Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is there something wrong with me, that I like them all _better_ when they're borderline homicidal? These intercuts make the LP more than the game makes the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

Kanna not in 1st or 2nd place fills Ryu with RAGE!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Spirit Armor posted:

True that.

Since Japan is Japan, though, I'll be that someone's written/drawn something along those lines. :gonk:
That's because you got my vote wrong, and I did vote for Sumire first, then Sumire and Kanna to get married because Ogami is worthless.

I didn't know that spoilered thing was part of the equation though :gonk:

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.
Gonna get a very short update up in a bit.

Upon hindsight, it's too drat short. Fattening it up for later, will have it up sometime tonight.

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Well, except that the fact that Maria's segment is coming to a close soon means...

Yup! They're hosed. All of them.

Alacron posted:

I stand by my vote, at least Sakura isn't sticking probes in places where they really don't belong nor does she have any plans to stick Ogami's soul into a stuffed animal.

Also, the fact that I'm the only who's voted for her so far means that I'm unique

... or masochistic.

Though the funny thing is, Sakura is supposed the title character. I'm not sure what that says about the game's scriptwriters.

BlondRobin posted:

No, look, if you think that you haven't actually played the first game of the second series. It's bad.

This bodes not well for the rest of my playthrough of that game, I see. :gonk:

BlondRobin posted:

Anyway, good to see a more constant update schedule even if it does mean those hired assassins are totally useless and I hope it continues.

Hired assassins are overrated. If you want a job done correctly, you have to do things yourself (or just pay them more).

BlondRobin posted:

Also, a blimp? What? Why? Why on earth would you use a blimp to cover ONE CITY? The only reason to use a blimp would be to handle difficult or impossible terrain! And that's not even considering what a totally idiotic idea it is to build the hangar DIRECTLY UNDER THESE PEOPLE'S HOUSES AND

Because it's anime! Anime's meant to totally screw the figgins out of reality, common sense, and perhaps the fundamental basics of anatomy. :iamafag:

Morgenthau posted:

Waking up to see a heavy cast iron stove falling to your head would be pretty much one of the shittiest deaths possible.

Better than getting killed by being in a front-row seat during Sakura's legendary theater-destroying stumble.

Dash Magnum posted:

I sort of imagine a couple intrepid families actually going to the effort of bolting down most of the large furniture and then strapping themselves into their beds at night like astronauts. The parents tuck their children in at night telling them not to worry, because they're smarter than their neighbors because they've planned ahead.

Then their neighbor's cast-iron stove comes crashing through their walls from above. :gonk:

I, I'm fairly certain that the game would be so much cooler if they'd actually thought of little details like this. :gonk:

Glazius posted:

Is there something wrong with me, that I like them all _better_ when they're borderline homicidal? These intercuts make the LP more than the game makes the LP.

Yeah, this is what a campy setting can do to a cast of good characters. The after battle sequences tend to be the worst.

Dominic Hokage posted:

Kanna not in 1st or 2nd place fills Ryu with RAGE!

But she's made it up to third place, I hope you realize. Kanna actually surpassed Kohran!

CannonFodder posted:

That's because you got my vote wrong, and I did vote for Sumire first, then Sumire and Kanna to get married because Ogami is worthless.

I didn't know that spoilered thing was part of the equation though

No, I got your vote down too. I just added that other vote in for color.

And yeah, about THAT? Don't ask, don't tell.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 14, 2007

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Wasn't that because the Americans had blockaded the Germans from getting helium and forcing them to use hydrogen?

True, but they were still pretty vulnerable to ground/air-to-air fire seeing as how they traveled at about walking pace.

Now if someone could put together an armored blimp...it could hover over a battlefield and do command and control...and mount ground-attack weapons...

Great, now I have to go design an armored blimp that is a combination of an AWACS and an AC-130 or I'll never get any sleep.

/derail

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Moon Slayer posted:

True, but they were still pretty vulnerable to ground/air-to-air fire seeing as how they traveled at about walking pace.

Now if someone could put together an armored blimp...it could hover over a battlefield and do command and control...and mount ground-attack weapons...

Great, now I have to go design an armored blimp that is a combination of an AWACS and an AC-130 or I'll never get any sleep.

/derail

You mean something like this?

Granted it's not very much like an real airship. But it's still pretty impressive.

And now we continue our regularly scheduled programming.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Argh

Bit off a little more than I can chew- there's only so much stock campiness that my brain can handle before it shuts down. Too much to comment on...

I'm pulling out the short update right now, and get something more substantial out tomorrow. Sorry about this.

Oh, and I've mostly updated the table of contents in the first post.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 15, 2007

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Everyone's full of spirit (except for Sakura), and Kohran's first in the rankings, but...

... the stats say otherwise. Kanna is, once again, some kind of freakishly unstoppable monstrosity (9 atk, 9 def, 9 move), though Kohran and Sumire are giving her a run for her money.

Sakura? I guess she's just kinda there.

TAISHO ERA, 12th YEAR; JUNE
TSUKIJI

----

----

You have to admit that even when Maria's being a colossally stubborn idjit...

----

----

----

----

----

----

----

... she can still act really loving cool.

----

----

[Setsuna]

Kukukukuku.... so it appears that you truly fear letting others know about your past!

----

[Setsuna]

Hahaha! You've completely fallen for my trap!!

----
[Maria]

What the-- you just TELEPORTED these Wakiji in from out of the blue! That's not fair!

[Setsuna]

Fair? FAIR? Do YOU want to talk about fair?! YOUR boss doesn't force you all to sortie one at a time, instead of getting all us big nobs together and sweeping through the Imperial Capital in a matter of minutes! All WE get are stupid Wakiji!

[Maria]

Well, you--

[Setsuna]

YOU'VE got flashy finals and protects and strategies, too, and all those cool uniforms! Do you know what I have? Huh?!

[Maria]

That doesn't--

[Setsuna]

I've been ten years old for countless millennia and all I get out of the deal is a loving bowl cut and the most ridiculously cheesy laugh the world has ever known!! Tell me why I shouldn't just defy the laws of drama and tear you to bits right now, the easy way!!

[Maria]

I could just pop open the hatch of my Koubu, pull out my pistol, and plug your face full of holes.

[Setsuna]

... point taken. Let's... let's just get you inside.

----

~ Fin.

... how the hell did she EXPECT this encounter to go?

Some time later, despite the fact that Maria came here on foot and everyone else drove in by blimp...

[Ogami]

And Maria?

----
[Ayame]

I strongly advise letting Kohran go in first to disarm any explosives she may have left behind.

[Ogami]

To keep the Wakiji away, right?

[Ayame]

... what do YOU think, Ogami-kun?

[Ogami]

I'm thinking that it'd have been more prudent to allow us to wear bulletproof vests, actually.

[Ayame]

We're not made of money. We can't spend money to protect that which is easily replaceable.

[Ogami]

I... you guys can afford to launch a giant freakin' blimp anytime you WANT, for crying out loud! And by replaceable, you're--

[Ayame]

Maria won't shoot to kill, she'll just shoot to excruciating amounts of pain. Organs and limbs are replaceable.

[Ogami]

How about sanity and peace of mind!?

[Ayame]

I think Kohran knows a thing or two about brain transplants--

[Ogami]

I'M SORRY, SIR, BUT "KSSH" WE'RE BREAKING "KSSH" UP "KSSSSSH" CAN'T HEAR "KSSSH" YOU HANGING UP NOW "KSSSH."

----

[Ayame]

Ogami-kun, your priority is to get closer and investigate the area around her Koubu.

[Everyone]

Understood!

-------
OPTIONAL VIDEO ALERT :siren:

The previous scene in video format. With motion!

Google Edition
Youtube Edition
-------

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 22, 2012

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!

Spirit Armor posted:

Argh

Bit off a little more than I can chew- there's only so much stock campiness that my brain can handle before it shuts down. Too much to comment on...

I'm pulling out the short update right now, and get something more substantial out tomorrow. Sorry about this.

Oh, and I've mostly updated the table of contents in the first post.

When it comes to campy steampunk adventures, nothing can out-camp Steam Detectives. :colbert:

Still, I can't help but feel a little sorry for Maria. Thus far she's been portrayed as a top-notch, got-her-poo poo-together killjoy soldier, but for the sake of plot she has to ignore a trap so obvious it makes Wile E. Coyote's inventions look downright subtle.

Looking forward to the next update, even if the campiness is enough to make Adam West nauseous. :dance:

EDIT:

Cooked Auto posted:

Granted it's not very much like an real airship. But it's still pretty impressive.

Hello, new desktop wallpaper! :haw:

Dash Magnum fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 15, 2007

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.
How in god's name is a sword at all threatening to a gigantic metal robot? Here's a mystical magical hint: if your armor can stop and/or deflect tank rounds, it's not gonna have a lot of problems with a steel katana, even if it's being wielded by another robot.

Especially if said robot has stick arms. Seriously.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

John Pastor posted:

How in god's name is a sword at all threatening to a gigantic metal robot? Here's a mystical magical hint: if your armor can stop and/or deflect tank rounds, it's not gonna have a lot of problems with a steel katana, even if it's being wielded by another robot.
A wiz^b^b^bscientist did it.

That is to say, Spirit Energy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

John Pastor posted:

Swords are cooler than guns. Therefore they are more powerful! :eng101:

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Dash Magnum posted:

When it comes to campy steampunk adventures, nothing can out-camp Steam Detectives. :colbert:

Oh god, I remember this series. poo poo was epic. :colbert:

Dash Magnum posted:

Still, I can't help but feel a little sorry for Maria. Thus far she's been portrayed as a top-notch, got-her-poo poo-together killjoy soldier, but for the sake of plot she has to ignore a trap so obvious it makes Wile E. Coyote's inventions look downright subtle.

Looking forward to the next update, even if the campiness is enough to make Adam West nauseous. :dance:

Oh, if you think SHE isn't being subtle...

John Pastor posted:

Pretty much everyone else's reply on the subject seems to be pretty spot-on.

I'ma just add anime physics to that list.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

-------
:siren: BATTLE VIDEO ALERT :siren:

And now, the battle, linked here for completeness' sake.

Google Edition
Youtube Edition
-------

This stage is almost exactly like the one we'd last fought on, switch-triggered bridges and all. The only differences are 1) it's nighttime, and 2) there are fewer enemies. It's a literal walk in the park.

A burst of Wind...

A few, Kanna-enabled switch-hitting errands up to the north...

----

----

----

----

And an incredible amount of violence later...

... the last Wakiji falls. We're in.

[Ayame]

Ogami-kun! Please hurry up and reach Maria's position!!

[Ogami]

Yessir, understood! We'll have Maria out of there soon!!

----

----

[Sakura]

Ogami-san! There's a locket on the ground!

[Sakura]

... this is MARIA'S locket!!

----
[Ogami]

NO, REALLY!?

[Sakura]

YES! I KNOW! ISN'T IT AMAZING!? A-- OGAMI-SAN!!

[Ogami]

What? What?

[Sakura]

THERE'S WATER! IT'S NEXT TO THE DOCKS!!

[Ogami]

Um.

[Sakura]

AND THE SKY! IT'S BLACK!!

[Ogami]

(Good god, I'm surrounded by asshats.)

----

[Ogami]

Maria...

[Setsuna]

Fuhahahahaha....!!

[Ogami]

!?

----
[Ogami]

... seriously, don't you have anything BETTER to do than stand around and laugh at people?

[Setsuna]

Look, this is part of my JOB, and I really need the money.

[Ogami]

And maybe a manicure?

[Setsuna]

What do you think I'm saving up FOR?

----

[Setsuna]

Until then, that woman's life is in my hands!!

----

----
[Ogami]

You just now figured this out?

[Kanna]

Well, y'know. Up 'til now, all those Wakiji really DID was kick around a few barrels, a few houses, some food stalls, and maybe one or two KIDS, but...

[Ogami]

... and the whole 'destruction of humanity' thing?

[Kanna]

I thought it was some kinda joke or something! I mean, the Hive of Darkness couldn't find its way out of a paper bag if you gave them a flashlight and a Swiss Army knife!

[Ogami]

True, Kanna. You'd at least need to give them a map, too.

[Setsuna]

I hate you guys so much.

----

[Sumire]

Ensign! Look at that!

----

----
[Kanna]

Or they could just be saying "ha ha, we have a nifty boat and you don't."

[Sumire]

... well, yes, it IS true that not very many boats are capable of running on their OWN, but that's really not the point here.

----

[Sakura]

Ogami-san! This is a trap.

----
[Ogami]

Won't you just knock it off already!?

[Sakura]

I, uh, I just thought that you'd want to know tha--

[Ogami]

Look, I've lived through Kanna kicking me in the face, Kohran kicking me in the gonads, and I've even changed my own clothes without a hitch. I can figure out that this situation is kind of a tra--

[Ogami]

-- aaaAAAAAGH!!

[Sakura]

... I was TRYING to tell you, Ogami-san-- this locket is booby-trapped.

[Ogami]

PERHAPS YOU SHOULD'VE TOLD ME THAT BEFORE I PICKED IT UP AND TUCKED IT INTO MY PANTS POCKET.

----

----

----
[Ogami]

It's not like we have a choice in the matter if we want Maria to come out alive. Seriously, what ELSE can we do? Call in an airstrike and level Tsukuji to the ground?

[Ayame]

Now THERE'S a good idea if I've ever heard one. Shogeimaru, main cannon standing by.

[Ogami]

----

[Ogami]

If I can't even protect my own troops, then what kind of a captain am I!

----
[Ayame]

A really lovely one?

[Ogami]

Tha, that was a rhetorical question, m'm.

[Ayame]

That's what you'll be if you don't let me press this big shiny 'FIRE' button.

[Ogami]

I'll also be a grease stain on the pavement, ma'am.

----

[Sakura]

Ogami-san...

[Ogami]

Listen up... if it's only Maria who manages to make it back...
Then reorganize the Flower Division with her as captain!

[Ogami]

I will definitely rescue Maria! ... I'm leaving the rest to you!

----

----
[Ogami]

OHSHI-

[Sakura]

[Kanna]

Guess the boat ain't so nifty after all. The drat thing sank like a rock.

[Kohran]

Don't jes' stand there, we gotta save the Koubu that guy who was incidentally piloting my baby Ogami-han!!

----

[Kohran]

Ogami-haaaaaaan!

[Setsuna]

Heheheheh.... so you've arrived, Ogami. How courageous!

[Maria]

Ensign!

[Ogami]

Maria! Are you alright!?

----
[Maria]

No, and you're a dick for asking.

[Ogami]

... Maria. What the hell, man.

[Maria]

Er, sorry. Knee-jerk reaction.

----

[Setsuna]

It's just as you see...

[Maria]

Ensign! Why did you come!?

----
[Ogami]

[Maria]

E... Ensign?

[Ogami]

Setsuna, you bastard!! What have you DONE to her!?

[Setsuna]

Er... nothing? I mean, I strung her up on this cross, and maybe the imagery's a bit too subtle, but--

[Ogami]

You've turned her into a maiden in distress!! What the gently caress have you done?!

[Setsuna]

Wait, calm down, she was very cooperative! I didn't have to do a THING to her!

[Maria]

He's actually been pretty accommodating, Ensign. He didn't even damage my Koubu.

[Ogami]

... isn't that just a really, really loving stupid idea? I mean, he could've shoved it off the docks or someth-

[Maria]

Shut UP, you fool, he hasn't caught on yet.

----

[Ogami]

I'm the captain of the Flower Division. It's only natural that I'll come and rescue my troops!

[Maria]

This is a trap!! Run!

----
[Ogami]

Good GOD, haven't ANY of you guys thought that I'd at least be capable of figuring out THIS much for myself!?

[Maria]

Well, you WERE pretty dense about the whole "secret brigade" thing a while back--

[Ogami]

That doesn't count, you guys were scaring me out of my wits.

[Maria]

... and we DON'T still scare you?

[Ogami]

I've built up a whole lot of emotional scarring since then!

[Maria]

That's... really not something to be proud of, Ensign.

----

[Ogami]

... yes, this might be a trap. Yes, I might be making an error in judgment.
But to just give up on you and leave you here... I just can't do it!!

[Maria]

For the sake of someone like me... you really...

----
[Maria]

... are a loving idiot, Ensign.

[Ogami]

Look, do you REALLY need to mess up all of my dramatic moments like this?

[Maria]

I'm strung up like a Christmas decoration with a maiden-in-distress expression and boobs. It's not like I have anything better to do.

----

----

(No, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any better battle cries.)

----
[Maria]

You got out of your loving robot!?

[Ogami]

How the hell would I have fit it into this room!? Besides, YOU--

[Maria]

I was forced out of my Koubu at sword-point!!

[Ogami]

... well, okay, fine, can't we just chalk it up to the dramatics of the moment or something?

[Maria]

Fine, fine...

----

[Setsuna]

Stand up! Ogami!! It's no fun if you died this easily...

[Maria]

Ensign!

----

----
[Setsuna]

Hahaha! I am, in fact, so confident of the foolproofness of my plan that I'm just going to keep hitting the same place over and over again.

[Ogami]

... y'know, it's times like this that I really start to wonder how demonkind's survived for so drat long.

----

[Ogami]

U... urgh.... M, Maria...

[Setsuna]

Pff, hahaha...!! What's wrong... captain of the Imperial Assault Force! How spineless!

----

----

----

----
[Ogami]

Wait, that's-- ... oh, you've got to be loving kidding me AYAAAAMEEEEE--

----

[Setsuna]

Wh, what's going on!?

----
[Ogami]

Ayame and her wonderful technicolor death blimp, that's what. Could you scrape my kidneys off of that wall over there?

----

[???]

Hold it right there!

[Ogami]

Sakura-kun!

[Maria]

Everyone!?

[Setsuna]

H, how did you get here...!?

[Kohran]

There's a transmitter device attached to each member's uniform for times like these!

----
[Ogami]

Wait. Wait. So... you KNEW about these things?

[Kohran]

Yup!

[Ogami]

... and you waited until AFTER we spent this amount of time tracking down Maria, AFTER we've spent over half an hour fighting off Wakiji, and AFTER I've been gibbed in the shoulder?

[Kohran]

Well, it doesn't sound as cool when you put it THAT way.

[Ogami]

... AND you know where anyone is at any point in time.

[Kohran]

Oh, yes.

[Ogami]

Good lord in heaven.

----

[Setsuna]

Ch'!! It doesn't matter how many of you there are, it'll all end in the same way!

----
[Kanna]

With your messy death?

[Setsuna]

... can I rephrase that?

[Kanna]

Ahahahaha-- no.

----

[Kanna]

Well, well, you're sure acting tough, huh? Now then...

[Kanna]

I'm payin' you back in full... for all the hurt you've caused Maria!

[Sumire]

Captain! Leave this part to us!

[Kohran]

Maria's Koubu can still be used, so hurry up and join th' rest of us.

[Sakura]

Now, quickly!!

[Ogami]

Yup, we're idiots... but... isn't that what comrades are for?

----
[Maria]

... to be idiots?

[Ogami]

No, to be idiots... together!!

[Maria]

... I must say, you're not being very convincing, Ensign.

----

[Ogami]

We will never leave you to be alone! Now, it's our turn!!

NEXT TIME: The Last Fight of the Chapter, With...

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 23, 2012

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, the entire top brass knows that Ogami's been gallivanting around the theater and peeking into washrooms and such, and they're perfectly fine with this?

God bless Japan.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

... AND you know where anyone is at any point in time.

[Kohran]

Oh, yes.

[Ogami]

Good lord in heaven.
:neckbeard:

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!
Good Lord...they've known Maria's whereabouts since the beginning...but they decided to slaughter the Wakiji back at the docks anyway. Good show...

Spirit Armor posted:

(No, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any better battlecries.)

My nails are FABULOOOOUUUS!!! :gay:

Also is it just me or is Kohran's fight animation kinda creepy compared to everyone else's? The other pilot's are striking various action-y poses and Kohran's there going "I seeeeeeeee yooooooouu!!!" :cry: It makes me dread what Iris' animation is going to be.

Can we just say that she never gets to fight? Pretty please?

This update was stellar, I hope all the individual character crises are at least half as crazy as this. LOL Maria on a crucifix. :wtc:

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

Dash Magnum posted:

Also is it just me or is Kohran's fight animation kinda creepy compared to everyone else's? The other pilot's are striking various action-y poses and Kohran's there going "I seeeeeeeee yooooooouu!!!" :cry: It makes me dread what Iris' animation is going to be.

If they haven't changed it from the original version, Iris' special attack is just a healing thing. Her regular attack, though. Thats... something.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.
I suppose that the Captain of the Imperial Assault Force... Flower Division... wasn't assigned a duty sidearm for fear that he would end his own life, or that of his subordinates in a disturbing backlash against his operative conditioning. It's eerie how far into this poor bastard's inevitable mental breakdown the originators of this experiment foresaw.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

John Pastor posted:

I suppose that the Captain of the Imperial Assault Force... Flower Division... wasn't assigned a duty sidearm for fear that he would end his own life, or that of his subordinates in a disturbing backlash against his operative conditioning. It's eerie how far into this poor bastard's inevitable mental breakdown the originators of this experiment foresaw.

I wonder how many previous captains they lost that way.

I mean, if they took the precaution, it must have happened before. :)

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

I probably won't be able to get an update out tonight, as I'm going to be pretty busy this evening (and most of the day was spent shoveling snow, so I couldn't get anything done THEN).

Glazius posted:

So, the entire top brass knows that Ogami's been gallivanting around the theater and peeking into washrooms and such, and they're perfectly fine with this?

God bless Japan.

That is, indeed, quite possibly true. It's not like the military's been playing with a full hand of cards, anyways ("Hey, do you guys know what'd be a great idea? A GIANT loving BLIMP! And we can put its launch pad under the suburbs for maximum efficiency and minimum hassle!").

CannonFodder posted:

Dash Magnum posted:

Good Lord...they've known Maria's whereabouts since the beginning...but they decided to slaughter the Wakiji back at the docks anyway. Good show...

Of course! Because it's totally acceptable to go out of your way to slaughter Wakiji en masse, even though the worst they've done is kick a bunch of barrels/food stands over. ESPECIALLY if time is of the essence because, say, a teammate's life is on the line.

It really makes you wonder where the Flower Division's priorities lie.

Dash Magnum posted:

Hahahahaha, oh believe me, I wish.

TheGreenAvenger posted:

If they haven't changed it from the original version, Iris' special attack is just a healing thing. Her regular attack, though. Thats... something.

Well, if you think about it, BOTH are equally disturbing in their own rights.

And I have my own interpretation of how both attacks actually function.

John Pastor posted:

Probably just the former. Given all that the other members in the Flower Division are capable of OUTSIDE of their Koubu, I can't see Ogami actually being able to take anyone down with a measly firearm. :gonk:

Wyvernil posted:

I wonder how many previous captains they lost that way.

I mean, if they took the precaution, it must have happened before. :)

I don't think the game ever expressly mentions this, but Maria was the de facto captain of the brigade prior to Ogami.

... which would make the possible circumstances behind the duty sidearm prohibition that much more frightening, if you think about it. Who's to say that the military hasn't been covering up some kind of psycho-Maria rampage beforehand?

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Great thread, I've been intrested in Sakura Taisen for a while, but the whole other language this was a big turn off for such a text heavy game. So thank you so much for doing this.

Also I vote for Maria, how can you say no to a sexy Russian Sniper.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
Here's about then progress of the Sakura Wars level for Goontower. Not much to see yet but the general idea is there.

drat you laziness!!!

And... final battle next! Let's go break some impossibly long nails!

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006
a front row seat to the gun show
Thank you x1,000,000 for doing this. Sakura Taisen is one of my favorite series, but ironically enough, I know the least about the actual games.

Also, I vote for Kanna. I vote for Kanna five times.

In response to a much earlier question about whether or not the set ever came crashing down in one of the live shows, the answer is yes, sort of.

During a rehearsal, Sakura bumps into Sumire, who overreacts and knocks over a huge pillar and pretends to have twisted her ankle. :jerkbag: Kanna strides over and sets the (supposedly very heavy) pillar upright again. This is hilarious because in real life, the woman who plays her is all of 4'10". (Although, to watch her on stage, sometimes you wouldn't realize it.)

Later on, Kanna offers to help Sumire up to her room:

Kanna: Just throw your arm around my neck and lean on me.
Sumire: ...is this really all right?
Kanna: Sure! After all, I'm two meters tall! :D

Sumire practically has to duck-walk off the stage in order to "lean" on Kanna. The live shows are full of jokes about the discrepancies between the heights of the characters and the heights of the actors. Not only is "Kanna" the shortest cast member, but "Iris" is one of—if not the—tallest, which is demonstrated to great effect in this clip.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I would like to register immense entertainment and a vote for Sumire.

And a further note that I really wish I knew what Iris's actual job was, seeing as she...doesn't pilot anything, doesn't appear onstage much and appears to exist only to torment all she touches.

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007

Spirit Armor posted:

-------
[Setsuna]

H, how did you get here...!?

[Kohran]

There's a transmitter device attached to each member's uniform for times like these!

----

Attached to the uniform? Yeah, sure. More lodged deep up Ogami's, ah, nooks and crannies.

:dance:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Mors Rattus posted:

I would like to register immense entertainment and a vote for Sumire.

And a further note that I really wish I knew what Iris's actual job was, seeing as she...doesn't pilot anything, doesn't appear onstage much and appears to exist only to torment all she touches.

Iris is an actress just like the rest of them. She gets lead roles in some of their other plays, just not in Ai Yueni. As for her job as part of the Assault Troupe, well, wait 'till the next chapter.

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

Morgenthau posted:

So... You drew Iris first. Either that or Iris is creating the world with her demonic powers.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Dominic Hokage posted:

So... You drew Iris first. Either that or Iris is creating the world with her demonic powers.

How I wish it was...

I CAN"T STOP MY HANDS THEY ARE MOVING ON THEIR OWN

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006

Morgenthau posted:

How I wish it was...

I CAN"T STOP MY HANDS THEY ARE MOVING ON THEIR OWN

...TOWARDS THE BATH HOUSE

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Schadenfraulein posted:

...TOWARDS THE BATH HOUSE

Well, that means he's possessed by Ogami which is far less harmful.

Of course that also means Iris is #1 in Ogami's book which may not be directly harmful but really hurts us all anyway.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I just finished page 1, and I'm laughing so hard I'm no sure I'll be able to do more than a page a day. In all seriousness my lungs hurt right now.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Argh. Sorry for the delay- end-of-the-chapter boss fight updates tend to take a bit longer.

I'll do my best to get a larger update out by tonight. If I can't manage that, I'll try to get it out tomorrow night, though by then, I'll be out of town and staying with relatives.

Updates should be able to continue, albeit sporadically.

EDIT: Hahaha oh wow, I've got over a hundred pictures (and growing) for the next update. Going to have to chunk the boss battle + epilogue into two updates.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 19, 2007

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Cooked Auto posted:

Wow. What's that picture from? It looks wonderful.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

If I remember right it's from the Iron Grip HL2 mod. Or that's what I've heard since I found on an imageboard.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Just so my browser doesn't explode with the next few updates, I'm shooting for a new page.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I'm going to aim for the next page too, dear lord.

Lately I've been tempted to change my vote to Koran, but... vast tracts of land. My vote remains Sumire.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
Why not, we're only five posts away.

Plus I'd like to know when Iris is going to actually pull her own drat weight around here. Using her horrible mind shattering powers for a free meal ticket is all well and good, but...

poo poo, my mind just blanked. She got to me tooIRISISGODIRISISGODIRISISGOD

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Hurray, I've caught up with the end of the thread. I have some of the OVAs for this on tape somewhere in the storage room, I remember Iris' mech being rather hilarious.

I'm a big Kanna fan, but I think I'll vote Sumire because I want to see if it's even possible for her to be a nice person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006

ManSedan posted:

Lately I've been tempted to change my vote to Koran, but... vast tracts of land. My vote remains Sumire.

Kanna's land tracts are vaster. :colbert:

...unless you weren't making the usual joke and meant the actual real estate owned by the Kanzaki family.

In which case, um...Kanna has a dojo in Okinawa. :colbert:

Notgothic posted:

I'm a big Kanna fan, but I think I'll vote Sumire because I want to see if it's even possible for her to be a nice person.

It isn't.

• Locked thread