Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Krinkle posted:

In one of the previous terry pratchett threads someone said that the vimes/carrot dynamic was ripped off or based on this tv show about canadian mounties and I would love to see that show. I don't suppose anyone knows a tv show about canadian mounties like that? I mean I could try searching the archives but I have never had any luck doing that ever.

Probably Due South. I suppose Fraser is a bit Carrot like. (Plus, he's got a wolf, but I don't think they're romantically involved.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

No big deal, they'll have it cured before it causes him too much trouble, right? RIGHT??? This is the century of the fruitbat, isn't it?

I know nothing about Alzheimer's except that my Gran died from it, and it was a loving nightmare. Still, at least he won't be short of cash for any treatments they might come up with.

(I suppose the thread title might have to change at some point in the future.)

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

I think it's simply that Pratchett's (and Adams') work really relies on the written medium. Word puns and such are a lot harder to time correctly when done in film.

It's the same with Wodehouse. You can have some perfectly nice, pleasant adaptations, but it's nothing compared to the joy of actually reading his sentences. You just can't get the writing across in any other medium.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Rule .303 posted:

Kirby did sci-fi covers for DAW books for a long time. He did some of the best ones for Ron Goulart books.

Correct me if Im wrong, but didn't he also do Captain America way-back-when?

OOPS!

Jack and Josh are not the same.

Now I want to see Jack Kirby Discworld covers. And I never will.

... what I'm really saying is that someone should draw some, ASAP.