Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«98 »
  • Locked thread
Agapetos
Jul 12, 2007

by Earwicker

-Dethstryk- posted:

I agree with this. I'm not sure why duz would dismiss it so readily.

Maybe he is dismissing the idea of making it impossible to reply if there is another page.

If the suggestion was to merely notify the user of another page, he might have had a different response.

VVVVV - Just having a warning would probably be the best option. Someone might be replying to a post on a previous page but also have read all the other pages.

Agapetos fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2008 around 04:07

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

-Dethstryk- posted:

I agree with this. I'm not sure why duz would dismiss it so readily.

Now I'm interested. I already wrote a Greasemonkey script to get rid of some of the crap like the Post button inside threads- something else duz didn't want SALR doing. I'll see if I can figure out a way to either remove the Reply button from all but the final page or have it throw up a Javascript alert warning the user.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2008 around 05:47

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Ok, done

code:
[sub]
// ==UserScript==
// @name	Something Awful Safe Reply
// @namespace	Zorilla
// @description	Warns users when they're about to reply without reading the whole thread
// @include	[url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php[/url]
// ==/UserScript==

function xpathQuery(inputElements) {

return document.evaluate(
		inputElements,
		document,
		null,
		XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE,
		null);

}

function notLastPageMessage() {

alert('Note: there are additional pages in this thread');

}

// Add click event to "Reply" and "Quote" buttons when viewing a thread and not on the final page
var nextLink = xpathQuery(
	'//a[@class="pagenumber" and @title="next page "]').snapshotItem(0);
var replyLinks = xpathQuery(
	'//ul[@class="postbuttons"]/li[descendant::img[@alt="Reply" or @alt="Quote"]]');
if (nextLink) {
	for (var i = 0; i < replyLinks.snapshotLength; i++) {
		var replyLinkCurrent = replyLinks.snapshotItem(i);
		replyLinkCurrent.addEventListener('click', notLastPageMessage, false);
	}
}

[/sub]

Zorilla fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2008 around 14:33

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

I agree that SALR shouldn't be bloated to protect retards from doing stupid things. Learn to use the forums.

DragonWC99
Nov 4, 2004

I'm using SALR and I don't understand why in my bookmarked threads list in Control Panel, the number of new posts doesn't show up to the right of the thread title, like it does in every forum I visit in SA.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Tivac posted:

I agree that SALR shouldn't be bloated to protect retards from doing stupid things. Learn to use the forums.

Poor design considerations aren't the fault of the user whether they learn to work around them or not. While I don't think SALR needs to fix these problems, I think it's still dumb to have a "Post" button inside threads- that was the previous thing I wrote a script to address. It completely violates the common sense in which most people would assume this button performs some function inside this thread, rather than going up one level and posting something there.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

Zorilla posted:

Poor design considerations aren't the fault of the user whether they learn to work around them or not. While I don't think SALR needs to fix these problems, I think it's still dumb to have a "Post" button inside threads- that was the previous thing I wrote a script to address. It completely violates the common sense in which most people would assume this button performs some function inside this thread, rather than going up one level and posting something there.

I agree. Isn't the point of SALR to improve the forums UI? Theres no sensible reason why a new post icon should exist on page 12 or a 30 page thread, nor is there any reason why a user would need to start a new thread from within another thread. Removing these items would improve the UI as a whole, and should be added at least as an option.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

nbv4 posted:

I agree. Isn't the point of SALR to improve the forums UI? Theres no sensible reason why a new post icon should exist on page 12 or a 30 page thread, nor is there any reason why a user would need to start a new thread from within another thread. Removing these items would improve the UI as a whole, and should be added at least as an option.

You must not really agree because I don't think SALR should do any of those things. Just get this script instead if you want to remove the Post button.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

Zorilla posted:

You must not really agree because I don't think SALR should do any of those things. Just get this script instead if you want to remove the Post button.

Why shouldn't SALR fix these things? Do you not agree that the point of SALR is to improve the UI of the forums? If not, then what is the point of SALR? You obviously agree that removing the Post buttons will improve the forum usability.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

SALR streamlines the forums, but it doesn't add or remove any core functions. Most of the changes are visual, or navigational. This is just fine.

Besides, Zorilla's scripts are great

Edit: Oops, except that the "not the last page" alert isn't actually doing anything for me

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Excellent. The Arkham Asylum shower cam is operational once more.

I don't think it should be implemented because it will cause more problems then solve.
The post button on threads and the ban me icons are left in because it's fun to see someone make a fool of their self by not reading what they're clicking.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Revolvyerom posted:

Edit: Oops, except that the "not the last page" alert isn't actually doing anything for me

I just checked the script as it is posted to make sure I didn't botch anything and it seems to be running fine on my machine. Does your Error Console throw up any messages related to my script?

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

nbv4 posted:

Is there any way to have this extension highlight the OP of a thread, and no one else? I don't care about mods, admins or SALR developers. From what I see, its either highlight them all, or highlight none.
While the "Highlight interesting and important usernames" is an all or none on/off switch, you can just set the colors for admins and mods to transparent. Click on their color boxes in the Special User Highlighting Colors area in the Users tab and there is a button in the bottom left that says "Transparent". To get rid of SALR dev highlighting you can click on the names in the Custom User Highlighting and Notes area and hit "Delete User".

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Testing for a "last page" post error.

Edit: xpathQuery("//div[@class=\"threadbar bottom\"]").snapshotItem is not a function

I'm also getting a pile of Error in parsing value for property 'max-height'. Declaration dropped. for somethingawful.com pages. Wondering if that's SALR related?

It might be worth noting for your script that I use quick reply/quote, Zorilla.

Revolvyerom fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2008 around 08:36

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Revolvyerom posted:

Edit: xpathQuery("//div[@class=\"threadbar bottom\"]").snapshotItem is not a function

I'm also getting a pile of Error in parsing value for property 'max-height'. Declaration dropped. for somethingawful.com pages. Wondering if that's SALR related?

It might be worth noting for your script that I use quick reply/quote, Zorilla.

Weird- you can see from the script that xpathQuery is defined right below the metadata. Plus, "threadbar bottom" doesn't exist in the script anymore. I think I removed it because it was excessive. Try copy and pasting the script again. You shouldn't be getting errors about undefined functions when that function is clearly right there in the script.

And this script does work with SALR, by the way. The alert message gets partially obscured by the Quick Reply window, but it's enough to catch your attention.

What script is it showing the pile of errors for?

Zorilla fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2008 around 11:40

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Copied/pasted the code again, works a treat! Thanks again.

Factor Mystic
Mar 19, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Revolvyerom posted:

Wait, isn't this from the "Remove Post Button" script? Because I was getting the same error.

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!

I remember seeing a Greasemonkey script that allowed you to colorize all posts by a certain user. There was a small plus button under the user's avatar that, when clicked, would expand a color palette which you could choose a color to be associated with that user -- then, the whole post element would be overlayed with that color making it easier to spot posts by that user in a thread. I can't seem to find it anymore, and am stuck using Safari for now so SALR isn't an option (if this is a feature). Is that script still floating around somewhere?

do it fucked around with this message at Mar 4, 2008 around 22:41

argus tuft
Oct 7, 2007
Frankly, sir, we in the Police Force are just plain baffled

As of this morning, SALR has lost the forum list, and cannot seem to renew it. Has this happened to anyone else?

edit: nevermind, it's working fine now.

argus tuft fucked around with this message at Mar 5, 2008 around 01:53

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

do it posted:

I remember seeing a Greasemonkey script that allowed you to colorize all posts by a certain user. There was a small plus button under the user's avatar that, when clicked, would expand a color palette which you could choose a color to be associated with that user -- then, the whole post element would be overlayed with that color making it easier to spot posts by that user in a thread. I can't seem to find it anymore, and am stuck using Safari for now so SALR isn't an option (if this is a feature). Is that script still floating around somewhere?
SALR certainly allows you to color posts by a specific user any way you like. There's not nifty "+" button, but just go to the SALR options->users and add them by userid# (found by clicking on their "profile" link, yours being 90241, for example). Not quite as slick, but still possible.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Revolvyerom posted:

SALR certainly allows you to color posts by a specific user any way you like. There's not nifty "+" button, but just go to the SALR options->users and add them by userid# (found by clicking on their "profile" link, yours being 90241, for example). Not quite as slick, but still possible.

Or you can use the "Add Coloring/Note" link under the post

Carnivean
Feb 14, 2004

by Peatpot

Revolvyerom posted:

It does, but if you'd read his post you'd realise that he isn't using SALR because he's using Safari, not Firefox. He wants the GM script so that he can get the same feature on Safari.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

I know this has probably been asked, but I recently tried Opera, and I'm really liking it...the only downside is there's no SALR for it...what are the odds of something like this happening?

EDIT: Okay, so there was an Opera widget for SALR...but the thread has been archived and the archives are down...does it still exist, and if so, how can I go about getting it?

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2008 around 12:56

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I know this has probably been asked, but I recently tried Opera, and I'm really liking it...the only downside is there's no SALR for it...what are the odds of something like this happening?

EDIT: Okay, so there was an Opera widget for SALR...but the thread has been archived and the archives are down...does it still exist, and if so, how can I go about getting it?

There is a SALR thing for Opera. As far as I know this is the latest working copy of it, and this is where the rest of the files are. However, you'll need one of the guys already using it to explain it to you, since the thread got archived and the archives are down indefinitely. It involves setting up a web daemon or something to parse all the pages for you; I'm not really sure. If you've got plat you can PM this guy, who made it.

Edit: and sorry, there's currently no plans for a Firefox to Opera girl-stalking-database converter.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

RedKazan posted:

There is a SALR thing for Opera. As far as I know this is the latest working copy of it, and this is where the rest of the files are. However, you'll need one of the guys already using it to explain it to you, since the thread got archived and the archives are down indefinitely. It involves setting up a web daemon or something to parse all the pages for you; I'm not really sure. If you've got plat you can PM this guy, who made it.

Edit: and sorry, there's currently no plans for a Firefox to Opera girl-stalking-database converter.

Haha, that's fine, I've actually stopped using user notes for the moment, I just really liked the drop down SA Menu, and the pop up post window. I suppose I can just use speed dial for the first, and live without the other thing, though.

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2008 around 20:38

Nobdy
Apr 12, 2004
LOLLERZ LOLLERZ LOLLERZ LOLLERZ

RedKazan posted:

However, you'll need one of the guys already using it to explain it to you, since the thread got archived and the archives are down indefinitely.

In advanced preferences there's a javascript button. In there you can point to a directory where you'll need to put all the JS and style files that moho provided. You also need to run the salrd2_background.exe program. You'll have to edit the JS to use your forums name (unless you like SALR to think you are moho). You can also set some of the options, but really, I can't remember what most of them do. I think that's all you need to do.

Some people had problems with salrd2_background crashing all the time and did some poo poo with compiling/running a ruby deal. I can't help you there.

Edit: Opera SALR doesn't have a quickpost thing, so doesn't seem like it'll help you a lot.

Nobdy fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2008 around 21:28

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

edit: Okay, basically what happens is that when I try to use the waffleimages thingy in SALR quick post, Firefox crashes once I select an image and click open. I figured out which extension was causing the problem - see bottom of this post.

The same extension was also causing my SA dropdown menu to be white text on a white background. I have no idea why it would do something like that but once I disabled it, the menu returned to normal.

ebay

edit: Firefox and SALR both current.

List of my extensions, marked off as I test without them:
Adblock Plus
Chromatabs

Dictionary Search
Download Statusbar
Downthemall
Fasterfox
Firefox companion for ebay
flashblock [both SA & waffle are excepted]
greasemonkey
IE view lite
my timezone for ebay
SALR
Stylish
Tab Mix Plus
Unplug

At this point it looks like the extension: Firefox companion for ebay is the culprit which kind of sucks as it was somewhat useful.

wormil fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2008 around 09:08

Dastardly Repressed
May 8, 2004

by WORST ADMIN EVER

Yeah, if anyone wants a hand setting up SALR for Opera just PM me or something (if you really care and don't have plat then moho at the domain RedKazan posted above [ionmine.com] works for email). I'd remake the thread but honestly I don't really wanna make it seem like the thing is where I'd like it to be currently. It does function though, if you're willing to work with it/around it. I plan on doing a significant re-write when Opera gets HTML5 client-side storage, but until then I'd kind of rather keep it in legacy user limbo.

Dastardly Repressed fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2008 around 08:49

Gingerbread Wife
Dec 28, 2003

~*~ iM At ThE mOtHeRfUcKiN sToP n Go ~*~

Latest version of Firefox and SALR here. I recently got a name change, but when people quote me it hasn't updated itself to highlight the quote of my new name. If I look in old threads, highlighting still works when people quoted my old name. Can I get SALR to recognize my name change?

banksy
Oct 26, 2007
fffffffffffffff

Does anyone have that old Opera menu.ini for the forums. It used to be in the Opera SALR thread and I can't find it anywhere

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Gingerbread Wife posted:

Latest version of Firefox and SALR here. I recently got a name change, but when people quote me it hasn't updated itself to highlight the quote of my new name. If I look in old threads, highlighting still works when people quoted my old name. Can I get SALR to recognize my name change?

I believe going to your control panel should reset your saved name. That or the forums home.

Gingerbread Wife
Dec 28, 2003

duz posted:

I believe going to your control panel should reset your saved name. That or the forums home.

Hmm, that definitely didn't fix it...

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Gingerbread Wife posted:

Hmm, that definitely didn't fix it...

Then open up about:config and reset/clear the values of extensions.salastread.username and extensions.salastread.userId

Gingerbread Wife
Dec 28, 2003

duz posted:

Then open up about:config and reset/clear the values of extensions.salastread.username and extensions.salastread.userId

Nice, value of extensions.salastread.username was still my old user name, but I just changed it to this one and everything is fixed! Thanks

Oxycodone
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

I just noticed - I can no longer edit my posts as there is no edit button on them. Any way to fix this?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Oxycodone posted:

I just noticed - I can no longer edit my posts as there is no edit button on them. Any way to fix this?

Reset your userid/username as above or uncheck the option to hide edit buttons.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

When I make changes to SALR, sometimes it resets itself after awhile. I frequently turn my computer on and off during the day, but I can't see why settings don't just stick. I use Mozilla. Specific settings that get set back to default include color schemes and drop-down menu quick forum list.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

a sharp thing posted:

When I make changes to SALR, sometimes it resets itself after awhile. I frequently turn my computer on and off during the day, but I can't see why settings don't just stick. I use Mozilla. Specific settings that get set back to default include color schemes and drop-down menu quick forum list.

Are you properly shutting down the browser or are you just killing it?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

duz posted:

Are you properly shutting down the browser or are you just killing it?

Hmmm. I almost always X out of Mozilla before I turn off my computer, but I guess that might be the reason, if I happened to do it once or twice. I'll keep an eye out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Is New World Order an easter egg or has GBS not updated yet?

• Locked thread
«98 »