Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
From the identify that book/story thread:

Whybird posted:

There's a quote from a particular book that is rattling round in my head and I'm trying to find. A radicalised character who killed his mentor is told something along the lines of: "He believed in you to the end. Right up until the moment your sword entered his heart, he was confident you would do the right thing."

I think maybe this is Death in a Discworld book but I can't place it at all.

It rings a bell, but I can’t think what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
It reads a little like the death of Cruces in Men at Arms, but not exactly on the nose.

Does Teatime do something in Hogfather?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

From the identify that book/story thread:

It rings a bell, but I can’t think what.

First thing that comes to mind is Men At Arms, when Carrot skewers the Assassin. It's been a few years, though.

EDIT: Just checked, it's not that.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 17, 2022

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I almost want to say it sounds like Gormenghast but I know that's not right. The doctor character would say something like that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

angerbeet posted:

I almost want to say it sounds like Gormenghast but I know that's not right. The doctor character would say something like that.
Just read Gormenghast and Titus Groan, can't recall anything like that.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

So on our read through me and the kiddo finished Moving Pictures. that book was a SLOG to read. It had some hilarious visuals near the end with the giant woman hauling around The Librarian like King Kong but to a 7 year old it just was not as engrossing as Eric or Guards Guards!

Reaper Man so far has been a fun read. Last year my wife's grandma died and its taken the kiddo a bit to really come around to what that means but last night after reading a bit with Miss Flitworth and Bill Door, Nova asks "Did Death, the one from the book come to Grandma?" and I wasnt really sure what to say so I took a note from the books and replied with "Do <i>you</i>think He did?" she kinda waits and thinks about it and she goes "I hope so, that way he can take me to see her when i die" and gently caress man, im not made of stone but aint that the sweetest thing? shes already made a lil place for her grandma in her own lil heaven

Im super thankful that i have a kiddo that enjoys being read to, it makes me happy too

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Beer_Suitcase posted:

So on our read through me and the kiddo finished Moving Pictures. that book was a SLOG to read. It had some hilarious visuals near the end with the giant woman hauling around The Librarian like King Kong but to a 7 year old it just was not as engrossing as Eric or Guards Guards!

Reaper Man so far has been a fun read. Last year my wife's grandma died and its taken the kiddo a bit to really come around to what that means but last night after reading a bit with Miss Flitworth and Bill Door, Nova asks "Did Death, the one from the book come to Grandma?" and I wasnt really sure what to say so I took a note from the books and replied with "Do <i>you</i>think He did?" she kinda waits and thinks about it and she goes "I hope so, that way he can take me to see her when i die" and gently caress man, im not made of stone but aint that the sweetest thing? shes already made a lil place for her grandma in her own lil heaven

Im super thankful that i have a kiddo that enjoys being read to, it makes me happy too

Moving Pictures is one of Pratchett's few...it feels sacrilegious to say the man had misses, but it's definitely not better than a foul. He does weirdly pluck Gaspode from it a number of books down the line though. But yeah, they should only get better from there if you're going in order. And it's super awesome that your kid is growing up with Discworld, that's a top five parenting decision right there imo.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Terry said before that having folks towards the end of their lives sending him letters saying they hope Death was like he had written him were the ones that made him have to stop and think.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

CaptainRat posted:

Moving Pictures is one of Pratchett's few...it feels sacrilegious to say the man had misses, but it's definitely not better than a foul. He does weirdly pluck Gaspode from it a number of books down the line though. But yeah, they should only get better from there if you're going in order. And it's super awesome that your kid is growing up with Discworld, that's a top five parenting decision right there imo.

Isn't Moving Pictures also the first appearances of Detritus and Ruby?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Detritus is in Guards! Guards! briefly, but he is also in Moving Pictures, yes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CaptainRat posted:

Moving Pictures is one of Pratchett's few...it feels sacrilegious to say the man had misses, but it's definitely not better than a foul.

Moving Pictures is painfully dependent on knowing all the old movie references, most of which date back to the 1950s or earlier. Soul Music feels very much like an attempt to rectify its flaws - the jokes are less obscure and more clearly explained, and being based on the development of rock and roll they start where Moving Pictures stopped. If you do know your old movies, though, MP has a lot of the cleverest jokes in the series.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Isn't Moving Pictures also the first appearances of Detritus and Ruby?

See above, but Moving Pictures is more importantly the first appearance of Ponder Stibbons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doesn't Ridcully debut in Moving Pictures, actually?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Doesn't Ridcully debut in Moving Pictures, actually?
Reaper Man, I think?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I have a soft spot for Moving Pictures as it was the first Terry book I read. Weirdly I picked it up at a yard sale in the US with a cover I’d never seen before, and it can only have been a year old at that point:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I like Moving Pictures quite a bit. The premise is super fun, it has tons of great individual gags, and although the main characters Victor and Ginger aren't terribly compelling, there's lots of fun side characters with their own fun plots - Detritus, Gaspode, the Librarian, Dibbler and his nephew, etc., and it all comes together satisfyingly at the climax. The huge frequency of references to classic films and film history makes it a bit of a hard one to read to a 7-year-old, though, and probably makes it a bit of hit or miss for a lot of adult readers too.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Moving Pictures and Soul Music are both pretty high on my list of "this would be hilarious if I got any of these jokes" books. So was Maskerade for a while but I've finally seen some musicals so that one makes sense now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Moving Pictures and Soul Music are both pretty high on my list of "this would be hilarious if I got any of these jokes" books.

Soul Music goes out of its way to explain a lot of its jokes (e.g. "Imp y Celyn" is Welsh for "bud of the holly"). I think the deepest cut it doesn't explain directly is that Imp's bardic graduation piece, Sioni Bod Da, translates as "Johnny, be good". Beyond that you can get most of the references just by knowing a few major band names and song titles, having listened to American Pie at some point, and knowing what The Day The Music Died is.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

YggiDee posted:

Moving Pictures and Soul Music are both pretty high on my list of "this would be hilarious if I got any of these jokes" books. So was Maskerade for a while but I've finally seen some musicals so that one makes sense now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I adore the cartoon’s version of Sioni bod da.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVRmWKL4b7k

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nah, it's a fair shout. Maskerade is explicitly based on The Phantom of the Opera, which is best known as a musical, and is about the transition of the form from opera to operetta (which is technically what musicals are). It helps to know a bit about opera, particularly how divas are frequently enormous women in their 40s playing teenage girls because to an opera fan only the voice matters, but you don't really need to know it because the impenetrability of opera to a layman is the joke.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jedit posted:

but you don't really need to know it because the impenetrability of opera to a layman is the joke.

One of my favourite bits of Maskerade is the bloke reading the program (I think?) and having to keep referring to a dictionary.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I finished Moving Pictures the other day. I certainly enjoyed it, but I think I have an above average understanding and knowledge of filmmaking so that might’ve helped.

I don’t remember where I heard it but I heard somewhere that the best time to tie back to a recurring joke is when your audience has *almost* forgotten about it. That’s what I was thinking of at the very end of the book, when the big finale is over, and someone make a passing comment about needing a thousand elephants to pull of something like that again, and I went all :allears: knowing that there was one final loose end to finish off. You reap what you sow, C.M.O.T Dibbler!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

we're on a mission from glod

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
GLOD GLOD GLOD GLOD-

No, that's the second verse!

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

The_Doctor posted:

I adore the cartoon’s version of Sioni bod da.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVRmWKL4b7k

It's great. Back in 2000 I was involved in a stage show of Wyrd Sisters, and it was used as the love theme for Magrat and Verence.

YggiDee posted:

"this would be hilarious if I got any of these jokes"

The Last Continent for me, who at the time had never seen Mad Max, Priscilla Queen of the Desert or Crocodile Dundee, nor knew anything about the Todd River Race, Australian Aboriginal dreamtime mythology or... well, pretty much anything Australian really.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Dave Syndrome posted:

The Last Continent for me, who at the time had never seen Mad Max, Priscilla Queen of the Desert or Crocodile Dundee, nor knew anything about the Todd River Race, Australian Aboriginal dreamtime mythology or... well, pretty much anything Australian really.

Terry Pratchett posted:

She wanted a HOLIDAY in Australia, she said, and if I turned it into work she'd hit me -- so I gave in, because I did not want to be beaten about the Bush.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

Nah, it's a fair shout. Maskerade is explicitly based on The Phantom of the Opera, which is best known as a musical, and is about the transition of the form from opera to operetta (which is technically what musicals are). It helps to know a bit about opera, particularly how divas are frequently enormous women in their 40s playing teenage girls because to an opera fan only the voice matters, but you don't really need to know it because the impenetrability of opera to a layman is the joke.

Oh, OK fair point. I remember it as being more specifically opera but it's been a long time since I read it

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It also ends with lots of veiled references to modern musicals iirc

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HIJK posted:

It also ends with lots of veiled references to modern musicals iirc

They're not veiled, but yes.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
ok, this is the first I'd actually seen a picture of this

no conveniently tiny elephants, but otherwise,

https://twitter.com/Dr_TheHistories/status/1528213251653132288

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think Moving Pictures and Soul Music's biggest weaknesses, other than the domain knowledge pointed out, is that their primary protagonists are simply not that interesting. Like their internal lives and motivation seem lacking as compared to others. That may be because they were one and done characters, but Maskerade et al have similar lore issues (Phantom, Vampires, the fae) but they're anchored by one Agnes Nitt.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love Agnes Nitt.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Scaramouche posted:

I think Moving Pictures and Soul Music's biggest weaknesses, other than the domain knowledge pointed out, is that their primary protagonists are simply not that interesting. Like their internal lives and motivation seem lacking as compared to others. That may be because they were one and done characters, but Maskerade et al have similar lore issues (Phantom, Vampires, the fae) but they're anchored by one Agnes Nitt.

Yeah, in Maskerade the references not landing becomes the joke because you have other characters outside the Opera trying to make sense of it. I loved Soul Music and Moving Pictures but I can really understand why they don't click for some folks. They're reference-driven rather than character-driven in their main humor.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Scaramouche posted:

pratchett thought the same about rincewind, and started to add more main characters.

i quite like rincewind stories, but i agree that he's not an interesting character, he meets and flees from interesting character

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, Agnes feels like a real person in a way that, say, Victor Tugelbend really doesn't. Victor is a funny gag, but "he's so lazy that he spends hours in the gym working out so that he'll have huge muscles so that lifting heavy things won't be hard work" doesn't really work out to an actual person.

(I'm also the one who thinks Witches Abroad is pretty forgettable because Lilith's motivation doesn't make any sense at all.)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

ChubbyChecker posted:

pratchett thought the same about rincewind, and started to add more main characters.

i quite like rincewind stories, but i agree that he's not an interesting character, he meets and flees from interesting character

Where Rincewind goes The Luggage follows, and that’s more than enough. The rest of the world trying to wrap their heads around The Luggage and its mood swings is top tier comedy.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, Agnes feels like a real person in a way that, say, Victor Tugelbend really doesn't. Victor is a funny gag, but "he's so lazy that he spends hours in the gym working out so that he'll have huge muscles so that lifting heavy things won't be hard work" doesn't really work out to an actual person.

(I'm also the one who thinks Witches Abroad is pretty forgettable because Lilith's motivation doesn't make any sense at all.)

The annoying thing about Agnes is that she has one great book and then immediately disappears.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Victor Tugelbend is essentially Ferris Bueller trying to take his whole life off instead of one school day.

I'm also not sure what you're not getting about Lilith's motivation, because like all motivations in fairy tales it's very simple: she was disowned by her parents and she thinks she deserves a happy ending.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Lilith wants power, plain and simple. Power over other people, magical power, power over her sister. Everything she does is about self-aggrandizement. But she doesn't fully realize why she's doing it, or the moral consequences; because of the way she gets power (through creating fairy tales), she's fooled herself into thinking she's doing good along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've listened to a handful of the old Discworld audiobooks and they were great but I've wanted to get the actual books for ages. So I decided to order them in bulk through the Emporium. I'm starting with the Death series and although I had to pay a bit extra in taxes (thanks Brexit) it was all worth it because the whole package was so delightful.