Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.
Update's definitely coming tomorrow, as I've gotten the layout and the majority of the screenshots down pat.

EDIT: lol, desecrating the sanctity of a new page with filler. FUOOOOOO~

Rollersnake posted:

I like Sumire quite a bit more after this update, but I'm still keeping Maria as my #1 vote. Also, this is turning out to be a much better game than I thought it'd be. Atlus or someone seriously needs to bring these over here, although I guess it's a bit late for that now.

I think someone had been intending to bring the Sakura Wars series over ever since it made its 1996 debut on the Sega Saturn, but they never got around to it due to the industry's whole "oh god quirky 2D Japanese RPGs and anime stylings are the devil".

Atlus is a solid company and all, but I have my misgivings about what they'd do to Sakura Wars in light of how they market their localizations of lesser-known titles, and some of the arbitrary changes they've made between Japanese and English covers.

I'm certainly jaded, but since Sakura Wars is, at its core, a campy dating sim series that's not too well-known in the US, I'd just be filled with dread over the possibility that we might end up with this.

BlondRobin posted:

Also yeah Sumire seems like quite the sweetie here; definately looking promising on her end, given that for all that she's a little quirky she's still yet to strap Ogami to a crucifix and "test" him for "science." (and neither is she blond pedo-bait! Or a crazy jealous stalker!) We'll see, though. I'm not doubting this game's ability to make anyone into a crazy whackjob after that last bit. :tinfoil:

I'm personally convinced that Sumire's ALREADY a crazy bitchy whackjob FAIR ENOUGH

Dominic Hokage posted:

I didn't know they had skimpy bathing suits back in the '30s. :v:

Just chalk it up to another innovation based around the wonder that is steampunk-style steam power.

novaSphere posted:

Wait, were they even in the game? I remember them being in the original Hanagumi but not if they were in the first game. Are you referring to someone else? There's too many good characters in this series :/

We're talking about Kanna.

AND SHE IS MADE OF WIN AND AWESOME. NEVER FORGET

Also, Orihime and R/L/R/L/Reni make their grand debut in Sakura Wars 2.

Verbose posted:

Gonna have to agree with Rollersnake here, Sumire is making a very strong #2 or #1 pinch hitter. She's got a personality, she's loaded, she's attractive, she has money, she's rich.... lotta good qualities there.

True enough. For all that she boasts, Sumire can certainly back up her smack-talking!

Semiru posted:

Oh man, this was the most hilarious update yet. Not moving away from Team Maria just yet, but Sumire is certainly showing a nicer side :)

Hey, I live to suffer Iris for you entertain. :blush:

... one unexpected advantage to making an LP for Sakura Wars is being able to see everyone's tastes AND to gauge how popular opinion sways towards each character.

I'm also looking forward to the explosion of posting that'll occur when I ask people to do the Final Vote.

Greaseman posted:

The sheer will of the Sumire Army pushes you in this direction, regardless of your intentions. :colbert:

I'm going to be tossed around like a leaf in a whirlwind ANYWAYS. The combined might of the Sumire's Devoted Fans, Kohran's Mekboys, and Maria's Disciples will see to that. :gonk:

Fallen One posted:

I decided to step out of lurkerdom to express my appreciation for this thread. I have always wanted to play these games but am not nearly fluent enough in Japanese to do so. Your translation and excellent commentary has made this one of my favorite LPs ever. Please keep up the good work!

Oh, and the last update has solidified my spot on the Sumire bandwagon.

Awww, thanks! Glad you're enjoying the thread- and if you're as much of a colossal dork as I am, all it takes is time, practice, and more JRPGs than you can shake a stick at to improve your Japanese.

Vote noted!

Rose wood posted:

Everyone's focusing on Sumire, but there was another major breakthrough that update too!

Maria gave you mild approval! Mild approval!!

Holy mother of gently caress, you're right AND I DIDN'T EVEN THINK TO WRITE COMMENTARY FOR THAT :bang:

Granted, she probably has every right to be impressed because she threw Ogami TO THE WOLVES. :argh:

[Maria]

Okay, here's how you walk. Here's how you attack. Now go to it, don't ask me anymore questions, and leave me the hell alone, I'm going to go shoot everything in the face now.

[Ogami]

... M-Maria, you don't need to aim at every takoyaki stand you see-

[Maria]

EVERYTHING.

Sindai posted:

Sumire may be sweet all of a sudden, but it made her all unfunny. Now she's almost as oozy and saccharine as Sakura. Unless she gets bitchy again it's Kohran all the way. :supaburn:

Does a fish love water? Does a horse poo poo in the streets? Does a barnyard fowl tilt its head up with its mouth open when it rains, putting it in imminent danger of drowning? Do dogs sniff each others' asses?

CannonFodder posted:

I can't believe I read the whole thing.

Thanks for this LP with handy translations. I was going to vote Maria, then vote Kohran (until she went and did the mad scientist Washuu thing, complete with lights around the head) but now I gotta vote Sumire. She's loaded, stacked and loaded. And maybe she'll move faster on the battlefield now that she's full of BURNING PASSION.

Glad you're liking it! And hey, at least you managed to read through the whole thing while the LP is still relatively young. I imagine it'd be harder to read it in one sitting once the thread fills up with the game's later chapters. :v:

Sumire's burning passion IS fairly awesome.

Cheeseball IV posted:

You need to go for the obsessive chick who totes around a sword. Then dump her.

If I do that and trigger Sakura's undying wrath, THEN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE WILL DIE.

Bimbpy posted:

I cast a vote for Iris, because watching others suffer pleases me greatly. :keke:

whywouldyoudothat.jpg :argh:

Pythian_Habanero posted:

Can there be some kind of "everybody EXCEPT Iris" option? I mean. Sumire has cleavage, so obviously I like her. Maria's just awesome because she's a manly Russian sniper badass. Sakura kills things with swords, which makes up for her creepy stalker tendencies, and Kohran is an exploding nerd who really reminds me of Agatha Clay from Girl Genius. Only Southern.

...okay, looking at all the above choices, I gotta say my vote's with Kohran. Never mind. :D

Just as well, 'cause there's no harem ending. I really don't want to see how that'd end up turning out. :gonk:

You can't go wrong with the techie!

Canuck-Errant posted:

Well, I guess I'll stick with Maria, but move a backup vote to Sumire. Though... hey, what are the tallies up to now, anyway?

To be quite honest, hell if I know. I haven't been keeping an official tally of people's votes for a while now. :downs: All I remember are the Big Three- Maria, Sumire, and Kohran, roughly in that order (though the first two may be neck-to-neck at this point).

'Sides, I figure that quite a few peoples' opinions may end up shifting as we work through the chapters, and I'm already toying with the idea of asking for formal votes once we get to certain parts in the game.

Glazius posted:

Have I mentioned how much I love these little asides? You're beautiful, kid, never change.

Thanks! Those are probably my favorite part of writing this LP, so I'm glad to see that you're liking 'em so much. :xd:

quote:

Anything less than a full-body swimsuit, possible with a risible stripe pattern, is fairly anachronistic... at least outside of Japan.

INSIDE of Japan...

Well, I present the following for the edification and :gonk: of all concerned.

THANK YOU, I DID NOT NEED TO READ ABOUT THE SPECIFICS OF HOW THE FUNDOSHI CARRIES THE SCROTUM.

quote:

Is it really a month between "episodes"? That makes the whole trust system kind of double-weird, since you get all this in a single day.

One can only imagine what Ogami's diary looks like.

(Day Three)
- Took tickets. Did nothing.

(Day Four)
- Took tickets. Found an interesting pattern in my belly-button lint.

(Days Five to Thirty-Three)
- Took tickets. Did nothing.

(Day Thirty-Four)
- ... met Kohran, impressed Maria and Sakura, impressed Kohran, got stuck doing vouchers for like eighteen hours, got violated by Kohran, met Iris in her room, talked to Maria on the porch, swam with Sumire, molested saved Sumire in the bath....

quote:

[Ogami] It's almost as if some external force which desperately desires to see girls naked is taking control of my body!

That sounds like a good introductory line to a sex ed video, where the narrator cuts in with something like "That, my boy, is PUBERTY! Now we'll be taking you on a magical journey where you will undoubtedly learn everything you need to know about what's happening to your body!!!", etc.

quote:

Is THAT where that meme came from?

I don't know, and I'm pretty sure that I never want to know. "It comes from 4chan" is usually good enough. :gonk:

quote:

Yeah, somebody from the future's going to show up with a dart gun to peg Ogami because he was single-handedly responsible for a destructive population explosion.

Just as long as he doesn't eventually wake up in a tub full of ice with a mysterious ache in his crotch...

quote:

While it must be hard to edit the screens for these LPs, moments like these must make it all worthwhile.

You betcher boots. :woop:

quote:

The cursor has its own little facial expressions. :master:

quote:

Well, it's no thanks to me in particular still carrying a torch for the original :synpa: but, congratulations.

Don't you worry, Maria will have her time in the sun. :colbert:

Bimbpy posted:

Also, the Orky Koubu is made of pure awesome.

Kohran was so a Mekboy in some previous life. LESS CHOPPY, MORE SHOOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

John Mirra?
Yes?
This is John Mirra. Welcome to the next page.

One thing I've learned from the Deception LP is that threads can get TRAPPED on a page for a while, accumulating hundreds of images. :v: I quite like the layout here, where there's one image for a scene and then the portraits of the characters' heads.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Dominic Hokage posted:

One thing I've learned from the Deception LP is that threads can get TRAPPED on a page for a while, accumulating hundreds of images. :v: I quite like the layout here, where there's one image for a scene and then the portraits of the characters' heads.

The first page of the thread nearly broke that way, yes. :xd: You also have seorin and Semiru and Canuck-Errant to thank for how the LP looks now, however- they persuaded me to switch from smilies to actual portraits and alerted me to the fact that .png files aren't the best format for updates spanning hundreds of images.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Aw, shucks. :3:

Well, I'll be doing an LP of my own when the school year starts; it's a mite harder to do one working 9-5 than taking classes 2-4 :v: so you'll be able to see... uh, I'm not sure, exactly.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Short update!

When we last left our hero:

YOU COULD CUT THE EXCITEMENT WITH A CHAINSAW. GRIPPING STUFF!

However, I lied. The nighttime patrols aren't quite over yet.

KNOCK KNOCK.

[Sakura]

Ogami-san.... might you still be up?

[Ogami]

Aah, I'm awake. I was just thinking about going to sleep.....

[Sakura]

I see.... um.... could you please come out for a moment?

She's come to FINISH HIM OFF.

[Ogami]

Hm? What's up?

[Sakura]

There's something I would like to invite you to do, if you'd like. Er... and it won't take too long, so...

The plot thickens. :gonk: First Kohran, then Sumire, and now Sakura...?

[Ogami]

.... I understand. I'm coming.

Why the salon?

Well, nevermind, I GUESS this could get kinky.

I. The what now?

[Ogami]

Koi Koi?

Thankfully, the eternally baffled protagonist is once again here to represent ALL of our confused stares.

[Sakura]

It's a card game that uses hanafuda- floral playing cards. Kohran has been teaching it to everyone here.

So Kohran taught four pilots how to play a card game, along with the three theater girls and Yoneda... how'd she fit all that in between checking on the Koubu and molesting Ogami?

[Sakura]

So we'd also love it if you participated in theis tournament as well, Ogami-san!
Apparently, those who rank the highest will receive some sort of prize from the Manager.

[Ogami]

The Flower Division Koi Koi Tournament, huh... that sounds like fun, I'd love to participate.

----
[Ogami]

It's a small chance, but if the prize consists of actual CLOTHES...
----

Just as long as it doesn't awaken anyone's innate tourneyfaggotry. :cry:

[Ogami]

So... how will this tournament proceed?

[Sakura]

You'll play against one person at a time in this salon.
You're allowed to forfeit a match, but...
If you forfeit or fail to appear, it'll count against you as a loss by default.

Which is what I did the very first time I played this game. :iamafag:

[Sakura]

Now then... this might be a bit sudden, Ogami-san, but your first opponent is none other than me!

Wait, don't I get any choice in the matter? I never agreed to play your game! :mad:

[Sakura]

.... but before that, Ogami-san, do you actually know how to play Koi Koi?
If you like, I can explain it to you, but...

oh, wait, there's my choice. Tutorials are for losers! And hell, I could never get a grip on how to play the game. As far as I can tell, it's mostly luck-based, too.

[Ogami]

I'll be alright. Let's start the match.

It's time to D-D-D-D-DUEL!!

[Ogami]

Alright... come on!

FUN FACT: the original Sakura Wars had a nifty minigame specific to each character, most of them differing substantially from each other. For instance, Sumire's swimming lesson used to be a "Save Sumire From Drowning In Five Feet Of Water From A Cramped Leg" game, with the added twist that the pool was full of exploding oxygen mines. Hanafuda- this particular card game, I hear?- was Kohran's minigame.

Koi Koi is no substitute. :cry: Thus...

---
:siren: OPTIONAL VIDEO :siren:
Though, hell, this entire section is pretty much optional.

I mean, Sakura's fully voiced, which is cool (and listening to her go 'HAAAAAU!!' and 'EI!' and 'UWAH!' is horridly amusing, at least for me), but... well, it's a card game. Not only do I barely know how to play the game, but I have the vague feeling that there are few things more tedious than watching someone play a video game about someone playing a card game in a foreign language.

Regardless, the video's up for the sake of completeness. If you want to watch Sakura go from playful to determined to happy to flipping out, well, now's your chance.
---

[Sakura]

Sakura Shinguji... here we go!

On the plus side, I really like the BGM. :3:

The gist of the game, for those morbidly interested: both players start off with eight cards, with the face-up pile in the middle.

[Sakura]

This looks like it'll be a good match!

A player's turn consists of trying to match one card in their hand with a card on the pile (and there's a big list of feasible combos that I can never remember). If you find a match, you take the pair out of play and shift them off to the side.

If you can't find a match, your card is added to the pile in the middle and you gain nothing. Your turn ends by you drawing one card from the deck, which is automatically paired up with a feasible match and also brought to your side- if you're unlucky and there's no match, it's also just added to the pile in the middle.

Then your opponent's turn starts... etc, etc. It's best out of three rounds, and whoever has the most points remaining wins.

... there's really nothing much to cover here. I get horribly unlucky and can't find any good pairs of cards, while Sakura owns me like a red-headed stepchild in the first round.

As far as I can tell, she's got the sheer weight of cards going for her on her side- part of the 'Beasts' combo, 'Tane', and possibly 'Flowers Under The Moon' or something arcane like that.

'Kasu'.

Each major combination of cards is worth a certain number of points; if either player racks up some badass combination of cards, they can either choose to keep the round going in hopes of getting a BETTER combo (the top option, 'Koi Koi!')- which is risky, because the opponent might win during that time- or to simply end the round (the bottom option, 'Ya~meta'- basically something like 'Stopping Here'). If s/he chooses to end the round, the combo's weight in points is deducted from the loser's side- here, Sakura's 'Kasu' combo (which, as far as I can tell, means "assorted odds and ends") is worth a paltry one point.

Needless to say, even though she only deducts one measly point from my total...

Round 1: Sakura Wins.

[Sakura]

Sto~pping here. Ehehe!

:argh:

.... you don't need to rub it in.

[Sakura]

Somehow, I won.
I'm going first this round.

Etc, etc. I'm going to fly by the rest of this minigame because aside from the characters' reactions, nothing of value is gained.

ROUND TWO:

I kick rear end completely by accident with some sort of arbitrary 'Flower-Viewing With Sake' combo, which is a three-point gain for me. Ogami has fourteen points, Sakura has twelve. :woop:

ROUND THREE:

Sakura gets another one-point 'Tan', which would subtract one point from Ogami's score- which would make it Ogami (13) and Sakura (12). Not nearly enough for her to tie, let alone to pull ahead.

So she does the only logical thing and end the game instead of trying to shoot for a bigger combo. :froggonk: Sakura wins the round, and thanks to her inability to add OR subtract, Ogami wins the game. :rolleyes:

Wha-?! What the hell did I do?! :gonk:

----
[Sakura]

Hey, Ogami-san, Ogami-san! I'll trade you Boardwalk if you give me the Pennsylvania Railroad!

[Ogami]

... but Sakura-kun... I already have Park Place and you don't have any of the other Railroads, do you really-

[Sakura]

Don't worry about it, it's all part of my master plan!

[Ogami]

Well, if you say so...

~TWENTY MINUTES LATER~

[Ogami]

... that's the fifth time you've landed on Boardwalk, and since I have hotels built on it, you currently owe me a couple thousand dollars worth of ren-

[Sakura]

[Sakura]

OGAMI-SAN, YOU IDIO~T!!

[Ogami]

WHY?!
----

[Ogami]

For a first time, that was a very good match.

... he said, doing his level best to ignore Sakura's glare of death.

She'll extract her vengeance on Ogami soon enough, oooh yes. She NEVER FORGETS.

[Sakura]

Ogami-san, you've started off with one win already, haven't you. Congratulations!
Good work on the first round. Please do your best in the next match as well, okay?
Now then, thank you for taking the trouble to come out here tonight.

I didn't have a choice in the matter! It's like Ogami took revenge on the player for forcing him to walk into the baths.

:tinfoil:

Don't be fooled by her happy exterior. Inside, she's still filled with a burning, wrathful need for vengeance that will only be cooled down by the utter destruction of all things good and holy!

EXTERMINATUS! EXTERMINATUS!

[Ogami]

Good night, Sakura-kun.

----
:siren: KOI KOI ENDS HERE. :siren:

You can start reading again, citizen.
----

----

One nifty pan-and-shift from nighttime to daytime later (miraculously, the theater's in one piece yet again)...

We rejoin our hero the next day, right after he's finished his god-given duty to his country.

[Ogami]

Everyone in the Flower Division's still in the middle of the play, huh... I guess I'll go check and see how the play's going.

And Ogami walks straight from the lobby to the backstage area, charging through the filled seats and maiming guests left and right in a bloodthirsty rage! With a throat-rattling roar, Ogami tore through the wooden planks of the stage with his bare hands, sumo-flipped Sakura, and ripped through the curtains as he went!!

Sadly, I lost all screenshots pertaining to that sequence, so you'll have to take my word for it. :iamafag:

----

Fun fact: in Japan, the voice actresses of Sakura Wars have actually performed the "Because Of Love" play. Live.

... which is fundamentally bizarre on many levels, because it's the voice actresses playing their characters, who are in turn playing the characters in "Because Of Love." Nevertheless, all of the plays that they performed were ludicrously successful.

The More You Know! :eng101:

[Maria]

If I were to abandon my duty and my soldiers, and run away with you... I would no longer be myself.

As usual, Maria cuts a dashing figure. :3:

[Maria]

That kind of person... would you be able to love him?

[Sakura]

Lord Andre~!

... she screamed, her voice cracking horribly. The hundreds of watching guests were able to enjoy a good laugh at her expense.

Meanwhile, behind the scenes... somehow, what vestiges of humanity that are left in Iris's mind have been touched by this doomed display of love.

[Kohran]

Will ya look at that, Ogami-han. Sakura-han's doin' her best.

[Kohran]

Even so... Maria-han's gettin' into it a bit too much.

Pfft, it's just your imagination. It's not like Maria was ever given the heavy burden of being responsible for soldiers or anything like that. :rolleyes:

[Kohran]

An' lookit that, the girls in th' audience can't get enough o' this kinda bittersweet romance. They're swooning left an' right.

[Sumire]

Good grief, such low-class acting. I can barely stand watching it.

(She's literally saying something like "her acting stinks to high heaven of country bumpkin-ness", but that doesn't translate well AT ALL.)

[Sumire]

But compared to myself, who is positively overflowing with talent, one can almost feel sorry for her.

Christ, someone's still angry about not landing the part of Clementine.

On a brighter note, Sumire's still retained much of the acidic bitchiness that we'd feared lost.

[Iris]

Sumire, shut up~!

Them's the breaks to having a child on your team. THEY'RE able to mouth off whatever's on their minds without giving a drat about how much of a bitch they're being.

[Sumire]

Honestly... why did I have to get stuck with such a minor role, I wonder.
And despite the fact that clearly, I am the most suitable for the leading actress's spotlight. Don't you think so as well, Ensign?

[Ogami]

H, haah.

Thankfully, Kohran saves him from having to lie through his teeth.

[Kohran]

Shh! ... we're almost to the climax!

----
:siren: "Because Of Love..." FMV :siren:

Vidya alert! Not optional. But hey, it's short and...

Sweet. Yes, sweet. 'Course, I'll be covering the vidya's contents below, but....
----

"LORD ANDRE~~!!" Sakura yelled dramatically, dashing over towards her (character's?) true love. Such tragedy! Such bittersweet romance! Such-

- annoying shoes!

Aah!

Dowah!

DAAAAAAH!

Why are they keeping the spotlight on her, for chrissake?!

Unbeknownst to them all, however, was the Golden Rule of the Grand Imperial Theater: "Every Goddamn Prop, Background, Or Otherwise Potentially Hazardous Decoration Must Be Connected To The Curtain."

So before everyone's shocked eyes, the ENTIRE STAGE starts falling apart, showering debris, broken pillars, and support beams all over the place.

THIS IS SAKURA'S BANKAI EXTERMINATUS.

... much to the horror of those guests unfortunate enough to get a front-row seat (and to the utter joy of the guests who had been unable to afford said front-row seats).

----
[Kohran]

An' I didn't even get t' lift a finger!
----

[Sumire]

... that is IT, I have had it up to here!

[Iris]

Ah, Sumire! You can't~!

BUT SHE DOES!

And the audience actually takes the time to laugh here, momentarily forgetting the fact that they're in grave danger of being crushed by falling props.

Moral of the day: comedy triumphs over everything, including immediate danger to one's person. :v:

[Sumire]

Sakura-san! You've turned the stage into such a mess- what in the world are you trying to do?!

[Sakura]

.... I, I'm sorry.

[Sumire]

Honestly, that was a most graceful and skillfully-executed fall! This is why you country bumpkins are so...
Uncouth, irritating, and on top of that, completely unrefined.... all three requisites to be a stinking hick!

[Sakura]

... though if we're talking about mess-ups, I believe that Sumire-san made the most this performance.

... hot drat, Sakura's not afraid to bare her teeth when her back's up.

[Sumire]

Wh, what was that?!

[Maria]

Both of you! We're in front of an audience. Stop this right now!

I doubt that even Maria can stop the two of them now. :gonk:

[Kohran]

Aw, no! Ogami-han, you've gotta go in an' stop 'em!

Wha-

[Iris]

Oniichan, do something~!!

WHAT?!

Uh....

Er....

fgsfds

----
[Ogami]

ARE YOU NUCKING FUTS?! I'm not getting between THOSE two, you guys don't pay me nearly enough for me to risk my life like that!!

[Kohran]

... Ogami-han, yer part of a force that reguarly sends y'all out in tin cans t' go an' tangle with a buncha demons. Ya can't get much more dangerous 'n that.

[Ogami]

Well, demons are predictable, but two women fighting each other? That just scare the poo poo out of me.
----

[Kohran]

.... I see whatcha mean. As expected of ya, Ogami-han; cool, level-headed, an' calm.

[Iris]

Oniichan, you're so smart~!

It looks like a highly developed sense of self-preservation to ME, but.

[Ogami]

Hmmmm... however, it doesn't look like this fight's going to cool down very easily.

----
[Ogami]

HOLY poo poo!

[Kohran]

Wha-?! Ogami-han, what's th' matter?

[Ogami]

My god... I finally understand how stupid we're all being!
Here, two (possibly three) of our comrades are fighting needlessly amongst themselves, being an embarrassment in front of an audience of HUNDREDS...
They may even come to blows, and... and...

[Kohran]

Yeah, it's purty darned heinous to-

[Ogami]

Don't you realize how much MONEY we could make off of this situation?! Sakura-kun and Sumire-kun's necklines are low-cut!!
They're nubile young women who are all wearing flimsy stage clothes that are ridiculously easy to rip, and we've got a catfight on our hands!

[Kohran]

Good thinkin', Ogami-han! We can't jes' sit here an' do nothin'!!

[Ogami]

The possibilities... why, the possibilities are ENDLESS!! Iris! Go down there and start charging them extra to watch the girls fight!
Kohran! Get us two- no, TEN gallons of mud!! No, wait, make that whipped cream!! Where are we going to find enough--

[Iris]

Oh, that's easy, I've saved a few tons of whipped cream in the kitchen for the glorious day that I utterly shatter Oniichan's mind, body, and spirit, and force him to lick it all off of m-

[Ogami]

I- you- good lord, WHAT?!

[Iris]

... erk. I meant to say...

[Iris]

Tralala, lookit me, I'm childishly cute~! Oniichan, Iris doesn't understand any of this stuff at all~!

[Ogami]

Hahaha, oh, Iris, you lovable scamp.

[Ogami]

[Ogami]

... what were we talking about again?

[Iris]

Whipped cream and illegal methods of making money!

[Ogami]

oh yeah. SNAP TO IT, PEOPLE!!
----

... rumblerumblerumble.

[Kohran]

That sound... aw no, Ogami-san! It looks like the stage's gonna collapse again!

[Ogami]

Wh, what did you say?!

[Iris]

Oniichan! Sakura and the others are in danger!

[Ogami]

I got it! I'll get the girls to evacuate!

Alright, Ogami, show us the skills of a leader!

[Ogami]

Hey~! Everybody~! Watch out~!!

What.

[Maria]

Ensign!

[Sumire]

... the, the stage is going to-

[Sakura]

- collapse again-!

[Ogami]

O-oh no! Everyone, run away!!

NARROWLY AVOIDING DEATH! THE BRAVE FLOWER DIVISION!!

[Ogami]

Uwaaaaaaah!!

[Sakura]

Kyaaaaaaaa!!

[Sumire]

Oh my~~~~~!!

[Maria]

The stage... how did this happen...

Injured: 91
Badly Injured: 218
Deaths: 12

BAD END

Next time: Sweeping the bodies under the rug and forcing some poor sap to take responsibility for everything!

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 7, 2012

Pythian_Habenero
Jul 27, 2006

Hot Sephardic Love
Oh dear. How did that happen?

Also:

Spirit Ermor posted:

YOU COULD CUT THE EXCITEMENT WITH A CHAINSAW. GRIPPING STUFF!

I cackled. Out loud. Brilliance.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Spirit Armor posted:

[Kohran]

Shh! ... we're almost to the climax!

Hey what happened to her costume? :colbert:

Dear lord, between Sakura's lethal clumsiness and rage, I must admit it's tempting to turn to Maria for protection.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Spirit Armor posted:

FUN FACT: the original Sakura Wars had a nifty minigame specific to each character, most of them differing substantially from each other. For instance, Sumire's swimming lesson used to be a "Save Sumire From Drowning In Five Feet Of Water From A Cramped Leg" game, with the added twist that the pool was full of exploding oxygen mines. Hanafuda- this particular card game, I hear?- was Kohran's minigame.

Wow, how completely unlike the Kohran we've come to know and check under our beds for.

Also, you must give more detail of these character-specific minigames as and when the opportunity presents itself.

quote:

Each major combination of cards is worth a certain number of points; if either player racks up some badass combination of cards, they can either choose to keep the round going in hopes of getting a BETTER combo (the top option, 'Koi Koi!')- which is risky, because the opponent might win during that time- or to simply end the round (the bottom option, 'Ya~meta'- basically something like 'Stopping Here'). If s/he chooses to end the round, the combo's weight in points is deducted from the loser's side- here, Sakura's 'Kasu' combo (which, as far as I can tell, means "assorted odds and ends") is worth a paltry one point.

Sounds like competitive Mahjong. You can try to go out with a bunch of simple pairs, but there's big points to be had in the more esoteric combos.

quote:

KOI KOI ENDS HERE.

Okay, so does that actually tweak trust levels? And do you get a bigger boost if you win or lose? Because trying to get serious trust levels by feeding your opponent cards for a killer combo sounds somewhat interesting.

quote:

Fun fact: in Japan, the voice actresses of Sakura Wars have actually performed the "Because Of Love" play. Live.

... which is fundamentally bizarre on many levels, because it's the voice actresses playing their characters, who are in turn playing the characters in "Because Of Love." Nevertheless, all of the plays that they performed were ludicrously successful.

Well, naturally. JAPAAAAN! :argh:

quote:

So before everyone's shocked eyes, the ENTIRE STAGE starts falling apart, showering debris, broken pillars, and support beams all over the place.

THIS IS SAKURA'S BANKAI EXTERMINATUS.

...so when the voice actors headed out to do these meta-as-gently caress plays, did they rig a stage to collapse?

quote:

[Kohran]An' I didn't even get t' lift a finger!

Aw. Don't worry, Kohran, the rest of the building's still standing destructible.

quote:

[Kohran]Aw, no! Ogami-han, you've gotta go in an' stop 'em!

Wha-

[Iris]Oniichan, do something~!!

WHAT?!

----
[Ogami]ARE YOU NUCKING FUTS?! I'm not getting between THOSE two, you guys don't pay me nearly enough for me to risk my life like that!!

I've said it before, but I like how "do nothing" presents itself as an option in this LIPS system.

quote:

Next time: Sweeping the bodies under the rug and forcing some poor sap to take responsibility for everything!

[Yoneda] Ogami! How'd you like to be an engineer?
[Ogami] W-wow! Anything's better than taking tickets...
[Yoneda] Alright! Petty class sanitation engineer Ogami! There appears to be a rather large mess in the theater! I'll ignore this dereliction of duty for the moment, but I want that place spotless!
[Ogami] One day I will learn to see these things coming...

Greaseman posted:

Dear lord, between Sakura's lethal clumsiness and rage, I must admit it's tempting to turn to Maria for protection.

Maria Tachibana, tranq-dart sniper. It could work.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Spirit Armor posted:

NARROWLY AVOIDING DEATH! THE BRAVE FLOWER DIVISION!!

[Ogami]

Uwaaaaaaah!!

[Sakura]

Kyaaaaaaaa!!

[Sumire]

Oh my~~~~~!!

[Maria]

The stage... how did this happen...

Ahhh, Maria - cool and calm even while the rest of the team are screaming like girls. Including Ogami.

Rose wood
Apr 4, 2006

You're a superstar!

Glazius posted:

[Yoneda] It's clear who's responsible for this disaster... the engineering department! Why wasn't the stage properly maintained Ogami!? When the police get here you're in big trouble!

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007

Semiru posted:

Ahhh, Maria - cool and calm even while the rest of the team are screaming like girls. Including Ogami.

I think you're confusing "cool and calm" with "completely wasted".

Rest of cast: Ahhhh!
Maria: Ooooh... the stage... how'd that happen? I'm hungry.

(This post brought to you by the Sumire brigade. For justice!)

Bimbpy
Jul 22, 2007

by Lowtax
Iris doesn't even respond, indicating she was either instantly crushed under the rubble or used her Psyker powers to project a defensive screen around herself, and is too busy to scream "ONIICHAAAAAAAAAN~~" or something.
With our luck, it's the latter. :saddowns:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Yay! :neckbeard: For all that I despise ongoing computer troubles, on the rare occasion I can actually catch up on my favorite LPs there's a whole LOT of content to read.

That Sumire update was full of cleavage awesome. I can only imagine what would happen if Ogami hooks up with her. She'll be all lovey and doe-eyed until Ogami forgets their first anniversary, then she'll use her immense wealth and savagely cruel temperament to construct an elaborate situation that will leave Ogami with the inability to walk unassisted.

[Ogami]

I... I thought you loved me...

[Sumire]

Just remember my birthday if you want to keep those testicles of yours!

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Pythian_Habanero posted:

Oh dear. How did that happen?

The most epicly moronic stage crew in the history of mankind?

Greaseman posted:

Hey what happened to her costume? :colbert:

SCIENCE! :science:

quote:

It's amazing that she hasn't tripped while swordfighting and taken out Ogami some poor sap.

Glazius posted:

Wow, how completely unlike the Kohran we've come to know and check under our beds for.

I guess the game's director looked back at the original game and was like "poo poo guys, we messed up, she doesn't have nearly enough skeletons in her closet. LET'S CHANGE THAT."

quote:

Also, you must give more detail of these character-specific minigames as and when the opportunity presents itself.

I'll do my best! Though most of the situations appear in some form or other, I haven't actually played the original Sega Saturn version, sadly, so I won't have any hands-on experience with them.

quote:

Sounds like competitive Mahjong. You can try to go out with a bunch of simple pairs, but there's big points to be had in the more esoteric combos.

I suppose! You can probably risk a lot by keeping the game going in order to chain up a bunch of small combos, but it's the big combos that break your opponent.

quote:

Okay, so does that actually tweak trust levels? And do you get a bigger boost if you win or lose? Because trying to get serious trust levels by feeding your opponent cards for a killer combo sounds somewhat interesting.

In the video, you could hear a small boost in Sakura's trust level. You gain trust only if you win, but I don't think you can actually LOSE trust in Koi Koi- the first time I played, Sakura hammered me with a 16 point combo in the first round, ending the game. She was happy, but there was no change in trust.

I suppose it'd be somewhat moronic if the point of the game is to set yourself up to LOSE.

quote:

Well, naturally. JAPAAAAN! :argh:

The VAs are really awesome singers, even if what I've occasonally seen from their live shows renders me a twitching, tears-of-blood mess (thresholds of cute differ between American and Japanese (otaku sub-)cultures, it seems).

quote:

...so when the voice actors headed out to do these meta-as-gently caress plays, did they rig a stage to collapse?

Not that meta.

It'd be fuckawesome if they DID, but it's not that meta; these turn out more like sidestories than anything else.

quote:

Aw. Don't worry, Kohran, the rest of the building's still standing destructible.

:gonk: And you KNOW that she has a mecha of her own...

quote:

I've said it before, but I like how "do nothing" presents itself as an option in this LIPS system.

It gets a SHITton of use, which keeps things interesting.

quote:

[Yoneda] Alright! Petty class sanitation engineer Ogami! There appears to be a rather large mess in the theater! I'll ignore this dereliction of duty for the moment, but I want that place spotless!
[Ogami] One day I will learn to see these things coming...

I'd guarantee that in twenty minutes, he'd be going mad on account of there being SO MUCH BLOOD AND CRUSHED BODIES.

quote:

Maria Tachibana, tranq-dart sniper. It could work.

Hell, why even bother with a rifle? When she gets REALLY saccharine (and if Maria becomes Ogami's love interest), I think it'd just be much more satisfying to walk up to Sakura and jab a needle straight into her artery.

Rose wood posted:

[Yoneda] It's clear who's responsible for this disaster... the engineering department! Why wasn't the stage properly maintained Ogami!? When the police get here you're in big trouble!

Aaah, shifting the blame.

... this is all assuming, of course, that Yoneda's not off playing golf or drinking or whatever he does when he inexplicably isn't around for long periods of time.

Semiru posted:

Grunduggerer posted:

I think you're confusing "cool and calm" with "completely wasted".

Rest of cast: Ahhhh!
Maria: Ooooh... the stage... how'd that happen? I'm hungry.

(This post brought to you by the Sumire brigade. For justice!)

I've said this before, but when the time comes, I'm looking forward to the jihads debates over which character should be voted in as love interest.

Bimbpy posted:

Iris doesn't even respond, indicating she was either instantly crushed under the rubble or used her Psyker powers to project a defensive screen around herself, and is too busy to scream "ONIICHAAAAAAAAAN~~" or something.
With our luck, it's the latter.

I'd like to think that she's smirking horribly off to the side and saying something like "Just As Planned," but, well.

seorin posted:

Yay! For all that I despise ongoing computer troubles, on the rare occasion I can actually catch up on my favorite LPs there's a whole LOT of content to read.

That Sumire update was full of cleavage awesome. I can only imagine what would happen if Ogami hooks up with her. She'll be all lovey and doe-eyed until Ogami forgets their first anniversary, then she'll use her immense wealth and savagely cruel temperament to construct an elaborate situation that will leave Ogami with the inability to walk unassisted.

Some days, I'm convinced that Sumire will mimic some predatory insect on the night of their honeymooon and will, after sex, immediately devour Ogami's entrails.

Good luck with your computer!

AND NOW UPDATE hopefully because it's huge, it's late, and I'm sorta tired. :downs:

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 24, 2007

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

It is night time. Sadly, there were parts of the theater that had not escaped destruction. :(

There is such a thing as 'too much understatement', Ogami.

O-oh.

Wait, are you kidding me?

----
[Ogami]

... but... but debris was flying everywhere.

[Maria]

Thankfully, no one was injured.

[Ogami]

The entire ceiling fell down on a section of the audience, and I swear that I saw a few boulders and pillars fell onto that front row over the-

[Maria]

THANKFULLY, NO ONE WAS INJURED.

[Ogami]

B-but I'm pretty sure that I heard screams of pain and saw miniature explosions of blood and gor-

[Maria]

THANKFULLY, NO ONE WAS INJURED.

[Ogami]

But... all you guys did was sweep the bodies underneath the stage?!

[Maria]

THANKFULLY, NO ONE WAS INJURED. Trust me, Ensign, we're government. We can get away with this, trust me.
----

----

... drat. And all perpetrated by one seventeen-year-old swordswoman, too.

----

[Sumire]

This is not something that can be resolved by a simple "I'm so sorry." We have yet another performance tomorrow. I demand that you fix this all tonight!

[Sakura]

You can't be serious...

We're in Tokyo, they've got construction crews that are able to rebuild a week's worth of giant monster rampaging within the space of an hour. I'm sure we can work something out with them.

[Ogami]

Hey now... all of this isn't just Sakura's responsibility, right?

The stage crew has yet to answer for rigging everything up to the curtains, after all.

... 'course, if there's one thing Sumire takes seriously, it's performing.

And it appears that she's spitting mad. :gonk: So much for her going soft.

[Ogami]

Eh....?

[Sumire]

Well? How about it?

----
[Ogami]

Why I oughtta... I should fire back with an awesome retort, just to show her who's boss around these here parts!
... a boss other than Maria!

[Ogami]

Yeah, well, uh,
----

----
[Ogami]

Maybe I WILL do it! OH!! HOW ABOUT -THAT-?!

[Ogami]

... wait.

[Ogami]

poo poo.
----

[Ogami]

I understand. I'll do it. I DO have some measure of responsibility in this as well.

----
[Ogami]

... like winning at Koi Koi and getting her so horribly pissed off that her blind rage caused her to slaughter an untold number of audience members BUT THAT'S BESIDE THE POINT.
----

[Sakura]

Ogami-san...

Trust

[Maria]

Ensign...

Levels

[Iris]

Oniichan, you're so cool!

Go

Up.

No, but no thanks to Ogami's big mouth, he can't really back out now, can he?

[Ogami]

Aah. Everyone's got to be tired from the play, so I'll just do it through the night.

Whyyyyyyy SAVE ME

(Oddly enough, Kohran's trust level doesn't go up.)

... unhelpful child. :argh: s-stop pointing Jean-Paul and his dead, forsaken eyes at me

And the screen fades to black as Jean-Paul stares at you with her large soulless eyes. Waiting... waiting... waiting... :gonk:

Eventually, Ogami wakes up alone and in a pool of his own tears, and decides to get to work.

Well, yes, that might have something to do with your hammering one single crate for the past couple of hours.

[Ogami]

Doesn't look like I'll be able to finish this on my own... well, guess I'll try doing as much as I can.

.... your inability to finish everything could be related to the fact that the entire stage is not made of crates, Ogami. :gonk:

Regardless, after hours and hours of making crates, Ogami was able to fashion a makeshift mannequin of his favorite pilot... and then he brought it to life!

----
[Ogami]

Wha...? SAKURA's my favorite pilot?! N.... n-n-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~~~!!!

[Ogami]

... oh, whew, this is the REAL Sakura, not some figment of my innermost desires.
----

[Ogami]

Huh? Sakura-kun... what's wrong? At this late an hour.

[Sakura]

I'm sorry, Ogami-san. It's all my fault that things have turned out like this...

[Ogami]

No, it's alright. Someone has to do this, after all.

----
[Ogami]

... preferably, someone other than me.
----

----

good god I don't even care if my stalker alarm is going off gently caress YES

Now I can finally guilt-trip her and fob all the work off on Sakura!

[Ogami]

Sure, by all means. Could you help me build this entirely useless crate repair this broken set?

Yes! All alone with Ogami-san! In a mostly-empty empty theater! With no witnesses and a bevy of weapons close at hand!

... :gonk:

But whatever! We're finally going to get some stuff done!

And by 'stuff done', I mean 'we now have two people hammering nails into the same crate'. MARVELOUS~!

T-this is not very reassuring, coming out of my team's swordswoman.

[Sakura]

I'm envious of how people like you and Maria-san are able to keep it together.

[Ogami]

That's not the case at all. I also trip a few times myself, every now and then.

[Sakura]

Really? But that's great.

No it's not. D:

[Sakura]

Somehow, that's a relief to me.
That's right! Ogami-san, you're still going to keep working... right?

[Ogami]

.... eh? ... aah, that's right.

[Ogami]

O-oi, Sakura-kun! .... she left.

... congrats, you just got stood up!

[Ogami]

.... it can't be helped. Guess I'll continue the repairs.

---:siren: VIDEO FMV! :siren:---

Midnight Visitor! Which will be covered below as well, but.

----

YEAH! CRATE HAMMERAN GAEM! PRESS 'A' TO HAMMERAN

HELL YEAH!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

W- OH GOD gently caress!!

Quick, press 'A' to blow on it and mend the broken bone!

And then comes the mysterious voice.

[???]

Oh?

----

Cool, Sakura came back wearing a hot military uniform for no apparent reaso-

- oh.

[???]

Are you hurt?

-- she said, kneeling down and reaching towards Ogami's hand.

Free heal! Free heal! :woop:

[Ogami]

Ah, er, uhm...

[???]

You're an odd one, aren't you?

What tipped you off, lady? His constant refusal of a free heal or his belief that everything in the theater's performance is made up of crates?

So without any further ado, the woman took his hand and reached for some bandages-

- bandages-

- bandages-

-bandages finger fellatio-

... crates to rebuild a complex stage, and saliva to set a broken fingerbone? I know it's the 1920's, but JESUS CAN'T THESE PEOPLE DO ANYTHING RIGHT

----
[Kohran]

My Mr. Raperaperaperaperapebutterape Machine works just fine!
----

Thank you, Kohran, we know. :cry: We know this all too well.

I think we can take this utterly shocked reaction to mean that there was tongue involved.

Also, the whole 'opens her eyes and looks up from below' thing proves that there IS such a thing as innuendo overkill.

Granted, it's horribly effective in this case, but STILL.

But at least she's done!

---

Was that as good for me as it was for you?

[Ogami]

... y, yes. It, it doesn't hurt anymore.

[???]

It's good of you to do your best, but don't overdo it, okay....?

[Ogami]

Y... yes.

And with that, the mysterious woman walks away. I'm sure that we're never going to see her again, or that she'll be any way crucial to Ogami's growth as a man captain of the Flower Division. :iamafag:

[Ogami]

She's... so pretty.
I... I wonder who she was? ... that woman...

... poo poo, now I know what kind of mind-melting, braincell-killing hell Sakura and all of them must go through whenever they go all HURR DURR for Ogami.

That woman is the anti-Ogami.

Well, I wonder when Sakura's going to-

GRIP.

[Ogami]

Owowow~! W, who's there?! Who's pinching my back!

Her?

... huh?

[Sakura]

It sure looks like you were having fun, weren't you?

FUN IS NOT ALLOWED. THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS, GUYS

-- why does she even care? Why does it even matter? What did he even DO to deserve this? THAT woman violated HIS finger, not the other way around!

... that sounds bad, let's just move on.

[Ogami]

N... no, er...

[Sakura]

How nice; you're almost like lovers.

----
[Ogami]

If we were lovers, she'd be doing MORE than just sucking on my finger!!

[Sakura]

... like...?

[Ogami]

... GROWN-UP STUFF!!

[Sakura]

... like...?

[Ogami]

poo poo WOMAN, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS ADULTS DO AT NIGHT, STOP CALLING MY BLUFF!
----

[Ogami]

Y, you've got to be kidding me... a girlfriend, you say...

----

Stop her! Stop her before she destroys the REST of the theater with a well-placed trip!

[Ogami]

Aah... she left.

Congrats, you really DID get stood up.

---:siren: BONUS VIDEO :siren:---

The previous scene in video form.

----

[Ogami]

.... huh? This is-

[Ogami]

This means... could it be that she made it for my sake?

----
If the Mysterious Older Woman hadn't shown up:

[Sakura]

Ogami-san! Sorry to keep you waiting.

[Ogami]

S-Sakura-kun! That lunch... you made it for me...?

[Sakura]

No, silly, I'm just going to eat it while I sit here and watch you work.

[Ogami]

I... what.

[Sakura]

Good luck, Ogami-san! Mmmph, oh my god, this'sh SO GOOD~! It'f too bad that you can't take time off to eat thiff, Ogami-ffan~!

[Ogami]

I hate you so much.
-----

Hells yeah I'm going after her, I'm not letting this degenerate into some kind of cliched wacky romance anime "oh she misunderstood me but I'm not going to do a thing about it and let it get out of hand and then tell her the truth when it's the most inconvenient time for both of us" hijinx.

... I already got enough of that in the third Pirates movie.

[Ogami]

I'm going to Sakura's room. No matter what happens, it'll be rude to Sakura if I just leave it like this.

It's more the other way around, but okay! Glad you're feeling overly responsible for everything, as usual something, Ogami. :frogbon:

So he broke the ceiling, piercing through the heavens with his mighty hair and landing in front of Sakura's room.

[Ogami]

... here, I've arrived. I wonder... if Sakura-kun's in?

[Ogami]

Hmmm.... it's already this late, what should I do....

:argh:

Well, if she's alseep, I'll just have to punch through her door and drag her out of bed kicking and screaming about rape which'll send everyone else running to kill Ogami and he'll get fired and it'll be a game over.

Full speed ahead!!

[Ogami]

No, that won't do. If I don't get this resolved here and now....

KNOCK KNOCK.

[Sakura]

Yes..... who is it?

You'd THINK that the happy funny answer is the right one. It isn't. So instead, we have to go

[Ogami]

Um.... it's Ogami.

[Sakura]

... he said, feigning regret for a crime that he was not guilty of.

[Sakura]

... in any case, please come in.

[Ogami]

..... sorry for the intrusion.

----

DIRECT MOUTH-TO-MOUTH ASSAULT

[Ogami]

Er, um...

... more direct, less fail

[Sakura]

.... what is it?

gently caress explanations or confrontations. It's non-sequitur time: I'm thanking you for the meal, and then I'm outta here.

[Ogami]

... thank you for the packed lunch. I just wanted to say my thanks.
You went to that much trouble to make it for me... I'm sorry.

OGAMI used HUMBLE CIVILITY!

It's super-effective!

[Sakura]

I'm sorry. I got too obstinate, and...

[Ogami]

Even so.... I wonder who that woman was?

I wish I could say that I had the honor of making this decision, but Ogami spouted it all on his own.

He predicted exactly what I wanted to say. I'm so proud~ :frogbon:

... 'course, I should probably run.

[Ogami]

Ah, no, it's nothing. O, okay then, I'll be going back now.

[Sakura]

... thanks for your hard work today. Good night, Ogami-san.

Beneath her thin veneer of hospitality, Sakura raged. Ooh yes, she will get her revenge when Ogami least expects it.

Awesome! Now that that's settled, we can just forget all about fixing the stage.

gently caress yes.

Back at Ogami's Humble Abode:

[Ogami]

Whew... today was a difficult day, huh. I'll sleep easy tonight.
Even so... that woman... I wonder who she was.

's only the twentieth time you've wondered that in the past ten minutes, man.

[???]

It's good of you to do your best, but don't overdo it, okay....?

... how convenient, they're both lines you might hear when she's sucking on DELICIOUS CAKE I MUST EAT IT

----

Beyond all expectations, this turned out to be the longest, most strenuous night that Ogami had ever experienced.

:flashfap:

A very, very long night.

----

And an even longer day, it seems.

... what the hell. :froggonk:

[Ogami]

... if she was inside the theater that late, maybe she's with the Operetta Troupe...
But, I've been here for about a month... I hadn't even met her once...
Haah.... I want to meet her once more...

... he's caught it. I didn't think it was possible, but he's caught his own disease. That mysterious woman is frighteningly powerful. Hell, I'm sure that even Sakura wouldn't spend all her time spacing off and fantasizing about Ogami like that.

Yes, I know that I'm probably being too optimistic here, but LET ME HAVE MY FANTASIES OF SANITY

Sakura seems awfully chipper in pushing everyone to repair the aftermath of ALL HER FAULT.

[Kohran]

What's up, Sakura-han? Y'all seem t' be in awfully high spirits, aren't 'cha.

[Sumire]

Hmph... have you not learned from your mistakes yesterday, I wonder?

----
[Iris]

I feel a powerful rival force undoing what progress I've made in his brainwashing.

[Iris]

THIS DISPLEASES ME.
----

[Sakura]

Last night, He was repairing the stage until it becacme late, so... let's let him sleep in a bit.

Besides, it's not like they really WANTED him there, since all he did was make this big pile of wooden boxes that they had to find some way to discreetly dispose of.

IMAGINE THE SOUND OF SIRENS GOING OFF ALL OF A SUDDEN, SCARING THE UNHOLY poo poo OUT OF YOU

Not another park! Those fiendish bastards and their hatred for largely unpopulated spaces!!

[Kasumi]

Flower Division personnel, please gather in the command room with haste.

----

----

'Ere we go, boyz, it'z time fer shooty an' choppy!! WAAAAAAAAUGH~~!!

They show the dust-chute movie again, so I'm just going to link to the video and leave it at that.

----:siren: YOU'VE SEEN THIS VIDEO BEFORE----

How do they not die?

----

Aah... what a wonderful sight. Five pilots ready to murder the hell out of some demons.

[Ogami]

Imperial Assault Force, Flower Division, launch preparations completed!

... where in the name of all things good and holy have YOU been while all this crap's been happening?

I mean, aside from dumping the theater's supply of alcohol down your throat.

[Maria]

If I recall correctly, that's where Imperial Capital Tower had just been built.

----

[Kohran]

Everythin' from th' army's encoded transmissions to teatime radio shows will get knocked right out!

Oh ho, an actual goal on the evildoers' parts? I'm impressed. :aaa:

[Ogami]

But sir, if you consider the distance from here to Shiba Park, using our Koubu, there's no way we can make it there in time...

[Ogami]

Shogeimaru?

H-how the gently caress many vehicles do you guys HAVE down here? Next you're going to tell me that we have spaceships or motorcycles or segways.

----

If we can call in airstrikes, I will be a very happy person. :colbert:

----

----

----

----

[Kohran]

Iris, yer Koubu is almost done, so jes' hang on tight here.

[Iris]

.... okay.

... the end is nigh.

[Kohran]

I'll show my cute Koubu t' everyone! A'right, Ogami-han, jes' give th' order t' move out!!

[Ogami]

I got it!

[Ogami]

Imperial Assault Force Flower Division, go forth! Our destination is Shiba Park!

----

:woop:

----

----

We're about to go launch ourselves into what will potentially become a dangerous combat zone.

Where did this come from. :cry:

[Ogami]

Of course! It suits you really well.

[Ogami]

.... okay! Everyone, board your Koubus! Prepare to sortie!

Even with the circumstances in mind, I love how he just changes the subject so goddamn fast.

Time to watch Sakura jump into her Koubu again!

----:siren: STOCK FOOTAGE IS AWESOME

You will watch this and like it, dammit.

----

And of course...

----:siren: NEW FMV :siren:----

Gigantic blimp, go forth and destroy!

----

(Reads: LAUNCH)

And Kasumi yells for all citizens to evacuate WHILE they start uprooting homes, shops, and the busiest street in Asakusa. Her tardy warning comes too late to save the tens of hundreds of people shopping, strolling, or simply living along the unfortunate street.

But that's okay. We're government!

With the trillions of feet underground that they have for this kind of stuff...

Well, storing an enormous flying fortress of doom isn't a half-bad use for it.

Shogeimaru--

-- gently caress yes.

This behemoth is probably the reason why real estate prices in the area are so cheap.

Also, the eyecatch screen! You can save, you can view stats, etc.

And this is the stats screen. I don't really want to mar the pretty text with my MS Paint skills, so here we have it. Sakura's reads something like "So-So Motivation", while the other three read "Fully Motivated!"- more or less the inverse of last battle's standings, where Sakura was drooling all over Ogami while the others just sort of went "meh".

In the lower-left hand corner is Ogami's personality bar. Red, Blue, and Yellow tallies are added up-

- it's Wood. And Ogami's abilities are climbing! Woohoo!

A more in-depth explanation of the bonuses given to each pilot. Kohran's violation of Ogami's private space gave her a HUGE boost- 8 to attack, 7 to defense, and 1 to movement, which is big, since a pilot's stronger stats cap at about the low 20's. Sumire's pool escapades sets her close behind, while Maria and Sakura are borderline "meh."

So that's about that! Next update is the second battle, and the debut of Kohran's Koubu.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 7, 2012

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

Keep up the great work. Only a few more updates until the arrival of THAT PERSON...

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good update. If memory serves, though, isn't that red gate thing with the "Launch" sign a famous landmark in Tokyo? You'd think someone might notice it getting appropriated for blimp use.

Also, you've got a broken tag for one of those video links, just FYI.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
I'm not sure if that's supposed to be the famous lantern or just a play on it, or even if there are multiple of them, but really it's a relatively minor point- I mean, you'd think someone would have noticed the immense construction required to put this insane hangar into this enormously populated area. Or the fact that thousands of people die every time they have to launch to stop the Hive of Darkness' attack on another more or less totally unoccupied area.

This is the worst 'secret' brigade ever. I mean, if they're going to give them wacky airships and railroads (incidentally, why is a blimp faster than an insane railroad train? Blimps are SLOW.) why not just base them in an abandoned warehouse somewhere on the outskirts of the city?

Oh well, I didn't come here for the logic- I learned THAT lesson way back in GA. I'm here for the action and the slow process of breaking Ogami's spirit. And it's good to see the girls already have him taking responsibility for things he was not only not responsible for but not even involved in. Soon he'll be giving them foot massages not to mention sleeping with at least half of them.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Dominic Hokage posted:

Keep up the great work. Only a few more updates until the arrival of THAT PERSON...

She, the Ultimate Gourmand.

She, the Greatest Voice.

She, the Superhuman Face-Breaker.

She, the Most Awesomely Ridiculous Love Interest Ever.

She, Kanna Kirishima.

gently caress Yes.

Bakanogami posted:

Good update. If memory serves, though, isn't that red gate thing with the "Launch" sign a famous landmark in Tokyo? You'd think someone might notice it getting appropriated for blimp use.

Also, you've got a broken tag for one of those video links, just FYI.

I'd been having trouble finding a name for the NAME written on the red gate thing, so I didn't really mention it- but yeah, I'm guessing it's pretty famous. You'd also think that they'd notice that "Launch" was painted on the back of the lantern, thus making it perfectly visible.

They're a secret brigade, but they're not necessarily a SUBTLE secret brigade.

Tag fixed. Thanks for the heads-up!

EDIT:

BlondRobin posted:

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be the famous lantern or just a play on it, or even if there are multiple of them, but really it's a relatively minor point- I mean, you'd think someone would have noticed the immense construction required to put this insane hangar into this enormously populated area. Or the fact that thousands of people die every time they have to launch to stop the Hive of Darkness' attack on another more or less totally unoccupied area.

This is the worst 'secret' brigade ever. I mean, if they're going to give them wacky airships and railroads (incidentally, why is a blimp faster than an insane railroad train? Blimps are SLOW.) why not just base them in an abandoned warehouse somewhere on the outskirts of the city?

Oh well, I didn't come here for the logic- I learned THAT lesson way back in GA. I'm here for the action and the slow process of breaking Ogami's spirit. And it's good to see the girls already have him taking responsibility for things he was not only not responsible for but not even involved in. Soon he'll be giving them foot massages not to mention sleeping with at least half of them.

As with most of humanity's inexplicable oddities, I maintain that there was an enormous amount of alcohol involved; in this case, I still think that they left the planning up to Yoneda and/or Kohran, while one or the other (or both) were completely drunk. I'm also giving them the benefit of the doubt as to the evacuation of citizens, and assuming that it all took place BEFORE the Imperial Assault Force started launching the Shogeimaru (with the emergency warning PA thrown in for dramatic results).

That's the hope, at least. Then again, it's not like logic is valued too strongly in this first game, especially given the setting.

Aaah, if only foot massages were to be the most of what Ogami will likely end up doing for the pilots under his command.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 24, 2007

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I don't actually like Maria's personality that much, but I'm still voting for her because

A: I like guns (not bombs), and

B: I am intensely curious as to how Maria's going to act once she's gone head over heels for Ogami. How big a change would we be seeing, eh?

Oh, and wunderbar thread. One of the threads what prompted me to buy an account.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Just out of curiosity, what's the ratio between running around the theater playing Mystery Date and...you know, enjoying a video game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Go forth Kohran! Crush! Kill! Destroy! :madmax:

Rose wood
Apr 4, 2006

You're a superstar!

Spirit Armor posted:

Zepplins are the best part of steampunk and that's a good zepplin! :swoon:

BlondRobin posted:

(incidentally, why is a blimp faster than an insane railroad train? Blimps are SLOW.)

They haven't installed the jump over that park yet :colbert:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does Ogami have, like, base stats of God or something? It seems like he's going to get his rear end kicked out there, at least compared to everybody else.

I guess as long as he can hang back, shield pilots, and give orders he'll be doing alright, but eeka Topeka he looks fragile.

So, Mystery Woman was supposed to head up the project until it was found that the Mystic Spirit Connection is more prevalent among women than men?

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
These last few updates are disturbingly lacking in :cry:. The solution is more Iris.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

By the way, is it possible to stick to YouTube for the videos? Google Video doesn't work in my country, so I don't get to see the airship floating around.

Pythian_Habenero
Jul 27, 2006

Hot Sephardic Love
Kohran! :neckbeard:

...yeah, that's all I got.

Although part of me is hoping Finger Blowjob Lady comes back and is a) interesting and b) a possible love interest. 'Cause we all know finger blowjobs are way cooler than explosions. Right? Right?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Spirit Armor posted:

[Iris]

I feel a powerful rival force undoing what progress I've made in his brainwashing.

[Iris]

THIS DISPLEASES ME.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Also, going through that post to pull out one little bit showed me just how much goes into making one of these posts. Thank you again.

Also, what Verbose said.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Tomn posted:

I don't actually like Maria's personality that much, but I'm still voting for her because

A: I like guns (not bombs), and

B: I am intensely curious as to how Maria's going to act once she's gone head over heels for Ogami. How big a change would we be seeing, eh?

Oh, and wunderbar thread. One of the threads what prompted me to buy an account.

... I honestly have no clue how much Maria's personality will change. I haven't actually played through her ending.

Glad you're liking the thread, though!

Verbose posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's the ratio between running around the theater playing Mystery Date and...you know, enjoying a video game.

If you mean time spent dating VS time spent fighting: it really depends on the chapter. On average, I'd say that it's split half-and-half (excluding the first chapter (which was heavy on plot and light on difficulty).

The game's pretty big on replay value, especially the dating sim aspect of it. This is roughly my third time through, and I'm STILL discovering new scenes that I'd never have guessed were there (like Sumire in the baths).

Sindai posted:

Go forth Kohran! Crush! Kill! Destroy!

Upgrade! Overclock! Self-destruct! Detonate!

Rose wood posted:

Zepplins are the best part of steampunk and that's a good zepplin!

The only thing that would make it better would be if it changed into a giant robot. :colbert:

Glazius posted:

Does Ogami have, like, base stats of God or something? It seems like he's going to get his rear end kicked out there, at least compared to everybody else.

I guess as long as he can hang back, shield pilots, and give orders he'll be doing alright, but eeka Topeka he looks fragile.

So, Mystery Woman was supposed to head up the project until it was found that the Mystic Spirit Connection is more prevalent among women than men?

As far as I recall, Ogami has decent stats (I keep forgetting to look them up in battle), but not enough to compensate for his horrible bonuses. HIS trust level bonuses are apparently strengthened by making a good impression on Yoneda and the theater girls, who I've been neglecting in favor of the pilots.

... Ogami IS fairly fragile, but he packs a decent enough punch that I throw him out there anyway. The only thing I have to watch out for is that he isn't actually KO'd- that's pretty much the only way to actually lose a stage.

Also, I have no clue what you're asking about Mystery Woman. :sweatdrop:

Dexanth posted:

These last few updates are disturbingly lacking in :cry:. The solution is more Iris.

... WHY. It's bad enough that she STILL has the highest trust levels among everyone else. :cry:

Tomn posted:

By the way, is it possible to stick to YouTube for the videos? Google Video doesn't work in my country, so I don't get to see the airship floating around.

Sure, I can do that. I'll add YouTube links for some of the older videos in a few days, too.

Pythian_Hanabero posted:

Kohran!

...yeah, that's all I got.

Although part of me is hoping Finger Blowjob Lady comes back and is a) interesting and b) a possible love interest. 'Cause we all know finger blowjobs are way cooler than explosions. Right? Right?

I think it says something about my dorkiness that I actually have to stop and think long and hard about that one.

CannonFodder posted:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Also, going through that post to pull out one little bit showed me just how much goes into making one of these posts. Thank you again.

Then I'm doing my job right. :unsmith:

Update not coming until later, like maybe in a day.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

Spirit Armor posted:

... WHY. It's bad enough that she STILL has the highest trust levels among everyone else. :cry:

Because your tears taste sweeter than honey. And because the 'I want to consume your soul' story for Iris is just flat out hilarious. I think of her as like the Antichrist manifest.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Spirit Armor posted:

Also, I have no clue what you're asking about Mystery Woman. :sweatdrop:

Well, obviously Ogami's in that position because he secretes mysterious pheromones that up Spirit Energy and as a coincidence make girls like him more.

Seeing the effect operate in reverse leads to the obvious conclusion - Finger Blowjob Woman was originally tapped for the job until the Flower Division couldn't find enough men to actually make up a unit of Koubu pilots.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Well, obviously Ogami's in that position because he secretes mysterious pheromones that up Spirit Energy and as a coincidence make girls like him more.

Seeing the effect operate in reverse leads to the obvious conclusion - Finger Blowjob Woman was originally tapped for the job until the Flower Division couldn't find enough men to actually make up a unit of Koubu pilots.

The Sakura Wars OVA actually goes into this a bit. (very minor prequel spoilers) They did originally search for soldiers with enough Spirit Energy, but didn't find any, but discovered that Sumire, who is the granddaughter of the guy in charge of making the Koubu, could move the armor, leading them to redirect their search towards young girls instead.

As far as commanders go, Ogami is actually replacing Maria, because while she was great tactically, the rest of the team didn't all want to bang her like they do Ogami, and so nobody really respected her authority.

As for her identity, I'm actually kind of confused. I haven't played any of the games, but having watched some of the anime I took away that she was just kind of their talent scout/another member of the command structure, like Yoneda, and I have no clue why they would play her up as a mysterious finger sucker

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Bakanogami posted:

:words::hf::ssh:

All of this constitutes more excellent reasons to vote for Sumire and not Maria. :colbert:

Pythian_Habenero
Jul 27, 2006

Hot Sephardic Love

Ipsrit Ermor posted:

I think it says something about my dorkiness that I actually have to stop and think long and hard about that one.

*snork* Well, to be fair, finger blowjobs are not actual blowjobs...

...please tell me you don't think blowjobs rank lower than explosions?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Thuryl posted:

All of this constitutes more excellent reasons to vote for Sumire and not Maria. :colbert:
Anything that involves more women piloting mecha is always a good thing, and that means Sumire is a good thing.

How many times can I vote for her?

(also subtle bump to get to next page because holy macaroni it takes forever)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

So, does mystery finger blowjob lady win the award for most bizarre hairstyle so far? Also, bumping for new page.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I just read everything so far.

This game is disturbingly wonderful. Votes for Sumire times like five? Can I do that?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Tomn posted:

So, does mystery finger blowjob lady win the award for most bizarre hairstyle so far? Also, bumping for new page.

It really is a weird looking haircut. It almost look like she's got a receding hairline. :psyduck:

Hence, my vote remains with Maria or Sumire.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Dexanth posted:

Because your tears taste sweeter than honey. And because the 'I want to consume your soul' story for Iris is just flat out hilarious. I think of her as like the Antichrist manifest.

Just wait 'til Iris gets her very own instrument of mass destruction Koubu. :gonk:

Glazius posted:

... I have to say, that's probably the single greatest theory I've seen for Sakura Wars, ever.

I approve. :patriot:

Bakanogami posted:

:words:

This works, too.

As to why they'd make her a finger-sucker: because they can.

Interestingly enough, I think I've seen the "oh dear, you've cut your finger, I must suck the cut to make sure it doesn't get infected" thing elsewhere, also from older-sister-type characters. Maybe it's a dating sim thing?

Thuryl posted:

:crossarms:

Pythian_Hanabero posted:

*snork* Well, to be fair, finger blowjobs are not actual blowjobs...

...please tell me you don't think blowjobs rank lower than explosions?

This might just be due to the fact that I saw a drawing on 4chan that consists of a young girl tearing a man's scrotum in half with her teeth, so. :gonk:

CannonFodder posted:

Anything that involves more women piloting mecha is always a good thing, and that means Sumire is a good thing.

How many times can I vote for her?

(also subtle bump to get to next page because holy macaroni it takes forever)

Once, curse you! :argh:

Tomn posted:

I think this is about as weird as it gets.

... at least, as far as the FIRST game goes. :tinfoil:

ManSedan posted:

I just read everything so far.

This game is disturbingly wonderful. Votes for Sumire times like five? Can I do that?

Glad you enjONCE! :argh:

Semiru posted:

It really is a weird looking haircut. It almost look like she's got a receding hairline. :psyduck:

Hence, my vote remains with Maria or Sumire.

I dunno, it just looks like a bun-thing to me. :psyduck:

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 28, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

((UPDATE: PART 1/4))

----:siren: BATTLE INTRO VIDEO :siren:----

Google Version!

YouTube Version!

For voices and amazing technocolor motion video.
----

TAISHO ERA, 12th YEAR: MAY
SHIBA PARK

Quite possibly one of the most retarded parks in the world. It's basically the tower, two roads, and a series of steep cliffs that serve only to ensure that pedestrians will fall and break their necks if they're not careful.

----
]

Looks like SOMEONE didn't get the evacuation order in time. Shame on you, local city law enforcement. :colbert:

As the civvies run for their lives, we get a nice, long look at the gun-type Wakiji, equipped with some kind of ridiculously awesome circular ammo reloader.

And as for that monstrous fiend, Tenkai...

... he doesn't seem to really give a flying poo poo about the all-important Imperial Capital Tower that's sitting behind him.

It makes as much sense to me as it does to you guys, believe me. :smith: It's just a chant, as far as I can tell.

Good god, what ISN'T steam-powered nowadays? Even this demonic thingamabob has some kind of engine behind it.

... I don't blame Tenkai for ignoring the Tower anymore. I mean, he's sitting here with some kinda perfectly awesome demonic toy, AND drills are a man's romance, don't'cha know?

----
[Satan]

... Lord Tenkai, you're facing the food stalls.

[Tenkai]

Really? Oh, my, you're quite right; I appear to have forgotten my spectacles again. Satan, be a dear and go fetch them for me, will you?

[Satan]

No.

[Tenkai]

DO IT OR I'LL CURSE THE REMNANTS OF YOUR THRICE-DAMNED SOUL INTO THE ABYSS, YOU FOOL!!

[Satan]

... yessir.

[Tenkai]

That's my boy.
----

[??? (Totally Kohran)]

Hold it right there!

BLIIIMP!!

... it's just not the same. :smith: Dammit, Rolling Thunder, why did you have to be so awesome?

I certainly HOPE that you guys remember which person rides which Koubu!

It's not too hard- not only does each pilot wear uniforms that're the same color as their Koubu, but they're each equipped with their own trademark weapons and armor, too.

Hell, back in the older games, they didn't have all of this fancy-pants customization- they were all recolors. It was like taking a battalion of NPC Zakus and trying to differentiate them using giant buckets of paint.

I'm running out of things to talk abo- OH HO, NEW KOUBU.

And finally, all those weeks of practice at jumping down from great heights (without breaking a limb) have finally paid off for Ogami.

CONTINUED ON THE NEXT PAGE'S VERY FIRST POST.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 7, 2012

• Locked thread