Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Flatscan posted:

He's always a leaner Gene Hunt whenever I read him now.

With his brother playing Sgt Colon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The end of Nation is pretty powerful too

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Quizitastrix posted:

I want to hope nothing bad happens to Lady Ramkin but at the same time I don't remember her from any later novels and Pratchett isn't the sort of guy to waste a character like her...

She features in all of the novels and in Night Watch is Vimes sole concern. I mean he buys Lawn an entire hospital just to make sure she's safe

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

He's sailing down the Styx to rescue Death, who in exchange will make Sam the God of Coppers and therefore immortal.

And it will be awesome.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Come here Paul Kidby, come here so I can give you a big cuddly hug.

Like he'd accept another loving promotion.

I like this, but I meant young Sam. It'd be the Vimesy thing to do, make him a copper who can curse the bastards in Cori Celesti in a lightning conductive breastplate.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Iacen posted:

That track is one of my personal favorites. It's just perfect. Hell, the entire soundtrack was great. If there are two things I will always remember from that game (besides "Hwhat do you know about a dwarf named Al-Khali?") it's the little jingle that played when you got a clue.

What I wouldn't give for a new Discworld game. I wonder if you could get Telltale to make it?

Imagine playing an Oblivion sized game where you can start as a thief, a wizard, an assassin etc.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Hungry Bit posted:

When people mention Pratchett and his love for computers and video games they usually refer to that one article on the internet where he mentions Half-Life and Doom and stuff like that. I've never seen that PC gamer article interview before, it's pretty nifty.

I remember his 6 screen set up that he used to play Oblivion on.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

or even without the soccer plot and just been a look at life of the lower classes in Ankh-Morpork.

Did I get confused as to the message of the book or are you saying that you'd remove the central theme of the novel?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Anyone else find it oddly comforting the L-Space website has looked the same for over a decade now?

need to update the annotated discworld though :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Penguingo posted:

420 look at cartography every day

Are Ephebe and Tsort on that map? I can't find them, or Djelibebi. I can see the Tsort River just south of the Circle Sea, but not the actual countries.

Also it's pretty cool that a map published in 1995 includes the paddleboats from Snuff. I thought they'd been introduced for that book, but they were obviously mentioned in a previous one.

Yes they're all on there, Terry talks about how in the original drafts things like weather wouldn't have worked properly so it has 'some' proper cartography as well.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

Do you have a place to stay? wanna share a room? :D

https://www.nitenite.com is brilliant and cheap stay there..like £38 a room and boutique.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Or the fact that he supported Moist in either going Postal or Making Money (Can't remember which one.)

He supports Adora Belle and William de Worde in The Truth when he 'accidentally' leaves a bundle of fresh paper that was heading to the Inquirer(?) unlocked in his yard.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The Long Mars is up for preorder on Kindle for £6.99 atm

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Read them in publication order or you'll lose the effect of seeing Ankh Morpork grow up

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Furthering the live action talk, I finally managed to watch the first part of Sky's Going Postal TV adaptation.

Aaaand I hate it. It rushes through good parts (the prison and hanging was SUCH a great intro in the book and they kind of bungled every part of it), while spending far too much time on lengthy dream sequences. For the most part, Moist comes off less as an affable, ambitious conman and more as a bumbling everyman. Had I not read the book, it would have been massively inaccessible - would I have known who Charles Dance even was?

Then there's the way it exemplifies everything wrong with British TV. Almost everything looks and feels fifteen or twenty years old, and it's not just due to budgetary constraints. From the cinematography, the lighting, even the sound mixing. There's lots of strange moments that seem dubbed, or parts where someone should be shouting but is talking at a normal volume. It's ridiculous that our programming can't even match up to the quality of amateur filmmakers on YouTube.

Part of it looking so behind-the-times is that it comes off like a kids show. You've got the overbearing score, the exaggerated wackiness and why has Reacher Gilt gone from a honey-voiced Moist-a-like to a Saturday morning cartoon villain replete with maniacally evil laughter and a cane?

I mean, this is a story that began with a man falling to his death and followed it up with a man seriously facing his own execution. There might be light silly jokes about pins and absurd fantasy turtle worlds - but otherwise, particularly in the middle-recent books, this is not Doctor loving Who. In the books, the reason a man in a berserker rage swinging an axe at people while yelling "WHERE IS MY COW?! IS THIS MY COW?!" is hilarious, is because the rest of that story is grounded in some semblance of reality. It wouldn't be funny if everything else was so extreme and dumb.

Other comments:
  • The clacks towers look good - I've always had trouble picturing them - and so did some of the CG city vistas.
  • The Watch uniforms look right. I suppose their ridged helmets are the one constant in all their drawn depictions too.
  • Angua's brief appearance was silly and breaks her character, but the casting seemed right somehow. She had that mildly annoyed manner down.
  • Charles Dance is great casting and has the perfect voice for Vetinari, but in his brief appearance he seemed more angry/concerned and less sure of himself than I would've liked.
  • Adora Belle smiles a lot more than I expected, but otherwise she seems a reasonable portrayal. (Except that she always has a lit cigarette and never ever smokes one. Really adds to the "kids show" feel.)
  • Not sure what to make of the depiction of Ankh Morpork as a city and it's populace. The budget shows and that can't be helped. What did you guys think? Is that how you pictured it?
  • Groat seems perfect. Stanley is a little different than I pictured but was ultimately charming.
  • The silly Golems actually have a real nice texture to their costumes where it does usually look like rock/clay and not rubber, but they still look like they stepped out of a '90s Power Rangers episode.
  • I liked that Otto the photographer was just there in the background without being commented on. :unsmith:

Gosh, for someone who has only read about a quarter of the Discworld books, I sure sound like a picky little bitch.

Don't worry, everyone liked the idea but nobody liked the execution of those or hogfather (which did a little better)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I loved Hogfather, but that may be due to the fact that I haven't read the book.

The TV show was a quite light alternative christmas story type thing, the book's a lot darker and the bits about belief, especially those playing on Small Gods, are some of his best I think.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Rihanna posted on Twitter that she was starting production on something that would make a lot of people very happy and the BBC just posted a picture of Benedict Cumberbatch who is also involved in a 'mystery production' for them as well.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

mirthdefect posted:

Oh. I just realised you didn't mean the musician. This suddenly makes so much more sense.

She'd make an excellent Tawneee

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Pidmon posted:

Is Koom Valley (the location, not the warfare) in Thud! based on any particular real-world area? I really liked the description of its unstable, chaotic and purely dangerous nature.

I think it's a play on Coombe/Combe/Cwm meaning Valley, with the K from Kashmir. It's one of those tautological things like the River Avon or Mississippi, and the geography fits the region, the fighting, the floods and the elements causing more danger than the enemy.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

They'd discussed it and I think the consensus was that they would collaborate on things like 'The Watch' TV series but she wouldn't want to write Discworld solo

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

'When he announced the inaugural Terry Pratchett research fellowship in 2010, he insisted on a single word to be engraved on the trophy: 'strive'.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

supermikhail posted:

No, the quote has to be from a Discworld book. In fact, I seem to vaguely remember something like that, probably in a footnote. Anyway, in Spanish it goes "La banca es un juego muy viejo que se llama 'A ver hasta dónde cuela'". Oh, it's actually "...a game that's called...". :confused: And I don't know what "colar" is supposed to do.

It's the oldest game, called 'what can I get away with?'

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

hanales posted:

Kramering in to say “I don’t like thing” and criticism aren’t the same thing despite what the SA forums might have taught you.

What’s even more embarrassing is that Jonathan Jones has already done this shtick, and did it better/worse.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

That 12.5% parrot joke still makes me groan to this day

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

feetnotes posted:

https://narrativia.com/maurice.html has some previews for the designs that will be used in the Sky version of the Amazing Maurice.

Giving the characters what I think of as the generic Dreamworks look is… probably for the best, all things considered, but feels really wrong somehow. It feels fundamentally un-Pratchett to me to present the story as cute and cuddly and marketable as possible. But marketable means sustained popularity, and the alternative is for Discworld to slowly wither away from memory, which I wouldn’t want either.

Guess it’s best to just accept some drift from the source material is inevitable, hope it turns out better than the Watch did, and celebrate however many kids end up finding the books through it.

I wouldn't call it generic Dreamworks, the artwork and the studios involved all scream 'This film received funding from the European Union Creative Media fund'.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

what, it's not dreamworks?

it looks exactly like dreamworks

It looks a lot like a mix between the Moving Light stuff done for all of the Donaldson books (Gruffalo, Snail and the Whale, Zog etc.) mixed with some of the German, French and Spanish animation you'll find on Netflix now - Astro Boy, Klaus etc.

I'd say it's distinct enough not to be full Dreamworks, and there's definitely a thread of animation studios that share an aesthetic - the Donaldson stuff is all very Scheffler based on his illustrations, they were done by a German studio etc.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The most explicit reference in Discworld still being that the Guild of Seamstresses is headed by Rosemary Palm

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Which is spelled out by the nickname Dog-botherer in Night Watch

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

That’s a relationship dynamic and a half

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Sneak peek at Snow Baby

https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/1468183576156028935?s=20

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Am I the only one who thinks tweeting as a dead person with a checkmark is sick and wrong? Is this the world now?

I think in this case where it's clearly Terry & Rob, and is the voice of his estate, it's different.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Pyramids talks a lot about the institutionalisation of horror and Carrot is amazing

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Strange Cares posted:

Sorry to be a dunce, but what does this mean?

I had the wrong book, but this quote is the heart of it;

Small Gods posted:

There were no jolly little signs saying: You Don’t Have To Be Pitilessly Sadistic To Work Here But It Helps!!
But there were things to suggest to a thinking man that the Creator of mankind had a very oblique sense of fun indeed, and to breed in his heart a rage to storm the gates of heaven.
The mugs, for example. The inquisitors stopped work twice a day for coffee. Their mugs, which each man had brought from home, were grouped around the kettle on the hearth of the central furnace which incidentally heated the irons and knives.
They had legends on them like A Present From the Holy Grotto of Ossory, or To The World’s Greatest Daddy. Most of them were chipped, and no two of them were the same.
And there were the postcards on the wall. It was traditional that, when an inquisitor went on holiday, he’d send back a crudely colored woodcut of the local view with some suitably jolly and risqué message on the back. And there was the pinned-up tearful letter from Inquisitor First Class Ishmale “Pop” Quoom, thanking all the lads for collecting no fewer than seventy-eight obols for his retirement pension and the lovely bunch of flowers for Mrs. Quoom, indicating that he’d always remember his days in No. 3 pit, and was looking forward to coming in and helping out any time they were short-handed.
And it all meant this: that there are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal, kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
Vorbis loved knowing that. A man who knew that, knew everything he needed to know about people

Vorbis is described as a zealot wedded to the machinery of the state, quisitioning anyone for Om. The vindictivness of the torture is abstracted and mechanised by the end of the book.

Granny Weatherwax’ ‘people as things’ speech comes about as a discussion on Omniasm generally, and then into Night Watch and the Specials offices during the raid.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Jedit posted:

There's going to be an announcement of some kind of Wednesday. I'll keep you posted.

Deathless Mort is finally getting the go ahead?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

quote:

“He’s been murdered. Where were you when he was killed?”
IN THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE.
“How do you know?”
Dorfl hesitated a moment. Then the next words were written very slowly, as if they had come from a long way away after a great deal of thought.
BECAUSE IT IS SOMETHING THAT MUST HAVE HAPPENED NOT LONG AGO, BECAUSE YOU ARE EXCITED. FOR THE LAST THREE DAYS I HAVE BEEN WORKING HERE.
“All the time?”
YES.
“Twenty-four hours a day?”
YES. MEN AND TROLLS HERE ON EVERY SHIFT, THEY WILL TELL YOU. DURING THE DAY I MUST SLAUGHTER, DRESS, QUARTER, JOINT AND BONE, AND AT NIGHT WITHOUT REST I MUST MAKE SAUSAGES AND BOIL UP THE LIVERS, HEARTS, TRIPES, KIDNEYS AND CHITTERLING.
“That’s awful,” said Cheery.
The pencil blurred briefly.
CLOSE.”

Ffs

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

In other somewhat related news:

https://twitter.com/bootstrapcook/status/1484605738781655040?s=21

Jack Monroe rose to prominence as a campaigner and blogger on food poverty, and in a shocking indictment of how hosed things are, they’re still campaigning on it.

The VBPI has the endorsement of Rhianna, and is going to work to try and more accurately model inflation and price elasticity in essential foodstuffs, as inflation drives basics prices through the roof.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Xander77 posted:

^ One of the thing you can learn from the annotated Pratchett file. Which is why I'm still bitter it was abandoned, even decades later.

GNUoon Project

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

It reads a little like the death of Cruces in Men at Arms, but not exactly on the nose.

Does Teatime do something in Hogfather?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

The bit in (i think?) The Fifth Elephant where both Sam and Sybil both have a tacit agreement not to bring up how much the other snores hits me different now that I'm married.

That and her trying her best to make him socks and him wearing them because she made them. Terry can't do meet/cute but he can do romance like that.

He’d be shite at Valentine’s Day cards but great at wedding speeches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

If you want a twofer on ‘oh gods’, and one I got today from Disc Coverers;

“Feet of Clay” posted:

“Fred Colon had reached the convivial-drunk stage. He turned to the man beside him. “’S good here, isn’t it,” he managed.

“What’m I gonna tell me wife, that’s what I want to know…” moaned the man.

“Dunno. Say you’ve bin bin bin working late,” said Colon. “An’ suck a peppermint before you goes home, that usually works—”

“Working late? Hah! I’ve bin given the sack! Me! A craftsman! Fifteen years at Spadger and Williams, right, and then they go bust ’cos of Carry undercutting ’em and I get a job at Carry’s and, bang, I’m out of a job there, too! ‘Surplus to requirements!’ Bloody golems! Forcing real people out of a job! What they wanna work for? They got no mouth to feed, hah. But the drat’ thing goes at it so fast you can’t see its bloody arms movin’!”

“Shame.”

“Smash ’em up, that’s what I say. I mean, we had a golem at S an’ W’s but ole Zhlob just used to plod along, y’know, not buzz away like a blue-arsed fly. You wanna watch it, mate, they’ll have your job next.”

“Stoneface wouldn’t stand f’r it,” said Colon, undulating gently.

“Any chance of a job with you lot, then?”

“Dunno,” said Colon. The man seemed to have become two men. “What’s it you do?”

“I’m a Wick-Dipper and End-Teaser, mate,” they said.

“I can see that’s a useful trade.”

Page 192 on my digital copy, but early enough into the book that ‘become two men’ and ‘end-teaser in a candle factory’ are phenomenally groan inducing foreshadowing.