Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lishan1988
Mar 19, 2009

little_firebird posted:

Shame. Y'missed some pretty mind-bending neat stuff. :downs:

Like that one

Noooo.... stop feeding the octopus faced monster!!! With every sacrifice that you make, her evil spreads into each of our innocent(?) hearts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

lishan1988 posted:

Noooo.... stop feeding the octopus faced monster!!! With every sacrifice that you make, her evil spreads into each of our innocent(?) hearts

And we shall become one, and be greater for it.

lishan1988
Mar 19, 2009

veekie posted:

And we shall become one, and be greater for it.

we shall smile forever in our sparkly,floating teddy bear filled world. YES, MAI LORDO!

Sennamontoya
Dec 31, 2008

lishan1988 posted:

we shall smile forever in our sparkly,floating teddy bear filled world. YES, MAI LORDO!

Zero! Zero! Zero! Zero!... Wait... Oh dear God, I can't unsee what I have just seen!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sennamontoya posted:

Zero! Zero! Zero! Zero!... Wait... Oh dear God, I can't unsee what I have just seen!

I don't know what's worse. That this conversation is happening, or that I get everything and needed to resist the urge to chant along.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Dear Spirit Armor:

Please close your thread until your next update. It will be a better thread for it.

Sincerely,

Hokuto

Whillenn
Jun 18, 2008
Dear Spirit Armor:

Don't.

Signed, Whillenn

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Hokuto posted:

Dear Spirit Armor:

Please close your thread until your next update. It will be a better thread for it.

Sincerely,

Hokuto

I... wouldn't mind that.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
We've got to keep ourselves amused somehow between updates...

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
There's a fine line between "amused" and "totally creeped out".

Oh, wait, no there isn't.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
These posts are terrible but at least we reached a new page so the next update will load in a reasonable amount of time.

(This means we can stop posting now.)

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Sindai posted:

These posts are terrible but at least we reached a new page so the next update will load in a reasonable amount of time.

(This means we can stop posting now.)

Oh, we can stop posting now? That's good.

..waitaminute

Sennamontoya
Dec 31, 2008

Whillenn posted:

Dear Spirit Armor:

Don't.

Signed, Whillenn

I second that motion!

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.

... seriously, there's only ONE person who, immediately after a battle, would rather go down to the command room than actually rest.

All together now, folks:

[Ogami]

Maria...

MARIA.

[Ogami]

Yeah... might as well, while I'm doing the nightly rounds.

----
[Maria]

... you weren't at all planning to, were you.

[Ogami]

Er, no, I was TOTALLY planning to get some research done! Why else would I BE at the command room!?

[Maria]

Because there was no one in the showers for you to peep on, and you knew that I sensed you the moment you came within a hundred yards of the command room.

[Ogami]

... Kohran hasn't been able to slip you any happy pills these past few hours, huh.

[Maria]

Nope.

----

[Ogami]

Maria...?

[Maria]

Something I had tasted long ago... something like the very limits of ecstasy, drifting on that fine line between life and death...

[Ogami]

Maria...

Well, she's either 1) getting back into the groove of badassery, 2) working up her confidence, 3) or she's turning back into the ultimate psycho killer of the past, so...

.... engaging in some old-fashioned domestic violence would probably be pointless and counterproductive.

Y'know, unless she's going into the third category, which is 4) going completely and utterly emo.

Well, if we're going to do something stupid, then we might as well do it with TOO MUCH HIGH POWER.

[Ogami]

You don't want to become embroiled in that sort of desperate battle again, like so long ago... weren't you the one who said that, Maria!?

[Maria]

Captain...

[Ogami]

Our valuable comrade, who's both kind and stern... that's the type of person you are now... Maria.
So, please... don't fight such a lonely battle. Fight as part of the Flower Division.

----
[Ogami]

gently caress individuality, Maria! You need to go back to being a faceless member of the herd!

----

thwip

----
[Ogami]

Well, THAT was a disturbing quick turnabout time. I can't possibly imagine what could've--

[Ogami]

... Maria, was that blow dart sticking out of your neck always there?

[Maria]

Y-Yes, Captain. Acupuncture and sudden mood swings are all the rage these days.

[Ogami]

What, really?

[Maria]

... no, Captain. You know, your inability to pick up any sarcasm is really, really making me... making me...

[Maria]

... H... A... P... P... Y...

[Kohran]

Oh yeah, Ah still got it.

[Ogami]

... y'know, I have the sinking feeling that I know the answer to this question already, but... what the hell are you doing up there, Kohran?

[Kohran]

Ceiling Kohran is watchin' ya master-bai--

[Ogami]

NO.

----

[Ogami]

I'm sorry, Maria. For hitting you like that...

----
[Maria]

Apologizing for having to sit here and watch you make a fool of yourself as you utterly fail at slapping people in the face.

[Ogami]

... wait, weren't you just--

[Maria]

That was the most limp-wristed sissy hit I've ever seen in my life! What were they TEACHING you in the Navy!?

[Ogami]

W-Well, you know, I didn't really want to hit you HARD, because it isn't right to hit girls!

[Maria]

Why the hell not!?

[Ogami]

Because it's called domestic violence.

[Maria]

That's... wait, we hit you all the time, Captain.

[Ogami]

Yeah... when a girl hits a GUY, it's called "comedy."

[Maria]

... but that's utterly--

[Ogami]

It's anime, Maria, don't ask too much about it.

----

[Ogami]

The responsibility for the result of our last battle is wholly mine. So... you shouldn't be blaming yourself.

Gladly!

[Ogami]

Oh, and... don't tell anyone else about what you were saying just now.
Right now... everyone's already feeling uneasy.

[Maria]

Yes... of course.

----

----

----
[Ogami]

If only I had done a better job last battle, then... then we wouldn't be in this predicament, we'd still be overconfident, and we wouldn't be having this huge bout of character-building introspection that'll probably make us stronger in the long run.

[Ogami]

[Ogami]

... well, poo poo, I guess you can't make an omelet without violently crushing some eggs in the jaws of despair and self-pity.

----

----

----
[Ogami]

I don't care about any of that, I just want to know how you got up here so bleeding fast.

[Kohran]

Oh, that? That's an ancient Chinese secret passed down through my family over countless generations... called "goin' up th' stairs two at a time."

[Ogami]

... look, Kohran, I'm not THAT out of shape. It's just, you know, things've been pretty quiet these past few months, and--

[Kohran]

Hey, don't worry too much 'bout it! After all, Confucius says "you're really outta shape, Ogami-han."

[Ogami]

I GET IT.

----

[Ogami]

Kohran... are you researching something?

----

[Ogami]

Kohran...

Well, it's time to turn on that ol' Ogami charm!

... by pestering Kohran like a five-year old imbecile. :downs:

[Ogami]

Don't say that. C'mon, tell me! What're you researching?

----

[Ogami]

... Kohran, you miser. Can't you just tell me...?

----

----
[Kohran]

'Sides, all of ya will probably be th' first t' know if it DOESN'T work out.

[Ogami]

Because the theater will shake as the library or your room explodes, right? Yeah, I know, Kohran.

[Kohran]

Ha ha ha!

[Kohran]

Actually, it'd probably be more along th' lines of "you'll figure it out when y'all get enveloped by a blinding white glow an' time, space, an' th' location of yer organs cease t' have any meanin' whatsoever.

[Ogami]

Did you say something?

[Kohran]

Nothin' at all~! How'd Maria take to th' happy dart?

[Ogami]

It wore off in like five seconds, and she bounced back surlier than ever.

[Kohran]

Eh, don't worry 'bout it. That jes' means that she's buildin' up an immunity to th' happy pill, an' she'll probably start gettin' madder an' madder after she bounces back.

[Ogami]

... isn't that still a problem?

[Kohran]

If it is, it ain't MY problem, Mr. Captain sir!

[Ogami]

Goddammit, Kohran.

----

[Ogami]

Kohran seemed kind of desperate... I'd better pick up the pace myself...

The third-to-last pilot that we have to deal with during this free roam is, of course...

... absolutely no one.

[Sumire]

Ensign... making the nightly rounds, are you?

[Ogami]

Sumire-kun...

[Ogami]

Yeah-- right off the bat, she's picking a fight.

I don't think I've ever really chosen the correct answer to the following multiple choice box in ANY of my previous playthroughs, which is part of the reason why Sumire's always thrown me off (ESPECIALLY since most of the other characters are extremely straightforward).

By sheer luck, I managed to get it this time...

... by choosing what has GOT to be the least likely answer.

[Ogami]

Heheheh... I totally messed up today, didn't I?

----
[Ogami]

... you know, when you understate it to that extent, it really drives home just how badly we hosed up today.

[Sumire]

Oh? How so?

[Ogami]

Huh? We lost six super-powerful, super-expensive power armor units and caused incredible amounts of super-expensive property damage. Do you have any idea how much money we lost during today's battle?

[Sumire]

?

[Ogami]

... right, you wouldn't, would you.

[Sumire]

Net losses are something that happen to other people, Ensign!

----

[Ogami]

Eh...?

----

[Ogami]

Yeah... I think that's how I want to be, as well.

[Sumire]

Because there are... various things that I must get done.

[Ogami]

I see...

[Sumire]

Now then... have a good night's rest. It will not do for you to throw away your most sincere aspirations.

----
[Ogami]

[Ogami]

... why is it that I always communicate the best with Sumire-kun when I don't actually say anything of value?

----

Welp, Iris is the second-to-last pilot.

... that way, Sakura will know to come looking for Ogami if something horrible should befall him.

Once again, the next sentence turns this question rhetorical very quickly.

[Ogami]

Iris, are you still up? ... I'm coming in.

In the past, Ogami learned to fear Iris because she was 1) a young child who 2) was romantically (?) obsessed with him for various arcane reasons, 3) possessed psychic powers that people thrice her age could never hope to achieve, and 4) had the unfortunate and somewhat inconvenient tendency to consume souls like popcorn and break reality.

Over the course of a few months, Ogami has managed to defuse #2, become accustomed to and/or use #3 for various military purposes, and has dealt away with the first half of #4.

Of course, Ogami is still right to fear her...

... solely on the basis of point #1.

[Ogami]

Eek!?

[Iris]

No one will play with me. Iris is bored~!!

[Ogami]

Er, no... well, a lot happened today, didn't it? So...

----
[Iris]

At the same time!!

[Ogami]

I don't think we even HAVE any good seven to ten player games at the theater, Iris.

[Iris]

That's not true!!

[Ogami]

... nothing that hasn't been expressly banned from the theater by the national government, I mean.

[Iris]

But Iris LIKED Sumire's "Real World Monopoly"! And Kanna's "Duck Duck Goose WITH DEADLY FORCE"! And Ayame's "Rock, Paper, Shogeimaru Main Cannon", Maria's "Russian Roulette", and Sakura's "Cutting Pedestrians While Laughing In A High-Pitched Psychopath Voice"!!

[Ogami]

... that last one wasn't a game, Iris.

[Iris]

But it was fun!! And it was also banned by the government.

----

[Ogami]

No... I'm telling you...

[Ogami]

... we really don't have a choice here.

Well, okay, so we DO technically have a choice, but the last two options look like they'd segue straight into some pretty nasty game overs.

[Ogami]

Okay, sure. So... how do you play?

[Iris]

If you copy well, then Oniichan wins! If you don't, then Iris wins!!

[Ogami]

Aah, I got it. Let's do this, then.

[Iris]

Yup... here we go!

Annoyingly enough, you get on Iris's bad side if you intentionally throw the game ("Boring!"). You also get on her bad side if you actually ACE the game ("... BORING!!"), so you basically HAVE to be completely and utterly mediocre in order to win (which may be a first in gaming history).

[Ogami]

Hahahahaha... Iris, you were pretty good, too.

----
[Ogami]

... it's just that I couldn't really copy you when you started spinning your head 360 degrees.

[Iris]

You can't?

[Ogami]

Nope.

[Iris]

But you did it last month, remember, Oniichan? It was when Kanna--

[Ogami]

Y-Yeah, but necks aren't actually intended to DO that. And do you remember what you learned that time, Iris?

[Iris]

"Friends don't let friends spin peoples' heads like corkscrews!"

[Ogami]

... and what did you do instead?

[Iris]

Took Kohran's bet that Kanna couldn't spin Oniichan's head like a corkscrew!

[Ogami]

... yeah, I should probably talk to Manager Yoneda about letting you grow up in an environment that isn't populated by the worst role models known to any sentient life form.

----

----

[Ogami]

That's because... we lost our fight, and the Koubu got broken...

[Iris]

Eh...? It's because of something like that that everyone's sad?

... well, if something positive could ever be said about Iris, it's that she's slightly more emo-resistant than most characters?

[Iris]

You're like that too, aren't you, Oniichan? Don't you think that you'll be able to do your best, even if you lose?

[Ogami]

Hahahahah... I see. That's certainly true. Thank you, Iris.

thwip

----

----
[Ogami]

[Ogami]

... Kohran...

[Kohran]

No need t' thank me, jes' be thankful for th' buddy system!

----

NEXT TIME: An update that won't take three weeks to finish!

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 9, 2013

lishan1988
Mar 19, 2009
It is now a fact. A new post will only come when the posts get really inane/cause screams.

Sennamontoya
Dec 31, 2008

lishan1988 posted:

It is now a fact. A new post will only come when the posts get really inane/cause screams.

So we need more crossover references? *Thinks* Oh dear lord, the fun we shall have. :D
BTW Does spirit armor have spring break next week?

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.

lishan1988 posted:

This is PRECISELY why I intend to update more often now. That's some pretty scary incentive right there, when you think about it.

Sennamontoya posted:

So we need more crossover references? *Thinks* Oh dear lord, the fun we shall have.
BTW Does spirit armor have spring break next week?

NO

... and in more normal news, nope.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Spirit Armor posted:

This is PRECISELY why I intend to update more often now. That's some pretty scary incentive right there, when you think about it.

NO

... and in more normal news, nope.

I'll beg. I will get down on my knees and beg, just please for the love of everything holy, unhol, and anything else you want to love update more often! We don't need things to spiral down further!

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Wait, so you hit Maria in the face and she blushes? :psyduck:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Roger Explosion posted:

Hey, it's okay for people to mess up.
It's also okay for people to whack you when you mess up. :kamina:

To be fair though I think that was more embarrassment at how she was still one bad day away from climbing up the belltower and cleaning up the world. With Kitchen Gun, except for people.

lishan1988
Mar 19, 2009

Roger Explosion posted:

Must be a side-effect of the happy pills.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

... nothing that hasn't been expressly banned from the theater by the national government, I mean.

[Iris]

But Iris LIKED Sumire's "Real World Monopoly"! And Kanna's "Duck Duck Goose WITH DEADLY FORCE"! And Ayame's "Rock, Paper, Shogeimaru Main Cannon", Maria's "Russian Roulette", and Sakura's "Cutting Pedestrians While Laughing In A High-Pitched Psychopath Voice"!!

[Ogami]

... that last one wasn't a game, Iris.
Such wonderful hobbies they have. heh.
Maybe they should bring back the Shark Punching game. Or play chess with people. On the board. Life action. Real Weapons.
Or Shot Putt, with mecha.

quote:

Annoyingly enough, you get on Iris's bad side if you intentionally throw the game ("Boring!"). You also get on her bad side if you actually ACE the game ("... BORING!!"), so you basically HAVE to be completely and utterly mediocre in order to win (which may be a first in gaming history).

This is hilarious. How do you know you're mediocre enough?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't usually offer much in the way of praise for these things, even as I've been following for ages now, but I must say, Spirit, you correctly spelled the phrase "with bated breath" during that update. I love you like a brother, now.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I'd like to think that the only reason the Sumire picks are working this playthrough is because even though Maria won the vote I've been carrying the Sumire banner all this time.

Gespenst
Oct 14, 2007
I went to the internet and all I got was this crappy account.
Heh, "Too much high power." Always did love that line.

Also, I think this shows quite a bit about how screwed up Maria is, that punching her in the face corrects her morale problem and causes her to warm up. It's like she's some kind of psyche-damaged Emma Sheen.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I think considering that where she's from, how she acted would have ended in execution via firing squad, a slap in the face is pretty much a warm comforting hug.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I'm a pretty humorless guy, the most LPs usually get out of me is a smile. This is the only LP on the forums that has me cracking up pretty much every update. Thanks Spirit Armor!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

Well, THAT was a disturbing quick turnabout time. I can't possibly imagine what could've--

[Ogami]

... Maria, was that blow dart sticking out of your neck always there?

[Maria]

Y-Yes, Captain. Acupuncture and sudden mood swings are all the rage these days.

[Ogami]

What, really?

[Maria]

... no, Captain. You know, your inability to pick up any sarcasm is really, really making me... making me...

[Maria]

... H... A... P... P... Y...

[Kohran]

Oh yeah, Ah still got it.

[Ogami]

... y'know, I have the sinking feeling that I know the answer to this question already, but... what the hell are you doing up there, Kohran?

[Kohran]

Ceiling Kohran is watchin' ya master-bai--

[Ogami]

NO.

This stuff is the reason you made me waste $10 and 3 weeks reading this thread! I hope you are happy Spirit Armor.

How could Kohran NOT win? Sure, her dialogue in the game itself is only mediocre, but the way SA writes extra dialogue for her is amazing.

Also, I'm in the second semester of 日本語 and this thread is surprisingly helpful. Win-win all around.

And because I missed the voting period... I vote that you update.

lishan1988
Mar 19, 2009

Slaan posted:

And because I missed the voting period... I vote that you update.

I second this motion!

In other news, wonder when Maria would reach the threshold where no Happy Pills/Darts work and all that remains is a monstrous, Ohgami-targeted rage? However, this may just be me forgetting about Kohran's God-like abilities in science :buddy:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Slaan posted:

How could Kohran NOT win? Sure, her dialogue in the game itself is only mediocre, but the way SA writes extra dialogue for her is amazing.
All of the characters real dialog is only mediocre, but Kohran still has the best real dialog. It's crazy stupid she lost.

Whillenn
Jun 18, 2008
Now that you've picked Maria, is she going to keep being all mushy, or does she go back to the badass Russian we knew and loved?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That depends on how much happy pills Kohran has, and how cunning she shall be in administering them.

So yes, Maria will be mushy.

Sennamontoya
Dec 31, 2008

lishan1988 posted:

I second this motion!

In other news, wonder when Maria would reach the threshold where no Happy Pills/Darts work and all that remains is a monstrous, Ohgami-targeted rage? However, this may just be me forgetting about Kohran's God-like abilities in science :buddy:

I could tell you what could happen but Spirit Armor said no more crossovers. T_T my imagination is going wild... drat it's amazing what a little over three months will do to you.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15

Roger Explosion posted:

Could be swelling...

It annoys me a bit of how often the slap seems to be a reasonable response that always works in anime. It seems like the logical thing would be for the other person to get really loving pissed, or possibly to slap back, thus starting a slap fight (and those never end gracefully...).

Is it actually more polite to slap someone than to just interrupt them?

Dectilon fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 26, 2009

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Roger Explosion posted:

Those are bruises.

Narev
Oct 9, 2005

Something about FIR3 makes me wanna DANCE!
Thanks to this thread, I did what I thought I'd never do again. I had put the past behind me. But I bought new Anime.

I got the Sakura Wars TV Boxset: $20 used on Amazon
Sakura Wars OVA Boxset: $13 on Amazon
Sakura Wars Movie: $1.25 (not a typo, cost me a dollar and a quarter) on Amazon

Questions: What should I start with? I haven't seen Ogami on any packaging, is he in the series?

That reminds me, I need to finish watching Great Teacher Onizuka...

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dectilon posted:

Could be swelling...

It annoys me a bit of how often the slap seems to be a reasonable response that always works in anime. It seems like the logical thing would be for the other person to get really loving pissed, or possibly to slap back, thus starting a slap fight (and those never end gracefully...).

Is it actually more polite to slap someone than to just interrupt them?
It's an Inoki spirit slap. Lyoto Machida swears by them. :colbert:

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006
a front row seat to the gun show

Narev posted:

Thanks to this thread, I did what I thought I'd never do again. I had put the past behind me. But I bought new Anime.

I got the Sakura Wars TV Boxset: $20 used on Amazon
Sakura Wars OVA Boxset: $13 on Amazon
Sakura Wars Movie: $1.25 (not a typo, cost me a dollar and a quarter) on Amazon

Questions: What should I start with? I haven't seen Ogami on any packaging, is he in the series?

Chronologically, the first OAV series comes first, then the TV series, the second OAV series, and the movie. My favorites are the TV series and the second set of OAVs. The TV series is a reprise of the first game, but the endings are different enough that you won't spoil yourself. Iris also behaves differently in the TV series. You'll see.

Ohgami features in the TV series and the second OAV series. He makes brief appearances in the first OAV series and the movie. His seiyuu is Suyama Akio (Hatsuharu from Fruits Basket). Suyama's nickname seems to be Suu-kun.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Regarding "slapping the sense into somebody", see this relevant article in TV Tropes.

*dotchan takes no responsibility for any lives ruined by TV tropes. *grins*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

dotchan posted:

Regarding "slapping the sense into somebody", see this relevant article in TV Tropes.

*dotchan takes no responsibility for any lives ruined by TV tropes. *grins*
I'm wise to the ways of TV Tropes, and managed to get out by clicking a link to Wired that involved fixing a Wii remote by smacking it. The important thing to remember is that, in Firefox at least, when you click to an outside link the tab just changes to the new page and does not create a new page/tab, so when I'm done reading the outside page there's no more TV Tropes to suck me back in.

• Locked thread