Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Edit: found answer on first page of thread. Who woulda thought?

Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Anyone else having trouble downloading from RubyForge? All last night and today I haven't been able to get more than around 8KB of a file before the download died.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Anyone have any recommendations for graphing packages? I'm looking for something that can dynamically generate graphs using database data.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll be giving flot a try. Does anyone have experience using any flot related gems? Are they any good? I saw there was one called flotilla, but it doesn't look like its been added to gemcutter yet.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

One final setup question, does anyone know a good editor to use? Preferably something that will show my file directory so I can swap around easier. I was using netbeans for RoR in Windows and really liked the way it worked.
Syntax highlighting would be a bonus too.
Why not stick with Netbeans since you like it and know it already?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Mac users, what makes up your rails development environment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Thanks for all the OSX setups. I'm trying out Sublime now too.

Question: I'm building my first rails app with the goal of both learning rails (and web development in general) and hopefully eventually releasing something that people will use (lots of people :v: ). I was planning on using SQLite, but after seeing that many people here are using postgres, I'm wondering if should I use postgres from the get go. I'm under the impression that SQLite isn't suited for significant traffic in production for an app that can be write intensive, since the entire DB is locked on each write. If there's a chance I'll have to migrate to Postgres on production, should I just start development with Postgres, or should I start with SQLite and worry about migration when performance actually becomes a problem?