Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Keshik posted:

While on the subject of older characters, does anyone remember if Djelibeybi has been mentioned even in passing in any of his books since Pyramids?

Colon pretended he was from Ur (in Djelibeybi) in Jingo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Krinkle posted:

Just finished rereading men at arms. What did vetinari mean about "politician"? I'm looking it up on dictionary.com but it keeps linking to other words. Does it mean "guy who personifies the city" or "city boss" or something? Word origins should be easier to find than this.

I just thought he meant like, someone who deals in being polite. But maybe not. :(

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I'm going to the Making Money signing in Torrance on the 24th. I'm also hoping to go to the one in NYC on the 1st of October but that is a bit of a long shot if I can get off work to take the trip I was planning to anyway. Anyone else going to the signings?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Tomorrow is the release date for Making Money but I swung by the book store earlier tonight and the woman was stocking new stuff on the shelves and they had a bunch of signed copies so I scooped one up and I'm gonna start it tonight.

gently caress, I was just by a Borders tonight and I could have checked if they happened to have it in early DD: I don't know if they make you buy the book at the same time as the signing in order to have it signed or if I could just bring an already bought copy. I really want to read it like now but I don't want to have to buy two copies.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Yes.

I went to the Torrance signing earlier; got there late because I became ensnared in the trap that is IKEA and arrived just in time to hear his last line of the talk and then people lined up for the signing. The line took about two hours to go through; I was one of the last ten or so. There was a surprising amount of people (to me at least) there. I didn't know he was so popular around here; very nice showing. The man himself is much smaller and elderly looking than I realized. I'd like to hear more of what he had to say during his talk, so I'd appreciate any more details.

I've now put my copy away and started looking for an ebook version.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Jingo and Hogfather are two of my favorites, and I really like Maskerade too. :O Really, I'd switch the ones you listed as liking for these. Except Small Gods. Small Gods can stay.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I thought it was Nanny Ogg that said the bit about the leopard's shorts? Or did Vetinari say it too.

edit: dur you must be talking about Making Money which I haven't read yet

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Krinkle posted:

I think it says "big whiskers" but I can't be sure. I have a pretty crummy beard so I don't know if he was referring to that.

Hell if I know what it says. It's driving me mad.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Patrovsky posted:

It obviously says "Lots of Wives". He wants you to be a polygamist.

Crap, I was hoping I was the only one who came to that conclusion. I'll have to be satisfied with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Perhaps if one could read it.