Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey cool, I've always wondered about these games since I watched the OVA that came out some years ago, but my Japanese was never quite up to spec to play them. Definitely subscribed, keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rolling Thunder! :swoon:

Would just like to put my vote in for anybody but Iris. I like Sakura, Maria, Kanna, and so on are cool, and even Sumire is alright. (Naginata yaaaaaay!) I would just like to see you mistreat and neglect Iris as much as the game will physically allow.

seorin posted:

This game looks bad rear end, and I love steampunk besides. Never before have I more desperately wanted to understand Japanese.

Same here, though I think that some of the SRW games would take first priority, since they've only translated the OGs IIRC.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good update. If memory serves, though, isn't that red gate thing with the "Launch" sign a famous landmark in Tokyo? You'd think someone might notice it getting appropriated for blimp use.

Also, you've got a broken tag for one of those video links, just FYI.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Well, obviously Ogami's in that position because he secretes mysterious pheromones that up Spirit Energy and as a coincidence make girls like him more.

Seeing the effect operate in reverse leads to the obvious conclusion - Finger Blowjob Woman was originally tapped for the job until the Flower Division couldn't find enough men to actually make up a unit of Koubu pilots.

The Sakura Wars OVA actually goes into this a bit. (very minor prequel spoilers) They did originally search for soldiers with enough Spirit Energy, but didn't find any, but discovered that Sumire, who is the granddaughter of the guy in charge of making the Koubu, could move the armor, leading them to redirect their search towards young girls instead.

As far as commanders go, Ogami is actually replacing Maria, because while she was great tactically, the rest of the team didn't all want to bang her like they do Ogami, and so nobody really respected her authority.

As for her identity, I'm actually kind of confused. I haven't played any of the games, but having watched some of the anime I took away that she was just kind of their talent scout/another member of the command structure, like Yoneda, and I have no clue why they would play her up as a mysterious finger sucker

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spirit Armor posted:

Come now, you know as well as I do that boobs are behind every decision made by every man ever.

They make the world go 'round. :colbert:

Exactly why my vote is firmly behind Maria. Sumire's cleavage just hangs out there, but we won't get Maria's assets out from under that coat without some proper effort. :colbert:

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spirit Armor posted:

3) poo poo, I really need to see Gurren Lagann now. :smith: PIERCE THE HEAVENS WITH YOUR DRILL

I'm kind of torn between demanding that you go and watch it RIGHT NOW since it's such a great show and advising you never to touch it since it will only delay updates more. :smith:

EDIT: Oop, there was another page here.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spirit Armor posted:

It's just a pity that he wasn't riding a motorcycle into battle (though as a fairly odd side note, motorcycles DO exist in the Sakura Wars universe. Yes, in 1923.)

Actually, the only thing goofy about this, really, is that they're probably all all silly and steam powered. By that time motorcycles had already been in production for quite a while. Harley Davidson was founded in 1903 and was already hitting its heyday at this point in time (or our time at least. Not goofy steam powered time.) And motorcycles did indeed see service in WWI.

On a side note, while double checking facts on wikipedia for this post, it seems that there were some guys back in the 19th century who tried the same concept with steam power. Huh.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grunduggerer posted:

For 1917? Russian Revolution - I would think Maria and boyfriend are fighting for the Tsar against Lenin.

It could be the Russian revolution, but it's more likely that at that point it was still WWI, the Russians didn't sign their armistice with Germany until December of that year. I'm not real familiar with the dates of the revolution, but I'm pretty sure most of its fighting came after that.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't go on the date. Be honest, do any of you actually WANT an update or two all about Iris?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spirit Armor posted:

Votes noted! Running a little late because I am easily distracted by trinkets and giant robot strategy RPGs where all those newfangled Gundam SEED and Wing and Full Metal Panic! and GaoGaiGar robots get their asses kicked by motherfucking Voltron.

At this point I would pretty much give up a limb to have the SRW series recieve a proper translation or to suddenly be made fluent in written Japanese.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You know, I give up. In the interest of hopefully being the start of a landslide of people who want to vote for her if she had a chance, I'm switching my vote from Maria to Kanna.

And I intend to hold you to that promise of doing the rest of the series, FYI.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This thread has suddenly turned into The Terrible Secret of Sakura Wars.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just like how Sumire and Kohran are all charred, with ripped clothes and their hair going all over the place, and Kanna's just like "oops my nose is running a little."

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spirit Armor posted:

:suicide:

You can do it! Become an internet superstar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flying Mariachi posted:

At this rate, 20 years from now, he'll have started the third game.

When I heard he was playing SRWZ I was really tempted to suggest that he do an LP of some SRW game after he finished with Sakura Wars, but at this rate it could be a while.

• Locked thread