Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Nilbop posted:

Yeah cos BSkyB are going to pony up money for a TV show about the pubescent adventures of the Antichrist.

...I think you may be confusing Small Gods with Good Omens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

VagueRant posted:

I've just finished The Fifth Elephant and it looks like Night Watch is next. I look forward to be completely disappointed after all the hype! But will I be okay having not read Reaper Man? I DO like Reg Shoe, mind...

And despite my aim to purely focus on the Watch books, I was also thinking about giving Going Postal a go after Night Watch - I've heard good things. Thoughts?

You might want to read The Truth first, as it comes juuuuust before Night Watch and the events of the former are referenced several times in the latter. It's also pretty interesting in and of itself, as it provides a look at the Watch from an outsider's point of view which you don't really get in very many other books in the series.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
:psyduck: If you're THAT concerned about even the most minor and inconsequential of spoilers, why are you even reading the thread?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The DPRK posted:

If I wanted to give Pratchett an honest go, where should I start do you think? It's not unusual for me to duck out of a series everyone thinks is amazing because I can't get through the set up.

Men at Arms. It's the second book of the Watch series, works well as a stand-alone novel, and is a very good introduction to Pratchett's style of writing and humor.

e: Starting with Mort or Guards, Guards! is also a good choice.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It is worth noting that you don't need to read anything else to enjoy Night Watch, though the context is still nice. I literally threw a bunch of Discworld books at one of my friends a few years back to get him into them, and despite my warnings he started with Night Watch, but he still absolutely loved it because regardless of anything else it's a really fuckin' solid book.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Honestly, I think that arguing you need to read everything in the Watch and Death series to enjoy Night Watch does a disservice to the book. While it's nice to have some context for events or characters, the book is remarkably self-contained. Sure, there's an extra emotional oomph from having followed Vimes' career from Guards, Guards! onward, but it's not necessary-and even the events of Thief of Time are largely incidental.

Ultimately, Night Watch is an incredibly strong book that stands up very well even without having read the rest of the series. If you want to read everything that comes before it, great! They're all great books that I love. But don't let anyone tell you that you need to read them, because you honestly don't-they're just afraid you won't love it as much if you don't go into it the same way they did.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I will say that repetition is definitely one of Pratchett's biggest weaknesses. When I was rereading the Watch series over the past month, for instance, it struck me that how many of them— Guards, Guards, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo to a very small extent, and even The Truth all feature a plot to replace the Partician in some way. They're all executed well enough and differently enough that I personally don't mind, but it is a flaw that's worth mentioning.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

chernobyl kinsman posted:

ankh-morpork is not a real place and terry pratchett has complete control over his plots. it's repetition of plot.

It's also worth noting that Vetinari's hyper-competence comes from the Watch books themselves—If Pratchett had really wanted to, he could have either written Vetinari as less competent or written the plots in a way that didn't involve him as directly (Probably most easily in Men at Arms). Like I said, it doesn't really bother me since the books are executed well enough and differently enough that they don't feel like they have the same core plot three books in a row, but it is worth noting as an unfortunate tendency of Pratchett's.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I remember my first Discworld novel very clearly and can even tell you exactly when it was: Late April, 2009. I was a sophomore in high school (Apologies to everyone that I just made feel old :v:), and was visiting Atlanta as part of a robotics competition. Walking through a small bookstore in the CNN center looking for something to read on the bus ride home, I picked up The Colour of Magic and ended up buying it on the recommendation of a friend. I blazed through it, loved it, and immediately started scouring my local library and Borders bookstore for more, until I'd eventually gone through the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
First book I read was Color of Magic, picked it up in a bookstore at the CNN center in Atlanta while at a high school robotics competition. After that, went with whatever I could find at the library and the nearby Borders until it went out of business.