Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Jeedan posted:

Thats the thing thats always struck me about the discworld books, they're believable but in a twisted way. I think Pratchetts even said something to this end himself. Unlike other fantasy novels they dont start from a normal place and then pile on weirdness, they start from a weird place and work backwords towards normality. You get Discworld by taking a premise like middle earth and asking all the obvious questions like "So why do Trolls turn to stone in sunlight?" and "Why are vampires always so thick?". Everything on the Discworld has to make sense in some internal way, he even came up with a reason for why you can have timezones on a flat planet.

That's one of the things I've always enjoyed about the series. It's been said before in the comment about "Some jerk with a heart of gold who invents a modern [something or rather]" but, I enjoyed seeing how the Discworld evolves and adapts to relatively new things like like c-mail and increased travel to places like the Counterweight Continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU