Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Eris Is Goddess
Nov 18, 2000

Sleejay posted:

need you new glasses? or are you just used to failure
"Any willing vagina" is all some people have to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax

All Else Failed posted:

Most people who go to work in psychology are pretty nuts themselves. I've heard it from others and noticed it myself. Don't be too amazed. I'm a crazy gently caress myself but my advice and view into other people's psyches is always pretty spot on. Takes one to know one, I guess.

On orientation day at social work grad school the dean told us that 85% of mental health care workers have received psychological counseling themselves at some point in their lives. I've had plenty of clients tell me that "I don't understand what it's like" but really, most therapists do.

Just food for thought.

Link84
Aug 28, 2005
Wait, isn't she paying 150 per night for her honeymoon, yet is staying at a relative's cabin for some 21 year olds week long party?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Eris Is Goddess posted:

CUZ YOU KNOW DEM CREZZY GIRLS SURE IS FUN IN THE SACK!

testifeye
Sep 24, 2004

maroon moon

do what now posted:

On orientation day at social work grad school the dean told us that 85% of mental health care workers have received psychological counseling themselves at some point in their lives. I've had plenty of clients tell me that "I don't understand what it's like" but really, most therapists do.

Just food for thought.

Receiving psychological counseling doesn't mean that someone has a psychological disorder or illness. And receiving counseling doesn't mean you know what it's like to have a mental illness. In fact, in many clinical psychology programs receiving therapy is either required or strongly recommended as part of training, but also for social support. Other than environments in which students receive supervision, therapy is one of the few places that training clinicians can speak openly about their experiences as a new practitioner, as there are many confidentiality limits that prevent clinicians from speaking to friends and family about difficult clients, etc. It also wouldn't surprise me that mental health practitioners seek out counseling more often than the general population because they probably hold fewer stereotypes about counseling services, have easy access to services, and realize that going to counseling does not brand them as crazy.

I've heard lots of people talk about how clinicians, social workers, and psychologists all pursue the field because they are "crazy," or go into it to "figure themselves out," or "avoid their own problems and blame everyone else." I've never seen any actual data supporting this, though I think I have seen data supporting that graduate students have a higher incidence of mental illness (while in school) compared to undergrads. We all know the crazy person that majored in psych, or the therapist our friend went to that was totally inappropriate. It's often the "crazy" or unusual people that stick out in our minds, and those are the people we tell stories about so it seems like there are more crazy therapists, perhaps. I've just never seen any evidence that mental health practitioners have any incidence of higher mental illness than any other population.

HelterSkeletor
Oct 7, 2005

by T. Finn

Eris Is Goddess posted:

I know what a few people in this thread look like and they would be perfectly happy getting with that crazy chick. There are very few people that would put up with her poo poo for more than a day or so, but that's not what I'm talking about. She's slightly overweight and a bit goofy-looking, but all in all not too bad.

In bed, crazy girls are either better or substantially worse than your typical girl, although I would wager that even the pathetic ones would be great if approached in the right way. This one seems like the type (like I said before) who constructs all this phony stuff because she is actually a really dull person. So she might be really terrible in bed.

I went out with a girl like that once. She was a wiccan(lol) and also liked girls and vampires and all that nonsense. But she also was probably the most boring person I have ever met and is probably tucking her two bratty kids into bed in some awful suburb outside of Dallas as we speak. She was pretty boring in bed too.

Whatever, this girl isn't ugly. I've also seen girlfriends of some people in this thread so I can say with certainty that some people would at the very least have a one night stand with her if presented with the opportunity.

Falcon9857
May 15, 2007

Lissedae posted:

Well, the con was pricey (our hotel room, as we had a suite, was 150 a night), but we 're leaving for a beautiful lake-side cabin on Wednesday for a week of fishing, boating, fireworks, nature hikes, bird watching, relaxing, etc. Amazingly, we're both pretty into nature, too.

150 a night for a suite? that's expensive?
i'm twenty and planning to stay at a hotel in boston at a minimum of 193 a night...
this seems to get progressively worse...

but since you guys are probably going to spend the rest of your lives struggling with your finances, it's probably for the best.

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005

Falcon9857 posted:

i'm twenty and planning to stay at a hotel in boston at a minimum of 193 a night...

but since you guys are probably going to spend the rest of your lives struggling with your finances, it's probably for the best.

When you have to use Marlboro foil to make the triforce on your plastic Barbie Cake, $150 is six months salary.

Liquid Cheney
Dec 13, 2001

"Except for the occasional heart attack, I never felt better."

HelterSkeletor posted:

I went out with a girl like that once. She was a wiccan(lol) and also liked girls and vampires and all that nonsense. But she also was probably the most boring person I have ever met and is probably tucking her two bratty kids into bed in some awful suburb outside of Dallas as we speak. She was pretty boring in bed too.

Wow, I thought you were going somewhere with this, but then your story just kind of fizzled out.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Falcon9857 posted:

Won't $150 barely get you a regular room at a nice hotel? What is this, the suite at the local Super 8?

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

testifeye posted:

Receiving psychological counseling doesn't mean that someone has a psychological disorder or illness. And receiving counseling doesn't mean you know what it's like to have a mental illness. In fact, in many clinical psychology programs receiving therapy is either required or strongly recommended as part of training, but also for social support. Other than environments in which students receive supervision, therapy is one of the few places that training clinicians can speak openly about their experiences as a new practitioner, as there are many confidentiality limits that prevent clinicians from speaking to friends and family about difficult clients, etc. It also wouldn't surprise me that mental health practitioners seek out counseling more often than the general population because they probably hold fewer stereotypes about counseling services, have easy access to services, and realize that going to counseling does not brand them as crazy.

Yeah, my understanding was that it was always for ^that^ and to help them not to get overburdened by the stress of hearing about people's problems and worries every day - some of which are trivial, but some of which could break your heart. I was a little surprised in The Sopranos when I first saw scenes of Dr Melfi visiting her own therapist, but then I thought hang on, that job must be a lot to deal with, and having your own therapist would help you to keep your own act together so you could more helpful to others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Dove from Above posted:

Yeah, my understanding was that it was always for ^that^ and to help them not to get overburdened by the stress of hearing about people's problems and worries every day - some of which are trivial, but some of which could break your heart.

There are other considerations, too... I’ve never had a patient leave (yet) due to an unnatural termination (patient death, inability to pay, worsening of condition or anything else that could cause a sudden and dramatic break) but unnatural terminations can have a great great deal of emotional repercussions from a therapist. In order to administer effective therapy, at least some level of genuine rapport needs to take place which does leave any therapist in a position where they can be hurt. While therapists are taught at least some measure of clinical detachment in their training, this must be tapered with an appropriate emotional bond as well

That’s not to mention the emotional pain that can be earned in the event that a patient worsens. a reality of the job is that some patients simply will never get better and many, due to the etiology of their illness rather than the level of psychological intervention, will get worse and it’s very easy to accept at least some blame in that situation. some patients kill themselves, stalk or harass their therapist, develop inappropriate emotional connections which must be terminated forcefully and abruptly... all of these things can cut pretty deep, no matter how detached you may attempt to make yourself.

Generally it is accepted within practice that therapists will see other therapists - there's a level of professional understanding within the profession because all therapists understand the dramatic emotional toll that patients can take on them. This is not an indication of mental illness, however, and sometimes the general impression that psychologists <do> have something wrong with them bothers me because the belief seems so pervasive. There’s a very important distinction between an appropriate emotional reaction to a life stress, such as what therapists are required to face in the course of their job and a pattern of pervasive psychological instability absent of stress.

Typically the more pervasive mental illnesses impact your ability to cognitively function but the training that psychologists are required to undertake before they can practice tends to preclude the existence of a significant level of mental illness. I can’t address the laws of every country but within Australia and Canada, psychologists are, in fact, screened for mental illness upon certification as there are deep concerns about conflicts of interest if a psychologist is seen to have an illness which could impact their ability to give effective therapy. Having an emotional regulation disorder, for example, has been demonstrated to interfere with the ability to be objective, having disorders related to empathy can interfere with the rapport portion of therapy etc etc

I guess I just feel strongly enough about this to write a full-page response because this attitude can be damaging to the profession and it undermines the professional credibility of the field. While some people may see no problems with a high rate of mental disease among health care professionals, many people who are uncomfortable with that may refuse help if they believed that their therapist has mental problems as bad as or worse than their own.