Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Blimey, missed this thread. No-one talking about the COM adaptation?

The use of 'Pterry' makes me suspect the presence of AFP-ers.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 3, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Mort is usually the best 'start' novel. It's a good introduction to Discworld concepts without being just fantasy parody like the first couple of books.

Also, Wyrd Sisters, or Guards! Guards!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Keshik posted:

Five seconds after it started, I wanted to know why the gently caress he was slurring with a lisp so bad that I couldn't understand a single word he said.

Because that's how Terry talks. He was doing an impression. It doesn't make it any less stupid, I agree.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

Bill Pullman as Vimes all around.

What crack are you smoking?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ibroxmassive posted:

What about his characterisation did you think was bad? I tend to like Moist, and he's going to make a good replacement for Vetinari if it ever happens.

Vetinari does seem to be grooming him as a potential replacement, in my estimation.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ibroxmassive posted:

unless Terry himself groomed a successor to write the stories he wanted too.

I asked him this once (we're cousins). He said Discworld dies with him, as it were.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MultiJoe posted:

You have another cousin at Nintendo, perchance?

Not that I know of, not in our immediate family, anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Vimes would resign in disgust to track down who actually shot Archduke Franz Ferdinand, arrest the culprit, and browbeat each country's government into a peace treaty before he'd let any of the action get rolling.

Like... Jingo?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

How long ago did Making Money come out? I don't really plan on buying the hardcover, but I'm up to Night Watch and I'm nearly caught up on discworld.

September/October last year. The paperback just came out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ibroxmassive posted:

Someone pointed it out to me, god knows where they found it out. But yes, :monocle:.

Probably the L-Space Annotations File: http://www.lspace.org/books/apf/index.html

It's getting woefully out of date.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Emerson Cod posted:

Any news on production from Going Postal? I know it's not going to air until 2009, but I haven't seen anything about filming. Usually that sort of news is reported on, right?

Nothing yet, but I'm really hoping David Jason isn't Moist.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Any good? It's from the Lspace wiki, but isn't the official Briggs designed one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I really did hate Granny in Carpe Jugulum.. she's being angsty in a way that doesn't seem to suit her character at all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Entropic posted:

For some reason I've never been able to find the illustrated version of Faust Eric at a bookshop,

That'll be something to do with it being out of print.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

While I liked the Hogfather adaptation, it did start dragging horribly after a while, and it occured to me that it was perhaps trying to be too faithful to the book. Adding in every incidental character, special moment and so on just because you can leads to a very inflated story.

That said, I enjoyed it a lot more than the CoM one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Whalley posted:

the Australian version of UU :shobon:

I liked their Tower of Art with the 'shorter at the bottom than it is at the top' conceit. That amused me.

One of my favourites of the Rincewind series, but that's not saying much because I don't really like the Rincewind ones.

God, I still need to start Nation. It was next on my to read pile, but then the guy I'm dating forced me to read his favourite book, Perdido Street Station, and it's incredibly hard going. Great book, but the text is so rich and immersive, you have to keep taking breathers. The city of New Crobuzon is very Ankh-Morpork in a way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Night Watch is only out here in the newer style. It's topped only by Thud! in the Watch series.

Wrong. Night Watch is miles better.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

precision posted:

Thankfully I was proven very wrong by every Disc novel following it being pure gold, particularly the very next one, Carpe Jugulum.

Oh how I loved and hated Carpe Jugulum. Granny's angsting taking up half the book was what ruined it for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well, he seems to be grooming Moist as his successor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

Additional guests? Who else is there? Unless they mean Sam Gamgee or something.

Diane Duane, Peter Morwood, Bernard & Isobel Pearson ('The Cunning Artificer'). Ask Duane about her Trek books!

edit: I've been to a few DiscCons here in the UK. They're usually pretty fun. This one seems rather pricey though. $90 for membership, $130 a night hotel rate at 3 nights minimum... then food, spending money, etc.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 6, 2009

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pyrolocutus posted:

Not anything about his books, but Terry Pratchett spoke recently about a House of Lords decision on assisted suicide, tying his Alzheimer's into the discussion. It's pretty sad. :smith:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1203622/Ill-die-endgame-says-Terry-Pratchett-law-allow-assisted-suicides-UK.html

I read that last week and it was very hard to get through for me because Terry's family. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Try the other wizards/Death ones.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Entropic posted:

Eh... The Witches series really takes a while to get going though. Equal Rites is eminently skippable (as has been said before, Pterry drastically changed Granny Weatherwax's character after the first book) and Wyrd Sisters has got nothing on Men At Arms, it's not got much going for it IMHO unless you really love Shakespeare jokes. By around Witches Abroad or Lords and Ladies though, the Witches series takes off when the Granny/Nanny dynamic really clicks.

It's interesting how similar Commander Vimes and Granny Weatherwax are. I mean obviously they have completely different approaches, but at this point they're the two big uncrossable Defenders of Good on the Disc. I don't think they've ever met, have they?

Nope, and I hope they never will. I really hated Carpe Jugulum.. Vampires! Everywhere! And Granny's taking the time out to have a debate with herself about light and dark.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

Good job getting Christopher Lee as Death.

He's been Death before, you know. The Soul Music cartoon. As much as I like Ian Richardson, Lee gives much better Death.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Aussie Crawl posted:

PICTURES

You might want to stop leeching there and throw those up on Waffleimages before a mod spots it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Didn't Night Watch also have the bit at the beginning about Sybil worrying about Vimes, and her thinking about when he found 'the group of men and that little girl' and him completely losing it? To me, that was a step in the dark for Discworld.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Guitar_Hero posted:

See how they rise up, rise up, rise up...

You weren't there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

(such as Twoflower's glasses being literally interpreted as four eyes

There's a nice anecdote with that one. Kirby showed the painting to Terry and he praised it accordingly, and then pointed the eyes thing out to Kirby by asking "What did you call kids with glasses at your school?" To which Kirby replied "Four eye-oh, bollocks!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Just caught up with this thread... 400 posts since I last looked.

To whoever said about Terry carrying on with a new writer after he retires... not gonna happen. I asked him a few years ago about that, and he said Discworld dies with him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

And Christopher Lee would be too rich for SKYs blood.

Christopher Lee did it for Colour of Magic (and the cartoons from years ago).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

I saw a production of Guards! Guards! with Paul Darrow as Vimes a few years back, and he did a pretty brilliant job of it.

You must have caught the initial run when they were trying. The second run which I saw was barely above panto. Darrow was fun, but just hamming up the comedy something awful (:haw:).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

No, I felt the same way about Pyramids. When I finally got around to reading the books after several years of 'You haven't read the Discworld books?!'[1] I went through them in a haphazard order, coming around to Pyramids because I kept getting told how awesome it was. I really liked the first half in A-M, but the second half just dragged for me, and I genuinely couldn't care, although I liked the philosophers. I read it right after Small Gods, so Dios just felt like another Vorbis. It's been so long now since I've read them that they're pretty interchangeable in my head, and I can't remember which bit happened in what.

[1]I'm related to Pterry and have the same surname

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

If it turns up please post it here thanks.

Sir Goon to you buddy.

Sir Goon OBE :eng101:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mr. Moon posted:

Terry has been hinting at a lot of stuff re: the Unholy Empire in recent books.

Hinting or just mentioning?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

I thought racial/ethnic/religious minority immigrants were a thing in England well before 2001. :confused:

A few hundred years, yup.

Limehouse in the East End of London in the latter half of the 19th Century was pretty indistinguishable from Shanghai.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

And the US versions look like this:

The US books don't look like that. Those are the 'special edition' covers that came out a few years ago in the UK. My copy of Nation has one. I want to say they're the Waterstones editions?

No, the US books look like this:

They're really dreadful.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

You're definitely not the only one. Josh Kirby, god rest his soul, made some absolutely terrible covers.

Indeed. Lovely man, bought me a pint at one of the Discworld Cons. But his interpretation left a lot to be desired. Take Twoflower on the cover of Colour of Magic. He has 4 eyes, based on the joke in the book.

The story goes that Kirby did the artwork, Terry saw it, looked at Twoflower and said "Ron, what did you call kids at school with glasses?"
Kirby: "Four ey-oh bugger!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Hehe, I never knew this.

I do like Pauls art better though, The mish mash of magic light steampunk and late 18th century influences fit the style of Discworld better than what Kirby was going for.

Oh, absolutely. When Kidby started doing the illustrations in all the diaries and the like, I knew it'd only be a matter of time before he was doing the covers.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The US books now have slightly better covers that are still pretty crappy. The Unseen Academicals one:

Someone completely failing to get the concept of football there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Terry was on BBC Breakfast this morning and he kept forgetting words while talking. It was heartbreaking to watch. :(