trash with "Snowmaiden". Ah, Maria range, how I love you so. :swoon:

Although... oddly enough, her in-battle quotes don't actually change, even despite her higher-than-usual trust level.

----

One "Dance of the Butterfly" later...

Yes, Sumire, I saw you and all of your magnificent wealth, virtue, beauty, etc. and your sublime asskicking because I'm standing right behind you, so get on with it already

... they start having a conversation over the mangled remains of the poor Wakiji that they'd just slaughtered.

[Sumire]

I simply cannot believe that it became such a mess, even though I put on my best performance.
That the set would get destroyed during the play itself... what an unprecedented disaster!

[Ogami]

Uhm....

We're in the middle of a freaking battle and you're still hung up about that stupid thing? :argh:

NO HOLDS BARRED!!

[Ogami]

Don't dwell on the past! If you're truly our top star, you should always keep your eyes facing the future!!

[Sumire]

Eh.....?

[Ogami]

Today over yesterday! Tomorrow over today! To keep one's gaze fixed upon what tomorrow may bring- isn't that what a top star should be doing?!

What truly frightens me is how Ogami can go from 'baffled idjit' to 'inspiriational speaker' in the blink of an eye.

[Sumire]

I have been mistaken.... it is just as you say, Ensign....
Thank you very much. I feel more unburdened, somehow! Now then, good afternoon!!

Although cruel fate has denied our naturally-talented Ogami from ever participating in the stage, he should totally become Sumire's agent.

Soon enough, it's time to unleash Kohran's final attack! It's no AOE, but it's certainly strong enough.

... incidentally, I think its AOE is shaped like a cogwheel. Just as Maria's is shaped something like a snowflake.

----
The commander looked over his milling soldiers, his heart swelling with pride at the sight of so many gleaming metallic bodies. "We don't have much time before we're set to launch, men, so I want you to listen closely. I've just got a few more things I want to say to you today, and that'll be that," he growled.
----

"San!" (Three!)

----
"This is the day that you've all been waiting for," the commander continued, pacing back and forth. "Everything you've been put through has all been leading up to this one moment. Everything that you've been taught has been for the sake of this day."

He swept his gaze across the chamber. "I'm not going to lie to you: war is hell. Most of you will get injured. Why, there's a slim chance that some of you won't even make it back alive, if you don't listen. Before this day, you were nothing but maggots, crawling up the ranks. But now..."
----

"Er!" (Two!)

----
"... now, you can finally call yourselves soldiers, and by golly, you're the finest soldiers I've ever had the pleasure of working with." The commander's normally gruff voice was tight with emotion. "You're the cream of the crop, the front of the pack... the best of the best. Each and every one of you knows your stuff, whether or not you were built to fulfill that role."
----

"Yi!" (One!)

----
"The Mistress gave us our metal forms, building us with her bare hands!" The commander roared, caught up in his soldiers' swelling patriotic frenzy. "The Mistress gave us sentience! And most importantly... the Mistress gave us LIFE!! And now, men, it's time to show her our love, and to repay the favor!"
----

"Gu~!" (Zero!)

----
"In the name of the Imperial Assault Force, the Grand Imperial Theater, and the Mistress herself... go out there and destroy those who would threaten the peace!!" The commander leaned forward, his cigar clenched between the edges of his steel jaws. "Now tell me, soldiers, who are you?!"

Their answer, roared as one, was drowned out by the thundering of the cannons- and of the divinely accented voice of the Mistress herself.

----

"Chibi-Robo Army, FIRE!!"

----
As one, the brave soldiers of the Chibi-Robo Army poured forth and surrounded the enemy, ready to utterly annihilate the "Fire Arrow". Lasers were charged, shoops were prepared to be wooped, and claws were made ready to rend their unfortunate opponent to pieces.

"Stay alert!" The commander roared, his optical lenses glittering in the light. "The Mistress shall guide us onwards to victory, men! With the blessing of our creator herself, none of us shall die today!!"

--
[Kohran]

Kill yourselves!
--

There was a horrified silence. Did the divine Mistress, the giver of life, just tell them to....?

"Wh... why would you ask that of us?" asked the commander, his voice quavering with a mixture of fear and disbelief. "Mistress, don't you lov-"

--
[Kohran]

Huh, that's weird, they ain't workin' right. Ah well, manual override, GO~!!
--

--
[Ogami]

. . .

[Kohran]

Hm? What's wrong, Ogami-han?

[Ogami]

Good god, Kohran, are your droids SCREAMING FOR MERCY?

[Kohran]

I think so! Guess I shouldn't've given 'em sentience, huh.

[Ogami]

Kohran, I'm sorry, but you've got to come up with some other final attack. This is utterly horrifying.

[Kohran]

Well, if y'all insist, Ogami-han. Every nook and cranny!

[Ogami]

Wh-what?

[Kohran]

Every nook and cranny~!

[Ogami]

Y-you wouldn't possibly-

[Kohran]

E~very~ no~ok and cra~~~nny~~~!

[Ogami]

... nevermind, carry on with your final attack.

[Kohran]

Attaboy, captain-han~!
----

----
[Maria]

... is the Ensign -sobbing-?

[Kohran]

Don't worry 'bout it, Maria-han, he's jes' overjoyed that I'm gonna give him the gift that I was gonna give t' ya, that's all.
----

----
[Maria]

... he's crying for his mother.

[Kohran]

Ogami-han's jes' hit by nostalgia, that's all! Nostalgia fer th' days when he was innocent t' the meanin' of every nook and cranny!

[Ogami]

--AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH--

[Kohran]

Ahahahahaha... aw, man, I love bein' me.

[Maria]

. . .
----

Fearful of being crushed by such disturbing opponents, the Wakiji made a desperate run for it.

Unfortunately for the Wakiji, Ogami was there.

Deprived of most of his sanity, Ogami's subconscious channeled all of his raw terror into one outlet.

HUNT THEM DOWN. HUNT THEM ALL DOWN.

NEXT UPDATE: Boss!

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 7, 2012

Rose wood
Apr 4, 2006

You're a superstar!

Spirit Armor posted:

[Kohran]

Kill yourselves!

:gonk:

I have to agree about the blimp being kind of disappointing after rolling thunder... drat it sakura wars you've ruined zepplins for me! :(

... Aw no I could never stay mad at zepplins :glomp:

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

You know, I've heard that 'evil chant' in a dozen other anime shows, and if you can't put enough menace into it you should really stick to saying something else.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
This is an awesome LP, you're really going above the call of duty.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I think you confused a few Sumire and Sakura portraits there :pseudo:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Haha, Kohran's mecha is exactly as imagined. Ten barrels would make any ork weep with joy.

Spirit Armor posted:

Cons:

Her straight-out, eager fanaticism more than makes up for it. :gonk: SHE'LL DO ANYTHING FOR HIM, GUYS

ANYTHING :science:

ANYTHING :worship:

ANYTHING :suicide:

ANYTHING :happyelf:

But hey, them's the breaks! :v:
I'm not seeing any con here. :colbert:

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Rose wood posted:

I have to agree about the blimp being kind of disappointing after rolling thunder... drat it sakura wars you've ruined zepplins for me! :(

... Aw no I could never stay mad at zepplins :glomp:

To be fair, I don't think they'll be able to top that very first entrance. :(

Dominic Hokage posted:

You know, I've heard that 'evil chant' in a dozen other anime shows, and if you can't put enough menace into it you should really stick to saying something else.

They don't have a whole lot to work with, I guess. And hell, they're probably rushing to get all this chanting stuff out of the way before the heroes inevitably show up!

Spuzzz posted:

This is an awesome LP, you're really going above the call of duty.

Thanks! What can I say? I'm hot-blooded for Sakura Wars. :blush:

Canuck-Errant posted:

I think you confused a few Sumire and Sakura portraits there :eng99:

SHUT UP :mad:

IT'S EASY TO GET THEM CONFUSED EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CHARACTERS. I MEAN, THEIR FIRST NAMES START WITH 'S'.

Also, fixed. Thanks for the heads-up!

Sindai posted:

I'm not seeing any con here. :colbert:

True, I guess the pros outweigh the cons in this case. She doesn't have that freaky blush-grin-swoon thing going, she just hides it deep within her psyche so that she'll eventually snap and start slaughtering every other woman in the theater just so that she can have Ogami all to her own!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Spirit Armor posted:

True, I guess the pros outweigh the cons in this case. She doesn't have that freaky blush-grin-swoon thing going -

Well, remember. Explosions are Kouran's way of laughing.

REINFORCE THE HANGAR NOW.

(Also, I wonder if her explosive AoE actually gets bigger with a higher trust level? Probably not.)

Other people have already said what I wanted to say, just a few questions, more mechanics-related than anything else.

First, do we ever get to see what Kohran was going to give to Maria? My guess is something matryoshka-related, possibly ablative armor or a fragmentation grenade with multiple outer layers. (or does she just get Russia completely wrong? I could also buy this)

Second, what determines whether or not a pilot says something at the beginning of their turn? Being highly motivated in general, or being one of the ones with the highest trust levels toward Ogami?

Third, at the start of Ogami's turn the pilot with the highest trust level is rooting him on, right?

Fourth, I know you've explained this already, but just to make sure I've got it straight - trust levels carry over absolutely, but the stats bonuses are recalculated at the start of every battle. Is the bonus based on an absolute level of trust, or some "target" trust level - that is, even if you don't do anything between now and the next battle with Sumire and Kohran, will they still be combat monsters with bonus move? It seems like the extra move they have now is enough to fill the bar completely, so that suggests some maximum power level.

Fifth, how exactly does Kohran's normal attack AoE work? Does she hit everything in the radius, or are the attacks randomly distributed on targets in there? If the former, what differentiates her from Maria? Shorter range? Less overall power? Part of this is not wanting to believe Maria just got absolutely replaced.

Sixth, Ogami can still have conversations with Maria, with Sakura, and about the tower even during the boss fight, right?

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
Welp, I finally joined SA because of this thread. I have been playing Sakura Wars for years and I have to say I am enjoying this LP and it's hilarious commentary tremendously. I really have to thank you as much as possible for doing this, OP, as we can finally get an inside look into one of the strangest and yet best games Japan has ever produced.

So far I've played: Sakura Wars 1,2,3,4,V, V: Episode 0 and Atsuki Chisio Ni. I'm currently on a campaign to complete the all the girls, but so far I've done Kohran, Sakura and Sumire and half-completed Iris. Seeing Ohgami's lusty eyes on Iris is just... too.. disturbing.

I'm looking forward to you doing the later character development chapters where Each girl has their own character crisises and you have to go bitchslap some sense into them. Plus later, you'll get to see Sakura Naaaked...:pervert:

And more shower invasion scenes! Although they come with a trust decrease penalty for the girl in question, they can be easily regained if you play your cards right.
I don't know if you passed it yet, but there is one scene where you see Iris in black lacey lingerie. It's in Ogami's imagination though, but at least you know where his heart tuly lies. :pedo:

Pythian_Habenero posted:

Although part of me is hoping Finger Blowjob Lady comes back and is a) interesting and b) a possible love interest. 'Cause we all know finger blowjobs are way cooler than explosions. Right? Right?
As the story goes, while the girls have the hots for Ogami, Ogami instead has the hots for her. She has a sexy, undead fate later on though.

Also, I vote for Kohran for her sexy leggy cheongsam goodness and because she's a cute Meganekko. In fact, in all the games Kohran has the best endings. The rest all have Ogami doing goofy smiles at the other girls.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Aw, damnit. On one hand, I want to see what happens with Maria when she falls. On the other, Kohran is fuggin' absolutement awesome. I was laughing for at least a straight minute with the chibi-robo army sketch. I think I'll flip a coin when the voting starts.

Appreciate you taking the time to find alternatives to Google Video, by the way.

Final note, why does America not have more games like these, dangit?!

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Spirit Armor posted:

----
[Ogami]

Wha--? How'd I get out here? I don't remember jumping all the way o- WAIT, poo poo, NO, gently caress YOU, PLAYER, gently caress YO--
----

Quit your bitching! You'll do whatever we tell you and LIKE-

Morgenthau posted:

I don't know if you passed it yet, but there is one scene where you see Iris in black lacey lingerie.

Please no. Do whatever you like, as long as we avoid all this. :gonk:

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Glazius posted:

Well, remember. Explosions are Kouran's way of laughing.

REINFORCE THE HANGAR NOW.

(Also, I wonder if her explosive AoE actually gets bigger with a higher trust level? Probably not.)

We'd probably be better off trying to turn the entire theater into one giant bomb shelter. Remember, Kohran keeps most of her own gadgets in her room! :science:

Sadly, her fightan AOE doesn't ever get bigger.

quote:

First, do we ever get to see what Kohran was going to give to Maria? My guess is something matryoshka-related, possibly ablative armor or a fragmentation grenade with multiple outer layers. (or does she just get Russia completely wrong? I could also buy this)

They never show what Kohran would've given to Maria. We can only guess as to its nature, and pray to high heaven that the next chapter doesn't start with something like "After Ogami's new toaster turned him into a grease spot on the wall..."

quote:

Second, what determines whether or not a pilot says something at the beginning of their turn? Being highly motivated in general, or being one of the ones with the highest trust levels toward Ogami?

Third, at the start of Ogami's turn the pilot with the highest trust level is rooting him on, right?

I'm not entirely sure. I think a pilot has to be reasonably happy with you to say stuff at the beginning of your turn, but as to WHO says stuff, it's random. I've been cheered on by pilots who were nowhere near having the highest trust level, so....

quote:

Fourth, I know you've explained this already, but just to make sure I've got it straight - trust levels carry over absolutely, but the stats bonuses are recalculated at the start of every battle. Is the bonus based on an absolute level of trust, or some "target" trust level - that is, even if you don't do anything between now and the next battle with Sumire and Kohran, will they still be combat monsters with bonus move? It seems like the extra move they have now is enough to fill the bar completely, so that suggests some maximum power level.

You've more or less got it. However, I'm fairly certain that how much an action gauge is filled is also on a stage-by-stage basis, and not related to a character's overall trust level.

I could be horribly wrong about this, however.

quote:

Fifth, how exactly does Kohran's normal attack AoE work? Does she hit everything in the radius, or are the attacks randomly distributed on targets in there? If the former, what differentiates her from Maria? Shorter range? Less overall power? Part of this is not wanting to believe Maria just got absolutely replaced.

Kohran hits everything within her attack AOE. I'm fairly certain that Maria has longer range and a bit more power; however, you've also got to remember that their final and special attacks are different enough to set them apart. Maria's final is is an AOE only a little smaller than Kohran's normal attack, while Kohran's final only targets one unit; Maria's special attack debuffs an enemy's attack power, while Kohran's special drains HP from the enemy to heal herself.

quote:

Sixth, Ogami can still have conversations with Maria, with Sakura, and about the tower even during the boss fight, right?

You've been reading the FAQs, haven't you. :rolleyes: Yes, but I didn't bother with the tower conversation, mostly because 1) I forgot, and 2) I couldn't be arsed to have Ogami waste a turn sitting at the tower.

Morgenthau posted:

Welp, I finally joined SA because of this thread. I have been playing Sakura Wars for years and I have to say I am enjoying this LP and it's hilarious commentary tremendously. I really have to thank you as much as possible for doing this, OP, as we can finally get an inside look into one of the strangest and yet best games Japan has ever produced.

So far I've played: Sakura Wars 1,2,3,4,V, V: Episode 0 and Atsuki Chisio Ni. I'm currently on a campaign to complete the all the girls, but so far I've done Kohran, Sakura and Sumire and half-completed Iris. Seeing Ohgami's lusty eyes on Iris is just... too.. disturbing.

I'm looking forward to you doing the later character development chapters where Each girl has their own character crisises and you have to go bitchslap some sense into them. Plus later, you'll get to see Sakura Naaaked... :pervert:

And more shower invasion scenes! Although they come with a trust decrease penalty for the girl in question, they can be easily regained if you play your cards right.
I don't know if you passed it yet, but there is one scene where you see Iris in black lacey lingerie. It's in Ogami's imagination though, but at least you know where his heart tuly lies. :pedo:

Heheh. Glad to hear that you're enjoying the thread! :unsmith:

The only game I haven't actually played yet is V: Episode 0. Probably not going to cover that game, mostly because I'd have to turn it into a VLP, which just doesn't seem to be my style. I've only really covered Kanna- though yeah, I could only half-complete Iris's route. :gonk: The most I've played through is V- which, contrary to all common sense, has become my favorite one out of the bunch.

Also, I believe they stuck Iris in one of those skimpy bunnygirl outfits.

This doesn't help at all, believe me. :cry:

Tomn posted:

Aw, damnit. On one hand, I want to see what happens with Maria when she falls. On the other, Kohran is fuggin' absolutement awesome. I was laughing for at least a straight minute with the chibi-robo army sketch. I think I'll flip a coin when the voting starts.

Appreciate you taking the time to find alternatives to Google Video, by the way.

Final note, why does America not have more games like these, dangit?!

We haven't gotten all the pilots yet. Though I am admittedly biased, I expect to see some votes change when she comes around. :colbert:

As to the alternatives... I'm still lookin'. I'm horribly tempted just to throw the movie up on rapidshare or something, though.

America doesn't have more games like these because... gently caress, I don't know, it's probably because everyone hears "dating sim" and automatically thinks either "lol porn" or "lol easy as pie." :(

Greaseman posted:

Please no. Do whatever you like, as long as we avoid all this.

IT IS IN YOUR HANDS, GOONS

And now for bad news: the next update will probably be somewhat delayed, since I'll have family visiting for the weekend. I doubt there'll be much time for sitting in front of the computer and editing stuff.

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007

Spirit Armor posted:

Also, I believe they stuck Iris in one of those skimpy bunnygirl outfits.

This doesn't help at all, believe me. :cry:

America doesn't have more games like these because... gently caress, I don't know, it's probably because everyone hears "dating sim" and automatically thinks either "lol porn" or "lol easy as pie." :(

America doesn't have more games like this because some portion of Japan wants Iris in a skimpy bunnygirl outfit/black lacey lingerie. :cry:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Grunduggerer posted:

America doesn't have more games like this because some portion of Japan wants Iris in a skimpy bunnygirl outfit/black lacey lingerie. :cry:

True, but on the other hand there's the portion of Japan that wants Maria in a skimpy bunnygirl outfit / leather dominatrix outfit :pervert:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Spirit Armor posted:

We haven't gotten all the pilots yet. Though I am admittedly biased, I expect to see some votes change when she comes around. :colbert:
Yeah right, as if I'm going to change my vote from Sumire.

She's got vast... tracts of land.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Grunduggerer posted:

Canuck-Errant posted:

True, but on the other hand there's the portion of Japan that wants Maria in a skimpy bunnygirl outfit / leather dominatrix outfit :pervert:

. . .

CannonFodder posted:

Yeah right, as if I'm going to change my vote from Sumire.

She's got vast... tracts of land.

Hell, she probably has 'em both literally and euphemistically. :swoon:

In any case, the Rapidshare edition of the second battle movie is up!

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007

Spirit Armor posted:

The most I've played through is V- which, contrary to all common sense, has become my favorite one out of the bunch.

Man, you liked V? That one had enough Japanese-American stereotypes to shake a stick at. I still cringe at the koi carp ICBMs. At least the STARs were cool and Shinjiro Taiga is a bit more proactive with his girls than Ogami.

You've more or less got it. However, I'm fairly certain that how much an action gauge is filled is also on a stage-by-stage basis, and not related to a character's overall trust level.

Spirit Armor posted:

I could be horribly wrong about this, however.
That's correct, the more happier you make a girl in that episode, the more powerful bonuses she gets at the battle at the end of the episode. Even if the girl is not your sweetheart, if she's happy enough she'll get awarded monster bonuses in battle.

A good example would be the battles in the upcoming character development episodes for each of the girls.

Battling, I have to say the wind strategy is the best as more move points means more attack points. Wind's superpower chargeup is insanely cheap as well; 1-2 points compared to 3-4 for the others.

Can't wait till you get you uprgraded Koubus and really put the hurtin' on the enemy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Upgraded koubus? Does that mean Kohran is going to find some way to fit even more guns on hers?

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Yes, yes she does. Maria's artillery cannon is more impressive though.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Morgenthau posted:

Man, you liked V? That one had enough Japanese-American stereotypes to shake a stick at. I still cringe at the koi carp ICBMs. At least the STARs were cool and Shinjiro Taiga is a bit more proactive with his girls than Ogami.

Yeah, it's weird, given that I've heard the general consensus on V is pretty much "lol, not so much." Hell, I even played 1-4 FIRST and still managed to like V. It's the characters that drew me in.

It's like I'm living in some sort of paradoxial universe. For me, though, it's two things: 1) the American setting could've been handled so much worse, and 2) I'm more able to shrug off the weird-rear end things the game has to offer when I realize how ludicrous it is to ask a crazy steampunk dating sim world to be more reasonable.

quote:

That's correct, the more happier you make a girl in that episode, the more powerful bonuses she gets at the battle at the end of the episode. Even if the girl is not your sweetheart, if she's happy enough she'll get awarded monster bonuses in battle.

A good example would be the battles in the upcoming character development episodes for each of the girls.

Battling, I have to say the wind strategy is the best as more move points means more attack points. Wind's superpower chargeup is insanely cheap as well; 1-2 points compared to 3-4 for the others.

I usually just swap between Mountain and Wood; I've never really had any driving need to even touch Fire, and I'm eternally paranoid that Wind will leave me open to get totally blindsided.

quote:

Can't wait till you get you uprgraded Koubus and really put the hurtin' on the enemy.

There's really no good way to ask something like this. :smith: I apologize if I'm being a bitch nitpicking, but-- please remember that we've got a giant imbalance between the number of people who've played the game to people who haven't even HEARD of it before. Granted, the game itself is as adept at foreshadowing as a 2x4, but might you be able to keep what happens to certain characters (finger-blowjob lady's ultimate fate, for instance) under spoiler tags for now?

The main reason I'm asking because I like watching people get totally blindsided by the random poo poo this game has to throw at them (which there is a lot of), and because I remember getting blindsided by said poo poo, which was about half the fun of the game: just when you think the plot/X-character's-relationship/etc gets too campy, it all turns serious, and just when you think everything's as serious as can be, Sakura Wars throws another curveball at you.

This is really what I want to encapsulate with the LP, so. tl;dr: I'd much appreciate it if, when in doubt, you'd spoiler tag stuff. Thanks a lot!

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 30, 2007

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Whoops, guess I was a bit overenthusiastic with my words there. I apologize, it's just that I'm having a lot of fun in this LP and it's kind of exciting to see another SW player who has played the game as in-depth as I did. I'm sorry if I said a bit too much but I have refrained from the big parts. I'll be more careful next time.

Psychodude
Nov 12, 2004
You do realize you're not wearing any pants, right?
Wow, how did I miss this thread? I'm a big fan of the fact that you're translating this as you go. It's nice to see people putting so much work into their LPs.

So far I'm really liking Maria and Kohran, but the Mysterious Finger Blowjob lady might pull ahead. We all know how much dating-sim protagonists love finger blowjobs!
Both giving AND receiving, right Shiki? :quagmire:

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Morgenthau posted:

Whoops, guess I was a bit overenthusiastic with my words there. I apologize, it's just that I'm having a lot of fun in this LP and it's kind of exciting to see another SW player who has played the game as in-depth as I did. I'm sorry if I said a bit too much but I have refrained from the big parts. I'll be more careful next time.

Don't worry about it, I know exactly how you feel. :xd: You're like one of the handful of people I've seen who have even HEARD of this series, and you know a shitload about it, to boot.

Psychodude posted:

Wow, how did I miss this thread? I'm a big fan of the fact that you're translating this as you go. It's nice to see people putting so much work into their LPs.

So far I'm really liking Maria and Kohran, but the Mysterious Finger Blowjob lady might pull ahead. We all know how much dating-sim protagonists love finger blowjobs!
Both giving AND receiving, right Shiki? :quagmire:

(maid finger fellatio!)

This is one of the many series that needed both translating and some measure of exposure, given how drat popular it's been in Japan. Making an LP is the only way I can accomplish both without having to translate every possible branch, conversation, and ending that this game has to offer. And that anything is Sakura Wars is riffable is one hell of a bonus. Glad you're enjoying this so far!

... good god, Tsukihime, too? Well, this is as good a place as any to unveil an awesome magic trick.

*Jeopardy theme*

Ta-da! She's tied the bandaid around his finger using only her tongue! Give it up for the amazing Minami Makimura!!

:bravo:

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Yeah, I've been playing Sakura Wars for a decade now and I do admit I know a bit more than your average animu fag. Infact all this has compelled me to bust out the game and complete my conquest of love with Iris! :iamafag:

On the other hand, when this LP is all done, will you be going back again and finishing with the other girls for the benefit of goons here?

It seems that doing a finger blowjob is kind of a show of erotic endearment here in Japan. But personally I wouldn't want someone to play their tounge over my severed artery or fractured finger.

Rose wood
Apr 4, 2006

You're a superstar!

Morgenthau posted:

Infact all this has compelled me to bust out the game and complete my conquest of love with Iris! :iamafag:

Spirit Armor there will come a day when you will have to take responsibility for what you have done :mad:

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Rose wood posted:

Spirit Armor there will come a day when you will have to take responsibility for what you have done :mad:

Oh come on, Spirit Armor's no more at fault here than rock music or video games are for violence. Morgenthau was clearly corrupt from the beginning...

Morgenthau posted:

here in Japan.

...or perhaps it is his surroundings. One way or another, the only option left is to burn him at the stake before the Devil, whom we shall know by her pale locks of false gold hair, can claim him for her own. Even as her servants, the souls of the damned clad in the shell of innocent stuffed animals shall fight us to the last piece of fluff in their bodies, we must carry on! FOR THE LORD!

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Drats I've been found out!

But seriously guys, I'm despising Iris as much as Spirit Armor does. As I said earlier, I copped out on playing the Iris route halfway as it was getting too creepy, and I'm just finishing it for completeness' sake. Right now cold showers and cans of Boss coffee are just the only ones keeping me through this trainwreck. Hearing O~ni~chann~~~ over and over again really grates on you...

Since Sakura Wars does contain quite a bit of obscure references to Japanese culture that the goons are wondering about, let me, a fat lazy animu fag educate the heathen masses on what it's about. :eng101:

Dominic Hokage posted:

That chant you hear the Kuronos-kai dudes do everytime is actually derived from the ancient Japanese art of Onmyodo, which was quite big in Japan in the past. Lots of anime featuring spiritual battles and poo poo make references about it. anyway, :words: The wikipedia article describes it better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onmyoji

BlondRobin posted:

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be the famous lantern or just a play on it, or even if there are multiple of them, but really it's a relatively minor point- I mean, you'd think someone would have noticed the immense construction required to put this insane hangar into this enormously populated area. Or the fact that thousands of people die every time they have to launch to stop the Hive of Darkness' attack on another more or less totally unoccupied area.

Yup, that is supposed to be the Senso-Ji temple in Asakusa, and I agree, why the hell would they want to put it there right in the middle of the city? Somehow I think Kohran had a hand in this (Hell, she designed most of their weaponry) In the first Sakura Wars OAV, Ouka Kenran they did show what happens. For some reason, the people living there are kind of happy to see their houses and livelihoods smashed under tons of steel. They even cheer from the rooftops. :confused:

Man, where's Spirit Armor? He's been missing these past few days. :mad:

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Morgenthau posted:

Man, where's Spirit Armor? He's been missing these past few days. :mad:

Well, I DID say that the next update will be delayed. :p

Now that my wacky and wild weekend has drawn to a close, I should be able to do a quick update tonight.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

And here it is!

----:siren: BATTLE #2 BOSS! - VIDEO :siren:----

Google Edition.
Youtube Edition.

----

----

----

----

As usual, we win an excessive number of points in the 'looking totally badass' category. :kamina:

[Ogami]

Alright... we've routed the enemy. The Imperial Capital Tower is also fine.

----

I.... jeebus, don't tell me that Tenkai's been sitting right on top of what he's been wanting to destroy this entire time. It's like some mecha anime version of the Tortoise and the Hare.

Okay, so he could've been waiting until NOW to destroy it so that he could take his victory and rub it in our faces.

Or the Hive of Darkness's big boss is just going to wipe us all out in one fell swoop.

... I'm not really liking any of these possibilities. :smith:

[Ogami]

You fiend, what ARE you?!

[Tenkai]

I am Tenkai! The great commander of the Hive of Darkness... and both the first and the final ruler of the Imperial Capital!

[Ogami]

What?!

PIME TARADOX

[Tenkai]

You fools who dare hinder my ambitions... you are much too haughty!!
None of you are fit to serve as my opponent!!

That said, Tenkai suddenly screamed in pain as he realized that he'd set the flames to be a little too hot.

----
[Sakura]

Ogami-san!

[Sumire]

Ensign! Behind you!!
----

----
[Ogami]

Hahaha. C'mon, guys, you seriously don't expect me to fall for something like THAT, do you?

[Maria]

Ensign, there really IS something behind you!

[Ogami]

You too, Maria? I didn't think that yo-
----

"I don't need to cover your back," she says.

"The commander should be the one who determines who's back needs watching," she says.

Sunnovabitch.

Demon-Driven Mechanical Soldier: KAGE

Basically, 'Shadow.' Gosh, I never would've seen that name coming. :iamafag:

As a testament to Ogami's quick reaction skills, it only takes him a good five seconds to double-take at the Wakiji's flashy entrance.

One Wakiji versus five Koubu? Eh, this couldn't POSSIBLY be a challenge.

... even though Tenkai seems so confident in its ability to destroy us that the old coot just goes home.

[Ogami]

Wh, what! Is this... a Wakiji?

[Ogami]

Aah, you're right... our objective is to destroy the demon-driven mechanical soldier! Everyone, don't let your guard down!

[Sakura]

Understood!

And the boss battle begins where the last fight left off. This time, the Flower Division starts off on the highest plateau, in front of the tower; facing us are Kage and the two gun Wakiji, and there's a third Wakiji off to the side, next to Kohran and Maria.

Shield Maria...

Hit up the defensive 'Mountain' strategy...

----

And go give Kage what for. :colbert: This won't take too lo-

... huh. It appears that Ogami's mounting mental instability has crippled his ability to fight. Ah, well.

----

Well, you know, Tsubaki, it IS trying to kill us.

[Ogami]

Aaah... understood. We'll monitor the situation cautiously.

----

----

For now, Kohran gets clean-up duty.

After Sakura gets a stern talking-to about how she really shouldn't keep blinding her own teammates with her lens flaring drama katana quick-draw technique...

... I send her to go help Ogami smack around Kage. Sadly, Sakura's 'Ouka Houshin' can only hit units on the same terrain height. The gun Wakiji gets away scot-free. :argh:

----

Well, gently caress. :(

One hit for the hell of it.

... this type of thing is generally the first indication that something has gone horribly, horribly wrong with the world.

And as if this weren't bad enough, it's the return of obsessive psycho stalker Sakura and her inexplicable, inappropriately-timed fits of IRRATIONAL AND BURNING JEALOUSY. :cry:

[Ogami]

Wha?! Sakura-kun, what're you talking about all of a sudden?!

[Sakura]

That woman... did anything happen with her?

This isn't the best time, woman, we're facing down what may or may not be a totally invincible engine of destruction.

[Ogami]

Eek?!

[Ogami]

Nothing at all. So... Sakura-kun, you don't need to worry about a thing.

[Sakura]

Eh..... is that true....?

[Ogami]

But of course. Don't you believe in me?

[Sakura]

N..... no. Um..... I'm sorry.

:froggonk:

Just when Sakura was on her way back to being a normal, somewhat sane human being, the game has to go and throw THIS conversation out at us. :(

[Ogami]

It's alright. Sakura-kun... can you come along with me?

[Sakura]

Yes....

Off they went, skipping through a field of flowers and totally ignoring the deadly battle raging around them.

----

And then Sakura got shot at a whole bunch.

Ogami, too. God, I love karmic backlash.

Still, these mid-battle conversations continue to both astound AND frighten me.

----
[Setsuna]

My lord, we've succeeded in cracking the Flower Division's encoded transmissions. Now, we can listen in on their plans and strategies!

[Tenkai]

Very good. Let's hear what those fools are always babbling about amongst themselves!

*KRRSHT*

[Maria]

--ND YOU'RE A DICK FOR ASKING.

[Ogami]

But I was only asking how everyone's doing-

[Sakura]

OGAMI-SAN, YOU'RE SPEAKING TO OTHER WOMEN. WHY ARE YOU SPEAKING TO OTHER WOMEN.

[Ogami]

No, wait, Sakura-san, this is all some sort of giant misunderstanding that's my fault for some inexplicable reason!!

[Sumire]

Ensign! Bring on the spotlights! Lift the curtains! My legion of loyal fanboys are waiting! Oh~hohohohoho~!!

[Kohran]

Ogami-han, I've invented the prosthetic limb!! Hold still an' let me shoot yer legs off so I can try attachin' it t' yer bleeding stumps!!

[Ogami]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH--

*KRRSHT*

[Tenkai]

[Setsuna]

[Tenkai]

Setsuna. Let us never speak of this again.

[Setsuna]

Yes, my lord.
----

This particular battle marks a turning point for the game, as every single boss we encounter from here on out will have a special little something that can make our lives hell:

----

----

.... they all have final attacks of their own.

Though I guess Ogami's just resistant to getting impaled and exploded.

[Ogami]

Guh.... what's with this guy... he's... stronger than he looks!

[Kasumi]

Please be careful! That demon-driven mechanical soldier is different from anything you've faced thus far!!

[Yuri]

Its attacks are powerful, but it looks like its defense is even stronger!!

GOSH, REALLY?! THAT'S NEWS TO ME!!

[Tsubaki]

Even if you flat-out attack it, you might not be able to beat it! You've got to think of some sort of strategy!!

[Yoneda]

Ogami, it's just as you hear!! Don't overdo it by throwing yourselves at it!

[Ogami]

Yes... understood. We'll be careful when flanking it.

What? gently caress THAT poo poo, Kage can only hit one of us at a time in addition to doing crap damage. We're Kouburolling him. It.

----

SNYEGUROCHKA SNYEGUROCHKA IT'S AWRIIIIIIGHT

[Maria]

.... we're in the middle of battle. Please keep it brief.

FINALLY, SOMEONE WHO NOTICES THIS. :bravo:

[Ogami]

Uh, um....

HURRRRR

Nah, let's keep it at least mildly intelligent.

[Ogami]

It's about Kohran....

[Maria]

While her machine is first-class, her spritiual energy isn't that high.
And because her Koubu was made to specialize in making long-ranged attacks....
I believe it would be better to let her fight from a distance.

[Ogami]

I see... would you happen to... know anything else?

For instance, the number of high-ordinance WMDs she has stashed in her room, the number of bungholes she's violated, how many chibi-robo suicide pilots she has stashed away in her walking death Koubu...

[Maria]

I believe that covers everything important when it comes to battle. ... cutting communications here.

[Ogami]

.... I was hoping that she'd at least tell me about Kohran's interests or her favorite foods or something like that.
... Maria's very serious, huh.

Ogami's such a trooper, always thinking of the best ways to get into peoples' pants. :frogbon:

Regardless, the next few turns go smoothly as the Flower Division settles in for the long haul. Kage's going to be a bitch to take down.

Sumire takes out a grunt...

... Ogami cuts and cuts and cuts and cuts...

... Sakura takes out the last grunt standing...

-- and comfortably settles back into her obsessive mindset, in which Ogami is the center of her little mental mindscape. :gonk:

Forget caution, I'm just going to get everyone I have to dogpile Kage. :colbert:

----

Even if I have to mercilessly slaughter a couple trillion unwilling chibi-robos to accomplish this task.

It's kind of tragic how their once-glittering eyes have taken on the dead, soulless glaze of Iris's stuffed animals men who have become completely disillusioned with their lot in life. :smith:

SO MUCH HEALTH. This calls for a randomly dramatic support attack!

"Ogami-han!" "Got it!!"

And so on, and so forth. The fight rages on, with neither side gaining the upper hand. Days pass. Weeks fly by. The seasons change. The battle stretches on for years.

----
[Ogami]

Little did we know, however, that we would be facing a new terror from the skies...

[Ogami]

... and the loss of two of our best pilots through an unexpected betrayal.

[Ogami]

(Or just through willful negligence).
----

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 7, 2012

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

quote:

Next on Sakura Wars Z...!

Psychodude
Nov 12, 2004
You do realize you're not wearing any pants, right?
Yay! New update! :neckbeard:

Aargh! Cliffhanger! :smith:

Heh, anyway, is this battle as easy as it looks? It seems as if once you wipe out the grunts he's kinda screwed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, Journey West fight scene logic. When all else fails, just say they pounded on each other for twenty hours until somebody finally tired out.

Rose wood
Apr 4, 2006

You're a superstar!

Spirit Armor posted:

----
[Ogami]

Little did we know, however, that we would be facing a new terror from the skies...

[Ogami]

... and the loss of two of our best pilots through an unexpected betrayal.

[Ogami]

(Or just through willful negligence).
----

If the next update is anything but a drunk Yoneda driving the Rolling Thunder into a jump, through the tower and landing on top of you, I'm going to be a little disappointed...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh quit being so negative. I'm sure Kohran instilled her kamikazi bots with the belief that their deaths will give them a fantastic afterlife. :happyelf:

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Dominic Hokage posted:

Next on Sakura Wars Z...!

SUPERIOR SATAN. And literally the first thing I thought of when I first started playing Sakura Wars. :neckbeard:

Psychodude posted:

Yay! New update! :neckbeard:

Aargh! Cliffhanger! :smith:

:cawg:

quote:

Heh, anyway, is this battle as easy as it looks? It seems as if once you wipe out the grunts he's kinda screwed.

More or less. The biggest problem is his stupid amount of health and defense; Kage can't really hit too hard, and his final attack gauge doesn't fill up very fast.

In fact, this would be a horrible boss battle if it was just, you know, this. :iamafag:

Rose wood posted:

If the next update is anything but a drunk Yoneda driving the Rolling Thunder into a jump, through the tower and landing on top of you, I'm going to be a little disappointed...

This would be the Bad End to end all Bad Ends. In fact, it would be such an epic Bad End that it would become a Good End, especially if the game let you use the mech-pilot combo of Rolling Thunder and Drunk Yoneda. :hellyeah:

Sindai posted:

Oh quit being so negative. I'm sure Kohran instilled her kamikazi bots with the belief that their deaths will give them a fantastic afterlife. :happyelf:

And there'd be some truth to Kohran's mechs' version of the afterlife, since she'd bring them all back.

Probably as toasters.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007

quote:

"Ogami-han!" "Got it!!"
I could never grasp the reason of the support attack/block. They're just too random. :(

quote:

I believe that covers everything important when it comes to battle. ... cutting communications here.
poo poo, that's cold; no wonder she wears that coat all the time.

Tenkai looks awfully constipated with his squeaky old voice though. Perhaps the absence of anything below the waist has doomed him to try to pass out the log he never could?

About Tenkai, and why he's moaning about revenge, the rather hosed-up Sakura Wars TV series did give a bit of backstory on him. It seems that he was once a prime minister of Edo and he sacrificed himself to save it from some spiritual menace. I guess something bad must have happened to him in the afterlife for him to come up to seek revenge. In the TV series storyline however they had Satan Aoi and his Hive of Darkness dudes trying to revive Tenkai while the game has Tenkai already up and planning another agenda.

D_I_S_D
Aug 23, 2007
Believe The Truth, Enjoy The Lies
I've been realy enjoying this LP. Quick observation: why not hit Kage with those "special attacks" that the tower level taught you?

Normally games have "use-the-game-mechanic-we-just-taught-you-to-defeat-the-boss" built in. As the level just taught you about the special attacks I would be surprised if Kage wasn't weak against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
In particular, it sounds like the "lower defense" special attack would be of good use. Wouldn't it?

• Locked thread