Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Everyone says Monstrous Regiment is bad but really it was good :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Vetinari wasn't the Patrician in the first two books :argh:

Pratchett claims he was.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Nomenklatura posted:

Reacher. Gilt.

gild1 /gɪld/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gild] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object), gild·ed or gilt, gild·ing. 1. to coat with gold, gold leaf, or a gold-colored substance.
2. to give a bright, pleasing, or specious aspect to.

Gilt was certainly a critique of lack of government oversight of free enterprise, but you're really reaching to call him an Objectivist parody. He didn't act like a Rand character, even in an overexagerrated and ridiculous way. If he kept crowing about the importance of some invention of his or tried to blow the clacks rather than let them be nationalized or something, then yes, sure. As is he's a run of the mill con man without any special relation to the people you think he's lampooning.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Enfenestrate posted:

I don't think he was in Wee Free Men. I can't find my copy to confirm this, but Wikipedia agrees with me.

Wee Free Men is the only book he didn't appear in. Apparently when questioned about this Pratchett pointed out that somewhere over the course of the book someone died, and there you have it.

Also Monstrous Regiment was pretty well connected to the world in general since Vimes and Angua and Reg Shoe and William de Worde were in it :colbert:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The main story and the main characters of Monstrous Regiment weren't related to anything going on in Discworld (and haven't showed up again since) while the Elves playing a major part in the story of Wee Free Men, along with Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg showing up at the end. My point was that it's kind of ridiculous to criticize Wee Free Men for somehow being disconnected from the rest of the series and then praise Monstrous Regiment in the same sentence.

The elves were never a major part of Discworld overall and the Monstrous Regiment's cameo count is higher!