Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I was going to complain that while I don’t mind Cruces being made into a woman the person they cast is obviously too young for the character but then I looked it up and Ingrid Oliver is 42, so, uh, never mind that.

I’m honestly not that heartened that they’re doing the greatest hits of the Watch books. Even one book is enough material for a full miniseries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

freelop posted:

It's being described as a "punk rock thriller"

To be fair, that could be a problem with marketing, not with the show itself

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I just think of Vimes like a scragglier and thinner Clint Eastwood like the Paul Kidby art depicts him

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I finally moved all my books from my old bookshelves to my new ones, and it really struck me that the only prose fiction I have is my old Terry Pratchett Discworld books. I must have read each of those books at least three times

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Just have an all female theater company. Problem solved

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Is Raising Steam worth reading? I've avoided Snuff because I've heard from this thread and elsewhere that the alzheimers, sadly, must have been hitting him pretty hard in that one because it's not that good in general and, worse, a lot of the characters are pretty out of character. I recall hearing that I Shall Wear Midnight was good, though, so clearly the degradation was not linear so yeah. I can't recall what the thread consensus or fandom one was on Raising Steam.

I always felt Thud! speaking of his alzheimers - since I recall that was the first one published after the announcement, I think? - was rather underrated. Then again, I love the Watch and the Dwarves so yeah.

EDIT: And for some additional context on my thoughts on 'lesser' Pratchett; I liked Making Money. I didn't think it was bad per se, just kind of a retread of Going Postal and a bit weaker. Still pretty fun.

Raising Steam and Snuff are both worth reading, imo. They’re different but they’re good send offs to Discworld

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Remora posted:

Some of ya'll have never read a truly bad book and it shows.
That we could all be so lucky.

I admit, I don’t really read prose nowadays so I can’t say I’ve read a truly bad book in the last few years. I guess I can say I’ve read bad manga

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

*I find it funny that when you think about it, the fantasy setting in popular culture that's probably closest in setting to Discworld since Discworld stopped being a parody of generic medieval fantasy is probably Warhammer Fantasy, of all things.

Discworld is a good setting though

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tree Bucket posted:

What was the first Discworld everyone read? I started with "Interesting Times" and it absolutely blew my 12-year-old mind. I had no idea what was going on but "your wife is a big hippo" and "there he is! Get 'im! Got 'im? Now kick 'im inna fork!" were pure magic.

My first was Thief of Time, and it’s still my favorite Discworld book. The Death and Susan books are my favorites, there’s something about cosmological Discworld that I adore

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Terror Sweat posted:

Is Arnold American looking? Cause I pictured carrot like him

“American looking” is a very very fraught term and as an American I am deeply nervous about any attempt to define it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Just picture Chris Evans with ginger air as Carrot.
Not another teen movie Chris Evans.
Oh poo poo Billy bob Thornton as Nobby.
No wait, Steve buscemi as Nobby.
No wait...Walton goggins.nailed it.

Andy Serkis doing the mocap for Nobby

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Beachcomber posted:

I think Tom Hiddleston could pull off a decent Rincewind, as he is in my head. He could sound depressed and put upon enough.

I don’t know if the world can handle hot Rincewind

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tokelau All Star posted:

Over the past year I've read all the Watch books, then read all the Death books, and finally Small Gods. Favorites from each series were Night Watch and Thief of Time. The only book I didn't really like was Snuff. Anyway, where do I go from here? I'm thinking of reading some more one-offs rather than diving into a series. Monstrous Regiment? Pyramids?

I really like Small Gods and Moving Pictures

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

YggiDee posted:

Actually it's one of the best

:hmmyes:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

El Fideo posted:

I'm going to ask it again, why does Sybil have slaves chained up in a basement?

Because she’s a vigilante now. Presumably she’s trying to re-educate them

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s okay to not be interested in children’s books but the difference between Pratchett’s books for younger readers and the books meant for adults is pretty small

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Julio Cruz posted:

well it's a million times better than the previous ones

there's the nugget of a decent action/sci-fi series in there, and honestly even an OK Discworld one

they just need to get rid of all the kookiness and all the loving awful "comedy", and cast a Vimes whose acting talent isn't limited to just pulling one face all the time

Really? It looked bland and uninteresting to me

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Kesper North posted:

I have to admit I kind of wondered if the Tories literally killed this series out of a desire to erase a great progressive satirist.

The show is sort of the semiotic opposite of "GNU Terry Pratchett".

There are many things you can blame on the Tories, a bad tv show is probably not one of them

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

My Lovely Horse posted:

You know, I'm kind of enjoying it. Was expecting worse, have seen worse on TV, too. It's definitely at its worst when it directly references known Discworld concepts though, you can tell after some point they just wanted to make their own thing (and, arguably, did).

Yeah it’s just that if they wanted to make their own thing they could’ve just done that and not bastardized a series that people love

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Phenotype posted:

I had to stop because I'm supposed to be working today, but man. I appreciate that Nanny Ogg comes out and says there's no shame in crying for people you've loved. It got me when it first hit me what was happening, then again when Death shows up, then again for that line, and AGAIN for Ridcully weeping. Jesus. And then you close the book and one of the reviewer quotes on the back says that Pratchett belongs alongside Voltaire, Swift, and Vonnegut, but while all those authors are neatly arranged on his bookshelves, his Pratchetts are strewn all over his house full of dogears and scribbles, because Pratchett was part of his life.

RIP Esme Weatherwax, and RIP Terry Pratchett. The world would have been a much darker place without everything you brought to it.

Man now I’m crying

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I was thinking about Jingo recently and only just realized that Snowy Snopes was a play on Lee Harvey Oswald and the grassy knoll

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Testekill posted:

I can't believe that bugrit millennium hand and shrimp is a reference to Particle Man.

Foul Ol Ron was the result of putting a Chinese restaurant’s menu through several layers of auto translation I thought

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CommonShore posted:

I'm about 90 pages in to Moving Pictures and I just realized that I'm reading the Archchancellor as having a cartoonish Australian accent. Is there something in the text to suggest this and I just picked it up in passing or am I brokebrained

He’s from Lancre iirc

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

EDIT: Also how in God's name can anyone read the Dwarf stories and think that Pratchett would have been a transphobe?

Right? There’s so much trans narratives in the Dwarf stories, it’s absurd to read them and think “this is a guy who’d hate trans people”

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Imagined posted:

This opinion piece in the NYT goes into some of the history https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/opinion/terf-trans-women-britain.html

Can someone with a subscription please give a summary? There’s a paywall

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It was influenced by nu-atheists? Well that explains a lot

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Pratchett wasn’t that bullish on democracy, was he? The few times he depicted it it was obviously satirical, and he definitely seemed to prefer a sort of philosopher-king style person in charge who knew better than you

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Imagined posted:

There's Twoflower. He's whatever the Discworld analog of asian is, isn't he? Let's not mention that he's a tourist stereotypically obsessed with taking photos...

Yep. There’s also Pteppic from Pyramids who’s Egyptian-esque

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Feliday Melody posted:

I remember one Rincewind book where he goes to fantasy Australia.

And I think..... Deaths assistant? reads up a list of animals that are dangerous on the continent. And Death asks him to just list the things that aren't dangerous and the answer was something like "a few of the sheep I guess"

and I remember thinking that a better answer would have been to make a reference to Rincewind since he was on the continent at that very moment. To emphasize how dangerous the continent was in contrast to him.

Rincewind is surprisingly dangerous. He ran around for years with a creation spell in his head and went to fight the creatures of the Dungeon Dimension with a brick in a sock. He’s one of the few people to survive proximity to Cohen the Barbarian

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s a moment in Unseen Academicals where, when a bunch of wizards start fighting, Rincewind remembers the last time wizards fought like this and took off a sock and started looking for a brick

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Maybe also Guards Guards and Men at Arms for the full Vimes experience

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I got someone to buy a Discworld book at my job today. Feels good

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Just shortlisted a handful of Discworld books for the store I work at. I wish we could have a bigger section for his works but for some reason his stuff doesn’t sell too well/get new printings like other authors

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Alhazred posted:

But that's pretty specific to the USA though. In Britain or Europe in general cops doesn't origin from slave patrols.

No, no, there’s only one country in the world and that’s America

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Imagined posted:

"Only American cops are bad. My country's cops are cool and good." :goonsay:

I’m American, I don’t think foreign cops are shining beacons of justice, but goddamn is it tiresome for every discussion about a fantasy world to eventually end up with a person yelling about how all cops are bastards.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Phenotype posted:

I mean, it's okay to think all cops are bastards and cop-centered media is copaganda, and ALSO enjoy the Watch books or sit down for a Law and Order rerun now and then. The damage they do is in getting society to view "police=hardworking goodguys" as the default, and you can certainly read the books while being aware that that they're about an idealized version of what people wish the cops were really like.

I wonder if people in the 13th century or whatever were sitting there talking about how there are some really great King Arthur stories but it really whitewashes how brutal the knights are to us.

AKAB

All Knights Are Bastards

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The whole of Soul Music leading up to a world of hertz pun

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ChubbyChecker posted:

wasn't there some dwarf king

Iirc the Dwarf King is in a (mostly hidden) hetero relationship

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CommonShore posted:

I'm going to go through Snuff and Raising Steam for the first time probably in the next couple of months, likely before the end of the year (I tend to intersperse a couple of discworld books between other selections, and I'm due to go back to one of the heavier books on my list, (which I think in this case is Gibbon Vol 2) after I finish Unseen Academicals

Would the thread like for me to post my thoughts/reactions/reviews as I read them?

I know I would. I ended up liking the books, although they definitely weren’t as strong as the others. I listened to the audiobook which helped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SirSamVimes posted:

Wintersmith is still one of my favourite Discworld books.

And yet you’re not named TiffanyAching. Curious