Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

StrawmanUK posted:

Always makes me sad when ppl recommend skipping TCOM and TLF. They were the only two discworld books released when I started my love for Pratchett and I still think they are rollicking., fun adventure stories. Rincewind, Twoflower and the Luggage are still my favourite characters.

They were written before Pratchett settled into his usual rollicking style. However they are still great if only because of how relentlessly Pratchett tortures Rincewind. And it all kind of turns out okay at the end! The end of the TCOM is such a great cliffhanger. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I come into the Pratchett thread to read about Pratchett and instead get a bunch of goons being goons. Quality content.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Oh wow, I completely forgot I'd seen him in that until just now.

Honestly, all the bumf they've said about the Watch series sounds like the worst kind of marketing blurb by people who don't understand it in any way. 'Punk rock thriller' 'startlingly re-imagined'. :cripes:

I'm calling that it's going to look like present day London with trolls and the like thrown in.

tbh that link sounds just like Bright.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I watched the first episode and it looks like they updated it to the present day. That’s a bummer to me, the 80s setting was part of the joke, and now we won’t get the “I bet it needs a lot of wire” line. :eng99:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

The thing is, it takes place in the present day, but they didn't change any of the details that firmly tie it to 1990, except Crowley's got CDs in his car now instead of tapes.

I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, mainly for that, and for the overbearing narration that completely ignores how this is a TV show and you can just show things to the audience. Tennant and Sheen are very good though, and so are Newt/Shadwell/Madame Tracy from what little I've seen.

I was afraid of all of that. I’ll still watch it though it seems like it has a lot of problems that many adaptations of Discworld material also shares: too much twee, not enough focus on the philosophical aspects. It’s easy to let the cleverness of the prose overwhelm the adaptation and not take it seriously when the story calls for it (because again the people doing the adaptation were too taken with the prose.)

The only adaptation I recall enjoying was Hogfather and that’s because the antagonists were treated with real drama and menace instead of endless rehashing and parroting of the prose and making it “cute” because that was supposed to be comedy. The first episode of Good Omens really gave me bad vibes on the cutesification aspect and the narrator kept running over the drama of the scenes as a crutch instead of letting it breath for themselves. If that continues throughout the series then that’s super disappointing, the story is strong enough to be dramatic on its own without a narrator going LOOK LOOK HOW DRAMATIC THIS ALSO I’M REPEATING ALL THAT CLEVER STUFF FROM THE NOVEL BECAUSE OF HOW CLEVER IT WAS BECAUSE WE DIDN’T TRUST THE ACTORS OR THE SCENES TO CONVEY IT.

Hurff.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 22, 2019

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Cardiac posted:

With Carrot, there are some parts in the early books where it is apparent how the honest, good natured cop is partly an act.
Isn't there one book where he straight up stabs the bad guy without any warning or remorse?

In Men At Arms he and Vimes corner the murderer after he’s shot Angua. Carrot keeps his cool on the surface and then stabs him hard enough that his sword passes into the stone pillar behind the killer.

“Something Vimes had learned as a young guard drifted up from memory. If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat.

They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the moment of murder like another man will put off a good cigar.

So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.”

Carrot killing the murderer so fast is supposed to be the proof that he’s a Good Man...or as good as you can get in AM.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Khizan posted:

It's worth noting here that the murderer here was about 0.2 seconds away from saying "I know you're the rightful king! I have proof!"

Indeed, and Carrot doesn’t want to hear it. He had a lot of reasons to kill the dude. Wish I could remember the name but oh well

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Nah, the Rook show was cancelled just before it aired, cause they realised at the last minute that they took out all the fun and had an unappeaing mess on their hands. There's no way that they'd release the Rook without my favourite belgian monster-men featuring in a couple of awesome set pieces. That would make no sense and will somebody please tell me everything is going to be okay.

I liked the first Rook book, what happened to the adaptation?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

IshmaelZarkov posted:

No Bishops, no Grafters, Myfanwy's powers manifest differently, members of the court are aware immediately about her situation, and there is no drat fun.

On the upside? Gestalt was done pretty much perfectly. Although it has a romantic subplot with Myfanwy. As do a bunch of other characters.

That being said, the Rook series was cancelled, so no innocent Zarkovs were hurt by its release.

Yikes. Half the fun of the book was the absurdist comedy, it’s not the same if you take that out. Good thing it’s cancelled bc :lol:

The Rook is not meant for ~prestige television~, it’s a drama sure but it’s also making fun of fantasy and scifi novels and the X-Men. I still think about the bit with the dragon, it was a perfect lampooning of McAffrey.

Cardiac posted:

Well, my impression is rather that Carrot is a stone cold killer who when he needs to show no remorse or hesitation in killing a person.
That is not automatically the description of a good man in my opinion.

As said, Carrot can be multiple things at once. Vimes also shows little remorse or hesitation in Night Watch when he’s at his dirtiest. He’s still supposed to be the good guy.

The thing about Pratchett that’s easy to miss because his prose is steeped in absurdity and word play, is that he has few characters that are unequivocally good in the fairytale sense. They tend to be dingy and flawed, especially as time goes forward. Out of the Discworld cast imo Death is the only one who actually stands out as a Big Good with no moral shades of gray and that’s because he’s the great equalizer.

Of course it depends on your personal temperment and what you can stand. All of that may be true but it doesn’t mean you have to be thrilled with Carrot.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The problem is that Carrot’s potential was never explored. He’s just relegated to being the fresh faced deputy. He’s there to solve Vimes’ problems, exposition dump about dwarves, be Angua’s blank faced paramore, and essentially be a wallflower in a cast of interesting characters. Nobby Nobbs has more going on than Carrot, as Nobbs falls in love, shows us a window into his upbringing in Night Watch (his father habitually broke his arms if I remember right) and shows some startling social acumen during his double act with his partner.

Carrot is simple, perpetually cheerful, has the capacity for leadership but hesitates to use it, has a very humble mindset (even after a promotion he still knocks on the servant door) and for approximately two books was willing to do shady things: 1) putting down Cruces whose mind was gone, but also shot Angua 2) letting his romantic rival die, again over Angua.

Those have the capacity for some interesting character exploration. But that isn’t touched on again. Carrot becomes Vimes plot device and we don’t see those shady qualities again. Carrot is just this supposedly incorruptable pure being that did maybe two bad things but we don’t talk about that because he’s getting Sam through traffic so Sam can read to his son before bedtime.

I can’t blame anyone for not liking Carrot, dude is a cardboard cutout. Rip lost potential.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Sean Bean also played a minor role in the astronaut stuck on Mars movie and didn't die. Whatever the title of that was.

Point is I could see him playing Vimes provided he could lean into the humor of the role.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

...The Martian.

Yes, that one! thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
It also ends with lots of veiled references to modern musicals iirc