Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Got the missus hooked on Discworld started with a 8hr flight and now her family is loving them too. Theyve all started with Mort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

precision posted:

No matter what you think of Going Postal, it was still better than Back in Black. Casting an actor to play Terry was a bad idea, but it might have worked if they had picked someone who was any good at it. If you watch it, just fast-forward all those parts (which is unfortunately about 90% of the drat thing).

e: Also, since Terry was famously a huge TMBG fan, I was kinda hoping they would have done a song for it. Did Terry even like AC/DC?

I liked him better as Dennis Pennis and Thoros of Myr, but thought his Terry was okay.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quote-Unquote posted:

Thoros of Myr

Stone me! I didn't even recognize him.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Reading this thread, it seems like I made a bad move, because I love every book in the Guards series EXCEPT I got bored of Night Watch almost immediately and skipped it to get to Thud!, which I also loved. Now I'm seeing that a lot of people like Night Watch best of all.

Would it require spoilers to tell me why? I thought the villain was incredibly lame and uncompelling, and likewise the idea of Vimes In Time so we can have double the Sam and none of the characters that we've just spent all these books developing. I figured it wouldn't be very fun to see them bumbling around wondering where Vimes is in the present or piling into a time machine and following him to the past, which are the only ways I can imagine it going, beyond just dropping the modern watch for that one book. I'm definitely not interested if that's the case. Am I totally wrong and should go give it another chance

And while I'm revealing bad opinions about Terry Pratchett books: I really loved Equal Rites and I was sorta demotivated to find out the rest of the Witch books deviate from it w/r/t Granny's character. I'm having trouble getting into Wyrd Sisters because I just don't really... care about the other two witches, Nanny Ogg and the maiden one, who just sort of pad out the triad, and it doesn't seem nearly as snappy as the first one. Like it's taking too long for things to start happening. I'll give it a try some other time and I'm sure I'll feel it more.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

You have some really weird opinions, mainly about Nanny Ogg, who is quite frankly The Best.

Edit; Wyrd Sisters is very much a Shakespeare parody, so YMMV

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cobweb Heart posted:

Night Watch

Wyrd Sisters

Re: Night Watch:

You should probably read most of the books published before it, before you read it, particularly any that take place in and around Ankh-Morpork, but especially Small Gods and probably the Death series. If you've never watched Les Mis, remedy that immediately. Probably also a good idea to watch Terminator 1 & 2 and Back to the Future, but not essential. (Why wouldn't you want to, though? :v:)

Carcer is a violent sociopath who will kill you as soon as look at you. So is Vimes. The difference is that Vimes restrains himself through sheer force of will, his Inner Copper.

Vimes has always talked a good talk with his anti-tyranny mindset. Night Watch cuts off his support network and basically asks "Is Vimes a Bad Enough Dude to save his future?". How far can his twisty mind and dirty gutter fighting get him? His shoes are tied, the band has started, and now its time to see if he can dance.

Third, its a pretty good look at what a shitshow AM was before Vetinari.

Re: Witches

Wyrd Sisters starts a little slow and is probably my least favorite of them all. Try to power through it, because everything after that is 100% prime Granny. I totally recommend reading " The Sea and Little Fishes" when you get there, and also the Tiffany Aching books except Shepherds Crown.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
...I JUST got the Terminator bits. drat these books are layered.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I liked Night Watch a lot mainly because I like Vimes a lot. But I found the actual plot with the secret police and the revolution incredibly compelling - and in places the darkest I've seen Pratchett go.

I don't even think of the time travel (although I love some of the tension it creates re: Vimes's assumed identity) when I think of the book.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Cobweb Heart posted:

Would it require spoilers to tell me why? I thought the villain was incredibly lame and uncompelling, and likewise the idea of Vimes In Time so we can have double the Sam and none of the characters that we've just spent all these books developing. I figured it wouldn't be very fun to see them bumbling around wondering where Vimes is in the present or piling into a time machine and following him to the past, which are the only ways I can imagine it going, beyond just dropping the modern watch for that one book. I'm definitely not interested if that's the case. Am I totally wrong and should go give it another chance

Without getting into specific spoilers, because I do think it is one of the better Watch books:

1) While you don't get to see newer characters like Carrot or Angua etc, you do see things like young Nobby/ Colon, so it can be considered further development because you get to see how these characters have changed over the years.

2) It focuses entirely on Vimes in the past. At no point does it cut to scenes of modern day characters wondering where Vimes went. So yeah, it basically does drop the modern Watch for most of the book, but i still think it's worth reading because Vimes as a protagonist is constantly thinking about the modern Watch and how much things have changed.

In the Watch books, Ankh-Morpork is almost a character in it's own right. I would think of Night Watch as a book that fills out some backstory for AM in a pretty exciting way.

Then again i think it is pretty weird to like Equal Rites more than Wyrd Sisters. If you really hate it you could jump ahead to Witches Abroad, which moves a little quicker iirc.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Carcer is a violent sociopath who will kill you as soon as look at you. So is Vimes. The difference is that Vimes restrains himself through sheer force of will, his Inner Copper.

There is a point in the Fifth Elephant where VImes straight up murders a guy. He's also perfectly aware about the fact that he committed murder and the only reason he can live with himself is that he didn't make a snappy one liner.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Alhazred posted:

There is a point in the Fifth Elephant where VImes straight up murders a guy. He's also perfectly aware about the fact that he committed murder and the only reason he can live with himself is that he didn't make a snappy one liner.

To be fair, he followed the rules to the letter, if not the spirit, and Wolfgang was on a killing spree at the time and Vimes had no other way to stop him. Vimes did intend to kill Wolfgang, but if circumstances were different then Vimes would have found some other way.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I think what I took away from Night Watch is that it is more explicit than any other Watch book about just how much Vimes is a noir protagonist. He has, deep down in his heart, the makings of a monster. He's ridden and driven to drown in a bottle by the futility of trying not to be... but is hanging on my his fingernails to at least the semblance of a conscience. It's part of why the modern Vimes is such a hard-rear end about his Watch. He wants an Ankh-Morpork where a copper doesn't have to decide between their duty and their life every day.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

e:nm

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 14, 2017

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Help me out here- I'm having trouble spotting the Terminator bits in Night Watch! (Beyond a time-travel based plot...)

But yeah, Vimes is absolutely a noir character. It just sank in that there isn't actually a "mystery" in Night Watch at all, but the sheer force of Vimes' internal contradictions is enough to keep the story humming along nicely.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Help me out here- I'm having trouble spotting the Terminator bits in Night Watch! (Beyond a time-travel based plot...)

Just the time travel part, being found naked in the street, lightning, etc. I mean, you could argue the whole thing re Carcer trying to capture and corrupt young Vimes and Sam trying to stop him could be an allusion to Kyle Reese and the first terminator, but it's just a minor reference.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
All the big Terminator references were in Feet of Clay, this is just throwing in one or two extra.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

YggiDee posted:

All the big Terminator references were in Feet of Clay, this is just throwing in one or two extra.

But Feet of Clay is also RoboCop.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Cobweb Heart posted:

I thought the villain was incredibly lame and uncompelling
This is actually a thought that's been percolating in my brain for a while. Not Carcer specifically, but a lot of Pratchett villains, while entertaining, are quite flat, and frequently straight-up psychopaths or sociopaths with little no real explanation or motivation.

Take that one literary critic who read Small God's after the Internet pestered him to read some Discworld - one of the bits that most stuck out to me from the review was his criticism of Vorbis, "a man without a single redeeming feature or any back story to explain how he became so utterly inhuman".

My initial response was to go "but there are a ton of well rounded humanised characters in the series like Vimes and the Witches and Death and..." but then I realised something interesting: there are plenty of well-rounded heroes. Villains are harder to come by.

The explanation is probably that for Pratchett, "well-rounded villain with humanising qualities and an interesting backstory" is pretty much one of his definitions of "hero" anyway - heck, many of his most popular heroes start out by taking a typical fantasy villain (witch, guardsman, Machiavellian politician who outright believes he's a villain and so is everyone else, freaking Death) and going "what's their story?"

You could ultimately say that for Pratchett, being well-rounded is a virtue in itself, and the minute any of his villains pick it up they start turning into heroes (we see the full process of this with both Vetinari and Death). Possibly it comes from a liberal humanist point of view that doing evil itself is this mysterious thing that cannot be understood. I dunno. It's interesting to think about though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Most of Pratchett's heroes are defined by the fact that they aren't actually very nice people by nature, and are trying to be better people than they are.

So I guess it's logical that the defining characteristic of his villains is that they aren't trying at all to not be total shits.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Thud! had some good villains because they were religious true believers, not psychopaths.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Most of Pratchett's heroes are defined by the fact that they aren't actually very nice people by nature, and are trying to be better people than they are.

The only character that can be characterized as "a good guy" is Carrot. And, as the Fifth Elephant shows, even he can be scary.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Alhazred posted:

The only character that can be characterized as "a good guy" is Carrot. And, as the Fifth Elephant shows, even he can be scary.

Subsequently, he is also one of Pratchett worst characters.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I think you've all forgotten unquestionably good dog Gaspode the wonderdog.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I just finished Small Gods (again) and I think Vorbis may be one of the more nasty villains in Discworld, up there with Teatime for sure.

TerryCheesecake
Aug 2, 2003
-

Paul.Power posted:

Take that one literary critic who read Small God's after the Internet pestered him to read some Discworld - one of the bits that most stuck out to me from the review was his criticism of Vorbis, "a man without a single redeeming feature or any back story to explain how he became so utterly inhuman".

It's worth noting Jonathan Jones is an art critic and a massive, massive wanker.

For example:

No one should censor far right art which followed his previous column about Russian art should be censored
or This verbal poo poo fest about Obama smiling
or This psueds masterpiece about David Hockney redesigning The Sun's logo

The man is a total rocket..

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Flipswitch posted:

I just finished Small Gods (again) and I think Vorbis may be one of the more nasty villains in Discworld, up there with Teatime for sure.

That honestly really fits with what we've been discussing, because the worst thing about Vorbis is the way he enjoys making other people do things they think are wrong.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

TerryCheesecake posted:

It's worth noting Jonathan Jones is an art critic and a massive, massive wanker.

For example:

No one should censor far right art which followed his previous column about Russian art should be censored
or This verbal poo poo fest about Obama smiling
or This psueds masterpiece about David Hockney redesigning The Sun's logo

The man is a total rocket..

I'm glad someone agrees with me. While his review made a few good points, it reeks of "heh, fantasy? You should try reading real books, plebian" :smug: and even if I wasn't a Pratchett fan I would have thought him a pretentious dick.

Not every single character of every single book needs to be rich with nuance and backstory and sympathetic qualities. Vorbis, in this instance, is as much an idea as he is a character -- he is repression and cruelty and broken faith personified, everything that is wrong with the Omnian faith in one man. He isn't a "psycho" as Jones put it; he is incredibly, disquietingly sane. His pleasure at making others commit atrocities isn't just sadism, it's the pleasure at knowing what he is doing is right, that he is honoring his god and honoring his faith and Doing What Must Be Done -- something that has been done since the concept of religion came about and is done to this day. Vorbis is evil, but he isn't the cackling madman Jones claims, but instead a living example of how a man can become everything that goes against what it means to be faithful. If Vorbis is two-dimensional, it's because he scourged away any further dimensions for being unnecessary and sinful.

And he neglects to add that Vorbis isn't utterly without sympathetic points; he languishes in the desert for -- to him -- an eternity as he finally understood his sins. Vorbis is as much a victim of his church's faith as any of his own victims; he was raised not to question, to seek out dissent and stamp it out before it grows, to show his love for his fellow man with heated knives.

Teatime, however, is just a loony and that's fine, because really, who makes plans to kill the Hogfather.

GodFish posted:

I think you've all forgotten unquestionably good dog Gaspode the wonderdog.

"Story of my life."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Teatime is easily my favorite Pratchett villain, and brings up something I love about his books; the tendency to give characters completely nonsensical-by-way-of-mundane names (Reg Shoe, Moist, etc)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

That honestly really fits with what we've been discussing, because the worst thing about Vorbis is the way he enjoys making other people do things they think are wrong.

Yeah I had a quick scroll up and was quite pleased(?) how that lined up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

precision posted:

Teatime is easily my favorite Pratchett villain, and brings up something I love about his books; the tendency to give characters completely nonsensical-by-way-of-mundane names (Reg Shoe, Moist, etc)
Incidentally, this is something that completely and utterly fails to work in translations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

My Lovely Horse posted:

Incidentally, this is something that completely and utterly fails to work in translations.

I'm told Portuguese translations are Pretty Good but since I don't actually speak/read Portuguese there's a splash of telephone game going on here.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Paul.Power posted:

This is actually a thought that's been percolating in my brain for a while. Not Carcer specifically, but a lot of Pratchett villains, while entertaining, are quite flat, and frequently straight-up psychopaths or sociopaths with little no real explanation or motivation.

My initial response was to go "but there are a ton of well rounded humanised characters in the series like Vimes and the Witches and Death and..." but then I realised something interesting: there are plenty of well-rounded heroes. Villains are harder to come by.

The explanation is probably that for Pratchett, "well-rounded villain with humanising qualities and an interesting backstory" is pretty much one of his definitions of "hero" anyway - heck, many of his most popular heroes start out by taking a typical fantasy villain (witch, guardsman, Machiavellian politician who outright believes he's a villain and so is everyone else, freaking Death) and going "what's their story?"

You could ultimately say that for Pratchett, being well-rounded is a virtue in itself, and the minute any of his villains pick it up they start turning into heroes (we see the full process of this with both Vetinari and Death). Possibly it comes from a liberal humanist point of view that doing evil itself is this mysterious thing that cannot be understood. I dunno. It's interesting to think about though.

I think that's the defining characteristic of Pratchett's true villains. They are psychopaths or sociopaths. Look at Reacher Gilt, for example. He puts on all the airs of being a silent-film Evil Rail Baron/Pirate, but those are all a cover over a character who down at the base is an amoral corporate raider with zero concern for the lives of others except as they benefit him personally.

I mean, you have to remember the setting. The Discworld is not a nice place. Ankh-Morpork is probably the most progressive place on on the Disc, and it still keeps the Assassins around and has wretched poverty and street crime on the level of Victorian London at best. Even the Unseen University was still doing Dead Man's Shoes promotion within a decade or two. Hell, it's only since Vetinari and Ridicully took over their respective posts that the semblance of civilization has really been hammered into the city at all.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 29, 2017

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I think it's also worth remembering, too, that, you know, sometimes people are just amoral, self-absorbed, monsters. I mean, history in general and modern American politics in particular will provide you no dearth of characters who would probably get that sort of criticism levied against them were they characters in fiction.
Some people are just monstrous. It's kind of why I always felt when similar critique was put forth against Iain M. Banks' stuff that it didn't hold. When I was a young child, I often thought the villains on Captain Planet were hamfisted and one-dimensional. As an adult, now, and having seen American politics over the last decade or two, I can honestly say they were nuanced in comparison in many ways. Some people are just self-absorbed monsters, and I don't think its a coincidence that both in life and in the works of Banks and Pratchett we see these people going into careers that are well suited to such monstrous outlooks; theocrats, dictators, businessmen, etc.

I will say, though, I felt Carcer was pretty weak, all things considered. Although I actually think Nightwatch, while fantastic, is somewhat overrated. Fifth Elephant or Thud! are probably my favorite of the Watch series.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm glad someone agrees with me. While his review made a few good points, it reeks of "heh, fantasy? You should try reading real books, plebian" :smug: and even if I wasn't a Pratchett fan I would have thought him a pretentious dick.

I like this post. Thank you.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Canuckistan posted:

I like this post. Thank you.

I like your posts too!

Another thing I forgot to mention was that Brutha and Vorbis are in a way mirror images of one another -- had Brutha never made contact with Om, Brutha could eventually have become like Vorbis. It's easy to imagine a young Vorbis as malleable and amenable to Omnian indoctrination as Brutha, whose intelligence and stubborn and powers of unthinking doublethink would work to elevate him, especially since the Quisition values those who reserve their questions only for their prisoners.

There but for the grace of Om and all that.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
That critic also put me off, especially this bit:

quote:

Pratchett’s deflationary jokes, like his Plato parody, are often funny in isolation, but taken together, they result in a determinedly unambitious, unexciting style. He seems to love handling clichés as if they were shiny pebbles:

“The sky was blue.”

“It was a million-to-one chance, with any luck.”

“Simony laughed bitterly.”

There’s nothing wrong with these sentences from Small Gods –the book is full of such expressions – but there is nothing special about them either.

Am I misreading this, or is he seriously complaining that Pratchett uses common expressions or clichés? Is "The sky was blue." a cliché now? am I going insane??

This seems like complaining that he uses the word 'said' too much. Some expressions are common because they're useful and get the point across, you don't need to reinvent the wheel on every sentence. The guy concludes his article saying "I prefer writing that rubs up against the real world", yet he's put off by pterry using writing that is "warm and friendly, like a normal chat with a normal bloke". I don't know, he seems to be framing the whole article as "well he's fine but he's not like REAL art, is he?" which seems like a pointless distinction to me. Maybe if the book covers had more urns, and women in the nude...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Wasn't he one of those pretentious wankers in that brief painfully cutting TV review clip in the recent Back In Black Biodocu?

What a bunch of cruel tossers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cicadalek posted:

That critic also put me off, especially this bit:

That guy's favorite modern writer is Michel Houellebecq (he says that's "the only" writer he bothers rushing out to buy new books by, which is just, haha dude there are a lot of good writers out there these days).

So you can safely ignore every opinion he has.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I will say, though, I felt Carcer was pretty weak, all things considered. Although I actually think Nightwatch, while fantastic, is somewhat overrated. Fifth Elephant or Thud! are probably my favorite of the Watch series.

Night Watch was absolutely the best Watch book and your failure to understand that has turned me to robot satan.

That being said, Carcer was easily the worst part of the book. Fortunately it had Findthee Swing to provide an example of a much better villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'm amazed at how wrong a person can be about Small Gods. It was the first Discworld book I ever read and is still my favorite. The ending still makes me tear up every time I go back for a re-read. The apparent inability to understand what the book was about on a basic level and how beautifully Pratchett put the story together right up to the last paragraph just kills me.