Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

NastyPBears posted:

Not that the book is anything less than great. I think it is the first one where we learn that Vimes' butler Willikins is secretly hard as gently caress. He is my favourite cameo type character - I love him in Thud after the dwarfs break in to Vimes' cellar when he is all "I regret to say I was forced to deal somewhat strictly with them. I fear one might be dead"

"The ones in the cellar had an apparatus for projecting fire, sir." ... "I apprised myself of its use, sir, and tested my understanding by firing it down the tunnel they had arrived by until it ran out of igniferous juice, sir. Just in case there were more. It is for this reason, I suspect, that the shrubbery at Number Five is on fire."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

Krinkle posted:

so they're exactly the same as jelly beans except shaped like babies ok

or are they gummi bears but shaped like human children. A picture doesn't really help me out here. What are they like?

soft on the outside, softer on the inside, eat them legs-first

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

Nilbop posted:

HERE IS YOUR loving COW

LEOPARDS DON'T WEAR SHORTS, FUCKWIT

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

Leospeare posted:

If you don't count Eric (illustrated, and about half the size of most other Discworld novels so it always felt to me more like a novella than a proper novel), there was a 12-book gap in Rincewind novels from Sourcery (5) to Interesting Times (17). Even if you do count Eric (9), that's still a pretty decent gap to IT. So who knows?

Similarly Last Hero (27), The Amazing Maurice (28), Monstrous Regiment (31) and the introduction of Tiffany Aching and Moist Von Lipwig happened in between Thief of Time and now. Only time will tell, indeed.

On the other hand, the next two books to be announced are Aching and Lipwig(1), so we won't be seeing Susan for a while yet anyway.

ninja edit: also he is apparently working on a non-Discworld book called Nation, according to that wiki page. Even longer to wait now!

(1)Discworld's OTP

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

RagingPawn posted:

Can someone link me to the Pratchett file. Everywhere I try is either down, or just doesn't respond.

This is the only one I know of, it was working a few days ago but seems to be very slow now: http://www.lspace.org/books/apf/

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

daggerdragon posted:

With a 0 feedback seller, all the images are broken, and unverifiable signature authenticity? No thanks.

Images are there now, and the proceeds go to Alzheimer's research. Not that I have £2500 to fritter away, mind..

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

Moist von Lipwig posted:

:wtf::wtf: That pissed me off so badly. What the christ Daily Mail?! :argh:

The Daily Mail does and has done a lot worse than misquoting Terry, but that typifies their editorial style neatly.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

Eunabomber posted:

I disagree. The point made in the books is not that Vimes "hates kings" (he hates most authority figures if you haven't noticed) but that he hates the idea of anybody being considered outside or above the law. The salient point about his ancestor is not that he killed a king, but that he killed a king who was clearly violating the law and yet nobody else would stop him. You actually say this but then double back and say "Vimes hates kings" which is kind of simplistic and wrong.

You are right regarding how it actually is, but I think Frozen One meant Nobby's reaction is to the popular opinion of Vimes within the Discworld - cf. Nobby saying "Vimes'll go spare!" It's easier for us as outside readers to pick up "Stoneface Vimes killed a notorious criminal who happened to be a king", but in the Discworld that filters more down to "Stoneface Vimes killed...a king". And as we all know, a lie can run round the world before the truth has its boots on.

Of course, this could all be twaddle, it's been a while since I've read the older Discworld books.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

Entropic posted:

Amazing Maurice even had David Tennant in it as Dangerous Beans!

There were some good points too...

I jest, David Tennant is actually quite a decent actor, just a shame about Doctor Who really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

About 1/3rd in Moving Pictures and liking so far, even if a lot of the jokes are cornier than usual for Pratchett Holy Wood? Really?

I guess I'd probably be fine reading the his earlier Rincewind and Witches stuff. I've read much worse comedy/satire.

About fifteen miles down the motorway from me is a town called Holywood. No relation, as far as I'm aware, but I've never gone to the cinema there :tinfoil: