Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

PunkBoy posted:

Huh. For some reason I thought the Yamazaki=Satan was an anime-only plot point. Considering I haven't heard of this series until this LP, I have no idea why I thought that.

Also, what is the exact status of the Sakura Wars franchise? Are there more games being made? (Besides the handheld game that was talked about pages and pages ago) Or is it just manga and anime being made now? Or is the series done entirely?

Oddly, they barely touch on Yamazaki beyond name-dropping until 2.

There's been no main sequel announced, but they've been working on a spinoff game called Kouma for like, 3-4 years now. It's supposed to be a more horror-style game from what I've read, but there's still very little info about it. I'd honestly thought they quietly canceled it for a while, since they announced it at the same time they first announced Sakura Taisen V and Sakura Taisen V Episode Zero, and those have both been out for years now.

Michie Tomizawa, Sumire's voice actor, retired after they did the PS2 remake of Sakura Wars 1 that Spirit Armor is currently playing. For that reason, they never made a similar remake of 2, so when Spirit Armor gets to that game, you'll be treated to some lovely old-fashioned Saturn version battle system graphics, possibly upscaled to Dreamcast quality if you're lucky.

I think the fandom for the general series has been winding down since 4. My guess is that Kouma will be the last major console game made for the series for at least several years to come.

Maybe I'll pull out the Saturn and Dreamcast sometime, and play some Hanagumi Taisen Columns 1 and 2 to keep things interesting when Spirit Armor's busy.

Edit: drat. I tried using my Saturn's R/F hookup with my video capture card, but for some reason it registers no input.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 5, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Hokuto posted:

Michie Tomizawa, Sumire's voice actor, retired after they did the PS2 remake of Sakura Wars 1 that Spirit Armor is currently playing. For that reason, they never made a similar remake of 2, so when Spirit Armor gets to that game, you'll be treated to some lovely old-fashioned Saturn version battle system graphics, possibly upscaled to Dreamcast quality if you're lucky.

It's funny you should mention that because Tomizawa-san guest-starred(?) in the final kayou show "Shin Ai Yueni" as well as "Budoukan" (which I have yet to see) so I can't see why she might've turn down doing a remake of ST 2.

Hokuto posted:

I think the fandom for the general series has been winding down since 4. My guess is that Kouma will be the last major console game made for the series for at least several years to come.

Or, y'know, if they're smart, they'll make an English-port of all the games and get more people hooked on it :v:

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.
Now that I'm back home and can actually see pictures good, I got the portraits from the last update fixed. The NEXT update should be up by Thursday, at the very latest. Audience participation voting will happen. Please do not make any election jokes.

That's about it, and I should probably go to bed and sl--

ZeeToo posted:

I confess, I really did double-check to see if the Demon Hunters line was meant to be italicized before I got the explanation.

This game...

Pfft, so Sakura's the most recent heiress to a long line of people who spec anti-demon abilities. There's nothing odd about THAT, it just means that she's a walking Deus Ex Machina that can be tapped at any time to ensure that the good guys won't get KILL BY DEMONS.

Besides, it's not like everyone else on the team ISN'T hideously overpowered in odd and highly unlikely ways!

harperdc posted:

also yes. As if this game wasn't crazy enough, it's getting even more ridiculous. Awesome.

If there's one good thing that should always, always be said about the Sakura Wars series, it's that it never disappoints in this regard.

Trust me on this. It's anime. Mecha anime. Steampunk mecha anime. Steampunk mecha dating sim anime game.

... and so on into infinity.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The writers clearly just stopped giving a poo poo about halfway through.

Naw, they planned this from the beginning. There's a reference to Sakura's old man early on in the game (a picture in Yoneda's office, IIRC), and there's some amount of foreshadowing.

Also, your statement assumes that they ever gave a poo poo (about common sense) in the FIRST place. :v:

Glazius posted:

Are we actually very close to the end, or is this just setting up for Satan's Revenge?

At the very least, we're MUCH more than halfway through. Rejoice!

Also, this chapter doesn't have any more Satan appearances, take that as you will.

Hokuto posted:

Lots Of Stuff

Yeah, basically. The main series usually sees a new game every two to three years, and the last game (Sakura Wars V) came out in 2005, so... I sincerely doubt there's going to be anything, at least not for a long time. I have no clue about the Kouma game or about any of the other spinoffs that were supposed to be made.

The manga seems to be going pretty strong, at least.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I couldn't get my Saturn to work with video capture, but I got my Dreamcast to work with it!

Prepare for intense drama in Hanagumi Taisen Columns 2.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Hokuto posted:

I couldn't get my Saturn to work with video capture, but I got my Dreamcast to work with it!

Prepare for intense drama in Hanagumi Taisen Columns 2.

Hell yes, I strongly approve of hardcore steampunk Columns-ing. :kamina:

I love that game, especially since the story mode mimics the original game(s) exactly... except for the part where the game cuts away after the girls challenge each other to a bout of beat the unholy poo poo out of the opponent and replaces it with cute happy puzzle gaming.

... if I remember correctly. It's been a while. :v:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Seeing that picture makes me think that Sumire just decided to push Iris down a flight of stairs.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Welp, just dug up the old Sakura Wars VMU and dusted it off for some good old-fashioned Columns action.

While Spirit Armor's putting together the rest of what I imagine are some large updates for the rest of this chapter's content, here is a quick story playthrough of Hanagumi Taisen Columns 2.

This game has a lot of different modes. There's 1-player, which is split into six separate modes, then 2-player versus mode. For this, I'm going with the 1-player "story mode," where you choose a character and follow a little side story for them.

The other main interesting mode is Shonen Red mode, where the heroines compete for the lead role in a play about Shonen Red, a fiery young hero who fights the evil Skull-X. Everyone who you beat in this mode gets stuck as a different extra or villain, with pictures for all of them.

For this story mode playthrough, I've picked Sumire because she's my favorite and generally pretty funny to follow. Please ignore the four characters shown which will not be introduced until future games.

After choosing her, you hear her voice saying, "Where is this? Who am I?" Hmm, wonder what that's all about.

On to the story, then!

So Ogami's hanging out in the theatre, minding his own business.

Ogami: I think I'll go out for a stroll in Ginza...

Sumire: *sigh*

Ogami: Hey, Sumire. What's got you so preoccupied?

Sumire: Who might you be?

Ogami: Eh?

Sumire: I'm sorry. Who were you again?

Sumire: My, what a polite introduction. How very courteous of you. Actually, I am in a bit of a bind.

LOST MEMORIES

Sumire: Yes... I can remember my own name, but not very much else...

Ogami: (What should I do...?)

Ogami: Well, for starters, let's go to the infirmary!

Sakura: Ah, Ogami, Sumire.

Sumire: Just one moment... Who is this person?

Ogami: Sakura Shinguji. She's a comrade, and another member of the Flower Division.

Sakura: What's wrong, Ogami? You sound so formal.

Ogami: Thing is...

Sakura: Eh? Amnesia?

Sumire: Yes, that...

Ogami: Yeah, I was just about to take her to the infirmary...

Sakura: The infirmary's too simple to deal with that! We should take her to a larger hospital.

Sumire: Sakura... Are you that concerned about me?

Sakura: Of course I am! For THAT Sumire to behave so nicely...

Sumire: What did you say?

Sakura: Er...

Sumire: The way you say "THAT" and "nicely," it sounds as though you're implying I'm a conceited woman.

Sakura: Well, um...

Ogami: Sakura!

Sakura: Uh... No, that is... Well...

Sumire: Besides, I find the idea of such a country bumpkin girl being a friend of mine quite disagreeable!

Sumire: Ohohohohoho... Did I touch on a sensitive subject?

Ogami: (Yup, even amnesiac, that's Sumire all right...)

Sakura: You take that back!

Sumire: If that's what you want, then why don't you try making me?

Ogami: Hey now, Sumire...

Sakura: Okay, then I will. I challenge you, Sumire!

SHOWDOWN TO THE DEATH

Here's where combat comes in. Combat in this game is strongly reminiscent of Puzzle Fighter, except that instead of performing an attack with every combo, you build up a charge meter. When it reaches level 1, you can either attack (drop gems), charge up to a higher level, or defend (erase rows of your own gems). If your meter is topped out, instead of charging, you get the option of dropping a Puzzle Fighter style crash gem that eliminates all gems of that color.

Here, you're given six different modes of attack. Each character has different stats and drop patterns that make them work better or worse with particular modes. It basically breaks down like this:

Forest: Well-rounded basic mode.
Fire: Lets you charge up to level 4.
Wind: Charges faster.
Mountain: Gives a stronger defense, ie, gets rid of more rows of gems, I think.

Lightning: Fast, aggressive mode, unlocked through gameplay.
Shadow: Charges fast, and charges straight up to level 3. I use this for every fight.

Sumire has three stats displayed, as well.

Attack: She's low-ranking here, meaning she doesn't drop very many gems unless you charge a lot first.
Time: She's high-ranking here, meaning that her attack gems will last longer before becoming removable.
Defense: She's got an average rank here, meaning that her ability to erase rows of gems isn't particularly high or low.

Other characters have stats that give them notably different styles. For example, Iris has an insane defense stat which, when combined with Mountain mode, allows her to basically outlast anything you do. If she's being played by someone competent, then every time you come close to filling her screen, you'll see her erase something like 80% of the rows on her screen. We ban Iris+Mountain from 2-player mode for a reason. If both players pick it, god help you.

*after a horrible beating*

Sakura: Ogami...

Ogami: Sakura, don't worry about it.

Ogami: She's lost her memory...

Sakura: But...

Ogami: Sorry, but would you mind gathering everyone in the infirmary?

Sakura: All right.

Sumire: What were you two whispering about?

Ogami: That's not important. Sumire, let's go to the infirmary. I'm concerned about your body...

Yes, Ogami, I'm sure you are.

Sumire: Yes...

*in infirmary*

Ogami: ...and that's the story.

Maria: I do recall precedents of people who suffer short-term memory lapse after dealing with some kind of shock...

Kouran: All right! Leave this to me!

Ogami: Ah, Kouran...

Orihime: She ran off looking pretty eager there.

Sumire: Everyone... If you are here on the basis of curiosity, then I would like you to leave.

Maria: Don't be ridiculous, Sumire. Everyone's really worried about you.

Ogami: She's right. Everyone came here because they were worried about you, didn't they?

Sumire: I'm sorry... You're right.

Sumire: Now I've grown quite curious what could have caused me to lose my memories.

Maria: ...Captain, maybe we should try to ascertain how much of her memory is gone...

Ogami: Yeah, we should.

Ogami: Sumire, I have a question for you...

Sumire: I don't mind, but... I'm not in the best of moods, so please keep it brief.

Ogami: Right, got it. Okay, then, let me ask you...

Sumire: As I recall, Father is a movie star, and Mother is a zaibatsu representative...

Iris: Sumire, you got them backwards!

Sumire: Ah, but I was able to at least remember the general idea.

Ogami: (Okay then, next question...)

(I missed capping the window, but my options were, "What's your birthday?" "What's your age?" and "What's your sign?")

Ogami: Do you remember what sign you are?

Sumire: My zodiac sign? Let's see, my birthday is April 8th, so...

Sumire: Yes, it's Aries!

Maria: Captain, why not try asking her about something other than herself? Like, say, the Flower Division?

Sumire: What is this Flower Division, exactly?

(Missed the cap again, but my options were "Answer seriously" and "Answer comedically." I picked the former.)

Ogami: The Imperial Floral Assault Troupe, Flower Division. It's an anti-demon squadron established in secrecy.

Sumire: You're making this too complex. It's difficult to follow...

Iris: Iris couldn't understand that either.

Ogami: Well, at least we know you have some memories still.

Maria: Yes. Aside from the past few years here, she seems to recall things clearly.

Sumire: Thank you. I feel as though I could regain my memories now.

Ogami: Now we just need to figure out what caused the memory loss to start with... Sumire, any ideas?

Sumire: Well, I'm not sure...

Maria: For the time being, let's see if there are any external injuries. Sumire, lay down over there.

Sumire: I'm in your care...

I didn't record any of the other columns sequences since they were really more of the same, but this one was a puzzle sequence, where I had to make my way through a bunch of gems to four red shining gems that I had to get rid of within two and a half minutes. I failed this repeatedly, but the game lets you retry as many times as you want.

*after solving a red gem puzzle*

Maria: It probably means something external caused a temporary memory lapse.

Ogami: I see...

I'm trying to pick the common sense answers here. Ogami's sane. Honest.

Ogami: Okay, let's hurry to the hospital. We can't leave Sumire like this.

Sumire: You're worried about me, aren't you?

Iris: Hey, Sumire. You forgot stuff that happened recently, right?

Sumire: Well, er... yes.

Iris: Then you don't remember about your favorite teacup, right?

Sumire: Teacup? What do you mean?

Iris: Oh, good... Iris accidentally broke it a little while ago.

Sumire: What did you say? You mean my favorite Wedwoodge
(sic) cup?

Iris: Y-you remembered...

Ogami: Sumire! Did your memory...

Sumire: It didn't come back... But I at least remember that teacup.

Iris: G-good for you! Right, Sumire...?

Sumire: It is not good in the least! Iris, was it? Sit right there!

*after a battle which I imagine was supposed to be Sumire lecturing Iris, or possibly, as suggested in the post above, Sumire tripping Iris with a polearm and sending her tumbling down the stairs, which would be pretty hilarious*

Iris: Waah.. I'm sorry!

Sumire: As long as you understand.

Kouran: I'm back!

Ogami: Did you make another weird piece of junk?

Kouran: Callin' things weird pieces of junk is rude...

Orihime: That's something you developed, right?

Kouran: Yeah! It's a memory refresher mecha... I call it, "Mr. Refresh!"

Orihime: Are you going to use that to hit Sumire over the head or something?

Kouran: You betcha!

Sumire: P-please stop this joking around... I am feeling seriously troubled!

Kouran: But I'm seriously worried about ya, Sumire.

Sumire: Hitting me with that thing won't bring back my memories. It will just injure me!

Kouran: Now, now, Sumire... Just pretend ya got tricked.

Kouran: Yer not gettin' off that easy!

*after another battle*

Kouran: Aah! My Mr. Refresh...

Sumire: Ohohohoho... How terrible, it broke.

Kouran: It broke? You mean YOU broke it!

Ogami: Come on, both of you...

Sumire: Everyone... Do you really wish for me to recover?

Ogami: Of course we do, Sumire. Right, everyone?

Orihime: Certainly! I want you to go back to the normal Sumire.

Ogami: Orihime...

Sumire: Orihime, yes? You really care that much for me?

Orihime: Of course I do. Without the ticker clipper, what's the theatre going to do?

Sumire: Ticket... clipper?

Ogami: Hey, now...

Orihime: Yes, that! You were a ticket clipper, Sumire.

Sumire: Don't be ridiculous!

Orihime: Oh? Can you deny it with no memories?

Sumire: W-well, that is...

Orihime: You were also my bag-carrier.

Sumire: Ogami, is this true? Was I... a ticket clipper and a bag-carrier?

Orihime: Ensign, are you going to take Sumire's side here?

Ogami: Of course I am! I can't ignore someone toying with a sick person!

Sumire: Ogami...

Maria: Orihime, you're taking the joke too far.

Orihime: But memory loss is proof of a weak self-conciousness! It's a manifestation of a lack of self-confidence. If one was confident, they could get knocked all over the place and still never lose sight of themselves.

Ogami: (That's pretty messed-up logic...)

Sumire: Orihime may have a point with what she says.

Ogami: Sumire?

Sumire: However, I, Sumire Kanzaki, shall not back down meekly!

Orihime: How quaint. You want to fight me?

Sumire: Why don't you see for yourself whether I am a weak person or not?

Ogami: Hey... you're missing the point.

Orihime: Okay! Then, a duel it is!

*after battle*

Sumire: Ohohohoho... I win, don't I.

Orihime: Non, non, non. I went easy on you, since you were sick.

Sumire: Everyone... I've made you all worried...

Sumire: Even without my memories, the fact does not change that I am Sumire Kanzaki.

Sumire: So, even if I remain like this, do not treat me any differently.

Ogami: Sumire...

Sumire: Now, everyone... let us return upstairs.

Kanna: Hey! Captain, you here?

Sumire: Ack!

Kanna: Ah, sorry...

Sumire: Kanna! Be careful when opening doors!

Kanna: What's your problem, Sumire? It's your fault for standing there like an idiot!

Sumire: What did you say?

Ogami: S-Sumire...? Did you just say Kanna's name?

Sumire: Ensign? What are you talking about?

Maria: Did the door hitting her head...

Iris: Bring back her memory?

Kouran: I knew my theory wasn't wrong!

Orihime: Oh, for goodness's sake.

Sumire: Did you not also hit me with a door in the second-floor hallway?

Kouran: Yeah, but since Kanna fixed it, all's well that ends well.

Sumire: It's your fault for doing everything so roughly, Kanna. Overpowered gorilla women are such...

Kanna: What'd you say, cactus lady!?

Ogami: Yeesh...

*ending credits*

"Yes, I'm best just the way I am! Ohohohohohohohoho!"

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 5, 2008

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Just another day in the theater, I guess. :laugh:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Hokuto posted:

Sumire has three stats displayed, as well.
Time: She's high-ranking here, meaning that her attack gems will last longer before becoming removable.
Heh, so her speed is finally useful for a change.

quote:

Kohran's in good form as usual.
How DO you cause a concussion just by opening a door anyway?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

veekie posted:

Kohran's in good form as usual.
How DO you cause a concussion just by opening a door anyway?

It's not so much by opening it, it's by opening it while a ditz walks right into it.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Guess she was just moving too slowly, as usual.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Keep in mind, Kanna was the one opening the door. I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't get a concussion, walking into that.

RNGen
Oct 20, 2008
Who is this Orihime and why is she awesome? Not only is she exploiting Surmire during a moment of vulnerability, she's also kicking Ogami's useless rear end onto the curb as well.

[Ogami]:
But... but ticket-taking is MY job!

[Surmire]:
Not anymore, bitch! Get the gently caress out!

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Backhand posted:

Keep in mind, Kanna was the one opening the door. I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't get a concussion, walking into that.

Iris, she skips doors.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

RNGen posted:

Who is this Orihime and why is she awesome? Not only is she exploiting Surmire during a moment of vulnerability, she's also kicking Ogami's useless rear end onto the curb as well.

She's a member of the original Star Division that piloted the Eisen-Kleids. You'll see a lot more of her in 2. Her special attacks involve rollerskates and lasers.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I think you could probably stand to spoiler all of that, Hokuto. I seem to remember Spirit Armor saying he didn't want much chatter about future games.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's a point that's made at the very beginning of the second game, and entirely unrelated to the first game, hardly spoiler material. The other characters, I'm not touching.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 5, 2008

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
If I remember correctly, we still have quite a ways to go with this game so I don't really see the harm in a basic intro when Orihime won't be officially introduced for another couple of months(?) at the very least.

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006
a front row seat to the gun show

Hokuto posted:

The other main interesting mode is Shonen Red mode, where the heroines compete for the lead role in a play about Shonen Red, a fiery young hero who fights the evil Skull-X. Everyone who you beat in this mode gets stuck as a different extra or villain, with pictures for all of them.

Oh, I've seen some pictures from this game, with the girls in various costumes.

Click here for the full 632x476 image.

This one features:
Kanna as the hero, Shonen Red (normally played by Kouran)
Sumire as his sweetheart, Yukawa Masae (normally played by Sakura)
Kouran as the villainess, Crimson Lizard (normally played by Sumire)
Sakura as the villain, Skull X (normally played by Maria)

I assume they're the win screens? I would love to see more of them with different combinations of characters, hint hint. :3:

Incidentally, all these characters appear in the third Kayou Show, Benitokage as well as volumes three and four of the Gouka Kenran OAV series.

Benitokage is my favorite of the live-action musicals. Kanna and Sumire are the best couple. :swoon:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Backhand posted:

No one has ever explained to Kanna that what her father did every time they went into a building with Western-style doors was not mandatory reflex training that all the Japanese have mastered even before they go to school.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Well, since you asked nicely. :)

I recorded more fights this time, to give people an idea of how close some fights can get, and to showcase some of the catchy music. I particularly like Iris's theme in this game a lot.

The Imperial Floral Operetta Troupe, Flower Division, is putting on a production of the popular serial story, "The Amazing Shonen Red."

The lead role of Shonen Red changes every day, and with "daily role-switching" becoming popular, season passes have been selling like hotcakes.

The Grand Imperial Theatre, where guests gather every day... Today, behind that stage, another intense battle for the lead role has broken out...!!

This time around I picked Maria, my second-favorite.

Her first challenger was Sakura. I started to record the fight, but had to pause it, then got my rear end kicked, so I gave up on the recording part.

When you lose, you're stuck with the role that the other person would otherwise get. You get an option box with "Continue" and "End." Guess which one I picked!

Next came Sumire, who fought gallantly but got her rear end kicked pretty hard.

In my fights, I like to stick to a classic Puzzle Fighter strategy of filling up two columns so that I have an easy source of gems to link at any time, and to reduce the number of gems that get dropped on me when an opponent attacks.

One thing I noticed this time around was that when I topped off the columns, they didn't "erase" the gems above the ones at the top of the screen - when the columns dwindled down, the gems omitted at the top actually came down with the rest.

FIGHT

Kouran came along after that. Her strongest stat is Time, which means that any gems she drops on you will last a good, long while. Fighting her can be a pain.

FIGHT

As mentioned above, Kouran normally gets the lead role.

Next up, Kanna. As one might guess, Kanna has the strongest Attack stat in the game. She combined this with the Fire style, which charges up to level 4 but doesn't allow for defense at all. This made her potentially incredibly deadly, so my only hope was to take her out before she charged all the way up to 4. And I did.

FIGHT

Orihime came next. She's an aggressive type, but easier to deal with than Kanna.

FIGHT

Maria's the one who normally plays Skull X.

Next up came Leni.

Meet Leni Milchstrasse, the other new pilot addition in Sakura Wars 2. As you can see, very middling stats all around, but has another one of my favorite themes in this game.

FIGHT

If you watched the fight, I barely, BARELY won it by the skin of my teeth. Now Leni gets to be the damsel in distress.

Iris came along and challenged me next. Not a whole lot of people left at this point, and Iris didn't exactly go with her strong suit.

FIGHT

She also loses the fight by being a complete retard.

So, that's everyone. But wait - Here comes a new challenger!!

FIGHT PLUS ENDING

"I'm a little nervous about being Shonen Red, but I'll do all I can to fill the role."

"Skull X, I've already figured out your weakness! Say your prayers!"

"So long as I'm in the imperial capital, evil will never prosper! Shonen Red has arrived!"

They do a cute little credits scene for all of the actors. It's the same images as the ones above, so I just showed the last one:

Maria Tachibana: Shonen Red

Maria is such a badass. If I was evil, I'd be fleeing across the seas if I saw that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Why the gently caress are they writing "Shonen Red" backwards in Japanese? This must be an old-school Japanese quirk that I don't know of...

(I should have stopped trying to figure out moonspeak long ago. Great work with the footage and highlights from the game Hokuto :))

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

They fight over who gets to be Team Rocket's top agent?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

harperdc posted:

Why the gently caress are they writing "Shonen Red" backwards in Japanese? This must be an old-school Japanese quirk that I don't know of...

You'll actually see this in a lot of Spirit Armor's images with background text as well. Sakura Wars is quirky about insisting on writing everything in the setting as right-to-left and backwards (ie, b becomes d), even though their normal speech windows are still read left-to-right. I've never seen anything else do the right-to-left thing for horizontal text. I'm guessing that's just the way it was back then, though the backwards part, I have no idea on.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 6, 2008

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

:swoon:
Well, it looks like Kohran has set off another explosion...in my heart.

This game looks rather neat, even though I'm not exactly a fan of puzzle games.

Son Conan fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 6, 2008

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...so they drew Iris as the femme fatale.

:gonk::hf::pedo:

Though I do kinda like the whole "potluck casting" idea. With a good enough troupe that would be worth coming back to night after night.

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006
a front row seat to the gun show

Hokuto posted:

You'll actually see this in a lot of Spirit Armor's images with background text as well. Sakura Wars is quirky about insisting on writing everything in the setting as right-to-left and backwards (ie, b becomes d), even though their normal speech windows are still read left-to-right. I've never seen anything else do the right-to-left thing for horizontal text. I'm guessing that's just the way it was back then, though the backwards part, I have no idea on.

Before World War Two, horizontal text (yokogaki) ran from right to left, although the characters themselves were not written "backwards"; to use an analogue with Roman letters, the word STAIRCASE would be written ESACRIATS, not ƎƧAϽЯIATƧ.

In the post-war era, the Westerized left-to-right writing style was adopted. Since the events of Sakura Taisen occur during a fictionalized "Taishō" era (1912-1926), the old-fashioned writing style is used in background scenes for chronological flavor (but not for the speech windows themselves, since Japanese gamers of the 20th century are accustomed to reading in the opposite direction).

RNGen
Oct 20, 2008
Is there a reason that books are still read from what westerners would consider back to front?

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

[Ogami]

(Alright. Sittin' in my Koubu, twiddlin' my thumbs, and currently en route to a potential war zone that's filled with Wakiji in order to take on a demonic overlord who's filled with poo poo.)

[Ogami]

(And... okay, so it turns out that the Imperial Assault Force's leadership is missing a few nuts and bolts in its already full-of-bats belfry...)

[Ogami]

(-- but that isn't as bad as it COULD be, because for chrissakes, the Hive of Darkness doesn't even HAVE a belfry! Ha ha ha.)

[Ogami]

(... haaah. Welp, at least I can take comfort from the fact that no matter how the battle goes, it'll all end here.)

[Ogami]

(At least I'll always have you, onboard guidance steam-powered computer thing. And while I'm sure you're loaded to the brim with helpful in-combat targeting systems and information-gathering programs, this screensaver is all I need.)

[Ogami]

(... GOD I wish I knew how to operate this thing. How'd you get to the Koubu's manual again? Ctrl-alt-d--)

[Ogami]

Well, THAT'S not right. I-- waitasec.

[Ogami]

... Jean-Paul? What are you DOING?

[Ogami]

I'm... I'm fine, thank you very much. Is that it?

[Ogami]

... really?

[Ogami]

Well, um...

----

----

[Ogami]

Kind of, yeah. Kind of a lot.

[Ogami]

... is this bad?

[Ogami]

[Ogami]

You're not a very cute bear.

[Ogami]

Oh god. What are the I's doing now?

[Ogami]

[Ogami]

Ooooh.

[Ogami]

So, wait, WHY are they dying? And how many of them are LEFT?

[Ogami]

... how does that count as "killing themselves"? Because if they're anything like MY Flower Division--

[Ogami]

... is that bad?

[Ogami]

O... kay, so--

[Ogami]

Oh god, this--!

[Ogami]

... sounds like the plot to a bad movie. So, uh, am I going to turn into a superpowered monstrosity, with the combined strength of an infinite number of myselves?

[Ogami]

What? WHAT?

----

[Ogami]

... ouch.

[Ogami]

Goddamn. Can't you even give me one little hint?

[Ogami]

"Could be"? "Something like that"?

[Ogami]

Wha-- now my HEAD could explode? Are you telling me that my head is Schrodinger's Cat!?

[Ogami]

Oh god I get the picture. Is that it?

[Ogami]

... wow. Well, thanks, I guess.

[Ogami]

Hey, wait a second, how the hell do you KNOW all thi--

[Ogami]

Stupid mascot animal. Right then, it looks like we don't have any direction to go from here but DOWN, so geroni-fuckin'-mo.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 7, 2013

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

--------
:siren:VIDEO ALERT!:siren:

The prelude to the battle! It's a very short video mainly because this is a very short update.

GameVee Version!
--------

NIHONBASHI

Wakiji!

Everywhere!!

----

Aaaaaand it just figures that they're not even fighting. They're loitering.

... they just want to be layabout citizens, too. :smith:

It's the Shogeimaru, which made its journey completely unopposed because Tenkai didn't think to put up any sort of anti-air defense, despite KNOWING that the Imperial Assault Force uses a BLIMP, AND despite having access to bazooka-toting Wakiji.

Oh Tenkai.

Blimp! Camera! LIGHTS1

----

Putting a spotlight on your troops during a nighttime battle is generally a very bad idea. It is, at the very least, not standard military practice to go "HEY HEY WE'RE OVER HERE SHOOT RIGHT AT US WHILE WE'RE BLINDED BY THE LIGHT"

Granted, this could just be Ayame's way of getting back at Ogami after all his mouthing off. :v:

----
[Sakura]

Shall we do it?

----

----
[Ogami]

Let's do it.

----

SAKURA! ("Worshipping the ground that Ogami-san's been walking on since 1923!")

SUMIRE! ("Ready the spotliWAIT I AM NOT YET DONE--")

MARIA! ("The military strategist in me is currently crying tears of blood.")

KANNA! ("Demons are sealed down here!? HOT DIGGITY DOG, LET'S START DIGGING!!")

IRIS! ("I'm the little sister you've always wanted! Isn't that right... Oniichan?")

KOHRAN! ("'Cause mass destruction's jes' a fancy way of dismantlin' everythin' in a forty-yard radius!")

SHWING!

O!

GA!

MI! ("My God... I-I thought I'd never see the spotlight ever again...! I'm not crying!")

And BOY has it arrived.

----

WARNING SIGNAL!

----
[Ogami]

Oh my god, it's Sumire!!

[Sumire]

... further to the left, you horrendous excuse for a human being.

----

----

----

[Ogami]

The three that remain will stay here and hold off the enemy!

----
[Ogami]

We're going to need a strong group on defense, and I seriously believe that covering our backs will easily be the most important task.

[Ogami]

So who's going to volunteer to stay behind?

----

[Sakura]

Ogami-san! I'll go with you, Ogami-san!

[Sumire]

Ensign... you would not dare leave me behind for such a grand scene, correct?

[Iris]

Oniichan... Iris is going with you, Oniichan!

[Maria]

Captain. Please allow me to accompany you to the final battle.

[Kohran]

Ogami-han. We're finally at th' last battle, ain't we. An' I'm full up on fightin' spirit, too!

[Kanna]

Captain! Hey, take me with you to this fight, too!

----
[Ogami]

... christ, you guys, don't you all volunteer at once, now.

[Sakura]

Of course. We're all trusting you to make the right decision.

[Sakura]

Isn't that right, my lord?

[Ogami]

Urk.

[Sumire]

But of course he will! After all that we have been through, Ogawa has my full and complete trust.

[Ogami]

It's Ogami. Sumire-kun, it's been months, don't tell me that you still don't remember my na--

[Sumire]

I am the main character, after all, and the Ensign is my unintelligent sidekick-slash-lackey.

[Iris]

No! Oniichan is MY lackey! Isn't that right, Jean-Paul?

[Jean-Paul]

(I'm begging you. Leave me out of this.)

[Iris]

See? Jean-Paul agrees!

[Jean-Paul]

(Gosh darn it with a cherry on top, woman.)

[Ogami]

... r-right. Well, anyways--

[Maria]

Do not put undue pressure on the Captain. The mission comes above all else, and we don't have time for this silly banter.

[Ogami]

Maria...

[Maria]

Now, Captain, hurry up and choose the remaining two pilots who will accompany the both of us.

[Ogami]

... son of a bitch, not you too.

[Kohran]

Ahahaha, it's jes' like us t' start freakin' out over somethin' like this, ain't it?

[Kohran]

Anyways, what'll it be, Mr. Captain, sir? Who's gonna be th' last one t' come on board Kohran's Human Upgradin' Expedition?

[Ogami]

No, seriously, you guys, you're starting to run this into the groun--

[Kanna]

Welp, that's settled! The three of us are going down to bust Tenkai's head open like a can of cat food, so the rest of you guys just--

[Ogami]

I HAVEN'T DECIDED ON ANYTHING YET!!

[Kanna]

Oh.

[Kanna]

Alright, whoever wins this next arm-wrestling competition will get to go with the Captain! Ayame's got the medical pods already set up and all.

[Ogami]

For chrissakes, people, gimme a moment to just think on this!!

----

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 7, 2013

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Right, as some of you folks may have guessed... well. Remember that little blurb that I posted at the very beginning of the thread? The one where I said that YOU shall decide which of the six girls will Ogami's top pilot and/or romantic interest?

Yeah, that's right, it's time to vote, under the flimsy veneer of helping Ogami choose an attack team. :colbert:

:siren:VOTE ON WHO SHALL BE OGAMI'S TOP PILOT and two others.:siren:

The rules are simple:

1) CHOOSE THE ONE TRUE GIRL.
- This should be your top choice, i.e. the girl who you want to see as Ogami's top pilot/romantic interest.
- Choose between Sakura, Sumire, Maria, Iris, Kohran, or Kanna. For the sake of example, let's say you choose X.

2) PICK A SECOND AND A THIRD PLACE.
- More specifically, pick a second place and a third place.
- Let's say you also think that Y and Z are also pretty cool, and in that order.

3) POST YOUR VOTE. IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS:
1. Girl X (Your top choice.)
2. Girl Y (Your second choice.)
3. Girl Z (Your third choice.)

4) YOU'RE DONE.
- Whoopee!
- Oh, right, and don't post/link to NWS pictures.

Votin' will be open until this coming Wednesday-- that is, until November 12th, midnight EST. That's next Thursday. If it looks like more time's gonna be needed, then I'll leave it open longer. Vice versa if everyone finishes voting half a week early.

Aaaanyways, get to it, folks, this vote's been coming for a year and a half.

MORE LINKS:
How do I calculate vote?

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 10, 2008

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
1.Maria
2.Kanna
3.Kohran

Because I fear for Ogami's well being if he doesn't choose these three...

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
1. Maria~♪
2. Sumire
3. Kanna

Oh, and thanks for not starting this on Tuesday.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
1. Kohran
2. Sumire
3. Kanna

Explosions and human experimentation are awesome. The other two are decent too, I guess.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

And my vote totally counts for double because of:

Edit: Ah, what the hell. Here's the remaining two.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 6, 2008

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
1. Iris
2. Sumire
3. Kohran

I'm choosing the options to maximize Ogami's suffering. As for why Iris is #1... I will be the first to admit that were I in a story involving some sort of cosmic horror, I'd be the crazy guy trying to unleash it on the world. Besides, I'd feel more comfortable with something capable of destroying my world by my side rather than bitter and behind my back.

Edit: Canuck: ...Don't mind me, I'll be downloading that little Iris icon because it's so adorable.

Crepuscule Adepte fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 6, 2008

RNGen
Oct 20, 2008
1) :science: Kohran :science:
2) Maria
3) Surmire

Any choice is going to end up killing Ogami, but Kohran can Frakneinborg him after his grizzly demise.

EDIT: From president to whacky anime dating game. 2008's got it all.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
1. Kohran
2. Maria
3. Sumire

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
1. Sumire