Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Crash posted:

What does 'Enable advanced thread filtering' in the Forums setting of the new SALR v1.99.071119 mean?

Yes, could we get a list of new stuff/fixes for this version?

Edit: Also, it seems that this last version doesn't play nicely with Firefox on Ubuntu/Gnome. When I'm on the forums, I often get delays when doing things like switching tabs or scrolling down a page. During these delays, the window will be greyed out and unresponsive. After a few seconds, it'll be back to color and doing whatever I told it to. When I disable SALR or navigate away from the forums, everything's fine.

hooah fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 19, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
No more crashes on viewpost.php and functioning mod/admin/OP coloring, what more could I ask for? Thanks for finally getting this out :coal:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

hooah posted:

Yes, could we get a list of new stuff/fixes for this version?

Sorry, I've been busy. I'll try and get a list up later.

hooah posted:

Edit: Also, it seems that this last version doesn't play nicely with Firefox on Ubuntu/Gnome. When I'm on the forums, I often get delays when doing things like switching tabs or scrolling down a page. During these delays, the window will be greyed out and unresponsive. After a few seconds, it'll be back to color and doing whatever I told it to. When I disable SALR or navigate away from the forums, everything's fine.

I'm still cleaning up the code to cut down on stuff like this. There's lots of unneeded calls and memory usage that I'm removing to make it faster, etc.

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

New Update!.
Mostly bug fixes, couple new features.

Known Issues
See the second post (once it is updated)

Changelog
The mouseover title of the forum's emoticons are now set to their smilie code. For anyone that used the old greasemonkey script to do this, this one works a little bit better and has compatability with some of the "emot-" prefixed icons that didn't get processed correctly.
Added "Advanced thread filtering" option. See below.

Bug Fixes
Fixed error with "Show threads in bookmark list with new posts first" option when you view the control panel with no threads bookmarked.
Fixed the OP, admins, and mods not getting their post backgrounds colored.
Fixed bug with new posts count showing over the icons when you had the custom Jump to Last Read icon enabled but not "Show new replies count in the replies column".
Fixed bug with "Show new replies count in the replies column" removing the default new replies count even if you don't have a custom Jump to Last Read icon enabled (leaving an empty box).
Fixed bug with the gradient in the Jump to Last Read box not covering the whole space if you had "Always show.." enabled and no actual new replies.
Fixed conflict with users that are both an admin and a mod for the forum you are viewing.
Fixed user coloring of mods/admins and custom users in the author field of thread listings.
Fixed users losing their mod/admin status when they were spotted in the archives (where they didn't have a mod/admin star).
Fixed a bug with page counts when displaying a single post.

Developmental Notes
Added inArchives flag to forum and thread handlers.
Converted scaleImages function to processImages for consolidated, single-pass image processing.

Advanced Thread Filtering
This feature replaces the current "Filter icons" interface built into the thread listings pages. The way it works is pretty self explanatory once you look at it. Ctrl click on an icon to ignore it, any kind of click on an ignored icon will unignore it. Enter any number of strings separated with pipe "|" characters into the "Ignored keywords" box and hit "Save" to filter out any threads with those strings in their titles. Delete everything in the box and hit "Save" to clear keyword filtering. Thread visibility is updated actively, no need to refresh. Note: the "Reset" link above the unignored icons only resets the "Show only this icon"-type filtering, not the rest of the options.

I did a lot of testing in various forums with various options and didn't notice any problems, and it didn't even seem to affect load times very much (most of the load time goes towards just rebuilding the interface, not actually filtering anything), even with several keyword filters, but you guys always seems to find bugs that I can't. Have at it. One known issue that I can think of: trying to shift click rapidly on the icons will make them disappear. That's why I switched to ctrl click. I don't really see this as a problem, and a simple refresh brings them back. I guess it's a Firefox/DOM/JS thing, I couldn't seem to pin it down.

Edit: this feature is enabled in the "Forums" tab, at the bottom of the "Features" set, in the SALR options.

RedKazan fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 19, 2007

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Ctrl+clicking opens a new tab that contains all threads from the clicked type, then refreshes to ignore them, and so it basically opens a tab of the subforum with no threads listed. :buddy:

EDIT: However it does ignore them in both windows, so it *does* work. It just has an added feature with absolutely no purpose (other than seeing what the forums look like with no threads).

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

pik_d posted:

Ctrl+clicking opens a new tab that contains all threads from the clicked type, then refreshes to ignore them, and so it basically opens a tab of the subforum with no threads listed. :buddy:

EDIT: However it does ignore them in both windows, so it *does* work. It just has an added feature with absolutely no purpose (other than seeing what the forums look like with no threads).

Do you have some kind of mouse gesture or extension that manages ctrl clicking of links? Mine successfully calls preventDefault() and doesn't go anywhere.

Edit: if you're feeling adventurous you can open up salastreadOverlay.js and remove the slashes from the beginning of line 585. It's in the clickToggleIgnoreIcon function and it looks like this:
code:
		//	event.stopPropagation();
Then restart Firefox and try again. That might fix it, but I'm not sure if it would work if called after whatever you've got runs. If a lot of people have this issue I may have to redo the interface and just have the images not be links.

RedKazan fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 19, 2007

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
I think ctrl-click on a link is default for opening a link in a new tab. So, using that might not be such a good idea.

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Lollerich posted:

I think ctrl-click on a link is default for opening a link in a new tab. So, using that might not be such a good idea.

Apparently one of my extensions was suppressing that. I was sure I had tested with only SALR enabled. Oh well, I'll redo that in the next build. For now, uncommenting the event.stopPropagation() makes it work as intended, as tested with only SALR on.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
This version is also missing RedKazan's name highlighted in purple. I had to do it manually. :p

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

I posted a greasemonkey script here (edit: that post got archived so I can't edit it, updated script will be maintained here) to fix marking threads unread in Ask/Tell and SA Mart if anyone is interested. That forum doesn't get a ton of traffic so I thought I'd crosspost it here.

RedKazan fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 27, 2008

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

It would be better in my opinion if the advanced filters were applied per forum, and not globally. An E/N thread in Games would be unusual and probably something worth taking a look at, while it probably isn't worth reading if it's in GBS.

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 20, 2007

Yoghurt
Dec 18, 2006

We have always been at war with scenesters
that last update caused SALR to stop functioning for me entirely

I have no quick quote/edit, no mouse gestures using the latest build and ff 2.0.0.7

edit: the drop-down is still there though

Ruprecht
Jul 8, 2006

I decided to sleep in the car so my snoring wouldn't bother you, but I left that recording of my snoring so you wouldn't know I'm gone.
Currently using 1.9.071119, and Firefox 2.0.0.9. A great deal of stuff is broken for me: custom user notes and coloring (including mods, admins, OP) do not function at all, although the forum-side OP coloring is enabled and works; quick edit/quote does not show, although enabled; edit is still shown for others' posts, although disabled; report is still shown for my own posts, although disabled; mouse gestures do not work (the blue thingies don't even show) although enabled. I've checked and double-checked my forums CP settings, and SALR is the only FF extension running.

I know it has to be something on my end because so much stuff wet the bed all at once, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. Ironically, all the difficult thread tracking stuff seems to work like a charm!

Screenshot:

Thanks for all the work you guys put in.

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

If you guys having trouble could post screenshots of error messages, it would help us track these things down. Make sure to uncheck "Don't display error popup messages" in the General tab of the SALR options.

Yoghurt
Dec 18, 2006

RedKazan posted:

If you guys having trouble could post screenshots of error messages, it would help us track these things down. Make sure to uncheck "Don't display error popup messages" in the General tab of the SALR options.

thumbnailed, click for large

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Yoghurt posted:

thumbnailed, click for large

I think you've got a cookie problem or something, it's having trouble getting your user ID. That's going to be hard to replicate, let me know if anything changes. You can try logging out of SA and logging back in to get a new cookie and see if that fixes anything.

Yoghurt
Dec 18, 2006

doing that didn't work.

Got any other ideas?

Starky
Nov 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

RedKazan posted:

I posted a greasemonkey script here to fix marking threads unread in Ask/Tell and SA Mart if anyone is interested. That forum doesn't get a ton of traffic so I thought I'd crosspost it here.

So how do i install this on the new greasemonkey? I haven't been able to find a way to install it and the old greasemonkey sites I used to help me say I need to use the install script options in tools. But I don't have under my tools section.

I got the latest build of firefox if that helps :(

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Starky posted:

So how do i install this on the new greasemonkey? I haven't been able to find a way to install it and the old greasemonkey sites I used to help me say I need to use the install script options in tools. But I don't have under my tools section.

I got the latest build of firefox if that helps :(

1. Copy the script into notepad
2. Save as meh.user.js
3. Drag into Firefox.

Starky
Nov 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thank you thank you so much :swoon:

I wish the guys would created greasemonkey would update their site and better explain how to install stuff people copy and past.

Thanks you once again!

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
drat it. I thought I had this nailed down. Anyway I have 1.99.071119 and Firefox 2.0.0.9 and as of 10:15PM PST (it worked pretty well this afternoon, but with the occasional crash that has been there since sometime after I updated to 2.0.0.9, although I had LastRead running then too) if I have LastRead turned on it will crash every time without fail as soon as the thread finishes loading in every forum. Any thread. However the problem persists, albeit on a vastly smaller scale, after disabling the plug-in so now I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. Is it exacerbating a problem in Firefox? A problem that only exists on my computer (no worthwhile results in Google and no one else's computer is eating a dick in this thread). The only change I have made to my computer beyond the update to *.071119 and 2.0.0.9 respectively is I swapped out a dead Antec 480W PSU for a Antec 500W one. Somehow I doubt that is the problem.

anticake fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 22, 2007

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

anticake posted:

drat it. I thought I had this nailed down. Anyway I have 1.99.071119 and Firefox 2.0.0.9 and as of 10:15PM PST (it worked pretty well this afternoon, but with the occasional crash that has been there since sometime after I updated to 2.0.0.9, although I had LastRead running then too) if I have LastRead turned on it will crash every time without fail as soon as the thread finishes loading in every forum. Any thread. However the problem persists, albeit on a vastly smaller scale, after disabling the plug-in so now I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. Is it exacerbating a problem in Firefox? A problem that only exists on my computer (no worthwhile results in Google and no one else's computer is eating a dick in this thread). The only change I have made to my computer beyond the update to *.071119 and 2.0.0.9 respectively is I swapped out a dead Antec 480W PSU for a Antec 500W one. Somehow I doubt that is the problem.

Could we get a screenshot of any errors you get?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

I turned on error popups because none of SALR's features were working inside threads (although it works on the thread lists), and this is the error I got:

Firefox 2.0.0.9, Linux x86_64

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 22, 2007

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Scaevolus posted:

I turned on error popups because none of SALR's features were working inside threads (although it works on the thread lists), and this is the error I got:

Firefox 2.0.0.9, Linux x86_64

Looks like it's craping out trying to get your user id from your cookies. I need to remove that code anyways.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

duz posted:

Looks like it's craping out trying to get your user id from your cookies. I need to remove that code anyways.
I just went look into the code, and my god, SALRHexToNumber is ugly.

code:
function SALRHexToNumber(hex) {
	var res = 0;
	for (var i=0; i<hex.length; i++) {
		res = res * 16;
		switch (hex[i]) {
			case "0": res += 0; break;
			case "1": res += 1; break;
			case "2": res += 2; break;
			case "3": res += 3; break;
			case "4": res += 4; break;
			case "5": res += 5; break;
			case "6": res += 6; break;
			case "7": res += 7; break;
			case "8": res += 8; break;
			case "9": res += 9; break;
			case "a": case "A": res += 10; break;
			case "b": case "B": res += 11; break;
			case "c": case "C": res += 12; break;
			case "d": case "D": res += 13; break;
			case "e": case "E": res += 14; break;
			case "f": case "F": res += 15; break;
		}
	}
	return res;
}
:psyduck:

You could do this way faster with ord() and a few if statements. (or maybe a ternary statement)

|||||||
Aug 19, 2004

I'm not Chemmy

Scaevolus posted:

You could do this way faster with ord() and a few if statements. (or maybe a ternary statement)

Yeah Biznatio never claimed to have clean code.

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Scaevolus posted:

I just went look into the code, and my god, SALRHexToNumber is ugly.

Doesn't look like that function ever gets used, actually.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

RedKazan posted:

Could we get a screenshot of any errors you get?

I laugh at your puny errors! No seriously it drops straight to that Microsoft 'Send Report' dialog with absolutely no warning or description. Sending the report doesn't tell me anything about the problem, and likewise not sending the report does nothing. I'll turn SALR back on and get you a screen of it I guess, but I bet you know exactly what screen I'm talking about.

edit: Oh gently caress me. How the holy hell did it fix itself. It is god drat bulletproof now that I'm trying to force the problem today, whereas yesterday I replicated it for 10 minutes straight in different forums like clockwork. :argh: Technology makes me look like an idiot yet again. :argh:

edit: The problem has returned but it doesn't appear to be related to SALR this time so I guess you are spared my further idiocy. Do I just take this to the Haus?

anticake fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 24, 2007

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Anyone that has the cookie problem (Yoghurt and Scaevolus so far) can do this for now:

Open up salastreadOverlay.js and replace line 1786 (in the handleShowThread function block):
code:
	var userId = persistObject.userId;
with:
code:
//	var userId = persistObject.userId;
And then line 2157 (same function, near the bottom):
code:
			if(posterId == userId)
with:
code:
			if(posterName == username)
If you don't have an editor with line numbers, just do a case-sensitive search for "userId" and you'll find them pretty quick. That will fix the issue. It's probably time to phase out getting the userID from cookies anyway, having the username is enough.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

RedKazan posted:

If you don't have an editor with line numbers, just do a case-sensitive search for "userId" and you'll find them pretty quick. That will fix the issue. It's probably time to phase out getting the userID from cookies anyway, having the username is enough.

Already done, I've got to clean up a few other things and I'll be pushing out a new version tonight.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

RedKazan posted:

Thanks, now I can enjoy Quick Reply without waiting for tonight

duz posted:

Already done, I've got to clean up a few other things and I'll be pushing out a new version tonight.
Cool. Maybe you can add a few missing emoticons to the Quick Reply window-- :D for one.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Download

Just the cookie error fix in this release.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

||||||| posted:

Yeah Biznatio never claimed to have clean code.

SALR was originally a "let's learn how to make a Firefox extension" project, so it was never built on a good foundation. :p

Of the things to be embarassed about in the codebase, the SALRHexToNumber function is probably the least embarassing of them all.

gobblebox
Mar 20, 2004
thanks, workin' more smoothly for me as of last update

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

gobblebox posted:

thanks, workin' more smoothly for me as of last update

Yes, especially on Ubuntu. However, I noticed that the total page number is gone on threads that have more than seven pages.

Edit: Nevermind, now they're showing up.

hooah fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 26, 2007

Darth Mirth
Dec 12, 2004

Jedi business.
Go back to your drinks.

RedKazan posted:

Here you go you bunch of lazies.

Just chiming in to say that this is incredible and now as indespensible to me as SALR itself. :cheers:

Biaxident
Sep 4, 2003

GLOCK: Explosive Firepower!

Darth Mirth posted:

Just chiming in to say that this is incredible and now as indespensible to me as SALR itself. :cheers:

I'd have to agree. Very cool feature.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I have lost my menu.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

I too am suffering from lost menus. :( I used a smiley, so everybody knows how serious I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
That was weird, I have them back now.

Thank god someone else was having that problem for a little bit too.

• Locked thread