Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Illuyankas posted:

What the hell is this? It's one of the better strings of sentences I've seen in the book so far and it's awful, can you imagine someone actually saying it out loud?
I haven't read any new Pratchett books in a while - just came across the thread while browsing - but it seems like a fairly standard "I'm seeing right through your thin cover story but I'm not calling you right out on it, just a little innocent conversation" thing to me such as it appears in pretty much every other Discworld novel of the last 20 years or so. Although it does seem like specifically much more of a witch thing to say.

bondetamp posted:

3. Stephen Fry as Aziraphale must happen.
By extension, Hugh Laurie as Crowley, now that he's not busy doing House anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Illuyankas posted:

She's saying it to and congratulating a goblin employee of hers.
Oh dear oh dear.

Yeah that's pretty awful then.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Double Comedy: Roy and Moss from IT Crowd.
I've seen the idea of Richard Ayoade as Aziraphale and Noel Fielding as Crowley kicked around and I actually think that might work. Although Fielding would probably design his own costume and it would be a red catsuit and plastic devil horns.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nilbop posted:

Do people seriously not get tired of Noel Fielding's shtick after like, 1 scene? He was a pleasant enough addition to IT Crowd but good lord, having him anchor a show would be horrible.
I like Luxury Comedy :colbert: But yeah you'd have to see if Fielding can actually do anything other than "flighty" or "Monty Python style looney".

As long as we're going through all the British double acts let's all imagine Mayall/Edmondson for a minute.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If I had to pinpoint a turning point I'd say The Truth. There were books with a general theme of "[modern thing] comes to Ankh-Morpork" before but that was the first one that made clear the modern thing was here to stay. In books like Moving Pictures, Men At Arms or Soul Music it was always a foreign element and the plot was more or less centered about getting rid of it again.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I miss Rincewind and the wizards. :(

Sam. posted:

Didn't they also stop the shopping mall from destroying Ankh-Morpork in Reaper Man?
That one was definitely the weirdest of the "modern element intrudes" plots.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've felt that way about a lot of Pratchett endings over the years.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At this point, secured funding would probably throw Gilliam out of his usual work environment.

DoctorWhat posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/r4-good-omens

BBC Radio 4 is doing an audio adaptation of Good Omens!
With Mark Heap and Peter Serafinowicz no less! This is amazing. Those two would probably do just fine on screen, too. It's just I'm wondering when they say "Heap and Serafinowicz as angel and devil respectively" if there hasn't been a mixup.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If Brandhorst translated it that's not so much a matter of preference as of keeping your sanity.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

precision posted:

wildly speculate that Cumberbatch will play Aziraphale
Surely if anything it'd be Crowley, right?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

VagueRant posted:

Huh, I wonder if there's a reason he's out of the two most recent (?) books. Seems a shame to break that record.
If I was a famous writer who'd very publicly gone on record with his position on assisted suicide, I'd probably tread easy on the subject too. People would read all kinds of stuff into it and make connections and maybe I'd rather the books stand on their own, or at least don't actively remind the reader that something's up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I still feel like they have it the wrong way around, but only slightly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When I was about 11 or 12, my video games magazine of choice had a regular feature on tabletop RPGs, and the editor who ran it had regular exchanges with readers about how good the Discworld series was. One day I just decided I'd see what was up with that and started with Small Gods, for no particular reason. Not a bad choice, I think.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The German translations all are, at least until recently, when the publisher started to have them retranslated by someone who actually seems to know their stuff.

I had a similar experience in that regard, I started with German translations and always thought the books were pretty good but something about the writing style was off somehow. A few years later had a go on the originals and realized I'd been ripped off all that time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nah, that was more the publisher's work. They did that to a few authors during that period. The ads weren't so much worked into the narrative as written with the most tenuous connection to it - they were on their own pages, inserted at one point near the beginning (sometimes mid-sentence) and you'd get something like "Teppic probably would like to take a soup break right about now, fortunately we can." Cause when you want to sell some soup, what you really want to do is patronize your target audience.

Anyway, that was all back in the... 80s, early 90s? None of those editions were even around when I got started anymore. They're probably only in libraries and used bookstores anymore (fetching collector prices I wouldn't be surprised).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have 30 messages and that's a really unlucky number where I come from.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm just sad my secret hope of Mayall/Edmondson is out of the picture forever now.

Just picture it, Crowley realizes there was a three-way switch and they wasted their time, Aziraphale kicks him in the bollocks and beats him over the head with a frying pan.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

supermikhail posted:

and even Colon's misadventures have been growing on me
"Colon out" is one of my favourite Discworld jokes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can blow anything.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can hardly remember Thud!. I only remember that I didn't like the bit at the end where Vimes goes nuts quoting a children's book. Thought it was too farcical even for Pratchett, which is a general issue I have with the later books.

That being said apparently I got into reading Discworld books again lately and apparently I'm focusing on the Watch books. If I know myself at all I'll end up rereading it fairly soon and I guess then we'll see!

Also, haven't read Men At Arms in ages, and never in English. Kind of looking forward to that, actually.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm seriously wracking my brains trying to remember just about anything else from the book. Most memorable is about right. :v:

Seriously though, I dunno, can't even remember when I read it so maybe I was just in a really bad mood and it didn't break through. It'll be like reading it the first time!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The dwarf bread of books.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Saw 44 new posts, knew exactly what was up. Gotta be honest, I was half expecting it every time this thread had new posts.

:(

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Translating Discworld must be a fun job.
Right until you hit a very specifically British cultural reference or a pun that is as integral to the scene as it simply doesn't work in your language. I think translators must drink a lot.

Of course as I'm fond of saying you can just be Brandhorst and not give a poo poo, or realize.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That was in Germany, but it was the publisher's doing (and Terry actually changed publishers over it) and not as such "in the middle of the text", more like an extra page inserted somewhere that had the ad, although they did make clumsy attempts at integrating it with the current scene ("couldn't our heroes go for a bowl of soup right now"). Here is a more comprehensive account of the whole business, but sadly it seems to have lost its example image.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's politics and there's being a fantasy person and getting a knighthood and a sword.

e: that was, in fact, his comment on it

quote:

"You can't ask a fantasy writer not to want a knighthood. You know, for two pins I'd get myself a horse and a sword."

e2: possibly the best picture I've ever seen of the man:

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 14, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you have some time to spare, you should watch Neil Gaiman talk at length about Terry and their relationship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeyjn3EaHAM

And if you don't have the time to spare, at least listen to the anecdote that starts around 30 minutes in.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's even worse than I remembered.

But enough about the translation, the same goes for the ad: as if interrupting mid-sentence wasn't bad enough, it flat out suggests you take a break from reading. Do they know their audience or what.

For reference:

quote:

Where Teppic is right now isn't suitable for a leisurely picnic - so he rides on.

But we may as well take a break. After all, there are many adventures ahead. So let's halt our reading for five minutes and prepare something hot and savoury: for example...

[and then it's just the pitch for their lovely instant soup thing]

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The new German translations by Gerald Jung are really good. At least from what I can see in amazon previews. Dialogue now sounds like actual people talking to each other, if you can imagine. Everyone sounded the same as everyone else and as the narrative voice in the old ones.

That being said, there's new cover art as well.

I know the idiom about judging books as well as anybody, and I'd rather have the good translation if it comes down to that, but...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Reminds me sort of Discworld Noir.
It does have that distinct "late 90s 3D graphics" vibe that always reminds me of games from that era.

It's just so undynamic. Here's a man smoking a cigar while steering a boat through rough waters at great speed like a badass, and everything's completely rigid with a plastic sheen, water droplets hanging in the air, there seems to be a floodlight suspended inches from his head and he looks like it's his morning commute and he's sick of the rat race and wants to buy a Harley.

Granted, I haven't read Snuff

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think it's the nature of the beast, really. I mean, the Watch books are pretty much all
- [crime] happens
- Watch investigates, things go deeper than initially suspected
- Vimes has to sort things out under pressure from Vetinari, his family, and several subsets of the populace
- Vimes does sort things out to the notable improvement of life in Ankh-Morpork in general
- Vetinari has been on top of it from the very beginning

Especially the last bit does get a bit grating if I read a few in a row, like I have just done. Probably time for a break.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

supermikhail posted:

Les Ch'tits Hommes libres: Tiphaine Patraque. :psyduck: What does that even...?
The Wee Free Men, apparently Tiphaine Patraque is Tiffany's name in France.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was just leafing through Jingo a bit and came across a translation blunder I never quite realized. Vetinari visits Leonard to talk about the new island, and at the end there's a sequence of dialogue where Leonard mentions off-handedly he's actually been there and a few minutes later says he ran out of Burnt Umber, Vetinari eventually gets ready to leave but hurries back minutes later and asks Leonard "you did what?"

Reading the (old) German translation you never realize that Vetinari has just now caught on to Leonard's aside remark about Leshp, which is only one of the main plot points of the whole book as it goes on, because in his mysterious ways the translator thought Vetinari's last line referred to the burnt umber, and so in the German version he runs back in, catches his breath and very carefully asks "you ran out of what?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In my head Nigel Planer always sounds like Neil. And now I started thinking about Discworld characters that would be appropriate for and all I can think is Reg Shoe. Even though he's clearly more of a Rick.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

daggerdragon posted:

I have a feeling he's a relative of Mr. Gambolputty.
Maybe not quite!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just imagine Terry's take on bitcoin for a minute. That alone would have been worth a book. Warehouses filled with little imp cages.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vimes could probably have managed to get them citizenship in Ankh-Morpork to mutual benefits.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The older they are, the more they're going to be like Color of Magic. Terry started going into a different direction quite quickly. I'd say those that are most like it are The Light Fantastic and Sourcery. Possibly Equal Rites but I can hardly remember that one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, the witches, like the Watch, don't lose steam so much as build up too much steam to the point of becoming more or less unstoppable within their areas of expertise and then having trouble staying inside the lines of a story.
Gatecrashing an established story and putting their own spin on it is pretty much the witches' entire MO, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

withak posted:

You should pick up the third book.
That'd be Equal Rites. Maybe the fourth.