Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
killer ninjas
Mar 10, 2005
Wow. That's a pretty awesome feature. :awesomelon:

So how long has this capability existed? And why am I only just now learning this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

How does the keyboard navigation work?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

kri kri posted:

How does the keyboard navigation work?

In about:config, set extensions.salastread.quickPostJump to true. N will take you to the next post, M/P will take you to the previous. J will take you to the next page and K the previous. I'm still working on it so it defaults to off and the page bit isn't in the current build, but the next one later this week.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

New version out! In addition to being on Bounty Source, I've also uploaded it to addons.mozilla (account required) for when Bounty Source is offline.
This version fixed the wandering SA menu location and the missing grenade logo that appeared on it. It should also no longer clear the forums list when it can't update it. Some CSS tweaks were added to try and help speed up page loads.
And the latest feature has gone live now, keyboard navigation!
  • N - Next Post
  • P/M - Previous Post
  • J - Next Page
  • K - Previous Page
  • O - Reanchor thread
  • Q - Quick Quote current post
  • E - Quick Edit current post
  • R - Quick Reply current thread
This only works in threads and not in the forums so don't try it there. Also, sometimes Firefox loses focus of what tab you're really on, so if the keys arn't working, click on a post and try again. A grey dashed border will be around whatever post is current to the navigation so you know what you're selecting when you Edit/Reply.

Edit: Some are saying j/k for next/previous feels backwards so I'll be adding h for previous tomorrow so you can use h/j for previous/next.

duz fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 6, 2008

Biaxident
Sep 4, 2003

GLOCK: Explosive Firepower!
Thanks duz :)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

duz posted:

Also, sometimes Firefox loses focus of what tab you're really on, so if the keys arn't working, click on a post and try again.
Yeah, what's with that? I use lot of PgDn/Up and this happens regularly. I press page down and instead of the current tab the previous tab scrolls down.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
[[ Please wait, retrieving post quote... ]]

What files do I have to delete to clear all of SALR from my system? I've tried twice now by first uninstalling from Firefox and then going to User/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles to delete saforumlist.xml and salastread.sqlite but every time it always remembers all my settings when I re-install.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Zero One posted:

What files do I have to delete to clear all of SALR from my system? I've tried twice now by first uninstalling from Firefox and then going to User/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles to delete saforumlist.xml and salastread.sqlite but every time it always remembers all my settings when I re-install.

Settings are stored in about:config, do a search for salastread and right click..reset and that are bolded.

Crop Top Skank
Apr 4, 2007

I've noticed a relatively minor issue: In the pop-up list of the top posters in a thread, any users whose avatars you've hidden show up as "Users of Interest" It's definitely not a big deal, but this just seems a bit incongruous to me.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Having a keyboard shortcut to re-anchor the page is a great addition, thanks duz. :)

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

GODDAMNIT APHEX WHY DO YOU SUCK AT EVERYTHING YOU DO
So trying to use keyboard navigation while search-as-you-type is enabled doesnt work and this makes me a sad panda :(.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Insidious posted:

So trying to use keyboard navigation while search-as-you-type is enabled doesnt work and this makes me a sad panda :(.
I...how would that even work?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Wow, I'm going to be using these shortcuts all the time. Good work guys.

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

Revolvyerom posted:

I...how would that even work?

:(

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Insidious posted:

I'll have to see if there's some way to override it.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

duz posted:

New version out! In addition to being on Bounty Source, I've also uploaded it to addons.mozilla (account required) for when Bounty Source is offline.
This version fixed the wandering SA menu location and the missing grenade logo that appeared on it. It should also no longer clear the forums list when it can't update it. Some CSS tweaks were added to try and help speed up page loads.
  • N - Next Post
  • P/M - Previous Post
  • J - Next Page
  • K - Previous Page
  • O - Reanchor thread
This only works in threads and not in the forums so don't try it there. Also, sometimes Firefox loses focus of what tab you're really on, so if the keys arn't working, click on a post and try again. A grey dashed border will be around whatever post is current to the navigation so you know what you're selecting when you Edit/Reply.

Edit: Some are saying j/k for next/previous feels backwards so I'll be adding h for previous tomorrow so you can use h/j for previous/next.

Awesome feature. Would you ever consider making the keys configurable?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Horn posted:

Awesome feature. Would you ever consider making the keys configurable?

Eventually. Just wanted to get it working for now.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Insidious posted:

:(
Right, but how is Firefox supposed to know the difference between navigating and searching? When is it supposed to search for the word "OK" and when is it supposed to re-anchor the thread and then go to the previous page?

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
I'm having a problem that when I quick reply, I'm having to click "Submit" twice before it actually submits.

Edit: Just like everyone else. Alt+S it is then....

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

Jethro posted:

Right, but how is Firefox supposed to know the difference between navigating and searching? When is it supposed to search for the word "OK" and when is it supposed to re-anchor the thread and then go to the previous page?

I guess you would just disable quick-find on the forums?

TheGreatFezini
Jun 19, 2004

swim swim HUNGRY
I'm having problems with my ignored thread list. I have to click twice to add a thread to my ignore list, and if I close my browser then I lose all the threads I ignored and they show up again when I re-visit the forums. Using Firefox 3.0.1. and SALR 1.99.

I was having trouble with SALR so I deleted the two files from my Firefox profile that Duz mentioned in an earlier post and reset the bolded SALR extensions in about:config. That fixed every problem I was having except for the ignored threads. Sorry if this is a known issue, I didn't see anything about it on the last few pages.

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

Kneecaps posted:

I guess you would just disable quick-find on the forums?

No, I like find-as-you-type and will never turn it off, I use it too often. A workaround for this would be to override it for single letters somehow, or make SALR re-do the action after quickfind finishes moving the page around. If all else fails, I would be OK with making them key combos, like Alt-N, Alt-O, etc.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Insidious posted:

No, I like find-as-you-type and will never turn it off, I use it too often. A workaround for this would be to override it for single letters somehow, or make SALR re-do the action after quickfind finishes moving the page around. If all else fails, I would be OK with making them key combos, like Alt-N, Alt-O, etc.
So when you hit "O", how will it know that you're going to stop at that single letter, and that quick-search should ignore it and SALR should pick it up?

Also, duz, hitting "CTRL+N" to open a new window hops the thread to the next post in the current window. CTRL+O to open a file re-anchors the thread. Etc. Is it possible to disable navigation when a function key (shift/ctrl/alt) is pressed? They all trigger navigation.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Revolvyerom posted:

Also, duz, hitting "CTRL+N" to open a new window hops the thread to the next post in the current window. CTRL+O to open a file re-anchors the thread. Etc. Is it possible to disable navigation when a function key (shift/ctrl/alt) is pressed? They all trigger navigation.

Yep, I'll have it fix for the next release.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Reporting that the forums quick menu has disappeared again, and so has the extension's quick jump - identical behavior to previously. I do have the newest version, 1.99.080805. Running Firefox 3.0.1 on Win XP SP3. SALR is the only extension I have installed.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Revolvyerom posted:

So when you hit "O", how will it know that you're going to stop at that single letter, and that quick-search should ignore it and SALR should pick it up?

If a second, non-hotkey letter is pressed within a small time window after the "O", open up the quick find bar and send both "O" and the additional keystroke to it.

Though, that's astoundingly unintuitive behavior, especially since the first hotkey keystroke might have started a page navigation. I'd make the default option to just disable find-as-you-type entirely on forum pages (though still allow a "/" keystroke to open the quick find bar). Then if someone was so inclined they could re-enable find-as-you-type activation for non-hotkey keystrokes and remap the keyboard nav hotkeys to somewhere less likely to cause a conflict, like the numpad.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

That FUCKER Obama posted:

Reporting that the forums quick menu has disappeared again, and so has the extension's quick jump - identical behavior to previously. I do have the newest version, 1.99.080805. Running Firefox 3.0.1 on Win XP SP3. SALR is the only extension I have installed.

Curses, I guessed wrong and made the trigger too low. I'll try and get an update out later today so it doesn't disappear for more people.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I didn't notice any announcement but it seems that Ctrl-E brings up the Quick Edit window if your post is the newest unread reply in a thread. :)

Crash
Mar 29, 2003

The Dark One posted:

I didn't notice any announcement but it seems that Ctrl-E brings up the Quick Edit window if your post is the newest unread reply in a thread. :)

I'm quoting you
via CTRL-Q! :)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The Dark One posted:

duz posted:

• N - Next Post
  • P/M - Previous Post
  • J - Next Page
  • K - Previous Page
  • O - Reanchor thread

argus tuft
Oct 7, 2007
Frankly, sir, we in the Police Force are just plain baffled

TheGreatFezini posted:

I'm having problems with my ignored thread list. I have to click twice to add a thread to my ignore list, and if I close my browser then I lose all the threads I ignored and they show up again when I re-visit the forums. Using Firefox 3.0.1. and SALR 1.99.

I was having trouble with SALR so I deleted the two files from my Firefox profile that Duz mentioned in an earlier post and reset the bolded SALR extensions in about :config. That fixed every problem I was having except for the ignored threads. Sorry if this is a known issue, I didn't see anything about it on the last few pages.

I'm having a similar problem, but with starred threads instead. I have to click "star thread" twice before the thread is now starred dialogue comes up, and if I go to check, the link has been added in starred threads, but has no text.

If I follow the link the text will appear properly, but the whole lot is lost when I close firefox.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Starring and ignoring threads is wonky thanks to the cache system I put in. I'm working on a fix, don't know if it'll make it in tonight or not though.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Just wanted to mention that I hit ctrl+z one too many times, and came across this gem:

quote:

THERE IS NOTHING TO loving UNDO
This extension is loving awesome.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I just lost the contents of my SA menu. I noticed the dropdown losing the forum names sometime late yesterday, and just now they disappeared from my SA menu.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

m2pt5 posted:

I just lost the contents of my SA menu. I noticed the dropdown losing the forum names sometime late yesterday, and just now they disappeared from my SA menu.

Same here, seems the forum clearing is still present when they aren't available from the drop-down menu.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Actually just now my SALR menu disappeared but the forumside quickjump is still populated. :confused:

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Why does it seem like people have these problems around the same time :pwn: (I lost my menu too after fixing itself after a while)

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
I have a suggestion about how to fix this problem semi-permanently. Instead of checking the forums jump menu all the time or whenever it is checked, check it once, keep it in the SALR data file, and only check it again, when the user forces a check.

For example, when a new sub-forum is opened, users may want to have it refreshed and can do so, if they wish to.

This would be orders of magnitude less annoying than having the SALR forum selection menu break in random intervals for a random number of people. Also, having the same goddamn questions about it every single loving time it happens.

I check the thread regularly, because I'm interested in what's being done with updates and such, 99% of all posts are from confused people about how the menu is broken, yet again.

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 10, 2008

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF

Lollerich posted:

I have a suggestion about how to fix this problem semi-permanently. Instead of checking the forums jump menu all the time or whenever it is checked, check it once, keep it in the SALR data file, and only check it again, when the user forces a check.

For example, when a new sub-forum is opened, users may want to have it refreshed and can do so, if they wish to.

This would be orders of magnitude less annoying than having the SALR forum selection menu break in random intervals for a random number of people. Also, having the same goddamn questions about it every single loving time it happens.

I check the thread regularly, because I'm interested in what's being done with updates and such, 99% of all posts are from confused people about how the menu is broken, yet again.

duz implemented a fix where it updated less than usual, and if it found that the jump menu returned an empty forum set it just skipped over updating it at all, but there was a bug in this so i assume he'll fix it and push a proper fix soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

Please for the love of god, just include a 'fixme' button. So we can do it manually. I'm sick of wading through poo poo all the damned time.

Edit: Or better yet get it from a better area.

Like the posting glory hole or forums home itself.

Octal fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 10, 2008

• Locked thread