Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Gaiman also said in an interview that most of the stuff with Them was Pratchett's, and that Gaiman realizes that because Pratchett wasn't there, they played a smaller part of the story on the movie than they should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't really think Carcer's original character really works any longer, either. I especially do not want to hear a white Vimes giving his "the system works" speech to a black actor.

Well, he's played by a black actor because they chose to cast a black actor. And why doesn't Carcee's original character work any longer? Not every villian has to have a sympathetic backstory justifying his villainy. You can still just have a bad guy who's a bad guy.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Fighting Trousers posted:

Why would a female werewolf who's always been running away from something be a part of the shabby boys club of the pre-Carrot Night Watch?

I could be wrong, but I'm getting the impression that this thing is going to start with Carrot joining an already expanded City Watch.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Avalerion posted:

Especially if it means not having to wait for say Cherry and Detridus.

No casting for Detritus yet, and Cheery isn't being described as a dwarf in any of the marketing stuff so far.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Avalerion posted:

The ostracized by their kin sounds like she’s still a dwarf though, or who else would be “their kin”. And there’s her name itself too.

Could just be a person disowned by their family for being non-binary.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I think all of those things are true. Carrot is a, at the same time, a nice man, a good man, very clever when it comes to dealing with people, and not afraid to kill somebody if he figures he needs to.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Stroth posted:

It is not and has never been a secret to anyone important that Carrot is the rightful King of Ankh-Morpork. Everyone just ignores all of the very obvious evidence because they all know it's better than kicking over the whole system just because of who one person happens to be descended from.

And because Vimes would go spare.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I had heard that the planned book, "Scouting for Trolls" was going to be Carrot focused, with him founding/reviving the Ankh-Morpork version of the Boy Scouts.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
It would have been nice had the Shepherd 's Crown been finished. The book came out, but it was very much in need of polishing and expansion, with a lot of stuff set up that was never delivered on.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

angerbeet posted:

That's how Alzheimer's disease goes. That is how life goes.

Trust me. I know.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Is the tall red headed guy with the beard supposed to be Sam? Terry Pratchett always said that he pictured Sam as being played by Pete Postlethwaite, and that's honestly how I always saw him too. A giant buff Sam Vimes just seems off to me

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Dibbler in the books would have loved to be able to afford henchmen.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Pratchett said he always pictured Vimes as Peter Postwaite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Devorum posted:

The masks served no purpose other than as a plot device in one episode. The entire thing was dumb...which is why it sounds dumb.

It does seem very un-Pratchett to have the assassins wear masks. Assassins are proud of what they do. Its the most prestigious (and self-important) guild in the city.