Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I gave my friend Guards! Guards!, and she's gotten through about half of it in 2 years of reading. Now she says it's boring, the story is always in same place, and she's returning the book to me. Is there some other book you guys think is maybe...easier to read? Or has humor that doesn't require you to have read any other books (books in general)?

I'm thinking Mort might work, or maybe one of the stand-alone ones like Small Gods or The Truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Entropic posted:

If a Terry Pratchett book is too hard, maybe they're just not a "reads books" kind of person.

Yeah, I think that's it. :smith:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

precision posted:

True, but that doesn't rule out him becoming a vampire at some point after he grows up.

I mean, Sally is said to look about 16, so clearly whatever age you get made into a vampire is the age you stay at.

I think we're over-analyzing the Disc, sorry to have started it. If any series should be barred from this kind of analysis, it's the Disc. Terry makes mistakes, contradicts himself, re-writes history, etc. all the time. In fact I think it was me who pointed out somewhere in this thread that Terry has said the notion of "canon" is not something that should be taken seriously as regards Disc matters.

Of course then there are the history monks.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Aussie Crawl posted:

On the one hand these look kick arse (Anhk Morpork Watch badge emblem for those without magic zoom eyes) but on the other hand with shipping its close to $100 Australian... I can't work out if i want it badly enough or not.

This is the kind of nerdy stuff that i can get behind, Nerd-joke shirts and stuff like that make me cringe, but the brass emblem looks great against the charcoal background and to people who don't read the books it just looks like a cool emblem while pratchett fans can have a little smile about it and go on with their day

That's pretty awesome. But 77 USD?

I like that sort of "in universe" stuff. Like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

SaintFu posted:

Sky has a trailer up for Going Postal:

http://sky1.sky.com/going-postal-about

Awesome! I just finished reading Making Money, and am ready for more von Lipwick.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I really must read Night Watch again, I read it off and on over the course of a year while traveling and didn't get much out of it.

Especially since I've only got Unseen Academicals to go and I've read everything. So sad!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Entropic posted:

Well next month is the time to do it! Remember the Glorious Revolution of the Twenty-Fifth of May!

Indeed! I'm somewhat embarrassed to say; it'll be the first Discworld book I've actually re-read.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I hope that isn't a bad thing, I've reread half of Pratchetts early stuff at least two or three times.

Almost done with The Truth, I love how Pin and Tulip are two Anglo-American organised crime stereotypes with their own slight unique touches.

No I just feel like a bad fan.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It doesn't really have to be "about" football, I think it was just a more positive spin on the "mob" that we saw in Night Watch. Or well, positive in that it ended somewhat peaceably.

Also I don't really watch of play football, so I was totally lost when Stibbons was explaining the off-sides rule...

All told though, it was enjoyable, I could have done without the fashion plot, since it seemed to go nowhere.

Nobbs (no relation)

Has anyone read the graphic novels? I was returning UA to the library and happened to see Color of Magic/Light Fantastic, so I picked it up.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

They're not particularly good, mainly because the comic artists/writers don't have Pratchett's comedic timing. That's a pretty common problem, it seems, with his works on different mediums.

The real rare graphic novel is the FaustERIC one. It's not in print anymore, no stores have it, and I've barely seen people on the net ever talk about it.

Yeah, Color isn't that great so far. It's kinda cool to read Discworld in a different form though. I wouldn't pay money for it though.

It does have a few things going for it though: Rincewind isn't a fifty year old man, and Twoflower isn't an American.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Tornhelm posted:

And if you'd ever had to deal with American tourists in any significant capacity, you'd realise that Pterry pretty much nailed the average American tourist. The Agatean Empire has elements of multiple cultures - drawing elements from Japan, Turkey and America most notably.

B...but I myself am an American tourist!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So is the consensus that I can show Going Postal to non-Discworld fans and *not* feel embarrassed?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Finally got around to watching Going Postal; it was pretty solid. I didn't like that Angua kept growling and then turned into a wolf, I thought she never let anyone see her "change"? Ridcully definitely needed to be more buff looking, it looked like they just cast "generic wizard" instead of looking into the character at all.

Also, do you Englanders actually say "Aink" (like the ai in pain I guess) Morpork instead of "Onk" Morpork?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Nilbop posted:

To coincide with that other cup that's going on in the world today:

http://www.discworldcup.co.uk/

Group A: The Truth
Group B: The Fifth Elephant
Group C: Making Money
Group D: Guards! Guards!
Group E: Reaper Man
Group F: Night Watch
Group G: Thud!
Group H: Small Gods

I'm thinking Night Watch will make it all the way.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

seaborgium posted:

I think Making Money could give Night Watch a run for the money.

Feet of Clay is up by 4% (+/- 3%) over Making Money right now though :ohdear:. That winner will have to contend with Guards! which is destroying Group D.

Actually, it's really a contest over the best Watch book...

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Entropic posted:

So how much of Good Omens did Gaiman actually write? It really reads like a Pratchett book. Granted, I haven't really read anything of Gaiman's...

All the best bits are definitely with Crowley and Aziraphale, or the four Bikers of the Apocalypse.

It felt like Gaiman like, sketched the plot, and then Pratchett just wrote everything.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The best part of UA was Nutt or whoever trying to explain the offsides rule. I couldn't understand it at all :psyduck:.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

Men at Arms and Thud are the last two for the Discworld Cup, I was expecting Night Watch in the final and wasn't suprised the Watch books were the winners nearly all the time.

Going Postal beat Small Gods...whhaaaa :psyduck:. I mean, Going Postal was good and all, but come on, Brother Brutha!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

wheatpuppy posted:

:aaa:

Oh, for Christ's sake! If asked I would call Small Gods my favorite book by Pratchett, and in fact one of my favorite books ever. I cannot believe I never noticed that. My sole weak defense is that in my head I always pronounced his name as rhyming with Ruth-ah.

I actually didn't notice until uh, well until my sister mentioned it when she finished Small Gods a week or so ago...

I did the "broo-thuh" thing too :ohdear:....

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What is the 12 1/2 percent joke? I don't remember that one.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

rejutka posted:

Reacher Gilt of Going Postal fame dressed like a pirate and had a parrot that squawked "Twelve and a half per cent!" Convert it to a fraction.

That is mildly amusing.

:yarr:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I'll tentatively call Witches Abroad, I think I never read it, but I have to check my stash in the garage.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

That's awesome.

I'm going to withdraw my interest, though. I just saw that I actually DO own a copy of the Fifth Elephant.

In that case I'll take Fifth Elephant (+ Witches Abroad).

I also apparently missed Carpe Jugulum and Maskerade :psyduck:, no wonder I barely remember any of the Witch books...I hardly read any of them!

PM'd you ONE YEAR LATER.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Thanks for the books ONE YEAR LATER!!!!! (five!?)

Their spines shall forever remain uncreased.

pnumoman posted:

I envy you, as you have the bulk of his wonderful work ahead. There are ups and downs, but by and large his stuff is just fabulous.

And can I just say that if he's forced to stop writing before the next Lipwig book, I'm gonna be a horribly depressed panda. Well, I'm gonna be depressed anyway when he stops, but even more so, I imagine.

What's cool about Pratchett is that he steadily gets better, instead of the first book being awesome and then petering out until a lackluster book 15 or whatever causes you to say 'gently caress it'. Normally I'd say 'book 3', but I know goons MUST READ EVERY BOOK in a series, even if they don't like it.

Yeah I'll be happy as long as Raising Taxes comes out. I say that now of course.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

To be quite honest, I sort of wish The Last Hero had not come out. It would've been the perfect book to end the series on, with the themes of saying goodbye while also starting an (unwritten) new story.

Good to know. Since I've never read it, I'll save it for last for the optimal Discworld :qq: experience.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

ThaGhettoJew posted:

YOU THINK IT'S OVER?

It is a football joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Three Red Lights posted:

From a meteorite.

e; apparantly this is it