Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.

Rose wood posted:

Ah I really meant WW2 era, sorry... steampunk's always fun, and steampunk vs demons can only be a good thing!

It's twice as much fun when you give DEMONS steampunk mecha.

... unless you're Tokyo, but that goes without saying.

quote:

That's what I see every time I see her image :gonk:

For the love interest ballot, I'll take that as a vote for 'FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NOT IRIS'. :3:

Also, gently caress yes, next page. Thanks for your help, guys, I couldn't have done it without breaking the double-post rules more than I already have, but nevermind THAT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

TO YONEDA'S OFFICE!!

Maybe this time, he'll be sober.

... a man can always dream, can't he?

[Ogami]:

(Will I.... really be doing nothing but taking tickets here....?)

No one's stopping you from taking lantrine duty, man. Go for it! Live the dream!

[Sakura]:

Ogami-san...

[Ogami]:

Sorry, Sakura-kun. I want to talk with General Yoneda alone...

:pseudo: ... ... ...

:eng99: .... there are some things that science just can't explain. This erroneous and somewhat frightening assumption of the existence of high levels of lovey-doveyness is one of them.

[Ogami]:

Wha-?! W, we're not doing anything like getting all....

Clearly, this is one of the few things that can strike fear in the heart of Ogami.

[Sakura]:

Th-that's right.... please don't misunderstand. Wouldn't that put us in a bind?

If by 'you guys', you mean 'Sakura'. Besides, Sakura doesn't count, she's ALWAYS got that expression on her face.

... granted, Ogami always has that shocked expression on HIS, but.

[Yoneda]:

Well, 's all right. Could you guys hold the fort for a bit? I'm gonna go get some sake from the kitchen.

Times like these make me wonder if he actually does ANYTHING in that posh office of his.

Thankfully, Yoneda hasn't convinced the theater staff that the continued peace and safety of the country hinges on the installation of a direct pipeline of alcohol directly into his office.

[Sakura]:

.... he left. What should we do, Ogami-san?

[Ogami]:

Let's see...

Part of me regrets not choosing the third decision, if only to cringe at the Sakura-initiated surprise sex that would inevitably ensue.

[Sakura]:

If you say so, Ogami-san.

[Sakura]:

I haven't been in here very much, so it's somehow like a new experience.

---

... come to think of it, why DO they store armor and weapons in the office of a man known to get sloshed on a regular basis?

---
[Yoneda]

CHUGGA-CHUGGA-CHUGGA-CHUGGA, WOO-WOO! *HIC* ALL ABOARD TH' PAIN TRAIN, BABY! IT'SH FULLMETAL YONEDA TIME!!

[Ogami]

He.... why is he wearing armor and wielding a goddamn LANCE?! I thought I told you guys to keep all those sharp objects out of his office!! I- OH GOD, NO, DADDY, NO!!
---

[Yoneda]

Now then, go and do your best with those rounds. Get along well, you two.

---

---

If she inherited her swooning, stalker-like tendencies from her old man, I shudder to think what day-to-day conversations between Yoneda and Papa Shinguji might've been like.

[Sakura]:

Next time... I might try asking him about my father.

He might not want to remember. :cry:

[Sakura]:

Now, shall we go back to making the rounds?

The world-renowned Imperial Grand Theater Cafeteria.
Maximum Capacity: 12.

... plus those other invisible tables and chairs that only appear when you look for them up close.

SHE DROPPED DOWN FROM THE CEILING AAAAAAAHHHHH

[Ogami]:

I-Iris?! You're still looking for Jean-Paul?

[Iris]:

Yes...

[Sakura]:

We'll look for Jean-Paul for you, so please go to sleep for today.

[Iris]:

Please find him, Sakura...

drat, she really IS dedicated to that bear.

OKAY, FINE, WE'LL LOOK FOR HIM. I mean, it's not like it'd be HARD, right?

---
Jean-Paul toddled unevenly towards the tall, tall door, the stitches around its hidden mouth stretching hideously as some impossible force drew air in and out of its fluff-filled innards; the result of some useless, reflexive instinct instructing it to breathe. Without Iris's powers to hold back the laws of reality, the inexorable way of the universe began taking its toll on Jean-Paul. A stuffed animal such as itself should not be alive, despite the collective will of the once-human souls anchored within the teddy bear. Stitches were coming loose, the frightening light reflecting out of those button eyes were quickly fading, and Jean-Paul couldn't even float any more...

The collective will that bound life to the teddy bear had long-since evolved into a spirital force of its own, however. Jean-Paul knew this much: given a little time, he will be able to EVOLVE a way to sustain himself, long before the laws of physics dictate that he does not exist. If he can avoid Iris for long enough, he would become self-sufficient- and very much able to triumph over even her dread loli powers.

Jean-Paul slipped through the barely-open door just in time- the hallway behind him briefly echoed with footsteps before fading away again. The teddy bear crawled forward, his eyes gleaming in the manner of the mentally unstable. Soon, he would evolve into a force beyond reckoning, an entity that even the Imperial Assault Force would not be able to triumph over...

---

Yay, it's the stage!

[Sakura]:

This is the stage. This is the place where we work.

:ms:

[Ogami]:

(Secret brigade and secret stage, huh... such a horrible pun.)

[Sakura]:

What's wrong, Ogami-san?

---
[Ogami]:

Not much, just... you know, everything that's happened since I stepped foot into this theater.
Except for the clothes-changing thing. I'm still proud of that.

---

[Ogami]:

No... it's nothing.

Man, Maria doesn't hold back at all, does she?

[Sakura]:

Ah, Maria-san. But Ogami-san's the ticket-taker now, so....

Yes, thank you, that will help his case SO MUCH.

:smith:

[Ogami]:

Ah... I apologize. So, why did you come down to the stage...?

[Ogami]:

Sa-Sakura-san.... is Maria always like that...?

Always awesome? Yes.

[Sakura]:

W, well... let's just chin up and go somewhere else.

---
Painfully, slowly, Jean-Paul hauled himself on top of a pillow, bleeding spirit energy and coughing up some sort of fine mist. While Iris was carrying him around the dressing room, he'd seen where the empty seats were, and which cushions were never used. He did not have much time left before he became immobile for a small period of time. If he could just hide himself for that long...!
---

[Ogami]:

So this is the dressing room, huh...

---
Jean-Paul's plush limbs began stiffening, even as he cursed internally: Iris's poor, delusioned lackeys had found him. He had run out of time. His only chance would be to blend into the background.
---

[Sakura]:

Because this is Iris we're talking about, I think she forgot Jean-Paul in this room.

[Ogami]:

I see... let's try looking for him.

---
Huddled between the pillows, Jean-Paul could do nothing but sit still, desperately praying for a merciful release. The once-human souls roiled underneath his plushie exterior, groaning in barely-restrained agitation. He could not- he WOULD not allow these meddling fools to take him back to Iris, not after he got this close to escaping her clutches!!

Desperately, Jean-Paul used the last of his spirit energy to weave a spell of idiocy around the room...

---

Oh, for Pete's sake. Goddamn fetch quests. This is almost as bad as...

Almost... as bad... as.....

---
[Sakura]

Uh-oh, I cannot seem to find him. I must enlist the aid... of the children watching this show! Come on down, kids!

[Ogami]

Yaaaaay~!

[Sakura]

IS HE... HERE?

[Ogami]:

No~! Those're the CURTAINS! They stop Sakuras from stalking kids like Ogami!

[Sakura]

IS HE... HERE?!

[Ogami]:

Ha ha ha! No~!!! That is the OVERHEAD LAMP! It keeps Wicked Ol' Sumire at bay, as light will melt her evil ways!

[Sakura]

IS... HE... HERE?!

[Ogami]:

No, silly!!! Those are SHOES!!! SHOES that you wear... on your FEET, like Cranky Ol' Maria taught us!!!

[Sakura]

Where could he possibly be? Kids, do YOU see Jean-Paul?

----
Jean-Paul snarled. It wasn't working- they were adapting to the rules much too quickly. In fact, they'd found him!

The teddy bear thought fast, and thought deeply. His last hope was to add NEW variables. Yes- he had to summon the shade of some insane troglodyte of a man to 'swipe' him away while keeping Iris's lackeys at bay! Someone with a weakness so arcane that they wouldn't possibly be able to figure it ou-

Yes. Jean-Paul knew just the person.

----

[Ogami]:

There he is~! Yaaaay, we found hi-

[Sakura]:

UH OH, IT'S SWIPER!!

[Sakura]:

Quick, kids, we all have to say "Swiper, no swiping!" Otherwise, he will steal the teddy bear!!
SWIPER, NO SWIPING!!

[Ogami]:

Swiper, no swiping!

GRRRR!!

Sakura:

Oh no, he's going to attack us! LOUDER!!

[Ogami]:

SWIPER, NO SWIPING! SWIPER, NO SWIPING!

[Ogami]:

UuuuuoOOOOAAAARRGGHHH!! YONEDA, NO ALCOHOL!!

Aw, maaaaan!!

Jean-Paul slumped forward in defeat. Over... it was all over for him...
----

----
[Ogami]

But... why are there tears of blood leaking from its eyes...?
----

[Sakura]:

Thank goodness... let's hurry up and return it to her.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 28, 2012

Rose wood
Apr 4, 2006

You're a superstar!

Spirit Armor posted:

For the love interest ballot, I'll take that as a vote for 'FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NOT IRIS'. :3:

More or less, I'd have used more exclamation marks

Also page 2, yay! :toot:

Edit: Wow, update torrent! Maybe you should try to space out posting them a little? Seorin does one a day and that seems to work pretty well...

Rose wood fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 28, 2007

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

She'd better appreciate this, we had to waste a precious ten minutes on a fairly inane fetch-quest sequence to get her Jean-Paul.

[Ogami]:

This is... Iris's room, huh.

Yeah, I guess you DO tend to forget where these rooms are after visiting them for the fiftieth or so time.

... oh god, are they ALL crammed full of dead mens' souls so that they can float like Jean-Paul? :gonk:

[Sakura]:

Iris... it's Sakura. Could you open the door, please?

[Ogami]:

Here, Iris. It's Jean-Paul. It looks like you forgot him in the dressing room.

I have another theory, but I think you guys are already aware of it.

[Sakura]:

You shouldn't leave your best friend behind.

[Sakura]:

Now, it's already late, so... good night, Iris.

[Iris]:

Okay! Good night!

Fare thee well, Jean-Paul. Your sacrifice will always be remembered.
:patriot:

---

---
[Ogami]:

Yeah, now we can get some loving sleep without having to worry about waking up with a loli attached to your jugular vein... or worse.
---

[Sakura]:

Now, shall we keep making the nightly rounds?

BINGETY BINGETY BONG, FREE MOVEMENT'S OVAR

[Sakura]:

Ah.... it's already this late...

[Sakura]:

Should we end the nightly patrol here?

There's really not a lot left to PATROL 'cause you guys still won't let me into the basement, so.

---

How gentlemanly!

---

Of course...

---

... it all works out in the end.

:frogbon: Yeah, I REALLY exerted myself walkin' you here.

[Ogami]:

No, really, this is nothing. Okay, good night.

:wtc:

---
[Sakura]:

I won't even have to hang upside-down outside your window to take pictures of you changing your clothes!
:stalker:
---

[Ogami]:

...... eh?

I've reevaluated Ogami's mental density- it's not a failing, it's his brain's instinctual defense against the non-sensical nature of his interpersonal relationships. What he doesn't pick up on couldn't possibly hurt him! Right?

[Sakura]:

N, no, it's nothing. Now then..... good night.

---

The walk from Sakura's room to Ogami's room was edited out for gratuitous violence, suggestive themes, and hardcore badassity. I'm sure you all understand perfectly.

Yeah, it's a whole nine-o-clock at night. YOU'RE REALLY LIVIN' ON THE EDGE, YOU WILD MAN YOU.

[Ogami]:

I'm pretty tired... might as well go ahead and sleep.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 28, 2012

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

----

By some miracle of nature, night becomes DAY.

And somehow, the theater's still standing. :v: yaaaaay

Even when half-awake, Ogami finds himself compelled to remind himself of the nature of his surroundings so that he won't get morning confused with nighttime again. :smith:

[Ogami]:

That's right... they said that today was a day off from performing. It seems that I'm released from my ticket-taking duties, too.
Now... what should I do?

[Ogami]

Oh, right! I'll try talking to General Yoneda.
Does the.... Imperial Assault Force really not exist?

Does Yoneda NOT drink sake? Is Maria NOT hot? Is Iris NOT frighteningly eager to get into Ogami's pants? Is Sakura's universe NOT centered around Ogami?

[Ogami]
No matter what... I can't believe that. No, I don't WANT to believe that.
I'll get a clear answer directly from General Yoneda's own mouth!

Hahahahahahahahaha, good luck with that.

Oh, hey, let's talk to Maria. I know you guys've liked her a lot lately.

[Ogami]:

Ah, morning. I overslept a bit, I think.

... I can feel the disapproval radiating out of the core of her being and her '...'s from all the way back HERE.

[Maria]:

Ensign. Are you not unsatisfied with your work here?

Oh, good, she was just reading Ogami's mind-

GodDAMN it, woman, knock that off!!

Going for the wimp answer here.

[Ogami]:

I'm not unsatisfied, but... I came here to become the captain of the Imperial Assault Force.
Despite that, what I've ended up doing is clipping tickets... I have no idea what's going on here.

[Maria]:

Ensign.... I understand how you feel. However...
I know- of a world where pleasure does not exist... a world where you must fight in order to survive...
I do not want the Imperial Capital to become a city where all the smiles have disappeared.
And so, we welcome guests into this theater... and I believe that to be an extraordinary blessing.

[Ogami]:

Well, poo poo, no WONDER she takes the stage so seriously.

---

----
[Ogami]:

Oh, no, don't worry about ME, I'm just some lowly ticket-taker who has no place anywhere near the stage.

[Ogami]:

Sniff... jerk.
----

[Ogami]:

So everyone's going to be in rehearsal, huh..... well, maybe I'll go there afterwards.
First things first.. I've got to go to General Yoneda's office.

Dum dee dum dee doo.

---

Have I mentioned that Yoneda is like my second favorite male character in the entire series?

[Ogami]:

(This man... is he honestly drinking sake out here as well?)

Shore looks like it.

[Ogami]:
General Yoneda. I have questions that I wish to ask of you...

[Yoneda]:

I'm the manager, m-a-n-a-g-e-r. Knock it off with "General" when we're in the theater.
So.... what is it you wanted to ask about? Huh? Go on, tell me.

[Ogami]:

Yes. First of all....

[Ogami]:

.... w-what's the matter? Genera- I mean, Manager!

[Ogami]:

Don't tell me.... is it about the Imperial Assault Force? You've completely sobered up, right?

... YOU ARE A HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE MAN. :cry:

So, in addition to being drunk 85% of the time, he's also either incontinent or just cruel as hell. ... I'm banking on both at once.

[Ogami]

..... Manager Yoneda. Honestly... please knock it off with the jokes!

[Yoneda]:

Ogami, I'll listen to what you have to say after I get back.
'Til then, go and watch the Flower Division rehearse or something.

---

The second option looks about as entertaining as watching paint dry. To the stage!

[Ogami]:

.... I suppose that spacing out and waiting at a place like this would be sort of stupid.

Finally, he realizes the stupidity inherent in some of the choices his brain seriously takes into account.

[Ogami]
Let's go watch the Flower Division's stage rehearsal.

---

Oh no.

[Ogami]:

Hi, Iris.

What Cthulu-level horror FUN you could have with this phrase when taken out of context.

[Ogami]:

It's great that Jean-Paul came back, isn't it, Iris.

Not of his own free will, of course. :argh:

[Iris]:

... you know, Oniichan...

HERE IT COMES, BRACE FOR IMPACT

[Ogami]:

What's up, Iris?

Sumire: Fail.
Maria: Fail.
Sakura: Success.
Iris: Do Not Want.

My track record doesn't look too good, guys. :cry:

[Ogami]:

Really? ..... thanks.

[Iris]:

Eheheh...

Hiss! Argh! Saccharine moment! My blackened and withered heart is melting!!

[Ogami]:

Ah... that's right. Is the stage rehearsal going on right now?

Oh, thank GOD, he changed the subject.

[Ogami]:

Yup, that's right. I might learn something by watching them.

Ahahahahahahahahaha--

... oh, poo poo, he was being totally serious, wasn't he.

----
[Maria]:

People unrelated to the production are not allowed on stage.

[Iris]:

But Maria, Iris is also in the play-

[Maria]:

PEOPLE UNRELATED TO THE PRODUCTION ARE NOT ALLOWED ON STAGE.

[Ogami]

Leave it be, Iris, she's been like this since last night.
----

[Maria]:

Watching other people act is also a part of rehearsing. Come now, come over here.

From over where?

... this... this is like two steps away from where he was just STANDING.

[Sumire]:

Sakura-san! Your footwork is incorrect!

[Ogami]

Oh... they're doing it.
So behind those graceful-looking productions are these kinds of everyday rehearsals, huh...

[Sumire]:

Kyaa!

[Ogami]:

Wh-what?!

---
:siren:CUTSCENE VIDEO - 'GYEEEAAAPH!! *THUD*':siren:
It's here. A temporary video link that's... slightly borked at the beginning of the video, but it gets better. It's also not deinterlaced, but at least you can read the subtitles here! You can also tell which movies were just lifted straight from the Sega Saturn version.

This one's also sort of unskippable. Why would you WANT to skip this, though? :3:
---

The game literally gives you one second to make this decision.

[Ogami]:

Both of you! Stop fighting!!

[Sumire]:

E-Ensign?!

[Sakura]:

O-Ogami-san!! Watch out!!

MASOCHISM SOLVES EVERYTHING

[Ogami]:

Gwah--!!

[Sakura]:

Kyaaa, Ogami-san!! I'm so sorry!

[Sumire]:

E-Ensign.... why were you there....

[Ogami]:

I don't know a lot about the stage, and I have no intention of interfering with your rehearsal.
But... teamwork is important for an Operetta Troupe, right? So stop... fighting.

Gosh Ogami, you look sorta cool.

Sumire was impressed.

Iris was impressed.

Maria... I THINK she was impressed, in her usual arcane and impossible-to-read manner.

[Ogami]:

..... just as long as you understand. Now then, I'll be going...

---
[Ogami]:

.... to the bathroom to count how many teeth I have left and curl up in a stall, sobbing like a little girl.
---

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 7, 2013

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

[Ogami]:

.... hm?

[Ogami]:

Sakura-kun....

---

[Ogami]:

Okay. What is it?

[Sakura]:

Before you came here, Manager Yoneda told us...
That the captain of the Flower Division couldn't just be some normal soldier. No- he said that he wouldn't LET that happen...
To battle in a way that would sacrifice peoples' lives for the sake of victory- that is something that shouldn't be repeated...
That's why.... the person serving as the captain of the Flower Division MUST be someone who, for the Flower Division.... for this theater...
... and, for the way of living here, has to be able to feel love. That's what he told us.....
That's why Manager Yoneda went to the trouble of making you do something like taking tickets.

... drat. Looks like Yoneda is much, much deeper than most people have been giving him credit for, the sly old fox.

[Ogami]:

.... so that's how it was.

[Sakura]:

Please come to love this theater... and us, the Flower Division!
And also.... please become our captain, and fight alongside us!

[Ogami]:

'Fight'... 'fight', you said... but who in the world AGAINST...?

---

And all of a sudden- invisible, very-well-timed sirens sound off!

WE'VE GOT MOVIE SIGN

[Ogami]:

Wha, what's going on? What's this alarm for?

[Ogami]:

"Sortie"?! Wh-what the heck do you mean?!

:hellyeah:

---
:siren:CUTSCENE VIDEO - TO THE FLOWER ROOM!:siren:
It's here. Also a temporary video link until Google Video stops hating all of mankind, so the quality's horrid.

Okay, so it's all somewhat physically impossible, but hey! Enjoy the ride! Sakura sure is.
---

Huh.

Well, I'm sure that a clothes-changing system that requires you to plummet headfirst down a couple hundred feet long maintenance shaft is equipped with some sort of failsafe that makes it all perfectly safe. Right, Ogami?

Ogami?

R... right, that was Ogami's first time down the shaft, wasn't it.

(One trip to the emergency room later.....)

[Yoneda]:

Mm, good work!

Yeah, getting Ogami's neck to stop bending like that was pretty drat hardcore of the medical team, wasn't it?

[Ogami]:

M, Manager Yoneda... and everyone else.... th, this is?!

AWESOME is the word you're looking for, I think.

[Yoneda]:

.... sorry for attempting to deceive you back there.
However, I wanted to test you to see if you were fit to be the captain of a secret brigade.

I'm pretty sure he failed it at least a couple of times.

[Ogami]:

W... where in the world IS this?

[Yoneda]:

This is the heart of the Imperial Assault Force. ... the command room.

[Ogami]

Manager Yoneda! The Assault Force.... so the Assault Force really DOES exist!?

No. No, this is just an elaborate April Fool's joke to shatter the fragile remnants of your dreams and your sanity. SMILE, YOU'RE ON CANDID CAMERA~!

Also, he STILL fails at knowing what a secret brigade is.

[Yoneda]:

Of course... the Operetta Troupe is nothing more than a front to hide our existence from the outside world.
Now then, let me re-introduce you. These ladies are to be your subordinates, and are the members of the Imperial Assault Force, Flower Division.

[Sakura]:

As fellow new members of the Imperial Assault Force, let's do our best!

Yes, yes, I'm familiar with Sakura's :swoon:-ness.

And Iris's.

Okay, THIS is new, I've never gotten to this part of the game without Sumire regarding me like something she'd just scraped off of the bottom of her shoe.

Progress! :science:

[Maria]:

... is what I will be looking for as I evaluate your skills.

:eng99:
... and the usual.

[Ogami]:

Commander Yoneda. Who is our enemy?

IT LURKS INSIDE OF US ALL.

[Yoneda]:

That there is a mysterious organization that threatens the Imperial Capital with mechanical troops called "demon-driven soldiers"...
Its name... is the Hive of Darkness.

[Ogami]:

The Hive of Darkness...?

I swear that there's a different translation of their name every time I turn around. There was the 'Black Roots Council', the 'Shadow Council', the 'Kuronosu Council' (:effort:)...

I'm going with the Wikipedia name, even if it DOES sound completely stupid.

---

[Ogami]:

What did you say? Then... that rumor about a young woman who defeated a monster was actually about Sakura?!

If there's one thing you can say about Sakura, it's that she's a total badass with the sword.

[Yoneda]:

That's where we come in. We, too, have powerful weapons. Let me show you to the underground hangars.

[Yoneda]:

These are the secret weapons that are the pride of the Imperial Assault Force... these are the spirit armor, "Koubu"!

FINALLY, robots for the main characters that AREN'T about 99% humanoid. Even if these things are sort of shaped like garbage cans at first glance, I personally think that they're pretty drat awesome for mecha in the 1920's era.

[Yoneda]:

Aah.... mechanical armor, so to speak, that can only be operated by those possessing strong spiritual energy.
Those who have that power are the Flower Division.... and you, as well.
The Hive of Darkness's site of appearance is the same as last time, Ueno Park. Meet them at that site using the "Rolling Thunder"!

Also known as the 'Gourai-gou.' For once, I defaulted to Tokyopop's translation because it sounds f'in awesome (also a first).

[Ogami]:

.... the Rolling Thunder?

[Yoneda]:

In the space of a second, it'll carry you guys to anywhere in Tokyo. It's an awesome train!

----
[Ogami]:

.... I thought you said that the Koubu were the pride of the Assault Force?

[Yoneda]:

M'boy.... everything we do is loving awesome.
----

[Ogami]:

So that's what the Rolling Thunder is....

[Ogami]:

Ka-Kasumi-kun.....? Don't tell me that you're also....

----

[Ogami]:

Yuri-kun and Tsubaki-chan, too....

Yup. Remember them? The administrative duties girls?

----
[Yoneda]:

Ogami, these are the pride of the Imperial Assault Force: the Three Girls of the Theater!

[Ogami]:

Uh, General Yoneda....

[Yoneda]:

And here, we have the pride of the Imperial Assault Force: the Imperial Garbage Cans! Steam-powered, of course.

[Ogami]:

.... sir, I think it's time for your medication.

[Yoneda]:

By 'medication', you'd better mean 'enough sake to knock an elephant unconscious'.

[Ogami]:

I.... yes. Yes, that's exactly it, sir.

[Yoneda]:

:holy:
----

... drat, out of time again.

Not that it's out of character for Ogami, natch.

----

----

[Ogami]:

Er, no.....

[Yoneda]:

If you understand that much, hurry up and get into your Koubu! The enemy ain't going to wait around!!

[Ogami]:

Understood!

Thank goodness for small mercies.

[Iris]:

Do your best, Oniichan! Because Iris'll be cheering for you!!

I DON'T CARE, LEAVE ME ALONE :cry:

[Ogami]:

Right, leave it to me! We will defeat the enemies in Ueno!

[Ogami]:

Yessir!!

----

[Maria]:

.... Ensign. Are you serious?

YES, BECAUSE WE HAVE GIANT ROBOTS

THIS'LL BE THE MOST loving KICKASS CHERRY BLOSSOM VIEWING EVER, GUYS

Stop trying to rationalize my actions, woman, it's a lost cause.

[Sakura]:

Iris~! We'll leave the cherry blossom viewing preparations up to you!

[Iris]:

Got it~!

---
:siren:CUTSCENE VIDEO - Size Doesn't Matter.:siren:
It's here.

Now THIS is how you start up your robot: with oodles of yelling.
---

---
:siren:CUTSCENE VIDEO - MOTHERFRAKKIN' ROLLING THUNDER.:siren:
It's here.

The government has way too much time on its hands.
---

And they're off to dispense justice the old-fashioned way:

Mecha beatdown.

NEXT (true) UPDATE: Good guys KNOW how to make a great entrance.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 7, 2013

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Rose wood posted:

Edit: Wow, update torrent! Maybe you should try to space out posting them a little? Seorin does one a day and that seems to work pretty well...

See, now, that's probably the INTELLIGENT way of going about it. I, however...

Yeah, I'll be doing that from now on. :downs:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't see what's so great about Maria. Clearly we must pick based on maximal trainwreck potential, so unless one of the other girls is like, Gurren-Lagann level of badass Sumire is the only choice. :colbert:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Spirit Armor posted:

It'd be more doable if the game allowed me to save more than twice per episode, and at places other than the set-in-stone eyecatches. :/ As it is, exploring a different outcome or asking how I should answer a minor question would require some amount of starting over from a prior savepoint.

Ick, yeah, that's pretty harsh. I was hoping there would at least be save points... I've been blessed that in 2 of the 3 threads I've done, I could save anywhere (and the third had save points). If I think of another way to add some more interactivity, I'll let you know.

Rose wood posted:

I try anyway :unsmith:

Perhaps that'll help Spirit Armor avoid burnout and also the page-breaking troubles. It probably also helps, though, that my biggest updates have been ~70 images (which usually gets cut down to ~65ish, depending on how many I feel I can throw away without losing anything).

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I say go for the Trio!

Bow chikka bow wow :pervert:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hmm, so that's why. Here I thought everybody was denying the secret robot assault force because they figured that someone with special energy had to be a bit special in the :downs: way and they didn't want to break his little brain.

Good god, the side comments have me completely cracking up. This is great.

And for a second I thought the bullet train was going to get loaded into a giant underground revolver and fired to its target. Because that's the only possible way things could get any more awesome.

Spirit Armor posted:

THIS'LL BE THE MOST loving KICKASS CHERRY BLOSSOM VIEWING EVER, GUYS

I have composed a haiku to memorialize the occasion.

Cherry blossom falls -
Reflecting on life's frailty
WE KICK DEMON rear end

Sindai posted:

I don't see what's so great about Maria. Clearly we must pick based on maximal trainwreck potential, so unless one of the other girls is like, Gurren-Lagann level of badass Sumire is the only choice.

I've got a side vote in for the tonfa girl from the intro, whoever she is. She looks appropriately badass, but I have a feeling that giant sniper robots can be badasses too.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Holy poo poo, Maria's gigantic compared to the rest. :psyduck:

And Rolling Thunder truly is a kickass name. And a great video game, and a wrestling move, and a...etc etc :D

FFSabin
Jul 3, 2004

ぐるぐる
Loving this thread!

Ahahaha at first I thought the rolling thunder was going to launch like a space shuttle till the bottom gate opened.

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

YOU MUST ROMANCE THE IRIS.

Either her or Kana. I like extremes.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

Dominic Hokage posted:

Yeah, boy! :pedo: Creepy, is fun.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Sakura Wars is one of those games I've always wanted to play, but been hindered by my lack of Japanese fluency. It's awesome that you're going to the trouble of translating it for us so we can play it by proxy, and the commentary is hilarious, too.

As for which girl you should favour, I'm voting for Sumire, since doing so is sure to unleash Sakura's fury.

Rose wood
Apr 4, 2006

You're a superstar!

Dominic Hokage posted:

No

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I've been really enjoying this thread; I'd have replied earlier but I'm limited to 56k at the moment so it's, uh, taken me a while to read through all the updates. Your hilarious commentary would make this a very impressive LP on its own, but the fact that you're also taking the trouble to translate everything yourself pushes it over the line to awesome.

Also, consider this a vote for Sumire.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
go for the giant blond woman. maria is the only choice.

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

:mad: Fine, if I can't have my family-oriented :pedo: comedy, then I expect to see :swoon: Kanna :swoon: in a wedding gown at the conclusion of this LP.

This I DECREE.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Sindai posted:

I don't see what's so great about Maria. Clearly we must pick based on maximal trainwreck potential, so unless one of the other girls is like, Gurren-Lagann level of badass Sumire is the only choice. :colbert:

Sadly, no one on the Imperial Assault Force uses a drill as a weapon. :(

Theoretically, Iris probably has maximal trainwreck potenti :gonk:

seorin posted:

It probably also helps, though, that my biggest updates have been ~70 images (which usually gets cut down to ~65ish, depending on how many I feel I can throw away without losing anything).

That's a much more reasonable number. Some of my previous updates have gotten well into the hundreds- I know that my first two combined were about 350. :smith:

Canuck-Errant posted:

I say go for the Trio!

I'd be all for it if they were able to pilot something other than various transportation vehicles.

.. though the Rolling Thunder would certainly make a badass addition to the Force. RUN THEM DOWN :hellyeah:

Glazius posted:

Hmm, so that's why. Here I thought everybody was denying the secret robot assault force because they figured that someone with special energy had to be a bit special in the :downs: way and they didn't want to break his little brain.

Well, both possibilities aren't exactly mutually exclusive, as Ogami's inability to connect the dots has shown us. :downs:

quote:

Good god, the side comments have me completely cracking up. This is great.

Thanks! I'm just really having fun with this project, AND I love this series to pieces. :unsmith:

quote:

And for a second I thought the bullet train was going to get loaded into a giant underground revolver and fired to its target. Because that's the only possible way things could get any more awesome.

The Rolling Thunder has a way of transcending the very concept of awesome.

Semiru posted:

Holy poo poo, Maria's gigantic compared to the rest. :psyduck:

And Rolling Thunder truly is a kickass name. And a great video game, and a wrestling move, and a...etc etc :D

I looked it up. Maria's about 186 cm, according to the manual- and I only just now bothered to translate it to our (or just my) own unwieldy system. She's 6'1". By comparison... Ogami is 167 cm, or 5'7".

... holy poo-poo on a stick. :wtc: SHE'S A GIANT

FFSabin posted:

Loving this thread!

Ahahaha at first I thought the rolling thunder was going to launch like a space shuttle till the bottom gate opened.

INVISIBLE TRACKS!! :woop:

Dominic Hokage posted:

WHAT IS WITH ALL THESE VOTES FOR IRIS :cry: :france: must be proud as hell.

Of course, a Kanna is fine too. A Kanna is ALWAYS fine too.

Doktor Per posted:

Yeah, boy! :pedo: Creepy, is fun.

I can only pray that the game's next couple of episodes convince you otherwise, you poor, misguided, sadistic soul. :smith:

Shyrka posted:

Sakura Wars is one of those games I've always wanted to play, but been hindered by my lack of Japanese fluency. It's awesome that you're going to the trouble of translating it for us so we can play it by proxy, and the commentary is hilarious, too.

As for which girl you should favour, I'm voting for Sumire, since doing so is sure to unleash Sakura's fury.

If there's a series that ever needed more exposure, it's Sakura Wars. Glad you're enjoying the LP!

Also, I don't think that Ogami's gaining of a love interest would make one iota of difference to Sakura. She'd probably continue stalking him nonetheless. :gonk:

Rose wood posted:

No

(picture edited out for sanity)

STOP THAT :cry:

Thuryl posted:

I've been really enjoying this thread; I'd have replied earlier but I'm limited to 56k at the moment so it's, uh, taken me a while to read through all the updates. Your hilarious commentary would make this a very impressive LP on its own, but the fact that you're also taking the trouble to translate everything yourself pushes it over the line to awesome.

Also, consider this a vote for Sumire.

The thread's image troubles SHOULD be over (I hope), but hey, thanks for slogging your way through the oodles of screenshots! We're all praying to Jean-Paul, our lord and master for your escape from 56k.

And I'll keep that in mind, though I'm not actually going to seriously start keeping track until we get all of the pilots into the theater. :sweatdrop:

Fatbob posted:

go for the giant blond woman. maria is the only choice.

The half-Russian, half-Japanese gunwoman seems to be popular lately. :psyduck: I'll keep that in mind!

Dominic Hokage posted:

(.....)

This I DECREE.

:hellyeah:

In any case, the upcoming update will be.... somewhat on the light side, mainly because it turns out my allergy was a full-on cold. :smith:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Okay, fine. If you can't go for the Transport Trio, go for Maria. Because Dostoyevsky. :3:

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

-------
:siren: MOVIE ALERT! :siren:
The Introduction To The First Battle!

While I'll be covering and/or translating this in screenshot format, you'll be missing lots without the movie. Movement, music, voices, etc... and they're pretty nifty. GET TO WATCHIN'!

------

TAISHO ERA, 12th YEAR; APRIL
UENO PARK

If you're hankerin' to strike fear into the hearts of innocent civilians everywhere, you have to hit them where it hurts the most: their snack food industry.

(Censored for violence against innocent takoyaki stands. :argh: )

Meet the Wakiji. These brainless foot soldiers are the Koopa Troopas of the demon-driven mechanical soldiers: they're easy to kill, have a trillion variations on the theme, hit as hard as a sack of feathers--

And seem ludicrously easy to manufacture/spawn/etc. Seems like the Wakiji that Sakura cut to pieces had friends who would love to return the favor.

Our first Big Bad appears in a shower of peacock feathers. How many birds died to make this entrance possible? :(

This little piggy is cleavage cleavage cleavage sort of a crazy bitch. At least she has cleavage looks marginally human.

---

This little piggy is just... downright frightening. He would make such a cute couple with Iris, and they would destroy the world as they skipped along happily :gonk:

This little piggy is more eloquent than you'd expect out of a meatshie-

Wait..... they've got motherfucking SATAN batting for their team?! :wtc: WE'RE hosed

Oh, it's just some wannabe pretty boy poser. He doesn't even have a scrap of red ON him.

Though I have to say, that hair looks downright fabulous on him. And with an evil voice like that, he'd be PERFECT for one of those shampoo commercials.

----
Satan

Hmhmhmhm....
L'Oreal: Because... I'm Worth It.
----

Though, on another note.... the first version of Sakura Wars came out in 1996.

You heard it here first, we had psychotic, long and silver-haired pretty men as antagonists long before those Lifestream moonshine-chugging terrorist rednecks in Final Fantasy. :|

IN YOUR FACE.

But anyway...

WAKIJI HAET CONCESSION STAND

HAET IT... SO... MUCH

----

... derp?

Well, now we can get a good look at each of our robots, who'll be dashing in all heroically and stuff.

Yup, here they com-

:monocle:
:wth:
:woop:

HOLY MOTHER OF WHAT THE CHRIST

Wait, but it has no--

-- no goddamn TRACKS, how is it even--

-- wait oh god it just ejected the robots about A TRILLION FEET UP INTO THE AIR and oh god they're all hosed--

-- ah, gently caress it, gently caress YEAH! ROLLING THUNDER!! :hellyeah:

Thankfully, the Koubu manage to land feet first.

-- now, Robot Roll Call!

Sakura! ("Swoon~!")

Sumire! ("Oh~hohoho!!")

Maria! ("...")

O~gami! ("HOW DO I TURN OFF MY LEFT TURN SIGNAL?!")

The Imperial Assault Force, Flower Division: Making Entrances You'll Never Forget Since 1923.

... though, does the Rolling Thunder jump its tracks like that every time it passes by Ueno Park?

Yeah, they sort of ARE. I mean, LOOK at them, they're just blasting up and down all dramatic-like, as if they OWN the drat place.

Which they do, being the government and all. Again, however, that's totally besides the point.

Satan

Interesting... I shall handle this....

???

Hah... we'll leave this up to you.

Nevermind the fact that teaming up and forcing me to fight four bosses at once would utterly decimate the fledgling, half-strength Imperial Assault Force while it's still young and inexperienced. They're just going to let the Assault Force do whatever the fork it wants.

:downsbravo:

AND SO WE SHALL.

----

(continued in the next post)

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 28, 2012

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

-----
:siren: MOVIE ALERT! :siren:
Same deal as last time.

Motion is fairly key to this part of the game.
-----

But first, despite the angry enemy robo-things doddering around, there's always time for everyone's favorite section of vidya gaems:

The on-the-fly tutorial!

[Maria]

I believe that you've been reading the operating manual, but...

While riding the robot in question, which in turn was being carried by a train that ran without tracks and proceeded to barf us all out FOUR STORIES UP IN THE AIR.... yes, I think I managed to get past the table of contents.

[Maria]

Would you require me to instruct you on how to move around?

Lady, if I didn't at least know how to make the drat thing MOVE, I think my Koubu would be a crater in the ground.

I think I can afford to throw away my pride and dignity to learn how to keep myself alive, yeah.

[Ogami]

Aaah, please, by all means. I'd like to hear it again to make sure I've got it right.

Yeah, the battlefield WOULD be a horrible place to find out that you've got the brake and the gas pedal mixed up.

[Maria]

.... understood. In that case, we shall show you the basics. Please watch us carefully.

----
[Maria]

I'm certain that the evil demonic man and the Wakiji will be kind enough to wait over there and continue terrorizing the populace and their concession stands while we teach our esteemed leader how to put one foot in front of the other.

[Ogami]

... look, if you guys really don't want to do this...
----

[Maria]
First of all, Sakura-- let's start with you.

[Sakura]

Okay, understood!

Pink is Sakura's color, and she wields a wicked sword.

----
[Sakura]

Now, the badass entrance pose is key to ANYTHING you do. Understand? And see how I kicked up a flurry of cherry blossoms with my sword? You'll learn to do stuff like that even if there AREN'T any cherry blossoms around--

[Ogami]

Sakura-kun, can... can I just get the walking lessons first? Please?
----

As you can see, Sakura walked forward, eating up her action gauge as she goes.

I left out the whole "walking to the back, to the left, and to the right" of the demonstration. The action gauge only decreases when you go FARTHER from your starting point, so you can conceivably backtrack, run around obstacles, or even run around in circles for as long as you like- just as long as you don't take an action.

Or as Maria explains it...

[Maria]

Now, Sakura! Attack!!

[Sakura]

Alright!

Center the target, press the switch, AND CUT SOME BITCHES.

Circle button!

Circle button!

CIRCLE BUTTON x 5!

You press the circle button to make the Koubu attack, and can keep pressing it to keep hitting the enemy. Each hit eats a block of the action gauge- if you have enough blocks, you can throw in a maximum of five hits in one go. Naturally, you want to throw in as many hits as possible 'cause it does a fuckton of damage.

He's down...

... and as Sakura's gauge is empty, she ends her turn, hitting the 'Finish' button. Maria says pretty much what I just said, so I'll pass up on this part.

[Sumire]

Hmhmhm.... at last, it is the star performer's stage entrance.

Yes, yes, we know, just--

[Sumire]

Now, feast your eyes upon the intricacies of my magnificent, high-class performance.

YES, THANK YOU, WE GET IT. :argh:

After she lights Ogami's head on fire with her naginata...

... Sumire walks to the end of her movement range, running out of action gauge before she can actually attack.

Then, for some incomprehensible reason, she ends her turn instead of walking back and just defending. :downs:

[Maria]

Sumire... you have to stop there and wait for the next order.

[Sumire]

I suppose it cannot be helped. In that case, my movement phase ends here.

[Maria]

Even if your action gauge isn't completely depleted, you can end your phase, so....
Please respond accordingly to the situation and arrange all members in strategic locations.

Case in point:

Sumire gets pwned because she ended her phase within easy reach of an enemy. Without defending.

[Sumire]

Kyaa!!

[Sumire]

H, how dare you.... you are a million years too early if you intend to disable my Koubu!

[Sakura]

Are you alright, Sumire-san? I'm coming over now to help repair your Koubu.

The triangle button is 'Heal'. Doing so takes a LOT out of the action gauge, but..

Bam! Healbot'd. Sumire's blue HP bar goes back up.

[Maria]

Ensign... have you come to understand this?
Koubus come equipped with a function that allows them to repair their durability ratings...

The duct tape dispenser, the already-been-chewed-gum gun, and the spit-swabber.

[Maria]
... which is not limited to one's own unit, and allows one to repair a neighboring ally's Koubu.
Furthermore, it is possible to take defensive action and lessen the damage received from enemy units.

[Sumire]

That units designated as evil underlings would dare to injure this Koubu of mine....
Even if the heavens grant you pardon, I shall never forgive you!

The 'x' button allows you to...

... charge up your spirit gauge, which is basically your limit break gauge.

[Maria]

Ensign Ogami. As you can see, one's spirit gauge goes up after taking damage from an enemy, but...
... also, as Sumire just demonstrated, you are also able to boost your own spirit gauge.
And, once your spirit gauge has hit its limit, you become able to release your final attack!

If your gauge is full, just hit the 'x' button--

-- which, in this case, turns your normal attack into---

The "Kanzaki Whirlwind Style.... DANCE OF THE BUTTERFLY!"

SKRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

The special attacks in this game are very, very nice. Especially the mini-FMVs.

Yes, congrats, you blew your final attack on a grunt. :smith:

[Maria]

... this is everything that we are able to teach you.

----
[Maria]

Our tutorial concludes here, with Sumire's unit having incurred a few hundred thousand yen worth of damage for no reason whatsoever, as demon-driven mechanical soldiers continue turning Ueno Park into a pile of matchsticks. I hope you're happy, Ensign.

[Ogami]

Sorry, could you guys go through this stuff again? I think I fell asleep.

[Maria]

... that's it, I'm taking command.
----

[Ogami]

Aah, thanks. With this... I feel that I'll be able to make it work out somehow.

----
[Maria]

[Ogami]

Er, uh, I mean... yes'm, I most DEFINITELY got it.
----

[Maria]

Now then, Ensign.... we are relying on you to give us precise commands.

[Ogami]

Alright, first we destroy the demon-driven mechanical soldiers, 'Wakiji'!! Let's go, everyone!

----
[Maria]

... ... ...

[Ogami]

... look, they can't ALL be amazing flashes of inspiration, alright?
----

[Sakura]

Understood!!

NEXT TIME: WE WILL FINALLY GET TO THE ACTUAL FIGHTING PART OF THE GAME NEXT TIME, GUYS, I PROMISE

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 29, 2012

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Spirit Armor posted:

Of course, a Kanna is fine too. A Kanna is ALWAYS fine too.

If this is a reference to "A cat is fine, too" then the circle will be complete.

Also, I can't believe Sumire is wielding a giant loving naginata :hellyeah: My vote for her is that much less likely to change. Besides, she shows the most cleavage.

This game looks bad rear end, and I love steampunk besides. Never before have I more desperately wanted to understand Japanese.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Speaking of Kanna, has anyone seen her Voice Actress live, especially standing next to the rest of the cast? It's absolutely hilarious to see--she's actually shorter than the rest of the team, including Iris, but she's still got her bold voice and personality. It's really, really strange.

Edit: It's all coming back to me now. I'm actually remembering more of this story than I though I would; the plot twists, the theatrical productions, the heavy lesbian subtext--I love this loving series. :3:

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 29, 2007

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I don't know how I have missed this thread for so long. I've always wanted these games to be translated. I vote for Maria since she seems the most stable so far.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So is this grid-based or are we looking at actual free-range movement here? That is, can you cheat your action gauge by tweaking out a few fractions of a step and then still unload a full attack?

I note that Action Movie Rule 26 is in full effect: "even if the impact isn't strong, even if neither thing involved could possibly combust, when two objects collide there's a screenful of explosion". Or were those all fireworks stands?

Also, forget the mecha suits, the real hero here is piloting Rolling Thunder. Then again the tracks were probably just laid out by Diddy Kong rules - keep going full throttle and you'll never miss a jump.

Couple more questions:

I notice that despite the earlier slap fight and Sakura being inside the Doom Flower, Sumire only took out the mook. I'm guessing there's no friendly fire?

And how the heck does Tachibana work? Is her sniper rifle a normal attack with a giant range, or does she snipe entirely through special attacks?

Glazius fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 29, 2007

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rolling Thunder! :swoon:

Would just like to put my vote in for anybody but Iris. I like Sakura, Maria, Kanna, and so on are cool, and even Sumire is alright. (Naginata yaaaaaay!) I would just like to see you mistreat and neglect Iris as much as the game will physically allow.

seorin posted:

This game looks bad rear end, and I love steampunk besides. Never before have I more desperately wanted to understand Japanese.

Same here, though I think that some of the SRW games would take first priority, since they've only translated the OGs IIRC.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Bakanogami posted:

Same here, though I think that some of the SRW games would take first priority, since they've only translated the OGs IIRC.

There are also fan translations of SRW and SRW3 (by Aeon Genesis, so you know they're good), and AG have about half a dozen other SRW games on the backburner. I don't think you're ever going to see official translations of a SRW game besides the OGs, for legal reasons if nothing else -- sorting out all the intellectual property issues would be a nightmare.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

seorin posted:

If this is a reference to "A cat is fine, too" then the circle will be complete.

Most definitely. I traversed around 4chan for a while before I signed up for the SA forums. :unsmith:

quote:

Also, I can't believe Sumire is wielding a giant loving naginata :hellyeah: My vote for her is that much less likely to change. Besides, she shows the most cleavage.

Apparently, the Kanzaki family tradition not only consists of being horribly rich, but of being horribly rich while creating giant firestorms with a naginata. Though, yes, if you can get past her prickly cactus thorns, Sumire IS a great character. :3:

novaSphere posted:

Speaking of Kanna, has anyone seen her Voice Actress live, especially standing next to the rest of the cast? It's absolutely hilarious to see--she's actually shorter than the rest of the team, including Iris, but she's still got her bold voice and personality. It's really, really strange.

I've seen a few videos on YouTube. Kanna's voice actress is about twenty shades of awesome. She's got a snappy sense of humor and a ridiculously lively and boisterous voice-- and she's more like a hilarious older aunt than your typical VA.

That she's short beyond any hope makes stage productions interesting. They try to make her seem buff like Kanna by giving her shoulderpads, but it doesn't really help.

quote:

I love this loving series.

:rock:

Spuzz posted:

I don't know how I have missed this thread for so long. I've always wanted these games to be translated. I vote for Maria since she seems the most stable so far.

It seems pretty close between Maria and Sumire! I wouldn't know, because I haven't actually started tallying the votes thus far. :iamafag:

Glazius posted:

So is this grid-based or are we looking at actual free-range movement here? That is, can you cheat your action gauge by tweaking out a few fractions of a step and then still unload a full attack?

Free-range, though if you go to the menu, you can see that each character's max movement is confined to more of a circle than a grid. It still measures the distance traveled, however, so the action gauge can't really be cheated. I only tweak around if I note that an enemy (or multiple enemies, with some characters) can get targeted if you turn just right.

quote:

I note that Action Movie Rule 26 is in full effect: "even if the impact isn't strong, even if neither thing involved could possibly combust, when two objects collide there's a screenful of explosion". Or were those all fireworks stands?

I think that most of the useless little doodads that you can waste time destroying- snack stands, cars, etc- all explode, even if it's not entirely possible for them to.
:effort:

quote:

Also, forget the mecha suits, the real hero here is piloting Rolling Thunder. Then again the tracks were probably just laid out by Diddy Kong rules - keep going full throttle and you'll never miss a jump.

I personally like to think that the engineering team made the grave mistake of allowing Yoneda to look over the final blueprints... while he was drunk off his rear end.

----
[Yoneda]

*Hic* D'you, d'you know what'd be fuckawesome? JUMPSH. Here, here, an'... oh, y'know, here.

[Engineer]

B-but sir, you... you just took a pocketknife and cut out bits of the blueprint at random--

[Yoneda]

HEY, GUESS WHAT, YER PROMOTED NOW!! GET T' WORKIN' ON IT, YOU WILD MAN YOU!!

[Engineer]

Y... yessir.
----

quote:

Couple more questions:

I notice that despite the earlier slap fight and Sakura being inside the Doom Flower, Sumire only took out the mook. I'm guessing there's no friendly fire?

Oh GOD no. Given how many of the characters have AOE final attacks, that'd make the game hellish. :gonk:

quote:

And how the heck does Tachibana work? Is her sniper rifle a normal attack with a giant range, or does she snipe entirely through special attacks?

Characters have different normal attack patterns- for instance, Sumire's attack is short-ranged but elongated, while Sakura's was just one enemy.

So, yes, Maria's normal attack is single-targeting-- at giant range (no minimum range, however).

Bakanogami posted:

Rolling Thunder! :swoon:

Would just like to put my vote in for anybody but Iris. I like Sakura, Maria, Kanna, and so on are cool, and even Sumire is alright. (Naginata yaaaaaay!) I would just like to see you mistreat and neglect Iris as much as the game will physically allow.

I'll keep that in mind!

quote:

I would kill for an English translation and/or port of SRW's Alpha series. And the PS2 OGs.

Thuryl posted:

There are also fan translations of SRW and SRW3 (by Aeon Genesis, so you know they're good), and AG have about half a dozen other SRW games on the backburner. I don't think you're ever going to see official translations of a SRW game besides the OGs, for legal reasons if nothing else -- sorting out all the intellectual property issues would be a nightmare.

Not to mention the inevitable English dubbing.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Spirit Armor posted:

Most definitely. I traversed around 4chan for a while before I signed up for the SA forums. :unsmith:

That amuses me, mostly because the original comic just came up in my Tsukihime thread. We haven't seen the last of it, either.

Rose wood
Apr 4, 2006

You're a superstar!

Spirit Armor posted:

STOP THAT :cry:

I'll stop when people stop voting for the evil little french girl :colbert:

(Did they switch the colbert and crossarms emoticons? This post's going to look odd when they change that back...)

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Rose wood posted:

(Did they switch the colbert and crossarms emoticons? This post's going to look odd when they change that back...)

They've been like that ever since I signed up here, which leads me to believe they're not likely to be changed back in the immediate future.

JoaoLangston
Jul 24, 2006
Iris. Because anime and pedo go so well together

Seriously, Maria because she probably the most mature female out of the troupe.

Great LP, enjoying it so far, please continue on with it. I always wanted to play it but translating Japanese into English. :effort:

Voting 5

Rose wood
Apr 4, 2006

You're a superstar!

Thuryl posted:

They've been like that ever since I signed up here, which leads me to believe they're not likely to be changed back in the immediate future.

Really? Huh, I never noticed... I guess I don't really use those two very often!

Also I forgot to mention when I was posting originally, but jumping steampunk trains are fantastic - forget the mecha, let's just ride around in that all day! :3:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Really enjoying this thread so far. I read about this series a long time ago, and wondered how the hell they'd mix a strategy RPG with a dating sim. At least it looks to be turning out MUCH better than the clusterfuck that was Thousand Arms.

Also voting for Maria, because of her sexy, sexy competence. :fap:

The vote's liable to change if/when new love interests are introduced, though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Rose wood posted:

Really? Huh, I never noticed... I guess I don't really use those two very often!
IIRC, someone in another forum was going to buy one of them, but FYAD beat them to it and deliberately put in a completely different image.

So then someone bought the intended image with the appropriate code for the FYAD emote, and they've been reversed ever since.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

seorin posted:

That amuses me, mostly because the original comic just came up in my Tsukihime thread. We haven't seen the last of it, either.

... I'm horribly tempted to read your thread, but I'm equally tempted to actually play Tsukihime sometime (admittedly, mostly after having my brains turned to mush by this possibly spoiler-ish AMV(?)), so I might wait a bit first. ONE OF THESE DAYS

Rose wood posted:

I'll stop when people stop voting for the evil little french girl :colbert:

You realize that that might only happen when we actually end up choosing a love interest. :smith:

JoaoLangston posted:

Iris. Because anime and pedo go so well together

Seriously, Maria because she probably the most mature female out of the troupe.

Great LP, enjoying it so far, please continue on with it. I always wanted to play it but translating Japanese into English. :effort:

Voting 5

Thanks a lot, man! My grand master plan is to work through all five major installments in the series. We'll see if it pans out.

Also, another one for Maria, eh? My, she's popular.

Rose wood posted:

Also I forgot to mention when I was posting originally, but jumping steampunk trains are fantastic - forget the mecha, let's just ride around in that all day! :3:

It'd be like that Initial D parody with the subway trains MULTITRACK DRIFTING, only MORE hardcore.

Rollersnake posted:

Really enjoying this thread so far. I read about this series a long time ago, and wondered how the hell they'd mix a strategy RPG with a dating sim. At least it looks to be turning out MUCH better than the clusterfuck that was Thousand Arms.

Also voting for Maria, because of her sexy, sexy competence. :fap:

The vote's liable to change if/when new love interests are introduced, though.

Haven't played Thousand Arms, but you really can't get much better than Sakura Wars when it comes to strategy RPGs-slash-dating sims (only Galaxy Angel comes close, and only by the strength of its characters rather than, say, an engaging plot). Glad you're liking this thread, tho'!

I'll remember that you're keeping Maria in mind ALL NIGHT LONG :v::fh:

Sorry for being tardy! Short update coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

This is going to be a pretty brief update- just crankin' through the first battle, because the next update's going to be including a good chunk of stuff. Also, I wasn't quite sure what to focus on when covering a battle like this, so this is sort of a test run for future fight-related udpates.

--------
:siren: WE'VE GOT MOVIE SIGN :siren:

The video of the first battle is here.

Seriously, at least watch it for the shiny final attacks!
--------

Now that the tutorial's over, the battle starts in earnest! As you might've guessed, the objective of this mission is simply to destroy all the enemies- not a particularly difficult feat, as they're all weak, melee, and not particularly aggressive. So let's get crackin'!

I forgot to mention: I love this music, AND it's catchy as hell. It's not your standard RPG technorock, which is always nice- that it actually fits the theme and the setting is just icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

(00:04)

Similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, there's a definite turn order, determined, I think, by each character's movement stats. No matter what, Ogami's always first up to bat, which is always convenient.

Not only does his white Koubu have the Zaku Horn of Leadership, but it wields two swords as well. No wonder he's so drat good at clipping tickets- I mean, if he's so used to cutting and cutting and cutting and cutting and cutting...

(00:12)

After spinning the camera around 180 degrees (the other Koubu are off at the bottom of the screen now), I just have him bull-rush the nearest enemy--

-- and pull off a five-hit attack. God, I love not having to worry about defending or anything like that this early in the game.

Sadly, the Wakiji pulls through with like 5 hp, but...

(00:24)

[Wakiji]

Kiiii-----!

... at least our man manages to get a conversation started.

[Ogami]

Wah! It, it replied?! Does it... understand speech?

[Wakiji]

KIIII-----!!

Why the gently caress can't we take the effort to try recruiting these guys onto our team? DEMON-DRIVEN MECHANICAL SOLDIERS HAVE HEARTS TOO, GUYS

[Ogami]

So this is a Wakiji...

(00:33)

... tempting, but the wakiji ain't cute enough for me to hit option 3.

[Ogami]

I'll do my best to defeat it! For we must protect the peace of our Imperial Capital!!

[Yoneda]

Hoh? So that proud mouth of your is smack-talkin' even before your first fight's over, huh?

[Ogami]

.... did I just get praised? Though I didn't get that feeling at ALL....

Only Yoneda could praise and put down in the same phrase. :colbert:

[Wakiji]

Kiiii-----?

(00:52)

----

Sakura's up next. As if the sword doesn't make her samurainess plain enough to see, her pink Koubu is also customized with those nifty red samurai hip/leg-guards.

One strike finishes off what Ogami started!

(01:10)

In case you haven't noticed, each character's in-battle sayings are more ego-stroking DIFFER depending on their trust level with Ogami. :gonk:

I end her turn next to him anyway. Since this is the first battle, everyone has something to say to Ogami....

(01:22)

You tore one apart with your bare hands, woman. Crushing it with an even bigger robot probably isn't that big of an accomplishment.

[Ogami]

Aah, that's right. Let's keep it up and take back Ueno Park!

[Sakura]

Yes, I'll do my best!! Because, you know...

[Sakura]

... Ueno Park WAS an important place, for the both of us...

[Ogami]

Eh.....

[Sakura]

Ogami-san... you still remember what happened at this park, right?

Ogami got baffled, Ogami nearly decided to interrogate Sakura to make sure that she was REALLY of the Imperial Assault Force, Sakura fell madly in love with Ogami's baffled face...

Yeah, I think he'd remember. I think he'd SAVOR that period of time, as it was before he became aware of the Dread Loli, Iris Chateaubriand's, existence.

[Ogami]

Eh.....?!

(01:33)

Yes, because believe it or not, my memory is BETTER than that of a goldfish's. :v:

... we totally should've had an awesome samurai battle TO THE DEATH, though.

[Ogami]

This is the place where we first met. Of course I'd remember.

Can't... can't you just answer that like a normal human being?

[Sakura]

Ogami-san... as expected, you remembered for me.

[Ogami]

Aaah, of course. There's no way I would forget. It's the same for you, right, Sakura-kun?

:froggonk:

C... can't you guys just hold a CONVERSATION like normal human beings?!

[Sakura]

Yes....

[Ogami]

Alright then, for the sake of protecting our memories, there's no way we're going to lose!

:patriot:

[Sakura]

Understood! Let's do our best together, okay?

God, they're acting like newlyweds, and this is only the first day that they've met. Could you possibly imagine what their date or, gods forbid, their MARRIAGE would be like? They would probably be sucking face 24/8.

(01:51 - 02:03)

The enemies' turns went uneventfully- the Wakiji standing farther away did, like, nothing. Sometimes, even the grunts can outpace your own characters- Maria and Sumire ARE on the slower end of the team, anyway.

----

Even the nearest Wakiji kicking the poo poo out of Ogami doesn't do a whole lot of damage. He didn't even need to defend.

(02:13)

Maria's Koubu is jet-black. It's got the longest range on the team, and it's arguably one of the cooler-looking mechs; not only is there a gun built into its right hand, but there's what I think is a hip-slung shotgun, too.

I fiddle around with the aim for a few seconds. Maria can USUALLY shoot at things from certain rooftops or hills, but not this time. This isn't her maximum range- it's somewhere between 1.5 and 2 times that long.

"It ends here."

-- she quips coolly, ignoring Ogami's screams of pain as he's caught in the blast radius and pierced by shrapnel.

:kamina:

(02:46)

There's no one left to fight.

----

No one left within REACH, that is.

And because her normal AND special attack ranges aren't so great, Sumire can't even get sloppy seconds. :( Definitely not a problem during boss battles- Sumire's awesome for those- but it's a pain because most stages require you to get from point A to point B in a relatively swift amount of time.

Granted, I've never had Sumire as my top girl before (or anywhere close, for that matter), so it always seems like she goes dead last.

ALWAYS.

(03:05)

Ogami doesn't even get to mouth off or make cool comments before his turn starts. Everyone else does it for him.

(03:17)

Not that it matters, because WHOA poo poo TIME TO EXPEND WAY TOO MUCH ENERGY TO OFF ONE BAD GUY

"Rouko Mekkyaku..."

"KAITOU RANMA!!

BAM. Wolf-Tiger Destroyer, Problem Solvin' Blade.

... not that the last part actually translates like that. Every other translation of Kaitou Ranma is something like "to cut the Gordian knot swiftly".

That's right, you heard it here first. Ogami is a firm proponent of the following philosophy: if you can't solve a problem any other way, FORCEFULLY CUT IT TO PIECES.

Hell, it's Ogami-recommended, Sumire-approved.

(03:56)

Sakura's turn again! Let's use her to clear the bridge for us.

... as annoying as she is when she's totally besotted by Ogami, Sakura's final attack is, hands down, one of the most convenient things in this game. Not only is it long, it's wide enough to get some clusterfuck action going- and I always try to get at least two enemies caught up in it, hence the fiddilng to make sure that it WILL clear the bridge.

The game also kept trying to make Sakura target the concession stands for some bizarre reason.

"Haja Kensei..."

"OUKA HOUSHIN!"

BAM. Destroyer of Evil's Conquering Sword, Cherry Blossom's Divine Release.

... HOW THE gently caress DO THEY PACK SO MUCH AMBIGUOUS HARD-TO-TRANSLATE MEANING INTO FOUR KANJI SYMBOLS :argh:

Welp, at least the bridge's cleared. Two enemies left. One defends--

(04:44)

-- while the other charges in and pokes Ogami around for a bit.

(04:58)

Of course, this--

-- brings the Wakiji--

-- right into the range of--

-- Maria's--

-- final attack, IF SHE COULD STOP HER PSYCHOTIC NEED TO TARGET CONCESSION STANDS AND EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE WAKIJI THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Goddamn game's autotarget. :mad:

"Echo resoundingly through the withering arctic night..."

"SNYEGUROCHKA!!"

ICE4'd.

'Snow Maiden', a Russian folktale. Thank loving god for the anime series for translating that- without them, I never would've gotten that (believe me when I say that 'Sunoyeguroorasuka' doth not make for easy translating).

(05:50)

Oh Sumire, you so useless and short-ranged. :( She more than justifies herself during later boss battles (and, I assume, if she were to become Ogami's love interest), but STILL.

(06:13)

... of course, Ogami's in much the same boat at this point in time. Where's a good ranged unit when you need her?

(06:25)

Sakura comes in, thankfully with enough on her action bar left to smack the Wakiji around a bit.

(06:33)

I guess we CAN spend some time chatting now, 'cause one Wakiji really isn't a threat AND his days are numbered anyway.

... also, he's asking this question to a woman who charged one of these monsters with a sword, AND he's asking this question when they've just about cleaned house. Good timing, mang.

[Sakura]

Thank you for asking. I AM a bit nervous, but... I will be all right.
More importantly, how about you, Ogami-san?

[Ogami]

Eh?

[Sakura]

You've suddenly been thrust into a battle while riding a completely new machine. Doesn't that make you nervous, or make your heart race?

[Ogami]

Let's see...

(06:46)

Because Ogami is neither a pansy or a romantic with horribly inappropriate timing, he answers like any sane navy man would.

[Ogami]

Thanks, I'm fine. We're all fighting together, so I'm not at all nervous.

An ill-founded belief, as we shall soon prove.

[Sakura]

Hehehe... you're right. Somehow, you've put me at ease, too!
Ogami-san! Let's do our best together to protect the peace of the capital!

[Ogami]

Aah, of course! Sakura-kun... let's go!!

[Sakura]

Understood!

AAH OH GOD THE REMAINING WAKIJI KILLED SAKURA OMG HER COCKPIT EXPLODED AND

... goddamn, what'd they make those Wakiji swords out of? Cardboard tubes with dry ice for the special effects? I guess that's the power of Sakura's love for Ogami

(07:26)

Maria takes a potshot at the Wakiji at closer range before ending next to Ogami. I want to hear their conversation, too.

(07:30)

[Maria]

... cover? What are you saying?
If you are the captain, you should be the one to determine whether or not we require cover on this side.
If not... then there is no way I will ever accept you as the captain of the Imperial Assault Force, Flower Division.

:saddowns:

[Ogami]

Eh!? E, even if you say that...

[Maria]

Please keep this in mind. Because I have not yet accepted you as our captain.

[Ogami]

I got it... I'll put all my effort into doing my best, so...

This is not an auspicious beginning.

(08:07)

Let's see if Sumire wi

[Sumire]

Oh~hohoho! As expected of the Ensign, you DO know how to make me laugh.

For opponents these weak... you would go to the trouble of making me play backup?
I shall simply conduct myself in the manner of my own choosing.

Please do your best, Ensign!

[Ogami]

Go ahead... I give in...

... go team. :smith: "We're all fighting together, so I'm not nervous", eh, Ogami?

(08:22)

At least I still have one person and one loli cheering for me, for what little reassurance that it's worth.

And in short order, the last Wakiji is totally punked.

[Ogami]

However, those guys who'd been giving out orders- where on Earth could THEY have gone....

We'll certainly find out next time! And by 'next time', I mean 'tomorrow night'.

Cue the boss battle music. :3:

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 30, 2012

• Locked thread