Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!

Space Kimchi posted:

It's more like, I don't get the logic at all behind the requests and responses. Indeed, I probably need to "get" Prototype more. I'll just have to play with it a bit, I think last time I was messing with it I started examining the xmlhttprequests and everything and figured out what it was doing and it started to make SOME sense.

If you aren't using Firebug, start. That's step one, step two, and step three.

Argue posted:

Speaking of AJAX, is there some kind of way to retrieve an instance of a model as a javascript object? I mean, if you have a model called Book, and it has the fields title, description, ISBN, is there a function that will let me go myBook = theFunction(myBookId), such that I can say myBook.title, etc?

Jester does this. Looks cool, but I haven't tried it personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!

shopvac4christ posted:

I have a rake task that is supposed to download and extract a '.zip' file. I'm running system commands, so something like
code:
`unzip -f -d #{extract_dir} #{zip_file}`
It's not portable, but I switched from zipfilesystem because every time I attempted to do the extraction with zipfilesystem, I would get an error about a corrupt archive. But now this code won't work either - the unzip command, both on my dev machine and the live server, says the archive is corrupt, which is bullshit because I can cancel the rake task and run the command it runs, and everything works perfectly.

Someone I spoke to suggested a permissions error, but I doubt I would get this message if it were a permissions error:

Of course, that last line is also bullshit, since that's exactly where the archive is.

Sounds more like you've got a space in your path name (or some other character that needs escaping). Wrap your paths in single-quotes.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

rolocroz posted:

What's the best way to get Ruby installed on Windows XP? Last time, I tried the one-click installer, but that installed a bunch of crap I don't want and couldn't unselect (some IDE, if I recall correctly, and some other stuff that was hard to remove). I tried just downloading the plain Ruby 1.8.6 binary from ruby-lang.org, which seemed promising, but it turns out that that's missing lots of DLLs that are required by RubyGems and other such things. Do I have to use the one-click installer, or is there a better option?

You couldn't unselect ScITE? That's the only unnecessary thing it installs, if I recall correctly, and you can opt out of it.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

Grob posted:

Interesting, I didn't know effect queues were supported by RJS!

Having said that it wouldn't solve the problem I had above as updating an element isn't an animation, but it would solve the initial question :)

Effect.Event is a skeleton effect that allows arbitrary functions to be treated as effects for the purpose of queueing.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

Grob posted:

Yes, but I was talking about RJS. It's not hard to trigger an arbitrary function call for a visual effect when writing your own Javascript, the issue is doing it from RJS.

I'd put all that behavior into JavaScript, then call it via RJS.
code:
// JS:
Foo.bar = function() { /* ugly stuff goes here */ }

// RJS:
page.foo.bar()
You can even pass arguments if you need to.

All the simpler RJS statements can remain that way, but this is a good way to put really hairy logic into a black box.

As for this...

Grob posted:

My goal is to avoid writing external javascript files for simple things like fades and updates

RJS isn't a leakproof abstraction. It's really just a way to place Ajax logic in your controller, where it makes sense to live. If you try to write everything in pure RJS, never touching JavaScript at all, you'll just end up uglifying your controllers.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

Austria posted:

For VPS, I can't recommend Slicehost more than enough. They're cheaper than Media Temple, especially if you're going to be hosting just Rails apps (Nginx and Thin is great!). If you'd like to use me as a referrer (it gets me $5 after you sign up for 3 months of hosting, but gets you nothing extra), PM me.

Seconding Slicehost. I just moved from shared hosting to a 256MB slice and the process was ridiculously smooth. A VPS has more of a learning curve than shared hosting, since you're now in charge of everything, but I credit Slicehost's exhaustive library of HOWTOs for easing that transition. I don't run Rails apps on mine, but many others in the Slicehost community do, and they appear to love it.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

jonnii posted:

I use slicehost, they are awesome. Highly recommended.

Thirded.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

Grob posted:

No, some of us have Rails projects in production. Forumwarz, my MMO, is deployed on a dedicated host.

The technology is Nginx proxying to a pack of Mongrels.

I don't have any recommendations for small projects, but if you are doing mid-sized traffic (right now we're doing 20 dynamic rq/sec) a dedicated server is quite affordable at most hosting companies.

I just assumed that since you said you were interested in Phusion that you were working on something smaller.

Off-topic: Forumwarz is awesome. You guys do great stuff on the JavaScript side.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

Panic! at the Fist Jab posted:

I'm trying to throw OpenID at Sinatra, and goddamn is it annoying. The documentation comes with no examples -- which I half feel is an appropriate way to approach the subject, since it's important to understand all of the steps you're going through -- but on top of that, the library is written in a Ruby-esque way... or even at all sometimes.

code:
# File lib/openid/extension.rb, line 14
    def get_extension_args
      raise NotImplementedError
    end
Well, poo poo, that's helpful. On the plus side, I have basic authentication working, but getting SReg extension stuff -- like just a username would be nice -- doesn't seem to be happening. However, it may be the OpenID provider I'm using - Flickr through Yahoo!. Does anybody know how I can find out explicitly if Yahoo! provides an SReg implementation? I don't get anything back in the "openid.signed" param that mentions SReg.

Annoyingly, a lot of major providers don't implement SReg. I don't know if Y! is one of them. But you could try one that definitely does implement SReg, like claimID, and compare the result.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

To each his own, of course — HAML has many zealous users and I'm sure it is well-made — but the trend of applying a Ruby frontend to everything drives me insane.

It's bad enough having to re-learn the best way of doing things every six months when I revisit Rails. People keep inventing their own goddamned DSLs for everything and I don't know how they keep them all straight.

I guess I like the ERB approach to things: HTML with splashes of Ruby, rather than RUBY EVERYTHING.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

Operation Atlas posted:

Eh? Haml isn't any more Ruby than ERB is. Haml is a re-implementation of HTML using a more terse syntax. There are Haml libraries for Python, and several other languages I believe.

Ah, how sloppy of me. I think I was thinking of Markaby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

Operation Atlas posted:

I think Jamis handled this poorly. He should have asked for help a lot earlier, and he could have switched to a "project manager" kind of role a long time ago, kind of like DHH with Rails. For whatever reason, Capistrano was always viewed as "his" project, and bug reports, patches, etc always went through him. That's why he got burnt out, and I think that burn out was completely avoidable.

Yeah, and this comment of his is telling:

Jamis posted:

@Nic, no, there are no other core contributors. I tried once to create something like that, but no one else seemed to have the “passion” or “vision”. Lots of people submitting patches (many of them quite good!), but no one demonstrating a real, general desire to dig into the internals. That’s kind of why I left it like I did—there really wasn’t any heir-apparent that the keys could be left to.

Now, some open-source projects are going to be lucky and get matched up with someone who wants to spend ten hours per week maintaining the drat thing because what the project does just so interesting to that person. But for the most part that's just not how poo poo works.

You can't run a big project like that with just one person, and you can't transition off a project by finding another dictator and dumping it in her lap. If it's big enough that you're getting burned out, you need to change the workflow — pick the part that you like doing most and get other people to help out with the rest.

In other words, if I need to hire a nanny, I'm not going to look for someone who's going to love my kid as much as I do; I'm going to look for someone who knows CPR and can make sandwiches.