Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

CannonFodder posted:

Oh come on. If Kanna was there, she'd just go "Ahh, the source of the spirit energy is behind this wall!

*smashes through wall*

OH YEAH!!!"

and there's no puzzle solving skill in that. And no hiding under kimonos, just Kanna laughing at how wimpy Ogami is before throwing him through the other wall.

Thats EXACTLY why it's good, Though I suppose just about anyone besides Sumire can just go straight through the wall anyway.

Kohran:*Raises giant steam powered bazooka*
Iris: nuff said
Sakura:*Cuts straight through the mansion*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.

veekie posted:

Kohran:*Raises giant steam powered bazooka*
You mean:
Kohran:*Summons massive steam powered giant robot to destroy the entire mansion with Ogami inside of it.* "See Ogami-han, no Mansion, no problem." :science:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
You have a point there, but I was mostly considering what kind of weapon she managed to fit in Ogami during her 'explorations' of his human body.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008

veekie posted:

You have a point there, but I was mostly considering what kind of weapon she managed to fit in Ogami during her 'explorations' of his human body.

Thanks to you I now have a mental image of Kohran pulling a Steam Bazooka out of Ogami's rear end...

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

DragonFlux posted:

Thanks to you I now have a mental image of Kohran pulling a Steam Bazooka out of Ogami's rear end...

Glad to be of service.
We've still yet to define what Iris would do about the puzzle though.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Wouldn't she just end the universe and take Ogami to one in which the puzzle came pre-solved?

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!

Raitzeno posted:

Wouldn't she just end the universe and take Ogami to one in which the puzzle came pre-solved?

But then she'd have to find another universe toybox to play in. She may be a young elder god, but she'd at least make a copy or somehting before she trashed this one...you know so that she could do it again, and again, and again, and again, and...

In other news, everyone should go get volume 7 of the Sakura Taisen manga, because:

Because yes, you do get to see brief stories of both lil' Sumire and lil' Kanna in this installment. Also contained within it's pages is Kohran crushing Iris' dreams for a prettier Koubu, a lesson in how meteorology affects ballistics, and perhaps the ugliest demon mech they have faced yet (Spirit Armor will show us soon enough, I'm sure, but...godDAMN that thing's funky-looking!)

Anyway, fabulous update Spirit Armor...hooray for bizarre puzzles in haunted mansions!

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

Spirit Armor posted:

The love scenes would be filled with enough passion to shatter a brick building, the dialogue romantic enough to kill an elephant in under two seconds, and the protagonists muscle-bound enough to fill five issues of Weightlifting Monthly.

It'll be like Cho Aniki for the romantically inclined.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Dash Magnum posted:

...Sakura Taisen manga...

Where can this thing be found?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
At your local manga sellers! For instance, I can find these things at Borders Bookstore in my area. Should be under "S" at the manga shelves.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 12, 2008

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
*Mutters about local bookstores being total letdowns*

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
There's always online merchants.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Mmm, yummy.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.
So, I've got two obstacles between me and the next update right now:

1) There are going to be seventy pictures for the next update. This is about twice as much as the usual update, and is fairly close to "too drat much," so I might have to split it into two updates.

2) Eight hour+ road trip tomorrow. We're leaving at 5 pm.

... sorry, guys, the update will be a bit late. I'm hoping for Thursday.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Last time on the point-and-click adventures of Sakura Wars, we'd solved the great big "if you reflect 8 o' clock in the mirror, it becomes 4 o' clock!" puzzle and got a Small Key. This, in turn, can theoretically be used to unlock the door to the hidden room located between the Clocks Room and the Mirror Room, which is where the big spiritual thingamabum is located.

You guys get all that? Good. There IS one catch: why the gently caress are we playing a point-and-click adventure game? This is a dating sim strategy RPG one key solves everything? It can't possibly be that easy. So instead of going to the Mirror Room, which indisputably contains the door to the hidden room...

We're tagging the third room first, because I feel like I've missed something.

[Ogami]

Let's try going to the living room. There might be some sort of clue there.

Put another way, "it's always the quiet, normal-looking ones who turn out to be psychotic."

----
[Ogami]

Story of my life.

----

[Sumire]

Might there be a trick here too, I wonder...?

----
[Ogami]

What're you talking about? Look, there's a chandelier, a fireplace, a table, a bunch of small things on the shelf, and ragged curtains over there-- and we're sitting smack-dab in the middle of an abandoned, possibly-haunted mansion.

[Sumire]

Your point, Ensign...?

[Ogami]

The entire drat room is positively screaming for a mysterious hidden mechanism of some sort to justify its very existence. If the architect's already gone to the trouble of implementing a mirrored clock puzzle, they wouldn't let this opportunity go.

[Ogami]

... it'd be like asking Iron Chef Italy to fill an order of pasta by cracking open a can of Chef Boyardee's.

[Sumire]

... I think I get your point, Ensign.

----

[Ogami]

True... any case, let's start poking around.

A quick glance at the door tells us...

[Ogami]

A door to the next room, huh...

[Sumire]

... it does not look like there is any trick to that door. Let us search someplace else.

... absolutely nothing.

And the table...

[Ogami]

It's just a normal table, huh... it doesn't seem like there's anything strange about it at all.

[Sumire]

... it seems so. It would have been nice if there had been something, but...

... is a total waste of time.

The fireplace looks promising, but--

[Ogami]

... there's nothing. It seems that there isn't even any evidence that any flames have been lit.

[Sumire]

That's true. I also thought that the fireplace might have been suspicious, but...

----
[Sumire]

No incriminating scraps of paperwork, no bones, and no bodies. Nothing that someone of this income bracket would normally burn.

[Ogami]

... what DO you uber-rich folks use to fuel your fireplaces?

[Sumire]

Paper money, orphaned babies, and the hopes and dreams of all the people that my family has crushed under its heel.

[Ogami]

Sumire-kun...

[Sumire]

Ha ha ha! Just kidding. We just burn money.

----

No dice. However, there IS something just above the fireplace.

[Ogami]

Hm...? There's some kind of box here?

[Ogami]

Hmm... it's covered in dust, but... it's pretty.

The game prompts the player to click on the box a second time.

Which, in turn, means that the player has to prod Ogami's brain a little more to make it realize that 1) any key item with its own CG is a drat important key item, and 2) actually OPENING the box might help. :downs:

This really should have been a one-step process.

[Ogami]

A jewelry box, huh...

One of those infuriatingly famous-and-thus-completely-forgettable classical pieces starts to play, albeit at a very reduced volume.

But hey, at least the box didn't start spewing pea soup or something.

[Ogami]

Maybe... it's also a music box?

[Sumire]

However... there is something strange about it...

[Ogami]

Hmm...

None of these choices really seem to hit the--

Lotto.

The term "Bingo" hadn't actually been invented yet.

[Ogami]

This music box is... strange. It's playing music, even though... there's nothing inside.

[Sumire]

When you put it like that, it is quite true... Ensign, you have noticed this at the perfect time.

[Ogami]

Then... since there's nothing else here, this might have a trick to it.

----
[Sumire]

This box has been here for years, so it could be exceedingly fragile. We must be careful if we wish to solve this puzzle... Ensign, where do you think we should start--

[Ogami]

COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF FORCEFULLY-APPLIED VIOLENCE!

[Sumire]

E-Ensign, wait, don't--

----

CRUNCH.

[Sumire]

This is... the music box's cylinder!

[Sumire]

A mirror trick, is it... it was used in a fairly elaborate manner.
This music box's cylinder... it may be that it can be combined with the clocks' key, so...
See? There is something that looks like a keyhole on this end of the cylinder.

[Ogami]

Right... I'll give it a try. Let's see...

----
[Sumire]

E-Ensign, you just jammed the key up the cylinder's rear end.

[Ogami]

But it fit perfectly! See, there was a click.

[Sumire]

Something cracked, Ensign, I do not think that--

[Ogami]

Woohoo, we solved the puzzle! Let's bust this joint.

[Sumire]

But--

[Ogami]

Captain's orders, Sumire-kun, it's Miller time. Screw this point-and-click adventure, let's just go.

----

[Sumire]

Next... we have to actually find this door, don't we.
There is only one room left... the hidden chamber's door must be in the mirror room!!

[Ogami]

That's right. Okay... let's go have a look-see.

You'd THINK that putting a hormone-laden young man and a nubile young teenager woman in an abandoned mansion would be a PERFECT opportunity for a series of romantic or nigh-romantic escapades.

[Ogami]

Yeah... anyways, let's look around inside the room.

Since this is Sakura Wars, all we get is people getting really!! excited!! about solving a bunch of puzzles and following clues.

----
[Ogami]

S--

[Sumire]

NO, Ensign, you will NOT start cracking a slew of crass, bed-related jokes about the sexual conquests that two young people of opposite genders can embark upon.

[Ogami]

... jesus, Sumire-kun, I only wanted to comment on the dust.

[Sumire]

Uh.

[Sumire]

O-of course you were! Oh hoh, oh hoh hoh hoh!

----

[Ogami]

A bed, huh... it's really dusty.

[Sumire]

Perhaps there is a hidden passageway under this bed...

[Ogami]

Who knows... let's try moving it.

[Ogami]

Gh... it's... it's heavy!

[Sumire]

... it does not seem that they could have made a passageway under this bed.
The hidden room has to be on the other side of this room, anyway.

... I WOULD take this opportunity to ask why Sumire didn't actually bother to point this out in the first place, but for the fact that it's pretty obvious that she seems to enjoy watching Ogami sweat (and occasionally cry in anguish when he thinks that no one's looking).

[Ogami]

I see... that's certainly true.

[Ogami]

... Sumire-kun. This picture looks pretty valuable. Is it alright to just leave it here like this?

[Sumire]

... while it is true that this is a good picture, it does not have any particular value.
It is probably something that the owner of this mansion drew out of a hobby.

[Ogami]

I see... I think that it's still a pretty good drawing.

The Imperial Assault Force, Flower Division: Commenting On Your Interior Decor Since 1923.

[Ogami]

... what's this?

[Sumire]

It's... a hole. Has anything been placed into it, I wonder?

[Ogami]

Hmmm... I wonder what this hole was meant for.

If this story starts going Amigara Fault on me, I swear to god that I'm unplugging this PS2. :cry:

[Sumire]

Ensign! It was undoubtedly meant for this key!!
If we insert the key into this hole in the mirror...

[Sumire]

See, just as I expected! It has opened up!!

[Ogami]

Right! Let's try going inside!!

----
[Ogami]

Never mind the fact that we're plunging straight into unknown and possibly hostile territory, where this unknown and possibly hostile spiritual energy lies waiting for us! I'm SURE it'll be completely and utterly safe!!

----

[Sumire]

Yes, let me see... I can certainly... sense a sad spiritual energy here.

[Ogami]

Huh... I wonder if there's anything here. But there are really a lot of books, huh...

[Sumire]

It appears to be a study of some sort. It must belong to the owner of the... hm? What is this?

[Ogami]

A picture of the family that lived here, huh...

[Sumire]

They were probably a very close family, I suppose... they look very happy...

Probably because they were rich enough to hire a photographer that WOULDN'T force them to stay locked in the same position for five hours while he twiddled with the lightning or the camera lens.

[Sumire]

Eh?

If you can have demons, spiritually strong beings, and steam-powered mecha all in the same setting, then a ghost or two can't possibly be that far-fetched. :colbert:

[Sumire]

Y, you are...

[Sumire]

I see... you have been waiting all this time, all by yourself...

[Ogami]

Sumire-kun...

This is one of those moments--

-- where it's best to keep your drat fool mouth shut and let the situation take its course.

[Ogami]

[Sumire]

Her spiritual energy is becoming weaker... Ensign... please continue to remain quiet.

[Ogami]

Aah, I understand. I'm leaving this to you, Sumire-kun.

[Sumire]

You wanted to protect this house until everyone came back... yes... I see.

[Sumire]

It's alright... we shall protect this house for you...
So... you can go to where your father and everyone else are waiting.
... if you would be fine with me, I can come and play with you anytime. So... do not be lonely, okay?

[Ogami]

She left...

----
[Ogami]

I guess the thought of having YOU as an eternal playmate was enough to scare her off into the afterlife, huh.

[Sumire]

... that is NOT what happened, Ensign.

[Ogami]

I'll be YOUR playmate any ti--

[Sumire]

This is NOT a good time, Ensign!!

----

[Sumire]

Without realizing that she herself had passed away... she has been waiting for her parents this entire time...

[Ogami]

So that's how it was... it's somewhat of a sad story, huh...

----
[Ogami]

If they're anything like MY family, they'll probably be saying "what the hell took you so long, kid? Now sit your rear end down or I'll tear your ears off."

[Sumire]

... you certainly know how to ruin an atmosphere, Ensign.

----

[Sumire]

Together as a family, with no one who will intrude... I believe that they will be living together happily.

[Ogami]

I see... she's surely happy right now.

----

[Sumire]

"However, this child... will not be bound by something like fate... I want to raise her as a normal child.
"And for that purpose... by my soul, I, as the head of our family, will form a spiritual barrier around this mansion.
"... as long as I, in sacrificing my life, can allow this child to grasp a normal happiness..."

[Ogami]

... so that's how it was.

[Ogami]

Sumire-kun...

[Ogami]

That's how much they loved her. Please try to understand... that and that alone.

[Sumire]

I understand... that is why I am calling them fools...

[Ogami]

Sumire-kun...

[Sumire]

Let us pick up that simple fool, Kanna-san, and return to the Grand Imperial Theater.

[Ogami]

Aah, I understand. Then... shall we be off?

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 27, 2012

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

And off they go, trampling over some poor little girl's grave in their haste to skedaddle back to find Kanna.

----

[Sumire]

This music box... I will return it to that child, so...

[Ogami]

Aah, I understand...

Well, that's that. We've solved the great mystery of the mansion, which, while having absolutely jack poo poo to do with the Hive of Darkness squatting on its doorstep, is at least able to resolve a poor little girl's constant vigil over a long-since abandoned place of residence.

:frogbon:

[Sumire]

Kyaaaaaaa--!!

[Ogami]

Sumire-kun! Did something happen!?

So, after standing up to demonically-controlled mechanical soldiers, the vicious, bloodthirsty generals of the Hive of Darkness, and the nigh-psychotic ire of her teammates...

[Sumire]

E-Ensign! P... please save me!! A spider has... a spider has--!

... it turns out that Sumire Kanzaki, the sole daughter of the wealthy Kanzaki family, is rendered totally helpless by a small, eight-legged household pest. At least it's not the evil ghost uncles of Casper the Friendly Undead Loli.

[Ogami]

Ch'...

The other two answer choices kind of worry me. And besides, Ogami's sense of self-preservation isn't THAT utterly retarded.

[Ogami]

Sumire-kun, are you okay!? I'm going to deal with the spider!

[Sumire]

... hurry! Please hurry up, I beg of you!!

[Ogami]

Sumire-kun! Don't move for a second...

----

[Ogami]

Sumire-kun! Sumire-kun--!!
Argh! Alright, spider, just go somewhere else--!!

[Ogami]

... alright. I've thrown the spider away. Sumire-kun, everything's alright now!

[Sumire]

That was surely a poison spider... I... cannot be saved anymore.

[Ogami]

Sumire-kun!

----
[Ogami]

It's a common household spider! It's about as poisonous as a rat!

[Ogami]

... alright, maybe that was kind of a bad example since the rats around these parts are basically walking disease factories that can poison you just by widdling in your bedding, and they're probably carriers of plague in any--

[Sumire]

Oooh goooooood--

----

Alright... alright, Ogami, you've got one chance at this. What would your bosses do?

----
[Yoneda]

Yer only chance's to take off all your clothes! Here, let's start with mine!

----

A-alright, what would your OTHER boss do?

----
[Ayame]

----

Well, it's better than nothing. :geno: Thus...

This.

[Sumire]

E, Ensign... what are you...

[Ogami]

Hold still. I'm sucking the poison out of the wound, so...

[Sumire]

Ahn....

[Ogami]

Sorry... did it hurt? Please be patient for just a little longer. It'll be over soon...

Nah, it'd be too easy.

[Sumire]

Okay...

[Ogami]

... please hold on for just a bit longer. There... it doesn't hurt anymore, right?

[Sumire]

Ensign...

[Ogami]

What's up?

[Sumire]

That you would go this far for me, Ensign... I do not know what I should say...
It is embarrassing, but it was very calming... thank you very much, Ensign.

I'm not sure how slobbering all over your hand counts as "calming," but I'll let it slide this time.

[Ogami]

Yup, that's great. It looks like you've gotten better.
... okay, it should be alright now. The hysteria poison won't circulate, and I've mostly tied up your arm.

[Sumire]

Ensign... really, thank you so very much...

----
[Ogami]

More to the point, why are you blushing? Nothing good comes of you guys blushing.

[Sumire]

But--

[Ogami]

NOTHING.

----

[Ogami]

... sorry. I've asked something strange, haven't I.

[Ogami]

Aah... I got it. I promise.

----
[Ogami]

So about... three years ago?

[Sumire]

ENSIGN!

[Ogami]

Alright, fine, I'll shut up.

----

[Sumire]

My father is the president of Kanzaki Heavy Industries. My mother is a movie star.
Both of them were so busy that they could not even be at home for their daughter's birthday.

[Sumire]

I did not want something like expensive presents... if only my father and my mother could be with me...
I was so sad, and so lonely... without thinking, I ran out into the gardens.

[Sumire]

Then, I carelessly got tangled into a spider's nest...
It was disgusting... however, no matter how much I cried... no one came for me.

[Sumire]

For me... the nastiness of spiders is intertwined with those feelings of anxiety and loneliness...
Whenever I see a spider, I just cannot think straight, no matter what...

[Ogami]

So that's how it was...

----
[Ogami]

So that one brush with spiders amplified your feelings of isolation and--

[Sumire]

Of course, it might have gone better had the spider not eaten Fido.

[Ogami]

[Sumire]

What?

[Ogami]

You're telling me that a spider tore apart your puppy right in front of your eyes... and you're looking for psychological causes of your phobia.

[Sumire]

Well, yes, but--

[Ogami]

Girl, you've got enough potential trauma bottled up there to feed TEN phobias, let alone one.

----

----

Hot-blooded shounen retard romantic time! :swoon:

[Ogami]

It's true... at that time, you were probably alone. But I'm here with you now, aren't I?

[Ogami]

The next time a spider jumps out, I will definitely protect you. So... you don't need to worry anymore.

[Ogami]

... Sumire-kun. Chin up. Now, you're not alone.

[Sumire]

Yes...

I KNOW that this is supposed to be romantic, but all I keep thinking is "gee, Sumire's just gotten herself a pest extermination service that'll be free for life."

... just as planned.

[Ogami]

Alright, Sumire-kun. Grab on to my shoulder...

----

[Ogami]

Sumire-kun!? What's wrong, does your wound still hurt?

[Sumire]

Yes... I am still a bit dizzy...

[Ogami]

(It couldn't be... the spider's poison...?)

I think we've established that the spider doesn't actually HAVE any poison. Also, the wound itself is about the size of a pin's head.

... no, I don't know either.

[Sumire]

Um... Ensign... I have a request... or rather, a favor to ask of you...

[Ogami]

... what is it?

[Sumire]

Should my strength ever come to an end... I wish to leave Kanna-san in your hands...
She is a childish person, so... she must have a reliable person to stay by her side...
Ensign... please. Because I... may already be at my end...

Where do I even begin? :froggonk:

[Ogami]

Don't say such weak-spirited things! What do you think would happen if you gave up, Sumire-kun!?

[Ogami]

If she heard something like that, Kanna would get really angry!

[Ogami]

Besides, Kanna isn't that weak. Sumire-kun... you know that the best, don't you?

(I love that the thought of an angry Kanna is enough to get Ogami and Sumire all resolute and pumped-up.)

[Sumire]

Ensign... I hope that you will stay by my side forever...

[Ogami]

Aah, of course. I will stay with all of you forever.

Italicized for emphasis. Ogami is nothing if not a smooth operator, gifted with a silver tongue that can simultaneously enable him to avoid conversational land mines AND land him in enough potential trouble to make him a dead man walking.

[Ogami]

Right... let's go. I'm worried about Kanna, too.

----

[Ogami]

Yeah... she should definitely have gone through the door on the left...

[Sumire]

In any case, let us go in the direction that Kanna-san has gone.

----
[Sumire]

You WERE worried about Kanna-san, were you not, Ensign?

[Ogami]

Yeah... I was kind of exaggerating.

[Ogami]

I mean, aside from the fact that she's strong enough to kill an elephant in one punch, it's not like Kanna'd do anything reckless enough to jeopardize the whole stealth aspect of our mission or something. I'm sure she's just fi--

----

----
[Ogami]

-----

[Sumire]

Th... these are...!? Wakiji!!

----
[Ogami]

KAAAAAAANNNNNNAAAAAA!!!

----

NEXT TIME: Meanwhile!

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 27, 2012

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Oh that Kanna. Always punching demonic robots to death while you aren't looking.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

KAAAAAAANNNNNNAAAAAA!!!

[Kanna]

OGAAAAAAAMIIIIII!!!

[Ogami]

KAAAAAAANNNNNNAAAAAA!!!

[Kanna]

OGAAAAAAAMIIIIII!!!

Terashell
Dec 19, 2007

Gaben-chan~
AKIIIIRAAAAA

poo poo, I killed it, didn't I?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It doesn't break stealth if none of them survive to hit the alarm! :eng101:

That said, this is probably going to lead to an Ultimate Teamup Attack with Sumire later in the obligatory giant mech throwdown, right?

Also, is Sumire just jealous of Kanna's resolve, I wonder?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
So while Ogami was messing around with puzzles, loli ghosts and spiders, Kanna was beating the crap out of evil steam mecha bare handed? Sounds just like her.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

veekie posted:

So while Ogami was messing around with puzzles, loli ghosts and spiders, Kanna was beating the crap out of evil steam mecha bare handed? Sounds just like her.

Just out of curiosity, if we had taken Kanna's route instead, would it have been the same puzzle-oriented sequence, or would it have been more action-based like the horde of busted-up demon robots implies?

It'd be cool if choosing different characters leads to different approaches to the same storyline. :)

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Wyvernil posted:

Just out of curiosity, if we had taken Kanna's route instead, would it have been the same puzzle-oriented sequence, or would it have been more action-based like the horde of busted-up demon robots implies?

It'd be cool if choosing different characters leads to different approaches to the same storyline. :)

I'd like to point out that if Kanna's route involved a minigame of demon robot face punching, we chose the wrong path.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GruntyThrst posted:

I'd like to point out that if Kanna's route involved a minigame of demon robot face punching, we chose the wrong path.

To be honest, I was hoping for demon robot face punching and random property damage. It's nice and all to see the game pretend to be made by Sierra and get touching moments with Sumire, but we've done all that back at the theater.

We may never again get the chance to go demon robot face punching.

I hope you're all proud of yourselves.

Kirbyoto
May 2, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump
You realize it probably would've been pretty much the same effect (Kanna does all the punching, Ogami does nothing), right? It worked out better this way.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Kirbyoto posted:

You realize it probably would've been pretty much the same effect (Kanna does all the punching, Ogami does nothing), right? It worked out better this way.

The upside, we get to watch the punching happen, not just check out the aftermath.

Though I wonder what'd happen if Elder godling french loli meets Casper the ghost loli.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
See? If we went with Kanna, then Sumire might have died.

NICE GOING, ASSHOLES.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

Woohoo, we solved the puzzle! Let's bust this joint.

[Sumire]

But--

[Ogami]

Captain's orders, Sumire-kun, it's Miller time. Screw this point-and-click adventure, let's just go.

Hell yeah, Ogami is the man with the plan.

quote:

If you can have demons, spiritually strong beings, and steam-powered mecha all in the same setting, then a ghost or two can't possibly be that far-fetched. :colbert:
Thanks to my extensive knowledge of Japan that I have learned from anime, video games, manga, a few Murakami novels, and a few live-action movies, I can tell you that all of Japan is haunted. ALL OF IT.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Glazius posted:

It doesn't break stealth if none of them survive to hit the alarm! :eng101:
What about when they fail to report back?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
How did Kanna do that without making enough noise for Ogami and Sumire to hear?

Maybe she can punch out sound waves too.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Spirit Armor posted:

Oh gently caress you Japan for making this character underage, or I would be more likely to change my vote.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

Oh gently caress you Japan for making this character underage, or I would be more likely to change my vote.

She's eighteen. IN AMERICA!

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

It was me. I sent the spiders. Feast, my pretties.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

She'll be 18 next year, just in time for Sakura Wars 2!

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
Fucks Yeah Sumire!

To me it's just funnier to go directly from "EEK! SPIDER" to the aftermath of an immense beatdown.

Also, it seems that Sumire is exiting the "Tsun Tsun" phase and heading straight into "Dere Dere". Finally.

Kirbyoto
May 2, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump

Sindai posted:

She taped a silencer to her fists.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Zereth posted:

What about when they fail to report back?

Have you seen how those things fight? I wouldn't be surprised if they regularly got stuck in corners and just kept flailing around trying to get out. Or accidentally punched each other out. They're just topside to scare off the rubes.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Glazius posted:

That said, this is probably going to lead to an Ultimate Teamup Attack with Sumire later in the obligatory giant mech throwdown, right?

Also, is Sumire just jealous of Kanna's resolve, I wonder?

Probably. After all the intense puzzle-solving action that they've experienced together, I can't possibly imagine how their spirits AREN'T intertwined and all that.

Wyvernil posted:

GruntyThrst posted:

Glazius posted:

To be honest, I was hoping for demon robot face punching and random property damage. It's nice and all to see the game pretend to be made by Sierra and get touching moments with Sumire, but we've done all that back at the theater.

We may never again get the chance to go demon robot face punching.

I hope you're all proud of yourselves.

You chose... poorly.

Kirbyoto posted:

... well, actually... :iamafag:

Sindai posted:

It's a big mansion. I'm pretty sure that all that dust was able to muffle the bloodcurdling battle cries and the sound of fists shattering demonically-enhanced metals.

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm pretty sure that most of the cast is underage, so you can't win either way. :pseudo:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Spirit Armor posted:

I'm pretty sure that most of the cast is underage, so you can't win either way. :pseudo:

Whatever, everyone knows 14 in Japan is like 18 in American years.

:pedo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

farraday posted:

Whatever, everyone knows 14 in Japan is like 18 in American years.

:pedo:

They use metric years over there, I hear.

• Locked thread