Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
"Potatoes?"

That line was brilliant.

I want to see more of the outlying areas, following 71-Hour Ahmed around the deserts of Klatch, some more of the places in Colour of Magic etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Noreaus posted:

I would tend to agree that his latest books have been of an increasing quality - But then there is Making Money. Moist's character was bland and nothing like he was in Going Postal - He seemed to have all the charisma of a bumbling office worker with the charm of a gnat. It seemed an incredibly half-baked idea. As far as I could tell, it was Pratchett who was "Making Money".

What about his characterisation did you think was bad? I tend to like Moist, and he's going to make a good replacement for Vetinari if it ever happens. And these are city books that dont dwell on the Watch for too long, because there are books totally given over to that now.

Wish he'd go off and do one big book about Ephebe, or XXXX (without Rincewind) or on Twoflower.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Vetinari does seem to be grooming him as a potential replacement, in my estimation.

The thing is, and I know this is quite morbid, that story arc seems to need at least three or more books to fully complete. It'd be really horrible if Terry couldn't write any more and the stories went unwritten, unless Terry himself groomed a successor to write the stories he wanted too.

As below, so above kinda thing.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

King who?

The 7 foot guy with the strawberry birthmark, a sword that can cut through anything, and is universally loved by all in Ankh-Morpork, who then chooses to be a copper because he wants everyone to follow the law 'because it's the law' rather than 'because they like him' is a piss take of every 'much loved' king in a fantasy story.

Also, when Vimes is made a Duke Carrot is there, and everyone knows, but says nothing as not to upset the status quo

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

So far I think the list is;

Veternari
Angua
Vimes
Sybil ('Cos she knows everything Vimes does, even if he doesn't tell her)
Fred Colon (In Men at Arms he pontificates about who would want a really sharp sword)
Carrot
Carrots Dad (Sending him off to find his fortune)
Drumknott

and probably a few more. Edward D'Eath knew, but he's dead now. Lord Downey maybe?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Nilbop posted:

, assuming we can discount the noble contention from families like the Selachiis or Venturis.

This also being one of the greatest throwaway puns in existince, as it's never really referenced again, but utterly brilliant.

Selachii posted:

(vertebrate zoology) An order of elasmobranchs including all fossil sharks, except Cladoselachii and Pleuracanthodii.

Venturi posted:

An aspirator, also called an eductor-jet pump or filter pump, is a device that produces vacuum by means of the Venturi effect.

So Sharks and Jets. Who happen to be in a wonderful show called West Side Story, a modern re-telling of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. In one line he references Shakespeare without you even noticing, and he never explains it, or footnotes it. Just for fun.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

:monocle: Jesus Christ! Did you go over the series with a fine tooth comb!?

Someone pointed it out to me, god knows where they found it out. But yes, :monocle:.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

If you're doing a Watch series then;

Sam Vimes =

Sgt. Colon =

and a relative unknown for Nobbs and Carrot. Angua will invariably be some Hollyoaks actress trying to make her way into Hollywood. :(.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

I thought the guy they had in Hogfather was perfect for Nobby.

Looking it up, he does look good. Him as well. Now we just need someone who can photoshop them into armour.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

Cohen The Barbarian & Crew (dead?)
72-Hour Ahmed

71 Hour Ahmed. :eng101: And I refuse to believe that Cohen died. He's far too leathery.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

I can remember spending my last £10 to buy the second Tiffany Aching book, having run from work and queuing to get it signed by Pterry. Which was ages ago. Jesus.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

I finished Making Money last night. :(

Come on...did you not :unsmith: at ..."that can either mean gold, or thousand...."?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Got Nation for Christmas, and it was amazing. Mau as a character reminded me a lot of Vimes, with the Grandfathers being the Night Watchman from Thud! I loved how the ending flipped the entire story, and I'm going to have to read it again before his next book comes out.

And good on Terry for being knighted. The fact that he had managed for about a decade to stay Britains top selling author (before Rowling), had nothing to do with it, and his Alzheimers did, but recognition is recognition.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Mystic_Squid posted:

After putting it off for a while, I finally started reading the Discworld series with the very first one, The Color of Magic. I am loving it. And I'm excited that I have a whole series before me to read through.

Don't avoid the YA stuff for fear of it being too childish...the only difference is footnotes explaining what a pantry is, and a younger protagonist.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Jekub posted:

Dates for your diary's, 'Terry Pratchett : Living With Alzheimer's' :

BBC2 - Part 1 : Wednesday 4th February @ 21:00 GMT
BBC2 - Part 2 : Wednesday 11th February @ 21:00 GMT

I'm really looking forward to this, and pretty much dreading it as well. I've been reading Pratchett since my Dad first lent me Colour of Magic about 22 years ago. The thought that at some point there won't be any more books never really crossed my mind. I think I'm going to be very depressed.

It's not that he's going to die, I think everyone accepts that's a part of life, and Pterry is going to be having a conversation with someone WHO TALKS LIKE THIS. It's the idea that a man with such a brilliantly comic mind, who can also deal with such complicated issues (Quantam theory etc.) is going to slip away from him and he'll know. :smith:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

euromyne posted:

edit: What Discworld book would you recommend to start with? My mom has expressed an interest (and I think she'd really like them), but I want one that will really engage her, and I'm not sure if I should go with the obvious choice of The Colour of Magic.

Pyramids. It's a standalone so it doesn't gently caress with the chronology of any really important arcs (Rincewind, DEATH, The Watch, Witches) but it eases you into Discworld and the silliness that lives there.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Entropic posted:

Where did Rincewind end up at the end of The Last Hero? I forget.

On a spaceship with Carrot looking down at the Disc

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

I write this as someone who has, regrettably, become famous for having Alzheimer's. Although being famous is all the rage these days, it's fame I could do without.

:smith:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The Nac Mac Feegle are brilliant.

It's the only Pratchett book I managed to get signed as well. :)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Football has come to the ancient city of Ankh-Morpork - not the old-fashioned grubby pushing and shoving, but the new fast football with pointy hats for goalposts and balls that go gloing when you drop them. And now the wizards of Unseen University must win a football match without using magic, so they're in the mood for trying everything else.

The prospect of the Big Match draws in a likely lad with a wonderful talent for kicking a tin can, a maker of jolly good pies, a dim but beautiful young woman, who might just turn out to be the greatest fashion model there has even been, and the mysterious Mr Nutt. (No one knows anything much about Mr Nutt, not even Mr Nutt, which worries him, too.)

As the match approaches, four lives are entangled and changed for ever. because the thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.

Here we go! Here we go! Here we go!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Ouch. :( The collectors cards are nice :)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Ika posted:

Also references the color of magic movie: dead men's pointy shoes. At least I dont remember that being mentioned by that name in any of the books, but I havn't read the older ones in a while.

It's definitely mentioned in The Light Fantastic.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Or, seeing as you've Read about him,

a Read Herring

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Alvie posted:

Some number of pages back somebody complained about Pratchett reusing a lot of stuff from some of the books. For the most part, this doesn't really bother me. However, has anybody else noticed that some variation of "There was a small candle which didn't so much light up the darkness as outline the shadows" is in just about every discworld book? I'm loving every new book I read, but every time some place is so dark that the torches only serve to highlight the darkness, it tears me right out of the book.

Maybe it's just me, but I've only read about a third of the books so far and I'm getting sick of that line. It's like Death's obligatory cameo only I don't look forward to each one. To be fair, Discworld is fantastic and that's about the only complaint I would think about having with the books.

I don't think it's as prevalant as you think, and even then, it's probably only because he made dark an object like light, so not to talk about it would be weird.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

They had the Glorious Revolution, so maybe Pterry wants a blood(ier) one in the future. Lord Rust is still there, democracy springs up in Small Gods and Pyramids (Doesn't Djelybebi end up as one).

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

It's the 'Industrial Revolution' arc, watching Ankh Morpork as a character grow up.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

MikeJF posted:

But yeah, there's a fair chance I'm thinking this through more than Pratchett has.

You haven't, the City is slowly becoming a homage to the current Constitutional Democracy practised in the UK, where the Queen has quite a lot of power but doesn't use it.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The part of that scene where Vimes has an argument with himself is pretty amazing.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Because people complain. Borogrovia is at it's heart an AMless story, as are the Tiffany Aching books, but if you say Discworld, people think of Sam Vimes.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

30th of January some Art Centre's around the country are screening a live link to the Theatrical version of Nation. :)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

John Dough posted:

Also Vimes works reasonably well when I imagine him as Bruce Willis, in one of his “disillusioned cop“ roles. I“ve only just started Men at Arms, though.

Vimes will always be Philip Glenister to me.

Which is strange, because I think his brother would be a brilliant Fred Colon as well.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Aussie Crawl posted:

Basically i just really want to see death say "I HAVE BROUGHT YOU A BOTTLE OF WINE BRIEF MORTALS"

The quote from Small Gods about turning water into wine is amazing.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

For any UK Pratchett fans;

SirPterry is taking the 34th Richard Dimbleby Lecture, on tonight at 10:35.

Radio Times posted:

Anyone who saw novelist Terry Pratchett's excellent programmes on Alzheimer's last year will need no encouragement to watch this. They were wonderful and you didn't have to be a Discworld fan to appreciate the mischievous wit Pratchett brought to bear on the subject. ("Alzheimer's is like having a moron living in your head, running around switching the lights off and stealing the words from the tip of your tongue," was one typically sharp line from the series.) Here, Sir Terry has been given free rein to speak his mind in the 34th annual Richard Dimbleby Lecture - he's the first novelist to have the honour. Details are sketchy, but we're told he will explore how the fact of an ageing population means we need to redefine how we as a society deal with terminal illness and death. It should be fascinating and, knowing Pratchett, funny too.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Vetinari posted:

More people need to see this...a DnD or GBS thread should be made on the right to die with dignity.

Done. It's in GBS with the lecture title

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

ibroxmassive posted:

Vimes will always be Philip Glenister to me.

Which is strange, because I think his brother would be a brilliant Fred Colon as well.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

John Dough posted:

One-eightst? I still don't get it :ohdear:

1/8th

or a piece of 8

SKwaaaaaaaaaaaak Pieces of Eight

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

SaintFu posted:

The library where I work sometimes gets of ARCs from our distributors. Since the library doesn't actually actually do anything with them, they go onto a cart for staff and volunteers to take if they want. Being the guy who opens the boxes when UPS drops them off, I get first crack at them.

At this point in time I'm seething with jealousy, you lucky lucky bastard

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Nilbop posted:

He'd have to turn it into a loving horror book to find something that can kill Sam Vimes.

Something from the Dungeon Dimensions terrorising Ankh Morpork, and Vimes strides valiantly into the breach, 'Right sonny, you're nicked' echoing back into reality.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

It needs the Glenister brothers as Vimes and Colon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Afterdark posted:

^
oh hell yes, but would Glenister 'hunt' persona fit Vimes? Hunt is more smash in doors, kick a few heads about until poo poo happens and I see Vimes as a bit hardass but a lot more subdued and is a lot better at not going 'spare' as he said himself in his last book.

Imagine Hunt really trying to play nice but you know that he wants, more than anything, to smash someone's head into a wall because gently caress it it'd be easier and he'd get home quicker. That's Vimes from Guards Guards, it's almost Vimes from Night Watch with Carcer.