Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

And then the doorbell would ring and the next santa would come
I've spent all day trying to get prawnto & prawn to render layouts. I want to shoot myself in the face and I think I'm just going to hack something up so that ... something something and then it works.

In short, someone make a better PDF creation plugin for rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

So, Baltimore it is for railsconf. I think that at least a few attendees will have to be murdered for expectations to be met.

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

Without having any experience using paperclip, could it be an ImageMagick problem?

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

Sewer Adventure posted:

Hey guys I made a plugin because the Ack/grep bundles were good but not quite good enough
http://github.com/briancollins/nice_find
You are a good person.

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

I think that as an addition to the encoding checks, that makes a lot of sense. Just include a readme explaining what you did and that a failure in one of those tests shouldn't imply that it absolutely for sure won't work.

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

Pardot posted:

So who else is headed out to Baltimore?
Based there, but probably only going to Bohconf. Have fun getting murdered, suckers.

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

Pardot posted:

Come now, you don't need those parens ;)

Don't forget the code cleanup they did a while back
code:
website = make_me_a_website :with_my_stuff_in_it
website = oh_and_make_it_use_my database
put_this_on_my_server_please website

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

Just throwing this out there, but if anyone's working on an upgrade from 2->3, remember to switch to jquery at the same time. Definitely worth it.

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

I swear that sometime in the last month I read something about a new rails 3 engine or app that acted like django-admin. Any help?

edit: hurrr http://github.com/sferik/rails_admin

dustgun fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 26, 2010

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

Does anyone here have experience making a versioned API in rails? I'm wondering if there are any sort of best-practices or lessons learned out there as far as organizing routes and controllers and models go.

dustgun fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 20, 2010

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

http://embed.ly/ can also be useful for such things.

edit: woop, ruby-oembed apparently can use embedly. Carry on.

dustgun fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 28, 2010

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

For rails 3:
code:
@tattoos = Tattoo.includes(:user).limit(50)

Rails 2:
code:
@tattoos = Tattoo.find(:all, :limit => 50, :include => :user)
and then get the username from tattoo.user.username in your loop, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

dustgun fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 11, 2011

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

rugbert posted:

Oh cool thanks!

Is there a good Add This gem or something? I tried adding the add this code to my posts but when you click it, it likes the current page and not the current post :/
Can you post the code you're using?

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

Trying to get 3.1 running on dreamhost.
Shoot me.

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

Any of you fine folks doing something for the Rails 3.1 Hackfest next week?
I'm gearing up to upgrade my company's app to 3.1 anyways, so being able to really bug the hell out of core people when I run into any problems appeals to me. Deeply.

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

8ender posted:

Any idea if 3.1 is going to be dramatically different than 3.0? I'm in the same boat and just to see how bad things were I upgraded one of our 2.3.11 apps yesterday and it was oddly painless. I think I changed one or two lines of code but everything just worked. I was kind of expecting apocalyptic app failure across the board but it doesn't look like all that much changed in the core MVC parts of rails.
I tried to see if I could a more-or-less-in-place upgrade with 3.1rc1 and it didn't go too well for us. Mind, this is an app that's been upgraded in bits and pieces since 1.3ish, so there are some parts that use really old idioms or code, but we keep dragging it forward just the same. I imagine most issues we have will involve places that we did bad things to rack and rails.

Everything except the new asset pipeline looks pretty consistent, though, which is nice after the giant ActiveRecord changes last time around. So many queries to rewrite.. so many..

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

Does anyone here run selenium tests over a dozen or so VMs? I'm gearing to finalize our setup (such as things can be finalized) and am interested if there are any oddball things I'm not thinking of that have tripped people up in the past.

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

Ok, I'm crying uncle: How do I get rid of pages and pages of
code:
Started GET "/assets/layout/footer.png" for 127.0.0.1 at 2012-02-22 21:20:59 -0500

Started GET "/assets/layout/header-bg.png" for 127.0.0.1 at 2012-02-22 21:20:59 -0500

Started GET "/assets/layout/footer_bg.png" for 127.0.0.1 at 2012-02-22 21:20:59 -0500

Started GET "/images/ticks/ajax-loader.gif" for 127.0.0.1 at 2012-02-22 21:20:59 -0500
per request in dev testing with rails s thin ?

dustgun fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

Pardot posted:

Why do you want to get rid of them? It's useful to have access logs. Logs are streams.
I'm treating it like a stream right now and pipping it through grep, and I guess I just can't quite articulate why I don't need dozens of GET requests logged (streamed, whatever) of static, unchanging images per page to development.log beyond "it's dumb and worthless information". God know that file can kill my greps enough as-is. Maybe I'll start streaming nyan cat each request to Rails.logger too, because that'll at least cheer me up.

That came out a bit bitchier than I wanted. Sorry.

prom candy posted:

I think I read on Github or Stack Overflow that suppressing the asset log messages is an option that's coming soon.
code:
config.assets.logger = false
It just removes Served asset blahblahblah.png - 304 Not Modified (1ms). Hopefully more is coming.