Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SaintFu posted:

Sky has a trailer up for Going Postal:

http://sky1.sky.com/going-postal-about

That was a cracking trailer. The only problem now is, the trailer goes against how I've always imagined the Golems to look like, even though the books almost directly say it as such, I've always seen them in my own little way. :(

I've just finished re-reading Jingo for what feels like the seventh time at least. I love this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

SKY Going Postal is getting closer and closer! I'm frigging pumped. I seriously hope they do The Truth Next.

What day is Going Postal set to be on? But I agree, The Truth would be excellent as a film, it's a nice stand alone effectively and doesn't need any set up to get into it, plus Otto would be great.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

All this talk of Detritus and Cuddy makes me want a new Watch book out already. :smith:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

LooseChanj posted:

Isn't "Scouting for Trolls" in the pipeline? Hopefully it'll have lots of Detritus.
It's definitely up coming, with Raising Taxes to be released first I believe, but its still a long wait.

I wonder if Brick will be in it, judging by the name that is.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

PotatoManJack posted:

With the exception of Soul Music, all my favorite Disc books have been about The Watch.

I can't remember which one it was, but one of my favorite scenes was when Nobby (I think) became part of a foreign wives basket weaving circle.
Jesus Christ, the last time I read Soul Music was 1998. That was a long time ago.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh my, Claire Foy. :swoon:

\/\/\/ I miss the OAPs (heh, old age postmen) from the novel.

They were in! and Going Postal was pretty drat good I think.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 31, 2010

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm struggling to remember where he appeared in the book. I would have liked to have seen him right at the beginning though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Always imagine Mr Tulip with the stereotypical gruff east end gangster accent myself his voice made hoarse as hell due to the attempted drug habit.

Pretty much this, with Mr Pin being the slightly quieter and more sinister sounding one.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Verimus posted:

Cheers for the suggestions. I missed Going Postal (What with being in the wrong hemisphere and all) but this almost made up for it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vffl7NWmso&playnext_from=TL&videos=T_uCeVqC31s

This is fantastic and needs a .GIF of it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Well, you can definitely discover the improvement as the books go on and then watch them falter slightly on the last few. The first few don't read anything like the last ones mind you.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I feel dumb now, I didn't notice Mossy Lawn or Brother Brutha, it makes me wonder what others I've missed.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

Rosie Palm.

No I definitely got this one and I got the twelve and a half percent joke after I thought about it. It was clever though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Seeing Soul Music on that list has made me realise that after lending the book to my father I have never had it back, the thieving bastard.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

He has got to love it, I assume the goons dad was in his prime in the seventies and would get the music references if he read long enough.
Correct on both accounts, he was the one who introduced me to Pratchett and couldn't track down his copy. I think the bugger still has it somewhere. Now that I think about it though Soul Music's ending wasn't particularly great, but it has been a long, long time since I read it. I think it's time to go hunt it down off him.

I also love your avatar and custom title Moist von Lipwig. :neckbeard:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Dammit, now I'm hoping for a book where Rincewind somehow turns the Ankh Mopork Madhouse into some weird Discworld version of the NHS :(.

After resetting up the tax system, Pratchett needs to hit the NHS, we've gotten the Royal Mint and the Post Office, the health service is the next target.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SaintFu posted:

My job has some unofficial yet awesome benefits:

How the hell did you get your mitts on that?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

After just re-reading Unseen Academicals, I can't quite understand the dislike for it, it's a pretty good book I think. It doesn't have as much as an impact as the darker novels, but it definitely feels that much more quirky.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Fifth Elephant is fantastic.

Mr Civilized!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Paul.Power posted:

Speaking of the Watch, I'm trying to remember now whether Angua's promotion to Captain has cropped up in any Discworld books before ISWM.

Oh well, I need to read Unseen Academicals again anyway :v:
Well sort of spoiled that for myself, but no, she hasn't prior to ISWM.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm about halfway through Nation now and I have to say it's bloody good. Does the pace pick-up at all because it's coasting through at the moment.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Did the Colour of Magic do that badly?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I didn't think it was too bad, but my complaints are the same as the thread so I won't repeat them.

I thought Hogfather was fantastic though so compared to to that it would have suffered regardless.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone been listening to the Mort radio play on the iPlayer? It's pretty decent I thought. The voice of Death seems a bit odd after watching the televised adaptations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Nilbop posted:

All four radio plays are fantastic. The Witches one less so because Wyrd Sisters just didn't do it for me, but Guards! Guards! is spot on (Welsh Carrot!) and Small Gods is just as good as you'd expect it to be.
Didn't know there was any other radio plays, definitely going to have to dig these out now as they're good to listen to whilst I work. :) Something to look forward to!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

LooseChanj posted:

There are no bad discworld novels, nor mediocre. :colbert: So I'll just say it's not amazing.
Prepare for someone to bring up Monstrous Regiment.

edit: which for the record I liked. Although the joke at the end went on a bit too far.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Iacen posted:

Wow, was pleasantly surprised by my Kindle suddenly downloading Snuff this morning. What excellent timing!
Alright for some!:argh:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Been reading mine now and then between work breaks this morning and it's a good enjoyable read so far, haven't read any Watch books in ages so I think it's time to start rebuying them for my Kindle. :)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

After starting Reaper Man again, I want a new Death book. :colbert:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The real question, is when will the next Watch book be?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Board game? Please tell me of Thud.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Started re-reading Thief of Time a few days ago. My first Discworld book, forgotten how much I'd enjoyed it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think it's hard to decide whether I like the Death books or the Watch ones more, they're both fantastic.

Speaking of Death: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pQUKV9MuM

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What the gently caress is that?^

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like the bits without Susan so much better than the bits with Susan that I'm still not sure why she's there...
I think she's a decent character, not the best.

Just finished Thief of Time, cracking book. :) Might bounce onto Soul Music(?). Not read that one in years.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Personally I'd recommend reading the Death books in order, Mort is still great in its own stance, and it is just adds to the pay off as you read the new(er) ones.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Death wasn't in Wee Free Men either.

Didn't actually notice Death being absent to be honest, surprising that one.

Ed: Found my old hardcover copy of The Fifth Elephant earlier too.

IT'S BECAUSE OF THE UNCERTAINITY PRINCIPLE.
'What's that?'
I'M NOT SURE.

:laffo:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

UA is still a solid book, but it is definitely one of the weaker of the Discworld novels. I'm surprised I couldn't remember Mr Nutt's name, the other lad was Likely? or something?

Dave Likelys lad? poo poo I have no idea.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I don't care what any of you say, another book with Jackrum in it would be pretty awesome.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think I first read Reaper Man about... poo poo, five or six years ago?

I was walking to a cafe to grab a bite to eat for lunch today and it hit me out of nowhere like a smack in the face.

Bill Door.
Bill, as in Billhook.

God drat Terry Pratchett, god drat you.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

This is going to happen a lot for you.
I thought I was pretty good for these, having got a few that some of my colleagues/friends had missed and thought I was pretty switched on. Pratchett proves me wrong. :negative: Billhook is so in your face that I don't know how I missed it.

Would be interesting to see if there is a collaboration of all these jokes to see which ones I have missed.

Jedit posted:

Not quite so much in that particular instance, but later on it is.

Imp is working in a chip shop and one of Susan's schoolmates says she'd swear he was elvish. It's a riff on the old Kirsty McColl song, "There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis".

Flipswitch: I know people who took longer than you took getting that joke to realise that the miniature lifetimer given to Death when the Auditors retired him is an hourglass equivalent of a gold fob watch. Don't feel bad about it.
I got both of these, thank Christ, had I missed them I would stop reading them entirely out of shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Stop making it worse guys, I'm a city boy, that's my excuse.