Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

This is just for clarification's sake: right now, the thread coloring in the forum indexes is NOT working, right? But everything else--user highlighting, in-thread coloring, mouse gestures--is all fine, correct? I just want to make sure that I am in the same boat as everyone. With changes and tweaks to user CPs, I just like to double check that I'm reading right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

I assume this is a forums thing, but if a thread goes unupdated for so long, the coloring resets. That's a forum-side issue, right? It's mainly a problem with stickied threads.

EDIT: Weirdly, though, the internal thread coloring is still there. Odd.

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 18, 2007

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Random error with the new update: my right-click still brings up the navigation arrows, and they work fine within threads, but not in forums. They still appear, but do nothing.

EDIT: Well, the up arrow seems to refresh at least, but it doesn't take me up a level. The left/right do nothing. In-thread works totally fine, though.

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 29, 2007

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

kapinga posted:

I love the mouse gesture arrows in thread, but I've never been able to get them to do anything at all (except refresh, like you mentioned) at the forum level.

It would be awesome if the up arrow could take you up to the main forum level.

Mine used to. :( Maybe I had some crazy alternate universe version of SALR.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Quoting isn't working for me, and for some reason special names are colored, but the caption text isn't added and none of the background coloring is done for them. Does that make sense?

Probably something stupid on my end--if so, I apologize. You guys are awesome to do so much work on this, and I appreciate it.

EDIT: Huh. Seems to work if the thread/post is read already, but not when it's unread. Weird.

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 30, 2007

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

I feel bad complaining again--I really don't want to be that negative guy--but is anyone else having some serious up-and-down issues with SALR this morning? Sometimes it's working, sometimes it's not--for instance, I can't get it to work in this thread at all. I was looking at GBS and it wouldn't load; I refreshed, and it came up fine. I can't figure out why.

Anyways, thanks for listening...

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

As always, thanks for the hard work. Almost every issue I mentioned earlier has cleared up for me--I think the forums were having some load time issues, and that was killing me.

However, for some reason, the post coloring for special users (i.e., the posters I choose to add special colors to) only seems to work AFTER the thread has been read. If their post is unread, the user name is colored, but not the background. That's not how it's supposed to work, is it?

Anyways, the extension is awesome. Kudos for getting the right-click thing fixed so quickly. Thanks muchly for all the hard work.

Edit: Am I crazy, or did the SALR right-click options not used to show up on non-SA pages? I just right clicked on a friend's blog and had them in the menu.

EDIT 2: Gone now. Never mind.

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 2, 2007

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

duz posted:

I'm pretty sure I fixed that last night, has it still been like that today?

The quote is working now, but the user coloring doesn't seem to be. At least, not for me...works fine AFTER it's read, though. The quoting me coloring works all the time, though.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

foghorn posted:

And I say more power to the lazy peoples of the world!

I guess I could just make a greasemonkey script that does it for me...

Actually, I asked about this feature at one point and a lot of people thought it sounded cool. I don't know that it can be done, but there was a lot of interest.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

This has been posted a couple of times, but not since last year, so I thought I would mention it. If you are looking at a single user's post in a thread (using the ? link), the mouse gestures don't work - they take you to the regular thread, not to the next page of their posts. Just an FYI...

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Crash posted:

I may be misunderstanding you, but clicking on your '?' gives me a threadview with just your posts in this thread (10 at the moment), in other words: works fine for me! :confused:

Sorry, here's what I mean: if the person has enough posts to go to two pages (try this, for instance), if you try to use the mouse gestures to go to the second page of their posts, it will navigate back into the regular thread, not more of their posts. Does that make any more sense?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

It's not much of an issue, but SALR seems to choke on this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2813241

I assume it's because of the MIDI and whatnot. Not a big deal, but I didn't know if you guys would want to know.

EDIT: gently caress. Works now. Ignore what I just said - sorry for bumping. I swear I loaded that thread three times and it didn't work. :sigh:

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

duz posted:

You can set extensions.salastread.disabled to true to disable SALR without restarting the browser.

Given that most of what SALR does is now on the forums end, and most of the settings it now uses are controlled more directly by the users, do you think it might be time to disable that screen? I know it was a big issue for a while with people being idiots, but that may have stopped thanks to the change in usage.

Alternatively, have you considered adding a link to the bottom of the screen saying something like "If you KNOW this isn't an SALR issue, click here to continue, and risk being banned for asking about SALR like the big idiot you are"?

Like I said, I know exactly why the screen went up, and I don't disagree with it, but I wonder if the change in what the extension does might result in the reduction of that screen's usefulness.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

For some reason, when I use the page navigation in the comedy goldmine (not in a thread, in the index), it doesn't go to the second page of threads; it brings back up the first page, but keeps all the other pages from being displayed. It doesn't even show the "Page 1 2 3" thing; it's as if they're all gone. Does that make any sense?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

This is totally minor, since apparently I'm one of the few people who actually uses this tag, but is there a reason why the [list] tag doesn't show up correctly in the live preview window?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

All right, I've read through the last couple of pages, and didn't see anything about this. If I missed it, please feel free to flame the poo poo out of me.

Every time I look at a single post since the new forum update, I get the following error message (click for larger):

The page seems to load fine, but SALR doesn't load for that page. So, it's more of a nuisance than anything, but I still wonder why.

EDIT: Also, a question. I really like the "down arrow" feature on the page navigator that jumps to the newest reply - it's useful when you're at the end of a thread and want to check for new answers. Is there any reason that can't be added into the mouse gestures as well?

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 11, 2008

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

:doh: Thanks. I feel kind of dumb now, but I appreciate the info.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Just upgraded to FF3, and have no major issues, but one really minor one - more of a curiosity than an issue: is the background image on the SA menu gone for everyone, or just me? Like I said, no other concerns, but just wanted to make sure this wasn't a symptom of something bigger.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

2 small questions.

1. I asked a while back about getting the functionality for the [list] tag added into the preview window at least, if not the code button. I know it was mentioned, but I also know that the FF3 issues have taken the foreground. Would this still be doable?

2. I know we can currently click on the reply count column to get a list of users, and then click on the number of replies to see all their posts. Can we get that in a new window, or a tab in the original window, rather than opening in the small and unmanageable window that pops up with the reply counts?

Thanks for all your hard work. I don't know what I'd do without this extension.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Is anyone else having some weird issues with the "Add coloring/note" feature? It colors/notes fine, but the "add coloring/note" link doesn't always actually add them to the list, and the "Delete User" deletes them sometimes, doesn't delete them others, and sometimes just deletes their coloring, not their name or any notes. Or is this some weird issue on my end?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Is there any chance at some point of fixing the quick reply window so that applying vB code doesn't result in your cursor being thrown back to the top of the page again? It's fairly frustrating, because I tend to type my post then format it, and it gets old trying to scroll through everything again. If it's a limitation of Firefox, no biggie.

Also, I asked at some point about adding [list] functionality to the quick preview window - is that doable at all?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Okay, I may be grumbled at for asking something that's been asked, but I noticed that ignored threads not working isn't in the known issues. Yet, I can't get mine to stay ignored. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I have to ignore a thread twice for it to disappear, but it will come back very soon thereafter.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

This has been stable for me, and great, but I wondered if I could make two requests:

1. When old images are hidden, it says "click here to see" - is there a way to make them revealed in the thread, instead of in a new window? Or is there a way to turn off that feature if you're, say, using the "?" feature to see posts from just one person? Just a thought.

2. Is there a way you can underline the letters in the vB code that are the shortcuts? I never can remember what the shortcuts are for things like urls and spoiler, and I'd use them all the time.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Liface posted:

Everyone else's skinning looks this messed up, right? This is on a brand new Firefox profile. My other computer is doing it as well.

If you're talking about the red/blue buttons, you need to go to the configure button and uncheck these boxes - that will put it back on the forum buttons.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Is there a list somewhere in the menu or setup screen of the keyboard shortcuts? Or is there a way to add them into the vB code dropdown menu. I mean, even something as simple as "Bold", "Underline", and so forth would be perfect. I don't need it for those as much as the ones that aren't immediately obvious. (I can't figure out URL to save my life.)

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Has the right-click menu disappeared for everyone, or just me?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

ryanbruce posted:

Gone for me too. Not sure how long since I never use it.

Yeah, me neither - I just went to ignore a thread in CD to keep me from accidentally clicking on it and ruining a movie for myself and found that it's not there anymore.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Must be a 3.5 thing - I'm on 3.5 and don't have the menu.

pik_d posted:

If I rightclick I get "ignore this thread" and "star this thread" in the SALR menu. Is there more to it that is missing or is that it?

No, that's it. I don't have the SALR right-click menu at all.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Is Quick Reply going nuts for anyone else? I keep getting the following message:

code:
getEmoticonsFromServer() error:
TypeError: emotArray is null
and it pops up over and over again, not letting me type.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

astral posted:

Update! v1.99.100804 (this build is NOT up on addons.mozilla, so don't try to get it there!)

Changes:

In this update, SALR adds a "Search thread" box to showthread pages.

:siren:Read these notes!:siren:
  • This search box requires a platinum SA account to work since it uses SA's new search.
  • It will show up (but not work) in archives.
  • It can be hidden with an salr pref in the threads prefpane (if you don't have plat or don't want to see it).
  • It should self-destruct if/when the forums thread search box comes back.

:aaaaa:

This is awesome. Thank you so, so much for this!

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

I have a question, but I don't know if it's doable at all. I like using the "hide read images" option or whatever it's called - the one that converts images in read posts. Sometimes, though, especially as I'm tracing back quoted posts, I'd like to be able to display the images. I know you can click them, but that always opens them as a new link. Would it be possible to simply load the image within the thread?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Weird incident - I was scanning through some old posts in a thread, and I had a post that consisted of this:

quote:

:woop::dance::woop:

However, for some reason it converted the middle emoticon to a link (like an already read image), but not the other two.

A) I thought emoticons weren't supposed to be converted?
B) Why did only the middle one get converted but not the other two?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

vortmax posted:

I absolutely love the new cancer treatment option. Opaque with the biohazard background is just lovely. Thanks for the great work on this.

Yeah, this looks really sharp. It sets the posts aside while not making you hover. And it looks really nice. Thanks!

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

real_scud posted:

Scroll up then and install the Firefox Add-on Compatibility Manager to allow you to run any add-on with any version of FF

I installed this, but it doesn't seem to activate my SALR - even when I enable the Compatibility Manager, it says SALR isn't compatible with FF6. Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

EDIT: Never mind, I finally got it working. Took a few restarts first.

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One thing I just noticed: a while back, the forums re-did the "Who posted?" window to get away from a small javascript window; however, the "Who posted?" link SALR adds to the window still uses the javascript, whose window is a lot harder to see and work with. Does that make sense?

• Locked thread