Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15

quote:

It let him go toe-to-toe with a berserk Arcueid even after being hit with Ciel's Seventh Holy Scripture and kill the land they were fighting on.

Maybe, but I think it's more along the lines of: THE POWER OF PLOT COMPELLS YOU!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Spirit Armor posted:

Naw, I've just been incredibly slow lately due to a number of factors.

Anyways, I've basically screencapped, captioned, and uploaded the next update. All that's left is to write the update itself, so it should be up either tomorrow or Thursday.

Awesome! I wasn't trying to rush you or anything, I mostly just wanted to see if you were still alive or not.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Spirit Armor posted:

Naw, I've just been incredibly slow lately due to a number of factors.

Anyways, I've basically screencapped, captioned, and uploaded the next update. All that's left is to write the update itself, so it should be up either tomorrow or Thursday.

So, we can expect it by next Tuesday, right? :iamafag:

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.
----------
:siren:VIDEO ALERT!:siren:

Epilogue to the... uh, introduction to the battle...?

GameVee Version!
----------

----

And the Amaterasu sags, sparking like hell.

[Ogami]

Did we do it!?

----
[Kohran]

Statistics say that if ya hafta ask, Ogami-han, then we probably DIDN'T do it.

[Ogami]

What!? B-But we poured enough firepower into the damned thing to take down any OTHER big bad! What could there possibly be left to do!?

[Ogami]

-- and what statistics!?

[Maria]

Perhaps we shouldn't waste time asking these questions and instead continue pouring firepower into Tenkai before he has the chance to pull off a miraculous turnabout, Captain?

[Ogami]

Well, yes, that sounds like a good--

[Ogami]

... it's already too late, isn't it.

[Maria]

Yes. Yes, it is.

----

[Tenkai]

Behold!! My streeeeeeeeeength!!

Look to the left!

Look to the right!

Look tOHGOD.

----

----
[Maria]

Should you really be standing there, Captain?

[Ogami]

I'm sure that if we all stay together and stand firm in the face of adversity, we'll persev--

[Ogami]

-- where the gently caress did you guys all go!?

[Kanna]

Tactical retreat!

[Maria]

In other words, we're not stupid enough to stand in the middle of an obviously magical, obviously deadly demonic rune object.

[Ogami]

Ey two, Broot?

[Maria]

... good lord, you're never allowed to try speaking ANY Romanic languages again, Captain.

----

[Tenkai]

The power to reduce plants to ashes, sunder the solid earth, rend the sky above... give it all to meeeeee~!!

And thus begins the intricate ceremony that will infuse Tenkai with unspeakable amounts of power!

----

... which... seems to involve him absorbing demons straight into his robot.

----

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

[Maria]

Th... That's impossible...!?

[Tenkai]

Marvelous! It feels as if endless power is flowing into my entire body!

[Ogami]

What staggering demonic power! Ch', with only the fighting force we have now...

----
[Ogami]

We might not be able to destroy Tenkai's second form! Which just so happens to look exactly like his first form!! And--

[Ogami]

... I'm sorry, but I just can't keep this poo poo up. What the hell, Tenkai?

[Tenkai]

What? What are you blathering on about? Why aren't you quivering in fear at the might of the all-powerful, all-awesome Amaterasu Mk II!?

[Kohran]

Well, that's because this is somethin' that we Chinese people call "it hasn't actually changed one freakin' bit."

[Tenkai]

Poppycock! Satan stated quite specifically AND repeatedly that the Amaterasu would have a super-strong second form, and that he was not (quote unquote) pulling the wool over my decrepit old eyes!!

[Ogami]

Um--

[Tenkai]

He also reassured me that the Amaterasu is a supremely powerful battlemech and is NOT, in fact, just a bunch of spare parts slapped together on a whim! Truly, Satan's newfangled bot-building designs are more than newfangled and bot-building than you will ever be!!

[Kanna]

... man, I feel like I'm on the set of one of those "I Can't Believe That People Are This Stupid" radio programs.

[Kohran]

Actually, this's more like "I Can't Believe Someone Convinced A Decrepit Old Man That This Can Of Horseshit Is Butter And Sold It To Him."

[Tenkai]

Impudence! You are speaking IMPUDENCE at me!!

----

[Tenkai]

Now, it is MY turn! Here I go! Uuuuuoooooooiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaooooh!!

----
[Maria]

I am not the type of person who would stoop as low as saying "I told you so," but...

[Maria]

I TOLD you that we should have curbstomped him before he got his miraculous and exceedingly well-timed power-up, Captain.

[Ogami]

Well, given our prior experiences, it's not like it would have done anything ANYWAYS.

[Maria]

Yes, but it would have been quite cathartic.

[Ogami]

Look, I've been meaning to ask you this for a while, but-- why do you always talk about blowing off stress? I mean, what's gotten you so keyed up?

[Maria]

Before you came to the theater, Captain, I was acting squad leader for a solid handful of months, and essentially the only authority figure who could actually keep everyone in line.

[Maria]

I... I still have nightmares.

[Ogami]

... oh god, I am so sorry to hear that, Maria.

----

No way. It can't--

----

KA-SCHWING!

----

Oh god. Oh god, it IS.

[Ogami]

Everyone... so you were alright!

----
[Sumire]

But of course! The day we cannot easily destroy an unspecified number of enemies is the day we... uh...

[Ogami]

Can't destroy an unspecified number of enemies?

[Sumire]

Basically, yes.

[Ogami]

... come to think of it, after all your talk about the main character making her dramatic re-entry, why was SAKURA the one to pull that off?

[Sumire]

Well! I was simply feeling generous enough to give that unfortunate country pumpkin a chance at the limelight!

[Ogami]

[Sumire]

W-What? Why are you looking at me like that?

[Ogami]

[Sumire]

... alright, fine, she pushed me out of the way before I could make my entrance.

[Ogami]

Oooh.

----

[Ogami]

Tenkai... with this, we're evenly matched...

----
[Kohran]

Wait, so if y'all are thinkin' that seven-on-one is an even match, then what th' hell does that say 'bout your confidence in our fightin' abilities, Ogami-han?

[Ogami]

Well, the more of us there ARE to pick up the slack, the less of a problem it'll be when one of us inevitably fucks up real bad and/or suddenly go batshit insane.

[Kohran]

... 'cause that's somethin' that happens on a regular basis.

[Ogami]

Look, I KNOW that you've calculated the chances of that happening. Tell me that that isn't accurate.

[Kohran]

... well, a'right, ya got a point there.

----

Alright, now now that Tenkai's pulled out the completely average caster Wakiji who will probably die in a handful of hits (or a well-placed area effect attack), we're even MORE evenly matched.

... riiiight.

[Tenkai]

Love... justice... you're just infatuated with that manner of phony sentimental rubbish!
I will not be defeated by the likes of you, you who have forgotten that which lurks deep within your own hearts!

----
[Kanna]

Like hell I've forgotten! I mean, even I feel a bit of guilt every now and then over all of those innocent civilians that've died whenever one of us or our airship gets careless!

[Tenkai]

Um.

[Maria]

Really, Kanna? I thought that it would be buried more deeply than THAT.

[Kanna]

Meh, I don't think too much about it, so it hasn't really sunken IN-- unlike, say, the Captain, who has to deal with the paperwork every waking moment of his life.

[Ogami]

... oh god why'd you have to go and remind me that we're such horrible human beings?

[Kanna]

See?

[Tenkai]

----

ONE THOUSAND

YEARS

TOO EARLY!!

----

[Everyone]

Understood!

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 7, 2013

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

===
----------

The first part of the final (???) battle!

GameVee Version!
----------

Right, we're back up to full platoon strength, while Tenkai remains one short step away from death (figuratively speaking).

----

Not much has really CHANGED, so this remains a simple enough proposition--

----

-- ESPECIALLY given the fact that the squad still seems to be dealing a respectable amount of damage.

[Ogami]

A great cause, you say... you've got to be kidding!! What kind of great cause do YOU have!?

[Tenkai]

The restoration of the shogunate! I shall return this land of the rising sun to its greatest and most rightful form!!
This is truly a great cause! That is why I say you are fools, as you cannot grasp even that much!!

[Ogami]

As usual, it's not enough to just think up a snappy comeback that'll totally piss off Tenkai...

We gotta think up a snappy comeback that'll totally piss off Tenkai and belt it out at full force.

[Ogami]

You've got to be kidding! Like we'd possibly accept something like that!!
What's so great about your cause that you'd be fine with letting your own underlings die!? Knock it off with this nonsense!

[Tenkai]

You little whippersnapper... you truly think that you can just say whatever you want... I cannot forgive you! I shall never forgive you!!
I shall wipe you from the face of the Earth along with the West-corrupted Japan, Imperial Assault Force!!

[Ogami]

That suits me just fine! We'll decide this here and now!!

----
[Maria]

You're fine with him wiping us off the face of the Earth?

[Ogami]

Ye-- NO.

----

Skipping through a few turns here. Suffice to say...

... violence happens.

[Sakura]

Ogami-san!

[Ogami]

Oh!

----

Along with another combination attack, which may or may not be leaving Ogami with the vague feeling that he's compatible with way too many women at once!

----

----
[Ogami]

Kohran?

[Kohran]

Hm? What's up, Ogami-han?

[Ogami]

I-I really don't know how to ask this, but... y'know, since there ARE over a handful of Wakiji running around that might get in the way of our utter rape of Tenkai, I was wondering if you might, uh...

[Kohran]

What's that, Ogami-han? You want spiritual hot springs!?

[Ogami]

Wait, that's not--

----

----
[Ogami]

Holy poo poo, Kohran, how the hell did--

[Kohran]

Hahaha, it just so happens that I got plenty of 'em right here!! Let's do this, Cap'n!!

[Ogami]

B-But I was only asking if you had some kind of invention that'd wipe out all the gyaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA--

----

Full Technicolor
Launch! TEIGEKI ROBO

----

[Ogami & Kohran]

TEIGEKI BEEEEEAM~!!

----

----

----
[Ogami]

... well, THAT was a baffling and vaguely disturbing trip down memory lane.

[Kohran]

Look on th' bright side, Captain, we exploded every single Wakiji on th' field!

[Ogami]

On the downside, I don't think I'll ever ask you for anything ever again.

[Kohran]

Aww, c'mon, don't be like that! Who're you gonna turn to whenever y'all need someone t' swab th' inside of yer urethra with a Q-tip?

[Ogami]

A certified doctor AND SOMEONE WHO ASKS ME IF I ACTUALLY NEED A URETHRA SWAB TEST DONE AT THE TIME.

[Kohran]

Ch'. Touchy, touchy.

----

[Ogami]

How's that, Tenkai! We've taken down your allies! Now all that's left is you alone!!

[Tenkai]

You've gotten quite cocky, just from taking out the small fry...

----
[Tenkai]

All at once... in a frighteningly short amount of time, AND in a hideously painful and gratuitous explosion...

[Tenkai]

[Kohran]

Yeah, that's right, y'all jes' LET that sink in.

----

[Tenkai]

... my fallen minions. Become my blood, become my flesh, and fight on through me!

[Ogami]

W-What? His demonic energy's increasing!!

[Tenkai]

Fwahahahaha!! Can you defeat me now? Behold my true power!

[Ogami]

I'll do it, Tenkai! I will not lose to someone like you, you who doesn't believe in his allies!!

----
[Ogami]

... and, y'know, you who doesn't bother summoning allies that you could've summoned in our FIRST battle against you, thus outnumbering our smaller squad AND becoming uber-powerful once we manage to get past said allies.

[Tenkai]

Look, do you HAVE to rag me so hard? Alright, so in hindsight, I've been making a few mistakes--

[Ogami]

A FEW mistakes? In hindsight? This number of mistakes shouldn't even be possible without the use of foresight, for crying out loud!!

[Tenkai]

... that's it. It's on like Donkey Kong, boy.

[Ogami]

Who?

[Tenkai]

I-- nevermind.

----

----
[Maria]

Captain, are you SURE it's such a good idea for us to dogpile Tenkai like this?

[Ogami]

Sure! Power-up or no power-up, we still outnumber him seven to one, for crying out loud. We just gotta do this quick and dirty!

[Maria]

... are you familiar with the term "clusterfuck," Captain?

[Iris]

I am!

[Sakura]

HUSH, Iris.

[Ogami]

I... to be honest, I don't think I WANT to be familiar with that term now.

[Maria]

You will be. You will be.

----

Once again, it falls to Maria...

... to save the Flower Division's arses by lowering Tenkai's attack.

And boy howdy is that debuff ever timely.

Because... well, because we kind of have a problem here.

----

And that problem is called "the Koubu are actually taking damage, ESPECIALLY those units who haven't actually had their turn yet." :gonk:

The others take less damage because they managed to defend (with the exception of Maria, who once again takes NO damage), but it's really not that big of a difference.

The problem comes when Tenkai still has enough left in the gauge to ream a good chunk of the team regardless. Once again leaving out the case of Maria...

----

I'm busy thanking my lucky stars that I just lowered his attack because jesus god.

Incidentally, during my very first playthrough of the game, Tenkai sandblasted most of my team in one turn because I hadn't actually been USING the debuffs available to me.

... that was also the point where I switched the game back from hard mode to normal mode.

----
[Ogami]

NO

[Iris]

Wha--

[Ogami]

HEAL NOW

[Iris]

Oniichan, wh--

[Ogami]

HEAL NOW

[Iris]

B--

[Ogami]

NOW HEAL NOW FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY HEAL PLZ

----

----

And that's one crisis averted.

Sumire's turn is largely uneventful, save for the fact that she blows her special gauge on attacking instead of actually using poison.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 8, 2013

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

----------

The last part of the battle!

GameVee Version!
----------

Right, time to abuse the fact that Ogami's the one with the big "let's change strategies" button.

Fire, for a quick 'n cheap boost of the ol' spirit gauge. Ogami didn't actually take any damage from ANY of Tenkai's attacks, since he was protecting Maria.

And back to Mountain, to ensure that the team doesn't die faster than it should.

With that, Ogami still has a nice number of attacks that he can throw out. At this point, in addition to all of his "allies" being dead, Tenkai's health is at roughly the halfway mark. Things are looking grim for the demon lord.

... and we're about to make things even grimmer.

[Ogami]

Sumire-kun!

[Sumire]

Leave it to me!

----

----

Everything goes according to our non-existent plan.

There's your usual defense-dropping goodness...

... your usual Sakura almost getting stuck in the middle...

... your usual Sakura dealing damage...

... and your usual Sakura squirming to get back into the middle of the dogpile.

----

----

A bit of damage and attack debuffing later:

----

It's Tenkai's turn again! With any luck, it'll be the last turn HE'LL ever take.

Reason being? He can't actually unleash his final attack...

----

... and we can still bounce back from anything he tries to throw at us.

Oh, and fun fact:

Iris's normal heal can apparently tap /two people at once/.

----
[Ogami]

Wha-- you can DO that!?

[Iris]

Yup! Iris was always able to do this!

[Ogami]

WHY DIDN'T I KNOW ABOUT THIS!?

[Maria]

... Captain, I made you aware of this multiple times.

[Ogami]

WHEN!?

[Maria]

I left multiple memos on your desk.

[Ogami]

WHAT desk!?

[Kanna]

Well... there's your problem.

[Ogami]

WHY!?

[Sakura]

... all that yelling can't possibly be healthy, Ogami-san.

----

Meanwhile, Iris stays back there to avoid reprisal, since I ain't sparin' anyone's turn to heal HER.

The rest is basically straight violence...

... though I swap strategies to Forest so as to allow them to actually be able to charge their spirit gauges.

----
[Maria]

Captain, did you just boost your attack power?

[Ogami]

Yes.

[Maria]

... Captain, he's about to DIE.

[Ogami]

Look, you can never tell with these things, alright?

[Maria]

... I'd SAY that you're a quick learner, but for the fact that it has taken you almost half a year to understand this much.

[Ogami]

I'll... I'll take what I can get.

----

----

Naturally, the last laugh...

----

----

... goes to Sakura.

NEXT TIME: Alright, seriously, this fight had drat well BETTER be over! ... pretty please?

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 8, 2013

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Bahahahahahahaha! Tenkai is such a gimp.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

makes sense he'd be nothing but a nationalistic dick, too.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Typical egotistic mecha-jockey. Blows everything in one alpha strike and then lacks the staying power to finish anything off.

Also, poor Maria, stuck being the boss of the Flower Division for an unspecified length of time.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

When you killed his minions, he said he became more powerful. Did anything actually happen in the game or was he just blabbing?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Spirit Armor posted:

[Maria]

You're fine with him wiping us off the face of the Earth?

I now know what was missing these past few days of boredom. The joy of an update.

Spirit Armor posted:

[Tenkai]

You've gotten quite cocky, just from taking out the small fry...

----
[Tenkai]

All at once... in a frighteningly short amount of time, AND in a hideously painful and gratuitous explosion...

[Tenkai]

[Kohran]

Yeah, that's right, y'all jes' LET that sink in.

<3 Tengeki beam.

Spirit Armor posted:

[i][Maria]

Captain, are you SURE it's such a good idea for us to dogpile Tenkai like this?

[Ogami]

Sure! Power-up or no power-up, we still outnumber him seven to one, for crying out loud. We just gotta do this quick and dirty!

[Maria]

... are you familiar with the term "clusterfuck," Captain?

[Iris]

I am!

Is there even a way to place the team so that Tenkai can only catch at most half of it at one go without Not Attacking? I think Maria is the only one with enough range to hit him while doing that.

Spirit Armor posted:

... and your usual Sakura squirming to get back into the middle of the dogpile.

Thats so adorable.

Spirit Armor posted:

She looks like shes been told to stand in the corner by the adults while they get it on.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Roger Explosion posted:

Bahahahahahahaha! Tenkai is such a gimp.

harperdc posted:

makes sense he'd be nothing but a nationalistic dick, too.

Tenkai's a fun guy to poke fun at, but he's also a one-trick pony.

I'm not sure if we ever get any reasons WHY he wants to restore the shogunate and bring back the Pre-Western-Culture-Era, other than "back in my day, EVERYTHING WAS FREAKIN' AWESOMER!!"

Glazius posted:

Also, poor Maria, stuck being the boss of the Flower Division for an unspecified length of time.

Unspecified because I forgot exactly what the span of time was between the founding of the Flower Division and Ogami's arrival.

Still, Maria WAS one of the first members, and given her tendency to take command...

Doctor Reynolds posted:

When you killed his minions, he said he became more powerful. Did anything actually happen in the game or was he just blabbing?

I'm pretty sure he did (he WAS hitting people for 60-70 HP), though I didn't actually compare his stats or anything like that. Generally, when the game tells you that an enemy's powered up, it ain't kidding.

... granted, it didn't really MATTER in this case, since he hadn't gotten to the point where he could one-hit-kill any Koubu.

veekie posted:

Is there even a way to place the team so that Tenkai can only catch at most half of it at one go without Not Attacking? I think Maria is the only one with enough range to hit him while doing that.

Pretty much. Tenkai's final attack AOE is friggin' huge, so the only way to avoid it would be to place units on two sides of him. Even then, he'd probably go for the largest group, and then he might've used his normal attack on the OTHER group of Koubu, so it'd have been more of a pain to get Iris to whichever group needs to be healed the most.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Spirit Armor posted:

Tenkai's a fun guy to poke fun at, but he's also a one-trick pony.

I'm not sure if we ever get any reasons WHY he wants to restore the shogunate and bring back the Pre-Western-Culture-Era, other than "back in my day, EVERYTHING WAS FREAKIN' AWESOMER!!"

The manga version gave a semi-plausible reason: He was actually the one in charge during the Tokugawa Shogunate, not Ieyasu. I'm guessing he wanted his glory days back, poor guy.

Of course, the manga also revealed that Tenkai was resurrected by someone far more powerful. So regardless of who wins, he's probably gonna get knocked off anyway once Satan can't stand him anymore he's become more useless than he already is. :(

Spirit Armor posted:

Unspecified because I forgot exactly what the span of time was between the founding of the Flower Division and Ogami's arrival.

Still, Maria WAS one of the first members, and given her tendency to take command...

From what the OVA timeline says, a bit over half a year (from summer to spring). No wonder she asked Ayame to find a different captain for the Flower Division. :gonk:

(Never mind that Ayame originally recruited her to BE the captain...It must have been her Commissar Factor.)

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Commissars fight the madness, and thats an uphill battle, not to mention having a lesbian fangirling over Maria must have been...distracting.

Now send in one Ichiro Ogami, who serves as a mass punching bag/love interest/test subject, everyone's attention is naturally focused on him, and they listen for lack of anything else to do. If you can't beat them, join them,

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

veekie posted:

Commissars fight the madness, and thats an uphill battle, not to mention having a lesbian fangirling over Maria must have been...distracting.

Now send in one Ichiro Ogami, who serves as a mass punching bag/love interest/test subject, everyone's attention is naturally focused on him, and they listen for lack of anything else to do. If you can't beat them, join them,
You mean "if you can't beat them, send someone else in to get beaten."

Hey Spirit Armor, how much of the game is left by this point anyway? I thought you said you were about 2/3rds of the way, right? o_0~~

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

CannonFodder posted:

Hey Spirit Armor, how much of the game is left by this point anyway? I thought you said you were about 2/3rds of the way, right? o_0~~

Seeing as we've voted for the final candidate already and have just beaten the big bad guy of the story (unless he's got a third form under his sleeve), there can't be very much game left.

Somehow, I'm smelling a plot twist in the future, though.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

...huh? I'm at the end? Took me a week to read this whole thread.

And it was awesome!

I'd complain about not being able to vote, but it turned out in the order I wanted. Though I kinda do want to see Kanna's final combo and ending.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

Wyvernil posted:

Seeing as we've voted for the final candidate already and have just beaten the big bad guy of the story (unless he's got a third form under his sleeve), there can't be very much game left.

Somehow, I'm smelling a plot twist in the future, though.

I thought I was at the end when I got to this fight, but there's two more chapters left I think. Maybe three? This is just where you have to choose your girl. poo poo begins to go down after this.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheGreenAvenger posted:

I thought I was at the end when I got to this fight, but there's two more chapters left I think. Maybe three? This is just where you have to choose your girl. poo poo begins to go down after this.

BEGINS to go down? Tenkai just covered the capital in purple fog, man! PURPLE FOG!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zereth posted:

BEGINS to go down? Tenkai just covered the capital in purple fog, man! PURPLE FOG!

This is Japan we're talking about : it's not endgame until at least 30% of the city has been reduced to radioactive vapor.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

I keep forgetting the exact number of chapters, because the PS2 version's extra Kohran chapter throws me off-- but something like that, yeah.

FebrezeNinja posted:

...huh? I'm at the end? Took me a week to read this whole thread.

And it was awesome!

I'd complain about not being able to vote, but it turned out in the order I wanted. Though I kinda do want to see Kanna's final combo and ending.

Glad you're liking the LP so far!

... come to think of it, I should be able to show the runner-ups' endings. It'll just come some time after the thread itself ends.

Geostomp posted:

This is Japan we're talking about : it's not endgame until at least 30% of the city has been reduced to radioactive vapor.

Or when Tokyo the Imperial Capital Tower just so happens to get destroyed, like in 80% of series set in Japan. :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Geostomp posted:

Yes, I was poking fun at Tenkai's ineffectiveness. :v: Note that the purple fog doesn't seem to be DOING anything.

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!
Technically, Satan is still running around doing whatever it is he does (so far...what? Standing on rooftops and acting vaguely villainous?) So eventually the Flower Division will have to do something about that. You know...eventually.

Spirit Armor posted:

... come to think of it, I should be able to show the runner-ups' endings. It'll just come some time after the thread itself ends.

Regardless of how long it takes, I doubt you'll hear any complaints about that.

That was awesome. Most everyone else has pointed out the best bits, but great job for making what looked like a pretty tedious boss battle into a delightfully hilarious update.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Dash Magnum posted:

Technically, Satan is still running around doing whatever it is he does (so far...what? Standing on rooftops and acting vaguely villainous?)
Hey, there's a noble and glorious tradition of standing on rooftops and acting vaguely villainous. There's probably a school somewhere that teaches the arts of standing on increasingly tall objects and summoning hair/cloak waving wind out of nowhere.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Revenant Threshold posted:

Hey, there's a noble and glorious tradition of standing on rooftops and acting vaguely villainous. There's probably a school somewhere that teaches the arts of standing on increasingly tall objects and summoning hair/cloak waving wind out of nowhere.

It's the same school that teaches those heroes with the poses that somehow glow.

Seconding that theres no problem with showing the endings of the runner ups. More content good, and all 3 girls here have a lot of fans.

RNGen
Oct 20, 2008
At the very least none of their endings will be boring. Or at least I hope not. I'd be disappointed if Kohran's didn't involve some degree of mad science trickery.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spirit Armor posted:

Really? That's cool. Kanna got second, right? drat me for being a one-trick pony.

Also, poor, poor Tenkai. From how you've characterized him, Spirit Armour, he seems less and less a murderous villain than he is a slightly deranged old coot who just wants things to look like whwn he was young. That being said, more boom-boom, please.

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

veekie posted:

Ogami looks a lot more badass in his bounty there.

Ahahaha, the Negima and Kanon descriptions had me laughing out loud.

Robodemon
Sep 14, 2008
When you get to the 5th game you might not even need to translate it; some pretty interesting news from a interview rpgamer had with NISA:

---
A little birdie told us that someone was finally getting brave enough to localize a game in the Sakura Wars series, mainly the fifth game in the main series for the PS2. Would that be NIS America, and what can you tell us about the game?

NISA: Haha, your birdie knows too much. Let's just say the game is in the works by an undisclosed company. I've heard somewhere that the game should come out in '09.
---

Though, I don't know if they could translate some of the responses as awesome as you have been doing.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Robodemon posted:

When you get to the 5th game you might not even need to translate it; some pretty interesting news from a interview rpgamer had with NISA:

---
A little birdie told us that someone was finally getting brave enough to localize a game in the Sakura Wars series, mainly the fifth game in the main series for the PS2. Would that be NIS America, and what can you tell us about the game?

NISA: Haha, your birdie knows too much. Let's just say the game is in the works by an undisclosed company. I've heard somewhere that the game should come out in '09.
---

Though, I don't know if they could translate some of the responses as awesome as you have been doing.

Holy poo poo, that's awesome news. Even if it's not as good as this LP, I'd buy that up fast as hell. I've been hating that the games look interesting but I can't play them, so an officially translated version would be great.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I just started reading this thread and have been going into hysterical laughter at every update. This is, bar none, the absolute best LP I've seen so far!
SA, you have a gift for this lunacy. Please keep it going until your head explodes like Ogami's ulcers.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

----------

The epilogue third part to the battle!

GameVee Version! Now it's GAMEVEE'S version to start hating people, it seems.
Google Version!
----------

This update opens with some relatively nifty camerawork. More importantly...

----

----

... this also marks one of the first times that Ogami looks legitimately badass.

[Ogami]

Did we do it...!?

----
[Kohran]

Ogami-han, there's this nifty lil' thing called "pattern recognition," y'see...

[Ogami]

Look, he's a cranky old man in a horribly clashing muumuu, he can't POSSIBLY have that many super-power-ups left over. I think I'm perfectly justified to say th--

----

[Ogami]

Wh-What!?

Tenkai may be down, but he's not OUT.

----

----

... and he proves this by nailing Ogami to the wall before anyone can so much as blink.

----
[Ogami]

FUAGH.

[Ogami]

HOW MANY loving 'FINAL BATTLES' ARE WE GOING TO HAVE!?

[Kohran]

Well, statistics show that most of these final boss-types tend t' have anywhere between three an' twelve final forms, not includin' miraculous comebacks, so--

[Ogami]

J-Just get me down from here so that we can finish this, okay?

[Sakura]

We'll be there in a jiff! I--

----

WHUD

WHUD

----

----
[Sakura]

N-Never mind, Ogami-san.

[Ogami]

Man, if he'd just gone and overpowered us into submission at the START of the battle-- WITHOUT bothering with the battle itself-- he could've saved all of us a lot of time.

[Kanna]

He was probably just about to pin us to the wall right before Sakura and the rest of the gang arrived! ... though he probably shoulda just done it right off the bat.

[Kohran]

True, true. An' I can see these spear-things doin' a LOT more damage if he'd set 'em to detonate, thus blowin' our limbs off from th' inside out. Heck, even if he POISONED 'em, he--

[Ogami]

Assuming that any of us live through this, let's not give him any more ideas. Maria! What should we do? Don't you have any good ideas or strategies or badasseries left!?

[Maria]

[Maria]

... man, I can't see poo poo.

[Ogami]

Huh?

[Maria]

Well, I am pinned face-first against the wall here, Captain.

[Ogami]

F-Fair enough, but I was hoping for a more poignant observation, you know?

[Maria]

They can't ALL be strokes of genius, Captain.

----

----

----

----
[Sumire]

... Ensign, do you really not have any better retorts? That last statement seemed like something a villainous cretin would yell at the defenders of justi--

[Ogami]

PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE I AM KIND OF UNDER A LOT OF STRESS HERE, SUMIRE.

[Sumire]

Still, that is no excuse.

[Ogami]

F-Fine, fine.

----

[Ogami]

Everyone... the Imperial Capital...
Give me... your feelings... and your... peace-loving hearts!

[Ogami]

Uuooooooooaaaaah!!

----
[Ogami]

Is THAT better!?

[Sumire]

I... suppose it will have to do.

----

----

And with a dramatic eye-flash... it begins.

Green! The color of science going horribly wrong.

[Kohran]

Ogami-haaaaaaaaan!!

----

----

SHATTER

Yellow! The color of blinding people so that they can't see poo poo.

[Iris]

Oniichaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

----

SHATTER

Red! The color of blood, destruction, speed, and the last thing that most demons see (Kanna's Koubu).

[Kanna]

Captain Ogamiiiiii!

----

----

----

SHATTER

Violet! The color of fame, glory, and, apparently, peacocks.

[Sumire]

Ensign Ogamiiiiiiii!

----

----

SHOOM

----

----

Blue! The color that isn't that of Maria's actual Koubu, though Maria glowing with an absence of light (?) would have been effin' metal.

[Maria]

Captain Ogamiiiiiiii!

----

Dodging.

Dodging like a drat monkey.

----

----

----

----

Dodging so hard that he leaves behind motherfucking afterimages.

----

----

And, finally...

Pink! The most downright frightening color in the world.

[Sakura]

Ogami-saaaaaaaaaan!!

And because pink really IS that strong of a color...

----

----

----

... Ogami just punched through the middle of Tenkai's robot and came out the other side.

[Tenkai]

Ugyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!

There's a pause just long enough for Ogami to toss in a badass final quip--

[Ogami]

Tenkai... this is the power of justice!!

-- which, naturally, Ogami takes.

---

And... well, that's the end of THAT.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 8, 2013

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

... except for the fact that Tenkai looks completely fine, despite his robot having blown up in a needlessly dramatic fashion.

[Tenkai]

Grk... that's... i-impossible... I, the great Tenkai, have been... Why!
Wh... why!? Has the land itself forsaken me!?

----
[Tenkai]

I-Impossible...! No man should have been able to defeat me!!

[Ogami]

Well, I AM NO MAN!

[Ogami]

[Ogami]

Wait, can I do that one over? I think I hosed it up.

[Maria]

... no, I honestly cannot say that I see anything wrong with that statement.

----

----

----

----

[Ogami]

Th-This shaking... the cave is collapsing!?

----

----

[Ogami]

Dammit! All units, retreat!!

[Everyone]

Understood!

----
[Iris]

B-But how are we going to get out!?

[Ogami]

I-I guess we find some way of doing the opposite of falling down a mine shaft for five minutes.

[Maria]

The cave is going to COLLAPSE in less than half a minute!!

[Ogami]

Alright, so we need to figure out how to do this in less than thirty seconds. Anyone got an epiphany?

[Sakura]

Well, no, but--

----

----

[Tenkai]

Heeheeheehee...

[Tenkai]

Haahaaahaaaaahaaahaaa!!

[Tenkai]

GYAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!

[Tenkai]

HAAAAHAAAHAAAAlkjsgdklja

SOME TIME LATER...

----
[Kohran]

I'm jes' surprised that Tenkai was considerate enough t' have a set of stairs leadin' straight back up to th' surface.

[Sakura]

How do you think we got down to Tenkai's chambers in the FIRST place?

[Kanna]

Jump a billion feet down like any other rational human being would?

[Ogami]

Walk through the entrance and past all the dead guards like any other NORMAL rational human being would?

[Sakura]

Actually, we just waded past the the crowds of adoring admirers and merchandise sellers and waltzed down the emergency exit stairs.

[Ogami]

... w-well, that WOULD explain the little Koubu keychain attached to Sumire's mech.

[Sumire]

So you noticed!

[Ogami]

Though that doesn't explain the little WAKIJI keychain.

[Sumire]

... the good people of the Imperial Capital appeared to have been quite prepared for EITHER outcome, Ensign.

----

[Ogami]

... so that was their spiritual energy? Even if that were the case...

[Yoneda]

It ain't just that. It was your own strength, too.

[Ogami]

My own strength?

[Yoneda]

Ogami, why do you think that you became the captain of the Flower Division?

----
[Ogami]

Because I've got one Y chromosome?

[Yoneda]

... close, but no cigar.

----

[Ogami]

I thought that was... because I'm able to operate the Koubu...

[Yoneda]

Is that it?

[Ogami]

... huh.

[Yoneda]

It's 'cause you're a catalyst.

[Ogami]

A catalyst...?

[Yoneda]

That's right. It's true that the girls' spiritual energy far exceeds that of others.
But no matter how potent that spiritual energy is, there's no point if it's all in pieces.
The power to, with time, consolidate the girl's contradictory spiritual powers into one unified whole...
The Flower Division is, using your power as a catalyst, able to fully utilize that power for the first time.

[Ogami]

----
[Ogami]

(Holy poo poo... for the very first time, I have worth! Like, ACTUAL worth to the group as a whole, and not in a stress-relief and/or comic relief kind of way! I actually stand on equal footing with everyb--)

----

----
[Ogami]

Sir... gently caress you, sir.

[Yoneda]

Haha, it's this kinda stuff that just makes my day!

[Ogami]

What, getting cursed out/propositioned to by overly-stressed men?

[Yoneda]

No, no, the sound of someone's hopes getting dashed from real high up in the air.

[Ogami]

... ah, of course.

----

[Kanna]

We've taken down the enemy's leader, so we'll be back to doing rehearsals tomorrow!

[Ogami]

Eek!?

----
[Kohran]

"We"?

[Sumire]

... by which I mean "mostly you," Kohran.

[Kohran]

Thank fuckin' GOD.

----

----

----

----

----
[Maria]

Yes, walking up the stairs at a leisurely pace DOES tend to cause forgetfulness, doesn't it?

[Sumire]

To be fair, a moldy staircase is not exactly the best place to stop and take a giddily ecstatic picture.

[Kanna]

Great for flingin' some poor sap down to his untimely and ultimately messy death, though.

[Sumire]

... and of COURSE you would know this, Kanna.

[Kanna]

Well... yeah, ain't it common knowledge?

[Sumire]

No, not exac--

[Kanna]

It's not like I conducted multiple experiments by throwin' people down different TYPES of staircases and examinin' their remains to see how well their everythings broke and all.

[Sumire]

O... Of course, Kanna.

----

----

----

----

----

Good god, Kanna and Maria are HUGE. I think Kanna's even leaning over a bit.

[Sakura]

One and two, and-- victory pose...

----

[Yoneda]

Go~~~!

[Ogami]

Oh, Yoneda. Ruining picture perfect moments since the beginning of time. :unsmith:

[Sakura]

Wait-- Commander...!?

[Iris]

Aah, Iris wanted to say it~!

(Also, ruining the hopes and dreams of little children.)

[Yoneda]

Well, every once in a while, eh?

[Kanna]

Guess it can't be helped...

[Ayame]

[Yoneda]

Now now, ain't this fine too? Huh? Daa~aah hah hah hah hah hah!!

And in the grand tradition of anime episodes of the 1980's...

EVERYONE laughs spontaneously for absolutely no discernible reason.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 8, 2013

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

----------
:siren:VIDEO ALERT!

The next episode preview!

GameVee Version! Now it's GAMEVEE'S version to start hating people, it seems.
Google Version!
----------

NEXT EPISODE

[Tsubaki]

Mou, ikutsu neru to...

[Tsubaki]

Oshougatsu~!

[Kasumi]

The key to the whole year...

[Kasumi]

... rests on New Year's Day!

[Yuri]

If so, then it's got to be at...

[Yuri]

... the Imperial Capital!

[Wind Brigade]

Next time on Sakura Wars!

[Wind Brigade]

A Date On These Peaceful Days!

[Wind Brigade]

A storm of romance...

[Wind Brigade]

... amongst the Taisho era cherry blossoms!

----

And it was thus that Ichiro Ogami found his one true love.

[Wind Brigade]

Happy New Year!

NEXT TIME: How to fail at creating a love triangle.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 8, 2013

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine
Both of the google links are directed to the next episode preview.
Just saying.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
That was so lame. So awesomely, entertainingly lame. :v:

Spirit Armor posted:

OH JAYSIS. I sincerely hope Koran has genetically engineered Predator up her sleeve or something.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh no xenomorphs. :(

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...the juxtaposition of the Pred and Ogami with love bubbles is just wonderful.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Ogami <3's Pred, and the Hanagumi are now officially a Super Sentai with the All Your Powers Combined finisher.

How on earth did Tenkai pin Iris and Kanna to the walls anyway? One teleports and the other breaks rock with her head. Also, he 'penetrated' the entire Hanagumi, hehe.

Also, yeah, the vids link's going to the wrong place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Spirit Armor posted:

Now we just need Maria walking in on it in her Koubu as it goes for Iris.

: Get away from her you bitch!

• Locked thread