Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I downloaded this extension a while back (probably from reading the first post of this thread), but never really bothered to read the rest of the thread. I've noticed very frequent updates to SALR over the past couple of weeks, so I finally decided to check out the last few posts to see what's going on.

(just from the most recent page)

duz posted:

Working on a fix. It's a confusing matter.

duz posted:

I'll take a look at that code and see what's happening.

duz posted:

Fresh version out for all you people just upgrading to FF3.

duz posted:

Working on a fix now, I'll upload a new version with new version number when it's ready.

duz posted:

Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about the page title. Yeah, looks like the header hiding isn't working on the forums home, I'll get that fixed.

Good lord, man, I wish all developers were as on top of things as you guys are. Awesome work, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

pik_d posted:

It looks like it only highlights the threads you've posted in. That's pretty fuckin' cool.

Though it doesn't seem the work completely. There's a few threads I've posted in that it isn't highlighting. this one, for example, isn't highlighted for me, though you can click the "Who posted?" and I show up as having 6 posts.

EDIT: I posted in that thread again, and now it highlights.
I think the "you've posted in this thread" data, at least as far as highlighting goes, is stored locally. I noticed that topics I had posted in at work weren't highlighted when I logged in at home.

Has anybody noticed that they've had to click on Preview or Submit twice in order for the preview or submit your post? It doesn't seem like it's every time, but it's happened enough to me (on two different computers, both Firefox 3 on XP SP3) to make me wonder.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Revolvyerom posted:

I cannot imagine an instance where it would be useful to use the same emoticon more than 20 times.

Edit: A toggle would be useful I suppose. It is possible that it would be useful for Let's Play posts, but it's pretty rare that even those use emotes that much per post anymore.
The only time I've ever even noticed the change was in lengthy "dialogue" posts. For example:

:cool: = me
:downs: = idiot
======
:cool: How can I help you today?
:downs: My computer broke
:cool: What do you mean? Will it not turn on, do you get an error message, what?
:downs: Yes
:cool: Which is it?
...and so on

Other than stuff like that, I wouldn't have even known a change was made.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

This is kind of a random question which has probably been asked before, but when you bring up the quick reply window, then move to a new page in the thread you're reading, the reply window gets "detached". I've gotten in the habit of just selecting all my text, copying, closing quick reply, open a new quick reply, paste, submit when this happens. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some easier way of "reattaching" the window to the thread that I was missing.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

jess posted:

This has been an issue with SALR since the beginning. It has to do with how the extension forgets what thread it's on. I've learned to live with it. :)
I figured it was just a technical limitation, and that's fine if that's the case. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some trick or option I was overlooking.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

snide posted:

I've never seen the yellow. I even made sure the SALR setting had the right name for me and everything :(
It's kind of random for me. It only ever appears in threads I've posted in (which is correct), but it's inconsistent on which ones I've posted in that it highlights. There might be 5 threads on a page I've posted in, but only 2 will be highlighted. I figure it's tracking the highlight info locally rather than keying off of some forum-tracked value, which might explain the discrepancy (it wouldn't know about threads I posted in before the feature went live, nor would it know about ones I've posted in from home when I'm at work).

I pretty much just ignore the highlighting. Cool feature, but limited functionality for me.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Gxp posted:

I didn't realize how completely I relied on the drop down menu till it died and I started to :derp: when I couldn't fix it.

Thanks for the fix guys I've been using SALR for like 2 years now and it rocks my cock off.
It's funny, because up until about a month ago, I never used the drop down, because I never bothered to custom configure it to my frequently visited forums. But then one day I was bored, so I did that, and then I used it as my primary source of navigation. And then it broke.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I don't recall seeing mention of it before, and you're probably aware, but I just happened to notice today that the list vB code doesn't work in the live preview.

• a
  • b

No big deal, just thought I'd point it out on the off-chance nobody had noticed it before.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

hooah posted:

I think my quick quote/reply problem (Submit grayed out) is more or less all the time now (again). Any ideas why this happens? It's rather unfortunate because that's one of my favorite features of SALR.
As far as I know, the only time I've ever run into the Submit button being greyed out is when I change pages on the thread. I don't know that it'll make any difference, but what OS/FF version/SALR build are you running?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

skywalker6705 posted:

You might want to put an exemption to the "hide images in seen posts" for emotes and such, as in many cases I'm seeing stuff as simple as :) replaced with a full like of "this image is hidden" text.

I was trying to think of a simple way to implement this, but since the emotes are updated so frequently with new ones, I don't know.
As far as I know, all of the emotes are hosted on somethingawful, so it could possibly be done by domain. Although that would probably include the "user has decided to show you this" image attachments, too, so I dunno.

I still need to play around with the feature a little more before deciding whether or not I like it. I don't often visit image-heavy threads anymore, so it's less important to me.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

duz posted:

There is an exemption for emotes hosted in SA's servers. Any you see that are blocked are hosted remotely. If not, link me a post so I can see where it is linking to and fix SALR.
The smiles in this very thread are blocked. The link goes to http://fi.somethingawful.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I get

quote:

err: [Exception... "Security error" code: "1000" nsresult: "0x805303e8 (NS_ERROR_DOM_SECURITY_ERR)" location: "XPCSafeJSObjectWrapper.cpp Line: 445"]

Whenever I try to attach an image and submit the post. Once I remove the image, it lets me post.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Minor Live Preview bug, if you quote a user who has a ] in their username, that bracket closes the quote tag. I know this was fixed in the forums not too long ago, and I'm guessing the same fix could probably be applied to SALR.
code:
- You can use use double-quotes to help [quote] tags figure out goofy names,
  ie, [quote=dumb[.][.]] won't look right, but [quote="dumb[.][.]"] will
Also, I just noticed while typing this that Live Preview parses tags inside the code tag, while the forums do not.

Lastly, has anybody ever thought of adding a link to Awful Yearbook under each user's posts? Since the AYB page is based off of the userid, it seems like it would be trivial to implement. Just an idea.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

If this gets added, please make it optional. Not all of us use AYB (I don't) and I'm sure other people that don't use it wouldn't care to have the links there.
Understandable, and I figured that's probably one of the main reasons it hadn't been added.

Way Past Cool! posted:

Just put a link to your AYB in your signature.
I don't use signatures, and I'm talking about being able to click a link under a person's name to take me to their page (if they've joined), not my own.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

fishmech posted:

You'll have to be more specific than 1.99*, that could be anything from like January 2008 to today.
Maybe they should put the actual version in the About screen like every other program in the world. dirtbag, to go Tools->Add-ons and tell us the version listed there. Also double-check your SALR settings on the Colors tab to make sure "My Post Is Quoted" is the color you're expecting.

Actually, looking at these settings, what exactly does "Highlight quoted interesting people" do? I have it checked, but the only highlighted quotes I ever see are my own. Is this supposed to highlight quotes of people I have set in Users, too? Because that would be pretty cool if it worked.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

hooah posted:

Is anything currently going on with the development of this? I personally don't have any problems or feature requests, but I was just curious to see if anything is coming up.

I'm having an intermittent problem where I have no text cursor occasionally, and though I can type, I can't move things around with the arrow keys. Closing the quick reply window and reopening it usually fixes it. I'm not convinced it's a SALR bug, though, since it seems to have started around the same time I installed the Firefox 3.1 beta.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

fishmech posted:

That's not the version, what version do you actually have?
[REQ] Put the actual build number on the About tab of the SALR Preferences window

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

My install has been fine for months, but today I again got that error where it wouldn't show any of my pinned forums in the menu - or even any of the links in the top section of the menu, forums home and leper's colony and so on. Once I visited a thread it was fine. I also clicked on the forumside dropdown menu, before I tried SALR's menu again, so I don't know if that helped or was irrelevant.

Windows 7 x64 RC 7100, Firefox 3.0.10, SALR 1.99.090126
Same thing happened to me, but it seems better now. I'm guessing it was just some random happening with the forums, but I don't know.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

It actually seems to only fix itself for me when I open a thread. Merely going into a forum doesn't appear to be enough.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

astral posted:

I've done some regex wizardry and have it parsing the new smilies page properly. :wink:

I don't have TSVN installed on this computer, though, so it'll be a little while until I can commit it, and a little while after that until the build gets pushed out.

Edit: Committed that and brought the contextual menu back for FF 3.5. :)
So how does this work, exactly? Once it gets "pushed out", will Firefox just detect there's an update available and go from there, or do I need to go out somewhere and get it? Thanks for the work, by the way.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I've got a feature request, may not be worth the effort, but who knows. The forums have a fuckton of smilies, but I only ever regularly use a handful. Occasionally I forget exactly what they are, so I have to go looking, which can take a while. How feasible would it be to add a "favorite smilies" option, where I could make a custom list of 10 or 20 that I use most frequently?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Not to detract from this thread, but if you haven't seen, Ferg is working on building a SALR extension for Chrome for those who are interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201973&userid=115838

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

Anyone else losing the forums menu when they exit firefox?
My menu was gone this morning but came back once I went into a forum. It hasn't disappeared again since then, and I've closed Firefox.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

fishmech posted:

Go to the posting gloryhole and click around in the various stats pages until your forums list returns.
I just go to User Control Panel and click on my bookmarked thread when it happens to me. It'd be nice if the menu item that says "Visit a forum to populate list" or whatever actually took you to directly to the gloryhole, though.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Maybe this is a well known bug, but I just discovered a quote != edit thing.

* I posted a link, but after submitting saw that somebody beat me to it.
* I edited my post (using the Quick Reply window), then quoted the guy who beat me so I could add my comment
** I don't know if it's relevant, but I got impatient when the quote was loading, deleted the "[[ Please wait..." text and hit quote a second time
* I added my comment, submitted

Instead of editing my post, it posted a new reply. And I'm sure I hit Edit because I repeated the steps a second time, and confirmed that it even said "Quick Edit" in the popup window.

SALR 1.99.100330, Firefox 3.6.4

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

astral posted:

Update! v1.99.100706 (this build is NOT up on addons.mozilla, so don't try to get it there!)

Changes:
  • SALR now shows its version number in the about pane of the SALR options instead of "1.99.*"
  • Fixed "who posted" page to put users into the correct categories
  • Fixed this hilarious bug in the color picker for user highlighting in Firefox 4

Known issue: If you have a quick post open and click the edit or quote button of another post, the window will be converted to the type of the last button you clicked. This can be bad if you were in an edit window and clicked 'quote' on someone else's post. If you're unsure, you can always click Preview and check out what that page says.
I know that being a just-released beta it's probably low priority, but have you given any thought to overhauling the way you interact with SALR in Firefox 4? The extension works great from what I've seen since installing the beta this morning, but since FF4 hides the menu bar by default I have to press alt in order to access the SA menu. Not a big deal for me, but it's not terribly intuitive for some.

My suggestion would be a toolbar button, similar to the Adblock Plus button, although I honestly have no idea how difficult that would be. I'm just happy the extension works at all with this beta!

Edit: Bwahaha, I mapped the useless "search" button on my MX Revolution to Alt

brc64 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 7, 2010

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

astral posted:

Update! v1.99.100707 (this build is NOT up on addons.mozilla, so don't try to get it there!)

Changes:
  • Added an SALR toolbar item serving the same purpose as the SA menu. It's disabled by default, but you can add it through the "Customize Toolbar" window.

It looks pretty nice in Firefox 4:

As soon as I found the loving Add-ons menu (I hate it when they move poo poo on me), I pounced on this one. This is awesome. You guys need a donation link.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

That was loving weird.

I'm on Firefox 4 beta and I was prompted to install beta 2 today. Sure, why not. SALR disappeared. As in, it wasn't just disabled, it flat out wasn't listed in add-ons anymore. I came to the thread and hit the latest "Update!" link (two posts up) and rather than prompting to install, it just prompted me to save or open the XPI.

I saved it to my desktop then dragged it over the browser window and I was able to install it that way. Looks like all my settings from before were preserved. I know the browser is beta, but I'd never seen behavior quite like that before.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

astral posted:

Very weird. I was using the Firefox nightly builds until a bios update bricked my desktop's motherboard last weekend, and I hadn't seen anything like that. Are you using a clean profile for the Firefox 4 betas, or are you using (or, worse, sharing) one with Firefox 3?
I'm honestly not sure how to tell. When I installed 4, it installed to a different folder from 3.6, but the installer brought over all my extensions and bookmarks and everything automatically.

Everything is working fine now, it was just a pretty weird occurrence. As far as I can tell, it was only SALR that disappeared, too. The other handful of extensions I have (half of which are disabled) were still there.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

astral posted:

Then both are sharing a profile; this is not recommended. Try not to run 3.6 unless you set up a clean profile for it (firefox.exe -P).

I haven't touched 3.6 since I installed 4 beta. It's still around, presumably, but I don't have much interest in using it. If I run into any more weirdness, I'll give the new profile thing a try. For now, everything is working okay. I should probably just uninstall 3.6.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

astral posted:

I can still use this thread for that, right? :ninja:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

astral posted:

I still need to clean things up a little, but if anyone wants to be on the bleeding edge and help make sure I didn't break quick quote in strange and interesting ways, please snag this test build.

After my Firefox 4 beta automatically updated to 4.0b7, quick window seems to have stopped working for me. I was getting an error along the lines of Quick Window received a response it didn't expect", but I remembered that you had a test build addressing many things with how that works, so I tried that. Now I get "ERROR! The quick window has no idea what you're trying to do." when I try to quote a post. Although the window *does* open after that, but it's perpetually stuck at "retrieving information".

Any thoughts?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

astral posted:

This also should fix Firefox 4.0 Beta 7 quick quote weirdness.

It's working for me again, yay! You are awesome.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

astral posted:

This should fix the most common quick quote annoyance (wanting to add a quote to a post-in-progress without converting the window type), as well as offer some more flexibility if you're trying to do weird combinations of quick quote button-clicking.
I'm not entirely sure if this is what you're saying here or not, but holy gently caress, I just found out that I can quote something on page 74 of 75, click next to view the next page, quote something there and the Quick window no longer gets detached from the thread. That was the only complaint I ever really had about SALR, and now it's gone. If I wasn't house poor right now I'd send you money.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

This is extremely minor and petty, but with the SALR toolbar button, is there any way to get rid of the vertical line between the icon and the down arrow? It doesn't matter which side of the line you click, you get the menu drop down regardless. Removing the line would make it look a bit more in line with the other UI elements (in Firefox 4, anyway).

Obviously this is super low priority and really only caters to me obsessive compulsiveness.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

dunkman posted:

Is this working for the Firefox 6.0 beta that came out mere moments ago??
6? Geez...

Alereon posted:

For what it's worth, everything also appears to be working fine in Aurora (Firefox 7.0).
Do version numbers not mean anything anymore!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

guaranteed posted:

This is what I got:

From earlier on this page:

Takes No Damage posted:

Just upgraded to 6.0 and had to do this.

1. Type
code:
about:config
in the address bar
2. Right click anywhere and go New > Boolean
3. Set name as
code:
extensions.checkCompatibility.6.0
4. Set value as False
5. Restart Firefox
6. Drag most recent .xpi into an open Firefox window and install addon
7. Restart Firefox
8. ???
9. Profit

I have a feeling this is going to be a recurring thing... anyway, I added extensions.checkCompatibility.7.0 and set it to false and restarted Firefox and it's back to normal again.

• Locked thread