Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

I hereby endorse this product and/or service.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at Jul 27, 2007 around 01:03

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

||||||| posted:

Begin FAQ

NO.

I went ahead and edited that into my post #3 up there. Let's see if that helps the question from coming up three times per page.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Robnoxious posted:

How do you remove a forgotten starred thread that has since gone to archives?
I don't have archive access and the thread is no longer relevant and I'd like to remove it.

I'm not sure what SALR does now, but starred threads used to be stored in the main thread cache file, which would mean they'd automatically get forgotten after a couple weeks if you haven't seen them on the forum.

If that's still the case, you can delete the line for the thread from salastread.xml in your Firefox profile directory while Firefox is closed to remove the thread from the cache yourself.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

||||||| posted:

Yeah Biznatio never claimed to have clean code.

SALR was originally a "let's learn how to make a Firefox extension" project, so it was never built on a good foundation. :p

Of the things to be embarassed about in the codebase, the SALRHexToNumber function is probably the least embarassing of them all.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Toiletbrush posted:

--edit: It appears the culprit is the forum navigator, that bogs down everything. The page navigator in threads has also a slight degrading effect, but it's barely noticable (only if you're sensitive to frame rates).

I've noticed Firefox 3 seems a lot slower in general if there are fixed-position elements on the page. It's a pretty crap regression.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Dr Tran posted:

Is New World Order an easter egg or has GBS not updated yet?

If your SA menu has the forum names from last night (when the old WorstAdminEver gag was pulled out of the closet again) on it still, just restart Firefox and visit a thread, it should clean itself up.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Fermata posted:

Whenever I try to go to read new posts in the live forums this happens:

Yet it works perfectly when I go to it via my User Control Panel.

From the top of every page on the forums:

quote:

We will be conducting a bit of maintenance this afternoon. Please do not report problems.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

duz posted:

Also, would moving the paginator from the corner to the status bar (to get rid of the FF3 slowdown) be a good idea or do many people hide the status bar?

That would work for me. Or moving it to the top right corner (since scrolling down is a lot more common than scrolling up; and being on the top it won't affect the redraw for downscrolls).

Or maybe making it fill the whole width would help perf. Of course you'd need something to fill the extra space on the fixed bar, maybe throw the forum breadcrumb bar on it, along with some other nav options. Who knows.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

duz posted:

It's supposed to be between Tools and Help. That's the only place I've ever seen it.

It was originally between Bookmarks and Tools. I noticed it moved a space to the right when jumped over to the FF3 betas.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

averagebloke posted:

Does anyone else have a problem with scrolling when the forum navigator is in the bottom right on FF3? On a thread that is still on the first page scrolling is fine for me because the navigator is not there. Any thread longer than one page seems sluggish when scrolling and I think it is down to the navigator.

It is the navigator. It's a known issue with Firefox 3. There were discussions a few pages back about moving the page navigator into the status bar (or somewhere else) so it doesn't affect the redraw speed of page scrolls.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Crotch Bat posted:

This has been an unholy pain in the rear end. Not bitching at you biz, take your time and whatnot, this is just loving frustrating.

Well certainly don't bitch at me. I haven't been active in SALR development for quite a while now due to lack of free time.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Revolvyerom posted:

So when you hit "O", how will it know that you're going to stop at that single letter, and that quick-search should ignore it and SALR should pick it up?

If a second, non-hotkey letter is pressed within a small time window after the "O", open up the quick find bar and send both "O" and the additional keystroke to it.

Though, that's astoundingly unintuitive behavior, especially since the first hotkey keystroke might have started a page navigation. I'd make the default option to just disable find-as-you-type entirely on forum pages (though still allow a "/" keystroke to open the quick find bar). Then if someone was so inclined they could re-enable find-as-you-type activation for non-hotkey keystrokes and remap the keyboard nav hotkeys to somewhere less likely to cause a conflict, like the numpad.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Throwing out there that the message on the post authentication failure screen about SALR possibly causing problems isn't new. It was added way back when they added the first formkey system to authenticate posts to the forums, and that was back when I was still working on SALR, so it's been there a few years at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

astral posted:

Long enough that I don't remember when it didn't; it's one of my favorite features.

My memory's a bit foggy, but I'm pretty sure that was functionality I added into SALR; so it's been in there a long rear end time.

• Locked thread