Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

For some reason I'm getting errors trying to create an account to make a feature request so I'll post it here:

Would love a toggle to hide the 'Buddy List' div in my control panel. Will never use it and would like my bookmarks to have all the horizontal space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That is like 100% crazy person behavior.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hmm it fits fine in the OSX version. I hate the little arrow pointing down. I know why it's there, but it messes with alignment and I think you can afford to lose it and still have that function discoverable.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

astral posted:

I've been doing some work on cleaning up / reunifying SALR's menu code, and while I'm in there it's a good time to start getting some input: What should we do about SALR-starring threads?

For those who may not be familiar, starring a thread with SALR is an old, old feature. To star a thread, you can either right-click any post from within that thread and, using SALR's context menu, star or unstar the current thread. Alternatively, you can right-click a thread in a thread list to star or unstar it. Starring a thread puts it into a list. This list can be pinned to the SALR menu for quick and convenient access to those threads.

I don't use the feature myself, but here are my thoughts:

It probably needs a name other than 'star'. Although the idea of keeping the name 'star' and visually representing starred threads as bookmarks might be funny, it would just lead to even more confusion. That doesn't even take into account mod/admin stars, so let's just assume stars and the name 'star' are out entirely. 'Pinned' might be decent, but people might confuse that with forum stickies.

We should consider adding some sort of graphic to show "This thread is [starred]." Perhaps the graphic could help streamline the process of [starring] and/or un[starring] threads.

There was one suggestion to include a graphical representation of [starring] to SALR'S bottom-right corner page navigator, but that might make things a bit cluttered and, until we can resolve the name issue, would be extremely confusing.

Beyond that? Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Instead of coming up with solutions I would first ask if it's necessary to have the feature.

If a good amount of users use it (and not like 2 dudes) then maybe call it "Reading List" and use a pair of glasses icon.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It sounds like you're talking about the native bookmarking / coloring, no?

Also, I was wondering, how much work is it / does it make sense to add a textarea for custom CSS? Currently I use a plugin to change CSS JUST for SA and I'd love to not even use it. There's already so many coloring options I feel like themeing isn't that far out of scope. (I also have a theme I enjoy that I could help you start with ;) )

The Dave fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Woohoo tab preferences!

• Locked thread