Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

RonaldMcDonald posted:

:words: take this php and write it in ruby on rails

Novo posted:

:words: no problem man

I just want to make a quick note here.

RonaldMcDonald's php code is less than 15 lines of simple, easy-to-follow php.
Novo's ruby/rails code is almost 30 lines spread across 4 files (and ends his post with "Simple." :v: ).

If you've never heard of MVC or haven't used any web frameworks before you may think that Novo is nuts. He's not. Although the ruby he posted is definitely more complicated structurally than the equivalent non-framework php, this is actually how anything larger than a very simple dynamic website should be done, with presentation (html) separate from logic (db access et al).

Edit: I know almost nothing about ruby or rails, but something that keeps me from diving in head first is...well, the concept of automated db access in general. Am I really going to let something write my sql for me? I really enjoy hammering out a nice query that does exactly what I need it to do, complete with inner/outer joins, unions, subselects, likes, ins, and whatever else is necessary with the appropriate indexes. For simple "select * from table where col=value" queries fine, do it for me, I won't mind. But for anything complex, can I take over? I know Hibernate allows me to take over when necessary. I don't yet trust the efficiency of a cruise controlled database.

epswing fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 9, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

deimos posted:

Yeah but RonaldMcDonald's code only does one thing. Novo's code is set up so that you can add another part for the page very easily.

I uh...maybe you didn't read my post.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Hi!

I've had a bitnami redmine 1.0.2 stack running for about a year. It came with...

ruby 1.8.7
rails 2.3.9
rack 1.0.1

Now I want to bring redmine up to date, to version 1.3.0. http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/wiki/RedmineInstall tells me 1.3.x requires...

ruby 1.8.7
rails 2.3.14
rack 1.1.x

So I can't just replace the application files, I'd also need to update rails and rack. So it's probably in my interest to use a fresh bitnami redmine 1.3.0 stack because it will come with all the necessary dependencies, none of which I have any experience using and/or keeping up to date (which was the point of using a bitnami stack in the first place).

But if I just back up the database / conf files / uploaded files, uninstall the 1.0.2 stack, and install the 1.3.0 stack, the database schema will be different, so I won't likely be able to just use the old database.

How do I do this?

epswing fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 2, 2012

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Hi folks! I'm updating Redmine from 1.3.1 to 2.0.3, which involves updating rails 2 to rails 3, among other things.

My current installation is actually a bitnami redmine stack on windows. It installed fine and has been working great for a year now.

I think my options are

(A) try to update rails and rake and all the other things that redmine 2.0.3 requires, and then work my way through the redmine upgrade guide.

(B) store a mysqldump of the database, uninstall the bitnami redmine 1.3.1 stack, install the bitnami redmine 2.0.3 stack (which will have all the necessary dependencies), restore the database, and run "rake db:migrate RAILS_ENV=production" to update the 1.3.1 database to the 2.0.3 schema.

Which one seems like less of a headache?