Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is it possible to hide the "quote" button for your own posts?

I know it's my own drat fault, but I've twice now accidentally quoted myself instead of editing my post. I wouldn't think it would be any harder than hiding the "edit" button for other users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Revolvyerom posted:

Is it possible to get an option to strip the "Post" button from viewing threads, much like the options to block "Report" on yourself, and "Edit" on others?

And how about removing the 'Quote' button from our own posts too?

I couldn't tell how many times I've stupidly hit 'quote' instead of 'edit' and ended up with a double post.

But otherwise, I have infinite love for SALR.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Ignore this - the problem wasn't SALR. Reposting in the Haus of Tech Support.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 9, 2009

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I've just reinstalled everything and I've bloody forgotten how to get mods and admin backgrounds to highlight to make their posts obvious.

I thought I had everything set up okay, like this:

But when I view posts by mods/admins, all I get is the standard little star next to their name and their posts aren't coloured any different from any other ones.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 13, 2011

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I have WindowsBlinds setup to change them randomly. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they suck.

Sometimes you get a massive wall of orange.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Is it SALR that's decided to hide the "Rap Sheet" option under peoples' posts?

I just opened the forums in IE (I feel so dirty) and it was still there. But in Firefox, it's gone.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Thanks, that was it. NoScript was blocking googleapis.com. Don't know why or when I set it to do that, but there you go.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I've got a weird bug that's just started in the last two days where I can't select the "bookmark this thread" option at the bottom of each page of a thread.

When I click it I get "Failed to alter bookmark" in a little popup window.

I'm using SALR 1.99.110622 and Firefox 5.0

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I must have gotten lucky. All I did when I upgraded was use the Add-On Compatibility Reporter extension to turn back on every extension that Firefox tried to turn off.

A quick restart and everything worked.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I use a Greasemonky script called SA Thumbnail Fix that works great with SALR and doesn't lead to image distortion.

As the [timg] command loads the full-sized image anyway, the script lets you change how big it gets displayed.

I set it to display thumbnails up to 1200 in either dimension because I was so bloody sick of clicking on endless thumbnails in image threads to see what they were.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
If you want something that will open multiple links anywhere, Snap Links Plus is loving incredible.

Right click and drag to select the links you want to open. Although my screen shot doesn't want to show the mouse cursor, it's right next to the popup showing how many links I'm about to open.

I seriously can't use the internet without it anymore.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I like to open half a dozen or so at a time. That way, I don't have to wait for anything to finish loading by the time I get to it.

Plus it's great for google results pages.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It just does all on its own.

I don't know how it works, but it's the only extension I've tried that works like this and understands that I only want to open the main link and not all the underlinks. That's part of why I love using it so much.

Now, if I were to focus on the page links, I can certainly open them all. Like this:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
You know, I've been wondering that for ages. Thanks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Is it possible to change the font size on the thread lists in the control panel? I know you can just hold Ctrl and mouse wheel up to increase font size, but that increases it everywhere.

This is what I'm currently seeing:

GBS thread list:

Control Panel thread list:

Just enough of a difference in font sizes to tickle me right in the OCD. Also, very slightly annoying to read.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Thanks. I'll make that my new bookmark.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Perfect! I just pasted the code into a new style and that did the trick.

I don't know how I'd use Firefox without Stylish and Greasmonkey.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Didn't there used to be an option in SALR to let you see the whole title of embedded Youtube videos if you moused over them? So many videos have titles too long for the embedded video box

Like this:

I can also never seem to get the embedded videos to show as "gigantic" despite selecting them in the configuration menu. Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I was having that issue on occasion as well, but if I switch off the forums embedder all my videos stop being embedded and turn back into links. The videos all now play fine and in the proper size I selected in SALR, but all look like this:

Is there any other setting I need to select to get them to embed?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 22, 2013

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
But that means I have to click an extra time! [/first world problems]

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Sereri posted:

On the other hand video-packed threads aren't a million miles to scroll. Why do you even turn off embedding in the first place if you want them embedded?

I only tried turning it off because I was getting playback errors similar to the user two posts above mine.

I'm not fussed by having to scroll down long pages, I can click my scrollwheel and I've set that to "page down".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
In the SALR preferences, go to Forums, Icons and make sure the checkboxes aren't selected.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Is it possible to add a way to resize the default thumbnail size? I love the image scaling feature for standard [img] tagged images. The default [timg] is too damned small and I hate expanding them one after the other in posts with lots of images.

Once upon a time there was a greasemonkey script, but it hasn't worked in a very long time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

astral posted:

Have a link to it?

Here you go:

For Greasemonkey: SA Thumbnail Fix

For it to work you needed to block "http://forums.somethingawful.com/js/vb/postimages.js" but with the updated forums, that script doesn't exist anymore.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

This is a forums bug, but it can be easily fixed with SALR probably.

When someone posts an image from imgur, if the image url ends with certain letters (I believe s, l, and m at least, there might be others), the forums remove the last letter, breaking the image url. It creates a timg (which points to the correct url) and the timg is also a link to the image (with a now incorrect url). When SALR automatically expands timg'd images, it points to the broken url instead of the correct timg url.

Oh so THAT'S what's been causing it! I've been banging my head for ages thinking it was some issue with No Script, Ad Block or one of my extensions or Greasemonkey/Stylish scripts :doh:

I knew if you quoted the post you could see the image again, but never made the connection that it was the forums themselves messing up the unaltered link.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I just noticed that when people quote a post with an image in it without using [timg], the image isn't affected by SALR settings.

User posts a stupidly tall image that is properly resized by SALR according to the settings I selected. It then gets quoted again and again as an [img] and is displayed at its full height.

I know it's a stupid GBS thread, and a trivial issue. But I've seen a couple of things happen with quoted posts* with SALR seeming to not work inside quotes. Mainly with respect to how images are treated.

*which have currently slipped my mind, sorry but it's currently our 4th day of 45°C and my brain isn't working so good.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 17, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Goddamn, wrong tab open.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 29, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Thanks for the update! Hiding avatars is great for all annoying those people with bloody seizure gifs. I have the toggle gifs extension but it doesn't remember setting between uses.

In the custom user highlighting and notes section, is it possible to alphabetise or otherwise sort the entries? I tend to add quite a few users to it when they post something interesting (or stupid) so I can remember them if I see one of their posts later. Going back to add to their entry can be quite a challenge when all the users are in no particular order.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

astral posted:

:siren: v1.99.140606:siren:

• Clicking the "Add Coloring/Note" button now automatically selects that user in the list box.

Now, that's a fast response! I only wish IT at worked was a tenth as good.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Speaking of search - next to each post is the little "?" to show every post that person has made in a thread. Sometimes I want to find a post I've made in a thread but the only way to do so is to either post again or hunt down one of my old posts and click the "?" there. Which can be hard in a massive thread. Or a closed one.

Would it be possible to add the "show posts by this user" question mark next to the SALR search box and the "Who posted" at the top of each page?

Or I've missed an incredibly obvious and easy way to find old posts in a thread and have been doing it the hard way all this time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Gorilla Salad posted:

Or I've missed an incredibly obvious and easy way to find old posts in a thread and have been doing it the hard way all this time.

:doh:

\/\/That's great, thanks. I was just going to map &userid=42386 to one of my extra mouse buttons, but that's a lot nicer.

Thanks again.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 19, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I've seen several people say SALR now makes webm files display inline now. But it doesn't for me. Is there a specific option I need to use?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Forgot there was a Chrome version. And you're right, I just installed it in my copy of Chrome and it has a "convert webm/gifycat to inline" option.

EDIT: Wow, the Chrome version has a tonne of really cool stuff in it.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 7, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Do you see the "Add Coloring/Note" button below a person's post? Use that.

I've got half a dozen colors I use for people who are generally informative, or stupid, or trolls, etc. Makes it a breeze to scroll past idiots.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The PYF threads have started getting more and more of them.

Who wouldn't want to see this gymnastic robot inline?

http://i.imgur.com/nKgg9Vu.gifv

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Testing with little gymnastic robot:

http://i.imgur.com/nKgg9Vu.gifv

No little gymnastic robot for me :(

If I click the link I get this:

Let's try a webm:

http://zippy.gfycat.com/RemorsefulJoyfulChupacabra.webm

Yess! Webms work perfectly.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 13, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Do the gifv files work for you, or is it just me they're broken for?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Great, now I have to to figure out why my crap is busted. I can watch them fine if I open them as links, just not inline :sigh:

Still, at least I know the extension's good :thumbsup:

EDIT - Well turns out I can watch the gifv files in the gif thread, but still not the little robot gymnast, no matter how hard I try. This must be one of those pyrrhic victories.

\/\/Yeah, it's obvious at this point that it's my computer playing up. Maybe if I turn the computer off and try again tomorrow it'll fix things. Hell, it's worked before.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 13, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
EDIT - Yep. a new profile fixed it and now everything works fine. Knew it was my computer. And thanks to everyone for their help.

Of course, now I have to get everything else as I like it. All those extensions and scripts :sigh:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

astral posted:

I've been doing some work on cleaning up / reunifying SALR's menu code, and while I'm in there it's a good time to start getting some input: What should we do about SALR-starring threads?

I star a lot of threads. I find it useful to have threads in different colours because I usually browse the forums from the control panel and it lets me spot the threads from different forums which I've colour-coded.

I'm actually of the opinion you should put in more colours, but I'm probably the only person who'd argue that.

\/\/You're right. It's been so long since I've viewed the forums without Last Read, I thought that was part of the extension. I mean, let's face it, most everything that works good on SA is because of Last Read.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 21, 2015

• Locked thread