Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I had really high hopes for Unseen Academicals, but I was pretty let down by its scattergun approach to the plot. The UU environment and wizards have such potential on their own (eg the last continent). It really wasted most of the humour of UU, which is the absurdity of the place. The little things like the pre-dribbled candles and the Megapode hunt were the funniest bits for me. Also, for a book about football it could do with some actual gameplay description.

I'd get rid of Trev and Juliet, cut Nutt's character down to just a mysterious savant who works the dribbler and keep Glenda as she is and be much happier with it. Think of it as an 'above stairs' and 'below stairs' story about the running of the University- like Gosford Park, but with sleepy, obese mage-professors instead of landed gentry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I'd be fine with story about juliet, trev, the fashion industry etc but as it stands it's like Pratchett tried to shoehorn two different books together, and both plots are worse off for it

Grumio fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 25, 2010

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I've actually enjoyed the Tiffany Aching series more than any of the other books. I don't know what it is, but I think he's really at his best with them.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Harry, meet feegles :smug:

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Entropic posted:

I'm Halfway through Good Omens now. You can definitely spot some of the Pratchett bits. And for some reason a lot of it seems very Douglas Adamsy. Like the bit about how any tape left in a car longer than a fortnight transmogrifies into a Best Of Queen album.

Reminds me of this bit from The Last Continent:

quote:

[...] The Lecturer in Recent Runes had gone to sleep with his book carefully shading his eyes. It had originally been entitled Principles of Thaumic Propagation but, because of the action of the sunlight and some specialized high-frequency vibrations from the sand granules on the beach, the words on the cover now read The Omega Conspiracy*

*This isn't magic. It is a simple universal law. People always expect to use a holiday in the sun as an opportunity to read those books they've always meant to read, but an alchemical combination of sun, quartz crystals and coconut oil will somehow metamorphose any improving book into a rather thicker one with a name containing at least one Greek word or letter (The Gamma Imperative, the Delta Season, The Alpha Project and, in more extreme cases, even The Mu Kau Pi Caper). Sometimes a hammer and sickle turn up on the cover. This is probably caused by sunspot activity, since they are invariably the wrong way round. It's just as well the Librarian sneezed when he did, or he might have ended up a thousand pages thick and crammed with weapons specifications

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
plus some of the funniest bits in pratchett are the footnotes, which are really awkward to do outside of a book. I saw a theatre performance of Guards! Guards! and they'd ring a little bell, freeze everything and a narrator would be lit up with a spotlight to read the footnote. It worked, but it really broke the flow of the dialogue and a lot of the humour was lost.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Nilbop posted:

Oh please, he'll be listening to Queen and watching A Bit of Fry and Laurie.

Terry Pratchett posted:

[...]In a chair on the lawn, with a brandy in my hand to wash down whatever modern version of the Brompton Cocktail some helpful medic could supply. And with Thomas Tallis on my iPod, I would shake hands with Death.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

FactsAreUseless posted:

Cohen also shows up in Interesting Times and The Last Hero. He definitely gets one of the best character arcs of any of Pratchett's recurring characters, so I would recommend reading those two next. Plus Last Hero has some absolutely beautiful Paul Kidby illustration.

Not to mention Troll Bridge

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I couldn't find if this was discussed earlier, but has any other discworld novel had the word "poo poo" in it? I'm reading Snuff at the moment and so far there has been several mentions, such as "putting up with this poo poo". I've no problem with swearing, but I was surprised to see it in a Pratchett novel. Isn't he more creative with avoiding swearing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Holy poo poo this looks like garbage.