Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
I always heard Night Watch as everyone's favorite Discworld book, it's good to know I'm not alone on how loving awesome Small Gods was.

Not that I didn't love Night Watch, but Small Gods was just perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I finished Making Money a couple weeks ago and I'm considering reading it again. I think it's one of Pratchett's best works thus far. Here's hoping they invent Methuselah tech so this man can write forever!

Also, I'm for reading books in publication order, I can't see why you want to do it any other way.

It's weird, but I don't think I would have fallen in love with the books quite as much if I'd started with Colour of Magic instead of The Fifth Elephant. Though I admit that was an entirely bizarre choice on my part.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
God drat, I just finished Making Money. For pure entertainment, I don't think I've ever liked a Discworld novel that much - totally awesome.

I'm glad to hear he already announced the taxes book, too :woop:

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

magimix posted:

Edit: Actually, I really, really like how the different 'tracks' of Discworld books (guards books, witches books, MvL, etc) aren't just different with respect to focus on different characters, but are stylistically different in presentation.

Speaking of this, the moment I saw the obvious setup for the next book at the end of Making Money I started to wonder when the Discworld Reading Order image would be updated to have him as an entirely new tract, "Starter Book" and all.

Edit: Man I haven't checked that thing in forever, I guess it kind of is that way already, though the first two are only tangentially related to the Moist series.

Loutre fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 11, 2007

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
That "for kids" thing worries me again.

I haven't read any of the Aching books, are they any good? He doesn't necessarily write for adults, but his stuff can be pretty complex which is what I worry would be removed for a kids book.

So yeah, Aching books: are they as good as the rest?

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

linall posted:

So I have a question for the BB people who have read the Truth and Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. Whats up with Pin/Tulip and Croup/Vandamar being so similar? Are Pin/Tulip based off of Croup/Vandamar? Or are they based off of something completely different that I haven't heard of not being British? Or is it just a case of great minds think alike?

I noticed that too, and I always just assumed it was a nod to Neverwhere. If it's a reference to something else, then it's still at least a cool coincidence.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Ah hell, I got 15 minutes in and rated the video, praying it wouldn't restart the video.

I got my wish, because now it's saying the site is temporarily unavailable. :argh: Just when it was getting good.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Finished Nation last night. I've been holding off on reading the Tiffany Aching stuff for a long time because I was afraid of its children's label, but now I'm holding off because I want there to be Pratchett novels I haven't read yet. Stupid Alzheimers :argh:

It may be Young Adult, but it was easily as entertaining as almost any Discworld novel. I can't recommend it enough, although I was kind of hoping for the fairy tale ending (Nation spoiler) with her staying on the island. :(

Loutre fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 7, 2008

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Nilbop posted:

Goddamnit I thought you were talking about the Tiffany Aching books.

I did specify in the sentence it was not a Discworld book :colbert:

Editted anyway.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

shadok posted:

I am ready for my Unseen Academicals now, please.

With all of the morbid Alzheimers articles of late, I don't know if I can bring myself to rush headlong into it.

The thought of finishing it and knowing there may never be another adult Discworld novel sucks rear end. :smith:

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Group A: The Truth
Group B: The Fifth Elephant
Group C: Making Money
Group D: Guards! Guards!
Group E: Reaper Man
Group F: Night Watch
Group G: Thud!
Group H: Small Gods

I'm thinking Night Watch will make it all the way.

Semifinals 2, Small Gods vs. Night Watch, is going to be the real final. I can't imagine any on the left coming close to beating either of those two.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Yeah, I wasn't expecting either of those outcomes. Thud beating Night Watch blows my mind, it was a fun book but I always felt the Night Watch was pretty widely agreed to be the favorite of all of them.

Small Gods losing is a little bit less surprising, I figure there has to be a sect of readers out there that it offended, that none-the-less like the rest of the books, tied with people voting for Going Postal because they liked the adaptation and it's recently on their minds.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

D-Rider posted:

So what's the general opinion of Moving Pictures? I'm about a third of the way through it right now, and it's failed to capture my interest the way the last few books in the series have (I'm reading them for the first time in publication order). I honestly can't decide if it's going slowly or if I'm subconsciously comparing it to the greatness of Guards!, Guards!. :P

I'd say most people consider it the weakest book in the series, and I mostly agree, but I prefer it to Monstrous Regiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

YggiDee posted:

The Discworld Omnibus :v: ("wider than it is tall!")

It would cost 500 dollars, and I would buy it.