Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Doubtful Guest posted:

The Wee Free Men looks like it's being made into a movie by the Jim Henson company with Rhianna Pratchett writing it.

[http://www.wired.co.uk/article/terry-pratchetts-discworld-novel-wee-free-men-heading-to-cinemas

Edit: Just realised that this story is from July. Apologies.

Id like to see that. Did anything ever happen with the watch tv show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I cried a lot when I read Raising Steam. I have been reading Pratchett since the 90s and a lot of it felt like goodbyes to readers.

Haven't been able to go back to it since then. Still haven't read Shepherd's Crown.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Good Omens announced as a co-production by Narrativa, the BBC and Neil Gaiman's Blank Corperation:

http://narrativia.com/good-omens-announcement.html

For broadcast in 2018 by BBC and Amazon.

Hooray! Something to look forward to!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
After a trip to a used bookstore I decided to start a reread project for myself. I have them all digitally but I lost all my paper copies in a move several years back. I found Guards Guards, Men at Arms and Jingo, so I thought that would be a nice beginning.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Not quite the same but I always enjoyed Richard Rankin.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

VagueRant posted:

At least he had some vague sense of charisma? They turned fellow charming conman (and dark mirror to the protagonist) Reacher Gilt into a cackling old crippled generic evil guy.

I always pictured gilt as Clive russel on spaced

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

freebooter posted:

There is definitely a scene that ties it in with her Borrowing ability, I just can't remember which book it is. That's the problem with a re-read, I don't know if I'm remembering something from last year or 15 years ago.

In Wyrd sisters they discuss her communing with the land, and it is Borrowing in a way but not the same as when she controls the bees.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

iajanus posted:

I was moving all my books into my new shelves and I remembered I lent my copy of Men At Arms to a friend a decade ago and never got it back :argh:

My OCD!

You order by publication date? Pleb.

(Nice collection :) )

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

iajanus posted:

It was the only way that satisfied my OCD sufficiently.

Although now that you mention it.........

Well if you THINK about it, you rarely read them in publication order, rather by series...

laughingsatan.gif

vvv Clearly he needs 2 more sets of the books so he can order them by publication, by series, and by chronological order.

It's the only way to be sure.

hanales fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 23, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Soul Music isn't a top tier discworld novel, but it gains a full letter grade for the BORN TO RUNE joke alone

I love Soul Music and all the standalones, really. Also I love all the series based ones.

I guess what I'm saying is I really love all the Discworld books. Even the ones at the end that weren't as well written.

Fight me.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I'm not disputing that at all, what I'm saying is that before Snuff he was written as being like Jeeves, or the Admirable Crichton. Jingo revealed him to be a surprisingly dirty fighter, and Night Watch showed us he'd been in a street gang in his youth, but he was always written as exceedingly polite and civil. All very demure and 'yes, your grace'.

I think he began moving towards that characterization in Thud right? When he's a member of the specials showing off to A.E. Pessimal? I don't have my copy in front of me but I recall him being more street tough in that role.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Whatever happened to the night watch tv series? Did it go into development limbo?

I know the movies weren’t the best, but I’d rather they kept making them than have nothing at all :(

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Rihanna said in October '16 that it was still ongoing. That was the last word. By 'the movies' do you mean the Sky TV specials?

Michelle Dockery (Susan in Hogfather) is in the National Theatre production of Network with Bryan Cranston at the moment, and the whole play I was racking my brains over where I'd seen her before.

Yeah the sky specials. I enjoyed them in a “on in the background” kind of way.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Xander77 posted:

That looks really good.

It's easier to make a good adaptation by expanding the source material than by

Ok, the Hobbit and LotR movies tell us this isn't necessarily the case. But it's easier to make a Pratchett adaptation that way.

That looks amazing.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Friends of Crowley remember he is holy, but foes say Crowley, in order to treat him foully.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
also that looks and will most likely be awesome, but I am really excited for and want to see troll bridge.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Best news all week. The watch is my favorite series by far.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah despite being slightly compacted for time Hogfather really was the only one of those adaptions that was decent. Then they let David Jason hijack the future project that was the terrible Colour Of Magic.

I honestly enjoyed all the adaptations. They weren’t amazing but they were good enough for a watch.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

Why do people think that having a different opinion about elfbooks is trolling?

Being sarcastic and contrarian isn’t an opinion. It falls more under the hot take category.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Sanford posted:

I've come here becasue I saw four new posts in the TP thread. What are we oofing about?

Probably the random gender shifts of characters.

Might work, might not. I’m more concerned about young thin Sybil. Is the plot going to follow the time traveling night watch book?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Canuckistan posted:

That quote was off to me as well. Mostly because I don't see the Dibbler character as mischievous.

He literally commits fraud in a daily basis.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

If it was an ongoing Discworld show, I might have a bit more of an issue with the gender-swaps, but only because gender issues were a pretty well-discussed issue in the novels, and that sort of thing would likely butt heads with the established lore. But this is a one-off story, and "girls can't be wizards or the ruler of the city" is something that can very easily be ignored in context. (Not to mention that outside of AM there's women in leadership positions fairly often).

Oh I thought they were making a series. Is it going to be a made for TV movie like the sky one stuff?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Boxturret posted:

Didn't they swap out Vimes with the body when he went back or am I just making that up. Its been years since I last read it.

Correct. The history monks do that right at the end.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Graham Linehan is probably sobbing right now

Dude an nb person as cheery is making him punch walls.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I feel like some people are probably not gonna be satisfied no matter the choices. Personally I love reimaginings of his work, I think they’ve by and large tried and done well at telling good discworld stories.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

So I’ve just finished Mort, which I liked a lot (though the ending was a little weak). Previously I’ve read Guards! Guards! which was fantastic.

Question is: do I keep pursuing one of these two (which is better?) or should I try something like Rincewind or Wyrd Systers (which I don’t think I’ll care for as much).

The city watch is always a favorite but I recommend reading in publish order. You’ll get Easter eggs and references that way that make the world more fun.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Space Butler posted:

Which is very much not when this TV show appears to be set.

It has carcer 🤷🏻‍♂️

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Has anyone seen troll bridge yet?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Has there been any new news on the show?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Production has been paused for obvious reasons.

Can you believe I momentarily forgot about corona

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Yeah those two and small gods are my favourite too.and jingo.carpe jugulum is probably the funniest.and Mort.and going postal.

crap.

I'll say this about night watch; I read it right after reading Roberto Bolano's 2666, which is a legit Masterpiece of Literature and there is usually a refractory period after reading something like that , and even then I was blown away.night watch is really good.

You’re not so stupid, for all that you wear a funny hat.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I like all the books for different reasons.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Sarern posted:

I'm not disputing your description of events but I do not see those events the same way.

I do not see a lot of daylight between "cop getting pissy and withdrawing protection from a public figure whom criminals are actively trying to whack" and "setting a public figure up to be whacked". It reminds me too much of the bullshit cops get up to in real life. If you want to stick to fiction, it is similar to what Captain McCluskey does during Vito's hospitalization in the Godfather, except in Pratchett's case, without the conspiracy with a Sollozzo figure. Maybe the lack of that conspiracy means a lot to some readers, but I find it small comfort.

Yes, Vimes didn't hire the murderers, but he knew someone was out there, and said "gently caress it" anyway. There's some daylight between the two, sure, if that's the difference you want to split, but for me the two are close enough that I was never able to buy the pro-cop direction the watch stories seemed to go after that.

After all the watch novels I'm still unsure if Pratchett was ambivalent about the morality of his supercop and if so, to what extent. I'd love to hear other readers' readings of the arc of the Watch novels.

If y’all are discussing “the truth” that’s not a vimes novel, and if we let DeWorde be trailed by our infallible heroes there isn’t the opportunity for his dramatic victories, instead he’s just be saved by angua or carrot at the last second. It also would go against his personal growth as a wannabe maverick who is going against his family.

I don’t think it’s any deeper than that.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Hopeful, optimistic. Just use an adjective, rather than smash two words together.

Agreed. He’s a hopetimist.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Xander77 posted:

I think we may be thinking about different writers?

I'm talking about Terry Pratchett, the author of the Discworld books. You may know him as the guy who stans for an enlightened dictatorship and whose only explicit mention of democracy in the modern timeline involves "and so they voted for bread and circuses, haha, stupid masses"? The guy for whom every single person pushing for civil rights is either a moron or a fraud (because that's politics, and what kind of decent person would go into that)? The guy who does "minority rights advocates are just elitist SJW's, real (model) minorities don't concern themselves with that nonsense" jokes straight out of Mallard Fillmore? The guy who wrote a book where a person sent to inspect the police force (for the first time ever, apparently, since Vimes is enough of a moral paragon that he can police himself) was an annoying interfering twerp who only came around (to be a real manly man who attacks protesters) once he realized that the police force are the thin blue line that separates society from chaos?

I'm not suggesting he's a Garrison level (as an aside, that's another person who takes issue with Jews "bad bankers", because literally every single stripe of political ideology has a problem with "bad bankers", they just don't agree that the term means) mega-chud - denigrating democracy and civilian control of police and military forces is such a long-standing tradition for "non-ideological" liberal writers that it's easier to note the exceptions.

He's just (to use the Disco-Elyisum term) a true-born, dyed in the wool moralist. Who absolutely does believe that "having nice people in the right positions would fix everything wrong" - and of course, nice people believe in common sense consensus-liberal politics, they just aren't... you know, political or loud about it.

Democracy is pretty much a massive failure globally.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Tokelau All Star posted:

Finished Monstrous Regiment, I agree that it ran out of steam at the end, but still quite enjoyable. Polly was a solid POV, and I'm a sucker for stories where the main character figures out that they aren't really the most important person to the story.

Where to now? I'm thinking reading the Moist von Lipwig stuff, then doubling back to finally read the Witches books. (I've finished the Watch books, Death books, Small Gods, and now The Truth and Monstrous Regiment)

Thief of time? Otherwise yes, the moist books are good.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I can't enjoy your posts so I guess I've lost it.

e: But it's cool a moderator says that people who don't read children's books are literally sub-human. Great, even.

Oh I see, you’re just really bad at reading. Tell us more, here in the Pratchett thread, how dumb it is to buy Pratchett books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

quoting myself from earlier:

Kramering in to say “I don’t like thing” and criticism aren’t the same thing despite what the SA forums might have taught you.